Michigan State c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone notice the webinar dates on the email are different to the ones that appear on the registration link or that just me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS rejection! A little bit surprised because I applied with a 3.8, research experience, a variety of veterinary experiences, and I scored in the 4th quartile for the CASPER, but I guess that's just how it goes! Congratulations to everyone who received an invite!!:love:
Same! With over 2000 vet hours and 3000 animal experience. & worked with 3 different vets. Ugh but good luck everyone else!

Did anyone notice the webinar dates on the email are different to the ones that appear on the registration link or that just me?
Yes! I emailed them back stating just that asking for them to confirm the real date and time. I’ll let you know if I hear anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same! With over 2000 vet hours and 3000 animal experience. & worked with 3 different vets. Ugh but good luck everyone else!
Same here. 3.9 GPA, 1500 vet hours w/ a good amount of diversity, 4th quartile casper. This is my second rejection. This process is a total mind****!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I did apply to 11 schools and I have 4 interview invites coming up, so I'm not TOO heartbroken, but this was my first rejection so it hurts a little bit.
I applied to 13! I already have acceptances to two and also interviews for two more coming up but i just got denied from Washington as well & it really makes me wonder what else they could possible want 😂 lol

I applied to 13! I already have acceptances to two and also interviews to two more coming up but i just got denied from Washington as well & it really makes me wonder what else they could possible want 😂 lol
Sometimes I think it’s all very random… they receive so many qualified applicants and there’s no way they can interview or accept them all. They must see one part of our apps or essays that they like or dislike and that’s what separates us from one another. It’s a very confusing process lol

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm a 1st time for MSU, do we know how this webinar works? Like how many they accept after the webinar, and it's all based on Casper score then?
Those invited to the webinar are accepted or waitlisted at this point. My class is 60 IS and 55 OOS. They always over accept by a few seats, and according to last years stats, of the 1200 OOS applicants, about 230 were invited to the webinar, and of those, 157 were offered seats and the rest waitlisted. There was an increase in applicants once again this year, so those numbers might be a bit greater.

As for the CASPer, from what I understand, it plays a part in the next phase of the process, but your overall application (excluding GPA) is what’s looked over!

Congrats to those invited to the webinar!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ok I’m beginning to worry now. I am IS and was originally reject but then moved to file review because of an error in my gpa calculation or at least that is what I was told from admissions. I was suppose to hear back the week after thanksgiving and still have not heard anything. I’ve been emailing admissions but I still haven’t heard anything back from them. I feel like it’s too late now 😞

View attachment 346844 Here’s a screenshot I have from one of their webinars if this helps. They mentioned after you pass the academic review your gpa will not be factored in anymore.
Soo are final decisions about who is accepted or waitlisted after webinar invites based only on the CASPer test or does it include everything??

When do we find out who is accepted and who is waitlisted?

Soo are final decisions about who is accepted or waitlisted after webinar invites based only on the CASPer test or does it include everything??
I can only go off of previous replies saying they look at Casper after the file review. I really don’t know. I went ahead and attached the PowerPoint presentation they gave us during one of their information sessions that I hope you guys will find useful!

Attachments

• DVM admissions information - 2021-2022 - 2.pdf
    881.6 KB · Views: 214
From what I can remember from last year, CASPer plays a role of course, but your overall application is still weighted and considered.
When do we find out who is accepted and who is waitlisted?
Last year IS and OOS found out on February 10th whether they were waitlisted or accepted! And for those curious, MSU does do a ranked waitlist— but there’s a separate one for OOS and IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I’m beginning to worry now. I am IS and was originally reject but then moved to file review because of an error in my gpa calculation or at least that is what I was told from admissions. I was suppose to hear back the week after thanksgiving and still have not heard anything. I’ve been emailing admissions but I still haven’t heard anything back from them. I feel like it’s too late now 😞
I’m so sorry you’re in this boat! It can’t feel good. My only recommendation is to try calling them if you haven’t already? The CVM’s on winter break right now, so I don’t know if that’s playing a part in them not responding yet. Hoping nothing but the best for you!

Anyone know the chance of being accepted rather than the waitlist? I’m actually pretty shocked to get an invite since I’ve been rejected from other schools, I’m OOS and my gpa is about 3.45ish. I’m almost feeling like it’s a mistake or something 😬. But I’m trying not to get too stressed thinking about it.

Anyone know the chance of being accepted rather than the waitlist? I’m actually pretty shocked to get an invite since I’ve been rejected from other schools, I’m OOS and my gpa is about 3.45ish. I’m almost feeling like it’s a mistake or something 😬. But I’m trying not to get too stressed thinking about it.
I've been rejected by two so far and also have around the same gpa as you. Michigan definitely saw something in our application and we have to be proud of that, we are way more than a number as cliché as it sounds.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a hair above a 3.0, OOS. However, I have a very unique application that is likely why I got an invite, with the academic odds extremely against my favor. I've also been doing a DIY post bacc while working full time, but amounts to just 18 credits at this moment. I think Michigan is one of those rare schools that actually reads OOS apps rather than cutting everything below a certain raised GPA standard. Don't doubt it!

Reactions: 3 users
Michigan State doesn’t really use GPA as a huge admittance factor anymore. If you have above a 3.0 in the main categories, they move you on to the next phase and look over the rest of your application! GPA is just a cut off mark.

As for chances, not to stress people out further, but MSU’s class size is 115– 60 IS and 55 OOS. This chart can kind of give you a feel for the breakdown of those interviewed/accepted/waitlisted from last year!

1639854397435.png

I've been rejected by two so far and also have around the same gpa as you. Michigan definitely saw something in our application and we have to be proud of that, we are way more than a number as cliché as it sounds.
Me too, rejected by 2 and radio silence from the others. You’re right!

I have a hair above a 3.0, OOS. However, I have a very unique application that is likely why I got an invite, with the academic odds extremely against my favor. I've also been doing a DIY post bacc while working full time, but amounts to just 18 credits at this moment. I think Michigan is one of those rare schools that actually reads OOS apps rather than cutting everything below a certain raised GPA standard. Don't doubt it!
Wow great job! I’m so glad I added Michigan to my list of schools I was applying to. I read their website and seemed like they looked at more than numbers. Even if I get waitlisted that means I know I can do better for next cycle.

Michigan State doesn’t really use GPA as a huge admittance factor anymore. If you have above a 3.0 in the main categories, they move you on to the next phase and look over the rest of your application! GPA is just a cut off mark.

As for chances, not to stress people out further, but MSU’s class size is 115– 60 IS and 55 OOS. This chart can kind of give you a feel for the breakdown of those interviewed/accepted/waitlisted from last year!

View attachment 346982
This is why I applied to Michigan. They seemed to have a great oos and is admittance ration. Unlike Virginia Maryland I just got rejected from, seems more difficult since they have 2 states having seats. And I didn’t realize that more of the other application will be looked at now and not as much gpa, that makes me feel good!

OOS rejection. I honestly didn't mind much it was the lowest on my list. Congrats to those who did get an invite!!

View attachment 346982
Okay I’ve looked at this so many times on their website and I’m not 100% sure so ill ask here - what do they mean by applicants selected??

Okay I’ve looked at this so many times on their website and I’m not 100% sure so ill ask here - what do they mean by applicants selected??
I think applicants selected is who they give acceptances/waitlist to. Applicated admitted is who actually says yes to their spot?

I think applicants selected is who they give acceptances/waitlist to. Applicated admitted is who actually says yes to their spot?
And applicants interviewed would be those Invited to the virtual reception essentially, right? I guess it’s not making sense how the numbers differ if people are saying getting invited to that means you’ll be accepted or waitlisted. Or am I just overthinking?

And applicants interviewed would be those Invited to the virtual reception essentially, right? I guess it’s not making sense how the numbers differ if people are saying getting invited to that means you’ll be accepted or waitlisted. Or am I just overthinking?
From what I'm guessing (lol), I think the number for interviewed is our current stage (invited to webinar), number for selected is who they choose for admittance (whether is admitted vs waitlist, not sure) , and the 55 is who actually accepts the spot

Here's how I interpreted it: For OOS: 231 are interviewed. In our case 231 are invited to webinar. 157 are accepted of those 231, and 55 choose to accept and attend. Since at the top it says 222 offers are made ( 157 OOS + 65 IS).

Here's how I interpreted it: For OOS: 231 are interviewed. In our case 231 are invited to webinar. 157 are accepted of those 231, and 55 choose to accept and attend. Since at the top it says 222 offers are made ( 157 OOS + 65 IS).
So 157 are accepted while the remaining 74 are waitlisted? So selected is essentially how many they accept and whatever isn’t accepted yet included in the “interviewed” portion is waitlisted?

So 157 are accepted while the remaining 74 are waitlisted? So selected is essentially how many they accept and whatever isn’t accepted yet included in the “interviewed” portion is waitlisted?
Yep, that's how I understand it!

Yep, that's how I understand it!
I’ll guess that’s also the total number accepted even after being placed on the waitlist initially, I find it hard to believe that many were accepted right away

I’ll guess that’s also the total number accepted even after being placed on the waitlist initially, I find it hard to believe that many were accepted right away
It is probably the total number of accepted applicants, including those that were pulled of the waitlist...
They probably don't accept that many right away. I'm sure you could call for clarification though.

It is probably the total number of accepted applicants, including those that were pulled of the waitlist...
They probably don't accept that many right away. I'm sure you could call for clarification though.
Definitely makes more sense now! I guess I was thinking of selected more as an overall accepted and waitlisted rather than just those offered spots and it wasn’t making sense in my mind if everyone interviewed/invited to the reception is accepted or waitlisted

OOS rejection. I honestly didn't mind much it was the lowest on my list. Congrats to those who did get an invite!!
What are your stats and experiences?

What are your stats and experiences?
Overall: 3.51
Science: 3.50
Last 45: 3.87
Casper quartile: 4
Small animal clinic hours: 1100
wildlife rehabilitation center hours: 200
extracurriculars: Rotaract club: 250 hours, vet tech club: 400ish hours,
other work experience:
Best Buy: 5000+ hours of security, warehouse, and back end work
7/11: 350 hours
Starbucks: 100 hours before applying currently above 800
Supermarket: 400 hours
Awards: Deans list from Spring 2020-Spring 2021
Overall I had a pretty diverse amount of experience between veterinary work and veterinary work (I live in NY so I can't really get large animals without going out east and I can't afford to do that). I'm just happy I got into another school cuz otherwise I'd be freaking out rn

I also was OOS rejected, cGPA: 3.6, science: 3.75, and 4th quartile casper! I was also accepted to another school so feeling good and also got an interview invite to my top school!

Last edited:
Overall: 3.51
Science: 3.50
Last 45: 3.87
Casper quartile: 4
Small animal clinic hours: 1100
wildlife rehabilitation center hours: 200
extracurriculars: Rotaract club: 250 hours, vet tech club: 400ish hours,
other work experience:
Best Buy: 5000+ hours of security, warehouse, and back end work
7/11: 350 hours
Starbucks: 100 hours before applying currently above 800
Supermarket: 400 hours
Awards: Deans list from Spring 2020-Spring 2021
Overall I had a pretty diverse amount of experience between veterinary work and veterinary work (I live in NY so I can't really get large animals without going out east and I can't afford to do that). I'm just happy I got into another school cuz otherwise I'd be freaking out rn
Congrats, May I ask where you applied ? And where you got accepted, please?

I also was OOS rejected, cGPA: 3.6, science: 3.75, and 4th quartile casper! I was also accepted to another school so feeling good and also got an interview invite to my top school!
What schools did you apply to and where have you been accepted?

What schools did you apply to and where have you been accepted?
I applied to Midwestern (accepted), Virginia-Maryland (invite), Upenn, Minnesota, Illinois, OVC

Congrats, May I ask where you applied ? And where you got accepted, please?
I applied to Midwestern (accepted), Kansas (invite), Oregon, Colorado, Ohio, here, and Florida (denied)

Did you guys receive your notification of acceptance/rejection via email? Does anyone have a portal log in? I cant seem to remember if i got a log in.

Did you guys receive your notification of acceptance/rejection via email? Does anyone have a portal log in? I cant seem to remember if i got a log in.
No log in. Everything so far has been via email.

OOS first time reception invite!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS first time applicant reception invite!! Super excited!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I heard back from Lauren Brown of Admissions and the correct date for the webinar is January 24th 515-645 ET, not the 20th!

I heard back from Lauren Brown of Admissions and the correct date for the webinar is January 24th 515-645 ET, not the 20th!
So two dates - Jan 7th and Jan 20th? Bc I confirmed for Jan 7th. Lol

So two dates - Jan 7th and Jan 20th? Bc I confirmed for Jan 7th. Lol
No no January 7th and 24th! Lol 20th was a mistake on their part. I confirmed with them because it didn’t match.