Midwestern University C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that are accepted, have you thought about housing? I've been accepted but live in North Carolina so i'm still waiting to hear from my instate school, but not sure what I'm going to do about housing if I end up going to Midwestern.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that are accepted, have you thought about housing? I've been accepted but live in North Carolina so i'm still waiting to hear from my instate school, but not sure what I'm going to do about housing if I end up going to Midwestern.

I am in the same boat as you. I am also from NC and waiting. I've tried to think about housing but I'm not sure if I'd want to live on or off campus (I've always lived off campus but the location looks nice) or live with another vet student, alone, or with a different professional student.

I'm leaning rewards cheap off campus with a roommate and possibly slightly furnished house. I have 0 furniture to my name that will be worth moving across the country with. So I'll probably be hunting goodwills and garage sales for some house items. :)

I am in the same boat as you. I am also from NC and waiting. I've tried to think about housing but I'm not sure if I'd want to live on or off campus (I've always lived off campus but the location looks nice) or live with another vet student, alone, or with a different professional student.

I'm leaning rewards cheap off campus with a roommate and possibly slightly furnished house. I have 0 furniture to my name that will be worth moving across the country with. So I'll probably be hunting goodwills and garage sales for some house items. :)

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I think I'd like to live off campus, mostly because I think in the long run it will be cheaper. I agree with the furnished part, im not for hauling anything 2,300 miles. Is midwestern one of your top choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Midwestern may be one of my top choices. I know it's a lot of money and brand new, but I really loved the school. (Location isn't a huge problem for me, I love traveling and living in new areas. It sucks being away from family but I'll be so busy in vet school I'll probably hardly see them no matter where I go).

Reactions: 1 users
I recently got an interview invite and would like to ask a couple of quick questions to those of you who have already been through the interview process.

If I were to bring a family member up to the school with me on interview day, would they be able to participate in the daily activities with me (aside from the interview of course)? I know some schools encourage family to take part in tours and such, but I wasn’t sure about Midwestern.

Also, does anyone have any tips for preparing for my interview?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
I recently got an interview invite and would like to ask a couple of quick questions to those of you who have already been through the interview process.

If I were to bring a family member up to the school with me on interview day, would they be able to participate in the daily activities with me (aside from the interview of course)? I know some schools encourage family to take part in tours and such, but I wasn’t sure about Midwestern.

Thank you in advance!
It's a really laid back interview and they are all very nice. Just know yourself and why you want to be a vet and how you would handle moving if necessary. Also you can bring family and they can go on the tour with you and hang out.

Thank you in advance!
Hey out of curiously, when did you get your invite? Was your application put on the interview waitlist? Congrats!

Hey out of curiously, when did you get your invite? Was your application put on the interview waitlist? Congrats!

I got the invite on 1/15. I never received the letter saying I was on a wait list. I just assumed after a while that I had been flat out rejected. So I was certainly super happy to get the invite. Best of luck to you!

I got the invite on 1/15. I never received the letter saying I was on a wait list. I just assumed after a while that I had been flat out rejected. So I was certainly super happy to get the invite. Best of luck to you!

I received one too! Just found it in my junk mail last night after checking the portal and realizing something had changed. What day are you going? 1/21 or one of the later dates?

I received one too! Just found it in my junk mail last night after checking the portal and realizing something had changed. What day are you going? 1/21 or one of the later dates?

I am going to have to pick one of the later dates. 1/21 and 1/28 were too soon. I am really hoping it doesn't hurt my chances, but there was no way I was going to be able to pick the earlier dates.

I am going to have to pick one of the later dates. 1/21 and 1/28 were too soon. I am really hoping it doesn't hurt my chances, but there was no way I was going to be able to pick the earlier dates.
I was worried about that too. The 28th isn't available anymore so I chose Feb. 4th. Only option I had really to get there as soon as I can.

Hello, if you don't mind me asking. When did you submit your VMCAS application? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Portal was just updated with an interview invite! :soexcited: Does anyone know if choosing a later date will harm chances of possibly being accepted? I'm worried about taking too much time off in the middle of February since I have two others scheduled then as well

Also, anyone who's already gone for an interview, did you use public transportation? the shuttle service? I don't have a credit card (only debit) so renting a car is kind of out for me...

Also, anyone who's already gone for an interview, did you use public transportation? the shuttle service? I don't have a credit card (only debit) so renting a car is kind of out for me...

I used super shuttle for airport/hotel and it was fine. Going to the airport I grabbed the earliest shuttle and was bored out of my mind because we spent an hour and half picking up other people (and still got to airport with plenty of time for me. I just worried.) and I used the hotel shuttle for hotel/school. They knew what they were doing and got me there early and picked me up in a timely fashion.

I was in the January 23rd interview, I think it was pretty nice. I enjoyed the tour a lot! Did anyone else get interviewed that day? What did you think of the school?

Is anyone interviewing on February 24th? I didn't want to interview so late, but I couldn't fly out earlier due to work. I have a million questions! What are some questions they asked during your interview? Is anyone else applying with the goal of doing research? I'm giving myself some extra time out there to explore the area, since I haven't vacationed in forever. Where are the best places to eat? If anyone else is interviewing that day, we should get together for dinner after the interviews!

@LabRat5 - They mostly ask questions about you, your experiences and your expectations, nothing tricky. I used trip adviser to find places to eat and wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't there long and I was specifically looking for Mexican food, which there is no shortage of.
Was the interview behavioral-based?

I was there a week before the hospital opened, so I'm curious how it's doing now. Did it seem busy/good case load?

They are scheduling appointments 2-3 weeks out and a month for Saturday appointments. They are currently scaling back on accepting new patients because there is not enough staff to handle the demand. Despite this, they are still being very selective in hiring to form the right team of clinicians and support staff for the vet students. My dog had an appointment there last week for a cardiac evaluation and got to "break in" a new vet being only her second client. She was fantastic! By far the my favorite vet I've ever taken my dog to. I then saw her on campus a couple of days ago and she remembered my name and my dog's name :) I think we're heading in the right direction and I can't wait to be a 24 hour specialty hospital. Students can go hang out at the teaching hospital any time.

Was the interview behavioral-based?
No, I think I had one behavioral question. It was more like a normal conversation you'd have with someone you're meeting for the first time and having coffee with. We even talked about where I could board my horses near campus and how the horses handle the summer heat.

I am losing my hope.... Haven't heard anything. Does anyone know when they send rejections?

I've been accepted to my IS school, so I will be contacting MWU soon to let them know I won't be attending in the fall. Good luck to everyone else! Enjoy those shiny new toys in the hospital!

Happy for you Jilary. I've been watching the Penn thread. I was super excited when I saw you got in. Glad that your son will get to stay put. :)

I've been accepted to my IS school, so I will be contacting MWU soon to let them know I won't be attending in the fall. Good luck to everyone else! Enjoy those shiny new toys in the hospital!

Yay! Congratulations!

hey guys! my portal just asked me to update my current address (again)... did anyone else notice this on theirs? i'm going to assume it is for a rejection letter to be sent off.. :/

hey guys! my portal just asked me to update my current address (again)... did anyone else notice this on theirs? i'm going to assume it is for a rejection letter to be sent off.. :/
It did the same for me. I just interviewed this week, so I don't think it's just for rejections. Hopefully

Okay so I've posted here before (under hagelult) but the site one day decided it wasn't going to allow me to log in anymore, contacted the admins and they weren't any help so I had to make a whole new account (just in case I sounded familiar to anyone).

Anyways, I had three other interviews but I've thought long and hard and I really think Midwestern is where I want to go - will probably be putting down my deposit within the next few weeks once I get the money together. I just loved the school so much and I only applied to oos schools so tuition is going to outrageous regardless.

Has anyone else decided for sure that they're going to Midwestern? What is everyone doing for housing and is anyone thinking about housing together? I think it would probably be cheapest to get an apartment or townhouse off campus with a few people to divide up rent and I think it would be nice to be living with other vet students to study together. I'm from New York so I'm going to be halfway across the country from my family and friends so it would be nice to not be living alone! :) So if anyone is interested in rooming together let me know. It would (obviously) have to be pet-friendly housing - I'll be bringing my dog with me. She's a 4 year old bloodhound - she gets along very well with other dogs and cats.

I really love Midwestern university. I know I want to go someplace warm for vet school, so it's either Midwestern or University of Florida (depending on how my interview goes). UFL still wants me to take animal nutrition and animal science. Either way Midwestern is definitely one of my top choices

Am I the only one hasn't heard anything?
I thought the same thing, but they interview in batches so I wouldn't worry too much because they are interviewing through February based on the dates they had available. Hang tight! I hope it works out for all of us!:)

Average GPA: 3.19???? That's the average????

No I didn't receive anything, no email, no portal update...
I haven't received anything yet either (apart from the wait list interview letter). At this point, I wouldn't be as interested in interviewing since I already received an acceptance to a school I prefer. I think in the future, it would benefit them to notify all applicants sooner - not hearing anything at this stage in the game may alienate some otherwise good candidates.

Also, I am interviewing on the last date, 2/24. Any tips? What kind of questions did they ask? I'm also staying for a couple of days to explore. What are some good places to eat and some interesting things to do? Is anyone else interviewing that day?

Ok.... One more question! How much is the deposit? I've heard it's pretty high compared to other schools.

What in the world does a composite GRE score of 56.1 mean? Was that supposed to be 256.1? Or a percentage? Or has vet school just destroyed my brain?

What in the world does a composite GRE score of 56.1 mean? Was that supposed to be 256.1? Or a percentage? Or has vet school just destroyed my brain?
I think they mean percentile?

I think a lot of students were hesitant to attend a brand new school, and the GPA/GRE scores will be drastically higher for this year.

For those of you that have already interviewed, how long did they say it will take to hear back?