Minnesota c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is hopping tonight. Not much diversity, but we are keeping it alive. I am so ridiculously excited about this fall its crazy. It makes me feel like bowling or something. I can't wait to know where I'm gonna be living, or go to the fair, or meet you all, or start classes. We should have a weekend celebration of bowling and state fair before classes. A cookout perhaps?

I am SO in 🙂. I can't wait either.

But right now, I really should go do something productive.

Later gators.
 
I considered sending in a picture of me as a child because I was an awesome lil' guy and have many pictures to prove it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is hopping tonight. Not much diversity, but we are keeping it alive. I am so ridiculously excited about this fall its crazy. It makes me feel like bowling or something. I can't wait to know where I'm gonna be living, or go to the fair, or meet you all, or start classes. We should have a weekend celebration of bowling and state fair before classes. A cookout perhaps?

Oh for sure, we'll have to have multiple events. When are you moving?

E's comment inspired me browse your photos. I like the one of you giving Gracey a burger. Awesome grin. That conveys normal, awesome, kind, loves dog nicely, at least.

Still looking for the "anniverary" one...
 
Aww, Gracey was our St. Bernard that died a year and a half ago. Best dog ever. Now I have a new Gracie (same name by chance) that is wonderful as well but very different. New Gracie is the lab mix near the beginning with the funny ears
 
It is the very first picture I believe. I'm a little kid asleep on a stool or something?

Ha! That is awesome. I totally skipped that one, thinking it was some random little kid.

But I scanned through about 100 photos of you and have pretty much come to the conclusion that we absolutely need to be friends! You seem as studly/humorous/cool/kind/normal/weird as promised. 🙂
 
Aww, Gracey was our St. Bernard that died a year and a half ago. Best dog ever. Now I have a new Gracie (same name by chance) that is wonderful as well but very different. New Gracie is the lab mix near the beginning with the funny ears

Gracey looked SO excited about that burger. Love that you have a new Gracie.

Must get back to physics, though. Have utterly failed in only posting between problems.
 
The friends part is definitely true! I don't know about all of the other nonsense though. Haha. Good luck with physics! I'm going to try and head to bed sometime soon so I can get up early and start studying.
 
I have been laughing my way through the lasts posts b/w parietal, elliepants, and scubblescully. I thought I was the only one obsessing over what picture to post and if I gave the "right" answers to the survey monkey questions. I've been trying to decide if I should take self-portraits of myself with hair that took me and hour to straighten, or the more likely student scenario of my very naturally curly hair nearly in dread locks. I wanted to make a good first impression, but worried that my classmates might not recognize me if they saw me with the afro-puff-LOL.

Good luck on your finals everyone!!!
 
I felt so vain looking through all those pictures of me in my iPhoto. I eventually just picked one that didn't need any cropping and dropped it in.
 
I have been laughing my way through the lasts posts b/w parietal, elliepants, and scubblescully. I thought I was the only one obsessing over what picture to post and if I gave the "right" answers to the survey monkey questions. I've been trying to decide if I should take self-portraits of myself with hair that took me and hour to straighten, or the more likely student scenario of my very naturally curly hair nearly in dread locks. I wanted to make a good first impression, but worried that my classmates might not recognize me if they saw me with the afro-puff-LOL.

Good luck on your finals everyone!!!

It's a big decision!🙂
 
:laugh: If it's any picture we need to be concerned about, it's the one that hangs on the vet school wall for ever and ever.

Oh, good lord, do you not LOVE the hairstyles on the 80-89 cohorts??? I would want nothing more than to die if there was a permanent record of me looking like that on public display.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just emailed my picture. My dog was mad I picked one that she isn't in. Oh well, I can't make everybody happy...
 
so its the beginning of may. us OOS waitlisters are supposed to be hearing soon about the change in our status... good luck to us all!!
 
Its so exciting that we'll have more new classmates soon! I can't wait for exam week to be over so I can relax and just be excited about vet school approaching.
 
so its the beginning of may. us OOS waitlisters are supposed to be hearing soon about the change in our status... good luck to us all!!

Good luck!

Don't forget to hop on the Facebook group and scream if/when you get in!
 
Yes, definitely hit up the facebook group. It has been slow lately and needs to be picked up by fresh faces!
 
Don't forget to hop on the Facebook group and scream if/when you get in!

Yes, definitely hit up the facebook group. It has been slow lately and needs to be picked up by fresh faces!

👍 Very true!

I get so excited when anyone -- but especially someone new -- posts on the Intro thread or even just on the roll call! 🙂 Or anywhere else for that matter. 😀
 
Last edited:
Yes, definitely hit up the facebook group. It has been slow lately and needs to be picked up by fresh faces!

SO slow- we definitely need some new folks.

In-staters... are you bringing a guest to the resident welcome on the 20th?

I checked in with Amy Babcock, and she mentioned that everyone could bring one guest.
 
Hey guys... I'm going to Tuskegee in the fall but I applied to the UMN MPH starting this summer. I'm still waiting to hear back but does anyone have housing suggestions? I've been on the housing website but since I have no idea where anything is I thought someone here might have some input. Looking for a safe place close to the school for the summer institute session. Thanks!
 
Hey guys... I'm going to Tuskegee in the fall but I applied to the UMN MPH starting this summer. I'm still waiting to hear back but does anyone have housing suggestions? I've been on the housing website but since I have no idea where anything is I thought someone here might have some input. Looking for a safe place close to the school for the summer institute session. Thanks!

Awesome! I'm attending the institute too!

There is a list of short term housing options: http://www.housing.umn.edu/offcampus/temp.shtml (The MPH classes are on the Minneapolis campus's West Bank, but there is a free bus that runs between all the campuses, so you can probably live wherever you want.)

Or you can live right on campus for the session: http://www.housing.umn.edu/summer/index.html

Or you could join the Facebook group and see if any of the second-, third- or fourth-year vet students have partial summer sublets or just wouldn't mind a roommate for a few weeks....

Good luck, and hope to see you in a couple weeks!! Which classes are you taking?
 
Last edited:
In-staters... are you bringing a guest to the resident welcome on the 20th?

I checked in with Amy Babcock, and she mentioned that everyone could bring one guest.

No guests for me. I'm single and too old to bring either of my parents. 😀

How about you, E? Bringing the boyfriend?

Italia? Can your husband come?
 
🙂 I'm not sure yet. I'm not a super-extroverted person- so I'm afraid I'll get all withdrawn and weird if I bring him along.

On the other hand, he loves free food and tours. And I hate going to social events alone...
 
🙂 I'm not sure yet. I'm not a super-extroverted person- so I'm afraid I'll get all withdrawn and weird if I bring him along.

On the other hand, he loves free food and tours. And I hate going to social events alone...

I know the feeling. Despite online appearances, I am naturally an introvert. And while I'm fine alone meeting new people, I tend to be much more withdrawn when I'm with someone I know well. Don't really understand why. Maybe it's kind of a sink or swim thing?
 
I know the feeling. Despite online appearances, I am naturally an introvert. And while I'm fine alone meeting new people, I tend to be much more withdrawn when I'm with someone I know well. Don't really understand why. Maybe it's kind of a sink or swim thing?


I'm actually pretty nervous about the event- big group social situations are hard for me (especially when you want to make a good impression). Small groups and one-on-one are completely fine- but for some reason I just feel super uncomfortable in big groups of new people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
elliepants and parietal,
Don't worry! Everyone will love you at the event I'm sure. If you get too uncomfortable and need to become introverted you can do so with each other perhaps?
 
Although when I get to school, I think I will be more nervous meeting the people I have "met" already on SDN and facebook because they will already have an opinion about me while nobody else will.
 
No guests for me. I'm single and too old to bring either of my parents. 😀

How about you, E? Bringing the boyfriend?

Italia? Can your husband come?

My husband and I are signed up. It's natural to be a little nervous, but remember that we are all in this together. We are going to be there for each other for the next four years so why not start now. These things are always a little awkward but will only be as fun as we make it.
 
My husband and I are signed up. It's natural to be a little nervous, but remember that we are all in this together. We are going to be there for each other for the next four years so why not start now. These things are always a little awkward but will only be as fun as we make it.

Thanks, girl. I'll see you guys there!
 
Although when I get to school, I think I will be more nervous meeting the people I have "met" already on SDN and facebook because they will already have an opinion about me while nobody else will.

Well, unless you're a huge jerk and you're just pretending to be nice, I'm pretty sure we'll like you.

🙂
 
I wonder what our classes female/male ratio is going to end up being? I hope it isn't too extreme, but mainly I hope everyone gets along.
 
I wonder what our classes female/male ratio is going to end up being? I hope it isn't too extreme, but mainly I hope everyone gets along.

Agreed. I've heard things get ugly between vet school classmates.

I really hope we're different.
 
Ya,
I feel like if the people who don't normally get involved in drama keep from getting sucked into it then nothing will be too bad. "Ducks fly together!" (couldn't help it... I watched Mighty Ducks the other night and got so excited about the Twin Cities).

Ok, back to studying!
 
Agreed. I've heard things get ugly between vet school classmates.

I really hope we're different.

I think the main thing is remembering that we're all going to be under a lot of stress and together A LOT. At some point, we will all probably blow up or say something we don't mean. That's life. But the important thing is that we all forgive each other and move on. It's kind of like a relationship, I think. Only with 99 other people. 😀

And one the other thing: can we try not to bitch about vet school ALL the time? Yeah, I'm sure it will have it's sucky moments -- probably quite a few of them -- but IT'S STILL VET SCHOOL!!!! 😍
 
Although when I get to school, I think I will be more nervous meeting the people I have "met" already on SDN and facebook because they will already have an opinion about me while nobody else will.

But if the opinion is good, then that's a good thing, right?

Plus, we're going to have to have some pre-orientation class get-togethers!

In addition to your fantastic state fair idea, I think we should do the Renaissance Festival, too. SO much fun! And wonderfully nerdy! Last year someone was wearing this T-shirt. 😀
 
I have no idea. I'm coming up sometime in the next month or so to try and find an apartment I think. I can't wait to figure it all out but I'm going to Ecuador in a few weeks so it won't be until after that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no idea. I'm coming up sometime in the next month or so to try and find an apartment I think. I can't wait to figure it all out but I'm going to Ecuador in a few weeks so it won't be until after that.

Who-hoo, Ecuador! Where in Ecuador are you going?
 
My girlfriend and I are going for two weeks. We are flying into Quito and are going to spend a few days there and take some day trips then head northwest and work our way down the coast to Guayaquil. Then head over to Cuenca. Then on to the Oriente for a couple of days and back to Quito... or at least something resembling that route. and..... I just finished my last exam! I'm done with college!
 
My girlfriend and I are going for two weeks. We are flying into Quito and are going to spend a few days there and take some day trips then head northwest and work our way down the coast to Guayaquil. Then head over to Cuenca. Then on to the Oriente for a couple of days and back to Quito... or at least something resembling that route. and..... I just finished my last exam! I'm done with college!

Quito is awesome! Be sure to hit up the basilica (la Basilica de Voto Nacional) - they let you climb all over it, and the "gargoyles" are Ecuadorian animals. Also visit La Iglesia de La Compania de Jesus, which is covered all over the inside in gold. It's really tacky but still amazing.

Also, be careful when opening pop bottles in Quito - they have a tendency to overflow all over the place because of the difference in air pressure (they're bottled at sea level and then shipped up to Quito).

The country is great in general, you're going to have a lot of fun! And congrats on BEING DONE WITH SCHOOL!
 
Just got my confirmation of final transcript receipt / status change to full admit!!!! 😍😍😍
:soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited:


YEAAAAH!