MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got two acceptances in one day. ETSU Community Health and UNC Health Behaviour. Hoping to hear back from Kentucky soon.

I have a question. Do I have to pay the admission acceptance deposit before I can be considered for funding? Especially for UNC. I have already accepted the admission offer on my student portal.

No. Only pay an admissions deposit if you are 100% sure you are going to attend, which should be after you have all information about finances. You are ethically bound to pay an admissions deposit at just one school, and you have until April 15 to decide which school that is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Undergrad School: Binghamton University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.24/3.75
Major/Minor: Biological Anthropology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 151 (52%), Q 154 (54%), Writing 4 (59%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-marine mammal conservation research in Costa Rica as part of a study abroad class
-2 study abroad experiences for Spanish language and cultural immersion & Marine Biology
-volunteer shadow of Immigrant ad Refugee family clinic
-current AmeriCorps volunteer for a program that promotes literacy and health & wellness (1 year)

Letter of Recommendations:
-Health and wellness professors (2)
-AmeriCorps Director

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Nutrition, Global Health, Chronic & Noncommunicable Diseases
Applied (include the date of application): All submitted Nov 14, Verified Nov 15

Tulane University
Emory University
Tufts University
CUNY SPH
GWU
NYU
Mt. Sinai
UNC (12/12)
University of South Carolina (12/13)

Accepted: Tulane (11/26), GWU (11/26), CUNY (12/4), Mt. Sinai (12/12), Emory (12/12), NYU + $ (12/20), Tufts (1/11)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

I have pretty average/below average stats so I'm surprised I got in to most places (especially Emory) but I'm thankful! I applied last-minute to UNC and USC on a whim, although I don't think I have much of a chance of getting in but I thought I might as well try.

Last edited:
Got two acceptances in one day. ETSU Community Health and UNC Health Behaviour. Hoping to hear back from Kentucky soon.

I have a question. Do I have to pay the admission acceptance deposit before I can be considered for funding? Especially for UNC. I have already accepted the admission offer on my student portal.

Congratulations!!!

I also applied to UNC MPH in Health Behavior. I submitted my application a week before yours and have yet to hear from them so I’m thinking that I did not get in :( :( which is really disappointing because I’d be paying in-state tuition at UNC. But such is life!

Did you receive any communication from the school after submitting your application saying your application was complete and being sent for review or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!

I also applied to UNC MPH in Health Behavior. I submitted my application a week before yours and have yet to hear from them so I’m thinking that I did not get in :( :( which is really disappointing because I’d be paying in-state tuition at UNC. But such is life!

Did you receive any communication from the school after submitting your application saying your application was complete and being sent for review or anything?
Thanks flawedmph

I didn't get any message from UNC confirming
they had gotten my application. In fact, up till my admission decision was sent, I was still asked to submit my unofficial transcript on my student portal, which I couldn't because I used WES which doesn't give one a copy and my school never sent me a copy either.

I don't think you should lose hope. They should still be sending out decisions till January /February, I think.

No. Only pay an admissions deposit if you are 100% sure you are going to attend, which should be after you have all information about finances. You are ethically bound to pay an admissions deposit at just one school, and you have until April 15 to decide which school that is.
Thanks for the info

Oh wow! I just applied to GWU for global epi disease control on Dec 15 and we have similar stats and interests! What is with GWU being way more competitive than last year? I have no hope in getting admitted seeing everyones rejections and their good stats.

Yeah, I figured I was a long shot for it anyways, but based on this thread, it seems like GWU is being a LOT more selective this cycle. Don't give up hope though, you never know what can happen....

You also shouldn't accept the admission offer until you are sure that you're going there.
This I wasn't aware of. But there should be room to send a change of decision before the April 15th deadline, right?

Thanks flawedmph

I didn't get any message from UNC confirming
they had gotten my application. In fact, up till my admission decision was sent, I was still asked to submit my unofficial transcript on my student portal, which I couldn't because I used WES which doesn't give one a copy and my school never sent me a copy either.

I don't think you should lose hope. They should still be sending out decisions till January /February, I think.

Thank you for the encouraging words! Hopefully I get good news and we meet on campus in the fall

Reactions: 1 user
This I wasn't aware of. But there should be room to send a change of decision before the April 15th deadline, right?

There are no actual legal repercussions for not attending a school that you have committed to by accepting an offer of admissions, but it is heavily frowned upon and professionally risky. Accepting an offer isn't saying, "Hey thanks! I acknowledge that I'm admitted." It's saying, "I intend to enroll in this program."

I'm not exactly sure what to tell you to do if you're not 100% committed to UNC. Maybe others can chime in with advice. I might consider sending the program coordinator or admissions admin an email saying something like,

"Thank you so much for the offer of admission. I am very excited about UNC and will likely be attending in the fall. However, I did not mean to commit to attending this early in the application cycle and mistakenly accepted the offer of admission as soon as I received it without realizing that it was binding. For personal and financial reasons, I cannot commit to UNC without hearing about scholarship and financial aid information from all the programs to which I applied. Therefore, I will not be sending my tuition deposit until I have all the information I need."

Reactions: 4 users
Just out of curiosity, has anyone else heard from UNC about their MPH in Health Behavior program? Just trying to keep my anxiety at bay here.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else heard from UNC about their MPH in Health Behavior program? Just trying to keep my anxiety at bay here.

I applied to EQUITY not health behavior, but I've found myself flipping between refreshing my email tab and refreshing my application portal tab every minute since I saw the first UNC acceptances.

My anxiety is out of this world right now!

I applied to EQUITY not health behavior, but I've found myself flipping between refreshing my email tab and refreshing my application portal tab every minute since I saw the first UNC acceptances.

My anxiety is out of this world right now!

Same here! Not conducive to having a restful holiday season haha. Are you talking about the application portal we submitted supplemental apps on?

Best of luck to you! I had a hard time deciding between the HB and equity concentrations :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Yall,
Did anyone apply to Washu or Georgetown (MS)? I'm interested in the global health programs at both schools and was wondering if folks have some insights beyond the school's website?

There are no actual legal repercussions for not attending a school that you have committed to by accepting an offer of admissions, but it is heavily frowned upon and professionally risky. Accepting an offer isn't saying, "Hey thanks! I acknowledge that I'm admitted." It's saying, "I intend to enroll in this program."

I'm not exactly sure what to tell you to do if you're not 100% committed to UNC. Maybe others can chime in with advice. I might consider sending the program coordinator or admissions admin an email saying something like,

"Thank you so much for the offer of admission. I am very excited about UNC and will likely be attending in the fall. However, I did not mean to commit to attending this early in the application cycle and mistakenly accepted the offer of admission as soon as I received it without realizing that it was binding. For personal and financial reasons, I cannot commit to UNC without hearing about scholarship and financial aid information from all the programs to which I applied. Therefore, I will not be sending my tuition deposit until I have all the information I need."
I agree with this. I also think the draft email that @wwmmkk provided is perfect-- very professional and respectful.

Hey all, what do you think my chances are of getting into a program such as UNC, Yale, Columbia, or UMich with low GRE verbal: 38% :(, with Q 50% and W: 92%
Cumulative GPA 3.58/upper div GPA 3.78

Some of my experiences include Veterans Affairs, CDC, abroad in Europe and Asia

I applied for Social/Human Behavior and Health Policy programs, and have strong rec letters (hopefully!).
I'm not so good at determining chances but you never know with these schools. My GRE scores were a little lower than yours and I got into 3/4 schools I applied to. I was rejected by my alma mater which isn't uncommon for a lot of people. Your GPA, experience, and LORs should outweigh your test scores. Good luck! :D

Ok, I finally received my first decision and it was positive, so I am brave enough to put this out there! Thank you to everyone for fostering this community to help one another through this most anxious process.

Undergrad School:
University of Illinois at Chicago
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.64/3.90
Major/Minor: BFA, Painting and Sculpture :)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 161 (88%), Q 157 (65%), Writing 4 (59%)
-JD, Law review staff editor
-Currently, independent consultant for human service NPOs nationally; funding/outcomes/strategy development. Started my own business 2 years ago.
-Former Board member of state-wide advocacy group
-15 years+ as quality improvement/development/leadership roles in human service NPOs
-Current advisory Board member for a university's school of social work curriculum development

Note: I have no quant education/formal experience. I received credit for AP stats in high school 20 years ago and took a clep test for my other math requirement in undergrad. I am going back to school for that very reason, so I can get a quant/research education and work through my questions/theories for scaled quality improvement strategies in human services.

Letter of Recommendations:
-Former supervisor who is now director of quality Improvement for county-wide mental health board, current NPO client's President and CEO, ED of state-wide advocacy group

Interested in: Policy, leadership
Applied (include the date of application): Tulane (Policy) (12/7); Harvard (MPH 45-credit in health policy), UNC-Gillings (MPH-Leadership in Practice), Yale (MPH policy), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Health, Behavior and Society) and Johns Hopkins (Phd in Policy and Management)--all verified and complete on 11/20

Accepted: UNC (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to GWU MPH-Epi today! Crossing my fingers for funding

Reactions: 4 users
School: Large state school (2018)
GPA: 3.4
GRE: VR: 61% QR: 72% AW: 92%
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Experience (professional or otherwise):
- Pharmacy Technician (3 years)
- Currently working for a PharmD program helping with their clinical rotations
- Volunteering, clubs, etc.

Applied: Boston U (Global Health), Johns Hopkins (Global Disease Epidemiology and Control), George Washington (Global Health) and U Maryland (Global Health). All my application materials were submitted by the end of November/early December. Considering George Mason (Global Health)..
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Boston U (12/18/18), GWU (1/7/19)
Attending:

I'd love to hear everyone's plans and if you are applying to any of the same programs!

Last edited:
I deferred my admission to Emory if you’d like to message me with questions!

Hey guys! I was just wondering about the process of deferring acceptance for a year, to gain work experience. Does anybody have some insight for that -- when to ask the university, how to ask them formally, the process, details like that? I just got into Emory! I'm so happy for that and I know there are a few SDN folks who have gotten acceptance to Emory and then deferred. Could anyone with any information on deferring please let me know if I can PM them? Thanks!

And good luck to everyone who is still awaiting decisions!

Accepted to Emory MSPH Epi and Hopkins MHS Epi :happy:

Does anyone know how robust Columbia's IPHAN is these days? Website doesn't seem to have been updated since spring.

I'll go with your advice. Thanks

Just got into GWU a few days ago, thought I'd post my stats. The waiting continues!
Undergrad School: large public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:3.44/3.81
Major/Minor: Individualized: Global Health
GradGPA n/a
Grad Studies Taking graduate level public policy courses (4+)
GRE (10/31) 158V(80th)/154Q(60th)/5W(92th) or Other Test(if applicable):
- Yearlong IPV/DV/SA intern for Department of Children and Families, developing policies and community oriented protocols working directly under the Deputy Commissioner
-Director of Operations and helped found a student run Global Health symposium
-Student Coordinator for 16 Alternative Break Service Trips on Campus
-Trip Director for a Healthcare Access and Education Alternative Break
-Team Leader for a Civil Rights and Urban Poverty Alternative Break
-Legislative Intern for U.S. Senator on the Hill for 3 months
-Injury and Violence Prevention Fellow at a hospital/ Injury control center
-Intern at a local Health district for 3 months
Special Factors: First Gen
LORs: Global Health Professor, Fellowship Supervisor, Leadership Mentor
Interested in: Global Health, Policy, Maternal and Child Health

Applied: Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Yale, GWU, Emory, NYU, Queen Mary University of London (All late Nov-mid Dec.)
Accepted: GWU (12/18), Queen Mary University of London (early December)

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Financial Aid
:
Attending:

Accepted to GWU MPH-Epi today! Crossing my fingers for funding

Just got into GWU a few days ago, thought I'd post my stats. The waiting continues!

Ok, I finally received my first decision and it was positive, so I am brave enough to put this out there! Thank you to everyone for fostering this community to help one another through this most anxious process.
Accepted: UNC (12/21)

Congrats!!! Did GWU send an email? Was the UNC decision sent via email or posted in the portal where you uploaded transcripts?

Congrats!!! Did GWU send an email? Was the UNC decision sent via email or posted in the portal where you uploaded transcripts?
I received an email from UNC to check the admission decision posted in that same portal where we uploaded our transcript.

I can speak to this! I'm in the global epi program at Emory currently. Honestly, they are almost the same. Global epi is basically epi + a few global health requirements. You have to take introductory global health for global health majors and either have an international practicum or focus on underserved populations. Other than that, you take all the epi core classes and are treated as a part of the epi department. Looking back, I think I'd almost have preferred to be straight epi-- less requirements and you can do the exact same things for your practicum without restrictions. The global health for global health majors is also a pretty awful class that they're trying to reform but it isn't quite there yet. Ultimately, I've loved being a part of the epi department and Emory is a fantastic place to be!!! Feel free to PM me for more information. :)
“The global health for global health majors is also a pretty awful class that they're trying to reform but it isn't quite there yet.”
Can you please elaborate? My first preference was global health in itself.

“The global health for global health majors is also a pretty awful class that they're trying to reform but it isn't quite there yet.”
Can you please elaborate? My first preference was global health in itself.
Hey! Yes I can. They did a complete revamp of the class this year and presented the concepts in a strange order and the course page was confusing so deadlines were unclear. There was also a lot of confusion from TAs being responsible for grading assignments and having different standards. However, I know they're planning to switch it up again next year from student feedback (which they gathered every week and at the end). I would absolutely not let this be the reason you don't attend-- every other class is fantastic and I know that they're working on this one! My class fought really hard to be heard and make sure it would be better for next year's cohort.

Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate (MD)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8 / 4 (Evaluated by WES)
Major/Minor:
Medicine
GRE: 155V / 170Q / 4W (TOEFL:108)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
Three research papers
Two Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Ranked 1st in Biostat and Epi courses
Acceptable level of proficiency in STATA and SPSS

Special Factors: Ranked 4th among 159,000 applicants in my country's national universities entrance exam
LORs: 2 Biostatistics full professor, 1 Epidemiology assistant professor
Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied:
Columbia(MS), Harvard(SM-42.5), Johns Hopkins(MHS), Yale(MS-Chronic Epi), GWU(MPH), Emory(MSPH), UCLA(MS), UNC(MPH-Applied Epi), UMich(MPH), OSU(MS), UMN(MPH), Vanderbilt(MPH), Icahn(MPH)
Accepted: UMich(12/7), GWU (12/19) + 32k, Emory(1/8), Ohio(1/9), UMN(1/14) + Tuition Scholarship, Icahn(1/16), UCLA(1/16) + 1st year Fellowship, JHU(1/18), UofA(2/1), Columbia(2/20), Harvard(2/21), Vanderbilt(2/21), UNC(2/27), Yale(3/8)
Rejected: --
Financial Aid
: GWU, UMN, UCLA
Attending:

Last edited:
Does anyone know which schools require interviews for admission? When researching programs, I didn't see anything about interviews during the application process at any of the schools I selected, but after reading some of these forums I noticed others mention interviews.

This might be a dumb question, but can you waive health insurance and dental insurance at universities if you have your own insurance? Its a huge cost on some schools tuition and I already have my own insurance that I don't plan on cancelling.

Does anyone know which schools require interviews for admission? When researching programs, I didn't see anything about interviews during the application process at any of the schools I selected, but after reading some of these forums I noticed others mention interviews.
From what I know, usually interviews are only required for health management programs like MHA or MPH-HCM

Undergrad School: UMich (graduate in April)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65 on SOPHAS but just finished a good semester
Major/Minor: Community and Global Public Health
GRE: V: 162 (91%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 4.0 (November 2018)
Experience/Research:
- interned for 2 political campaigns (a gubernatorial primary and targeted congressional race) and was a field organizer for a third (a ballot proposal)
- starting an internship at the MI state leg next month
- interned at a telehealth addiction/opioid treatment program
- Wrote for the opinion section of my daily student newspaper for 3 years on politics and mental health
- Did a service learning trip to Vietnam and worked with an NGO that provided social services for families effected by HIV/AIDS
- 2 years on executive board of statewide federation of Michigan college dems chapters
- Research with pediatric ENT doctor for CDC project

LOR: one from the COO of the startup I interned for, 2 from professors I had each had in twice (both in health behavior, one was former director of public health undergrad program)

Interests: MPH in Health Policy/health management and policy with a concentration in mental health/substance abuse and health care reform

Applied: Emory, Boston, UMich, UNC, GW, WUSTL

Accepted: GW (12/19), Emory (1/9). Boston + $ (1/25)

Last edited:
Hey! Yes I can. They did a complete revamp of the class this year and presented the concepts in a strange order and the course page was confusing so deadlines were unclear. There was also a lot of confusion from TAs being responsible for grading assignments and having different standards. However, I know they're planning to switch it up again next year from student feedback (which they gathered every week and at the end). I would absolutely not let this be the reason you don't attend-- every other class is fantastic and I know that they're working on this one! My class fought really hard to be heard and make sure it would be better for next year's cohort.

You are an amazing help.
Stay blessed!

Hi everyone!

I was an applicant last cycle, and I just wanted to know that I got into 9/10 schools that I applied to despite having a GPA well below the general average (3.14 overall). :)

I know it's a little early for this but I'd be happy to read over peoples' personal statements if they want an editor. Lastly, I'm not sure how relevant they still are, but a bunch of us from last year posted some resources in the google drive linked in my signature - they might be helpful, maybe not.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi! I'm going to be an applicant in the next cycle, and I was wondering if you would want to look over my personal statement in the future (during the summer)? I am interested in applying to similar schools as you. Congrats on Johns Hopkins!

Are there any potential financial aid ramifications for accepting my acceptance? I'm fairly confident that I'll end up going there (Emory, if it matters) regardless of financial aid, but I feel like I'd give up some leverage with regard to scholarships if I accept before I get my financial aid package. In addition, are there any drawbacks to waiting until I get my financial aid package?

This might be a dumb question, but can you waive health insurance and dental insurance at universities if you have your own insurance? Its a huge cost on some schools tuition and I already have my own insurance that I don't plan on cancelling.
Most schools have a waiver if you already have insurance. You’ll just have to fill out a form and provide proof.

Happy Holidays Everyone :hardy:! 2019 is our year!:soexcited:

Reactions: 16 users
Are there any potential financial aid ramifications for accepting my acceptance? I'm fairly confident that I'll end up going there (Emory, if it matters) regardless of financial aid, but I feel like I'd give up some leverage with regard to scholarships if I accept before I get my financial aid package. In addition, are there any drawbacks to waiting until I get my financial aid package?

I don't believe there would be any negative impact towards your financial aid if you choose to accept now. I'm not sure if you have applied to any other schools besides Emory but if you have, I would wait until you hear back from them because once you receive information on financial aid packages from everywhere, you could use them as leverage to get more funding if possible. For example, if an XYZ school offers you a lot more funding than what Emory offers you, you could go to Emory and counter that XYZ gave you more money but you still want to attend Emory. If they like you enough and see you are a valuable student, they may give you more than the original offer. Plus, not all applicants that are offered scholarships choose to go to that school, so waiting until March or April may help to see if there is additional funding.

There also shouldn't be any drawbacks to waiting until you get your financial aid because you're already accepted into Emory! If they offer you financial aid and you wait, it's not like they're going to take it away because you took too long (I mean, as long as you accept before the deadline).

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Tulane has a priority deadline for scholarships? I can't find it on their website

Let me know what you think about my chances of getting into the schools

Undergrad School
: Penn State University (graduating in May)
Undergrad GPA: 3.81(overall), 4.0 (major)
Major/Minor: Rehabilitation and Human Services, Psychology
GRE: V: 161 (88%), Q: 155 (59%), W: 4.5 (February 2018)
- 1 semester working at a non-profit agency
-own research on resilience, depression and child abuse
-editorial assistant for Psychotherapy Research Journal
-psychology tutor
LOR: 1. Current employer of research journal/advisor I did research with/professor 2. Professor I TAed for 3. Professor who I had for several classes
Interests: MPH in social and behavioral sciences, want to work in mental health (applying for dual-degree MSW and MPH)

Applying: Temple MSW/MPH, Fordham MSW/MPH (Icahn school of medicine), Pitt MSW/MPH, NYU MSW/MPH, UPenn MSW/MPH

Accepted: NYU MSW (1/4) UPenn MPH (1/22) Icahn School of Medicine (1/18), Fordham MSW (1/24), Pitt MSW/MPH (2/1), UPenn MSW (1/31)

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

Attending:
UPenn MSW/MPH!

Last edited:
I applied to UNC back in late October and still haven't really heard back from them, but have seen that a few others already received responses. Was there anything else I was supposed to do with the supplemental application apart from submit unofficial transcripts through their portal?

I applied to UNC back in late October and still haven't really heard back from them, but have seen that a few others already received responses. Was there anything else I was supposed to do with the supplemental application apart from submit unofficial transcripts through their portal?
After I uploaded unofficial transcripts and paid the extra fee, they posted a pdf proof of my application submission. Does your portal show a confirmation that you applied?

After I uploaded unofficial transcripts and paid the extra fee, they posted a pdf proof of my application submission. Does your portal show a confirmation that you applied?

Yes, I have a "Preview Application Proof" link that takes me to a PDF. Also a date next to Application Submitted above my Application Checklist that looks like this:

Application Checklist Application Submitted: 10/30/2018
Status Details Date
ok.png
Received Unofficial Transcript for 10/30/2018
ok.png
Received Unofficial Transcript for 10/29/2018

Yes, I have a "Preview Application Proof" link that takes me to a PDF. Also a date next to Application Submitted above my Application Checklist that looks like this:

Application Checklist Application Submitted: 10/30/2018
Status Details Date
ok.png
Received Unofficial Transcript for 10/30/2018
ok.png
Received Unofficial Transcript for 10/29/2018

Ok. Other than the 90 bucks and transcripts, I’m not aware of any additional requirements. But we did apply to different program tracks so the review teams are probably working through apps on different timelines. Keep looking up! :joyful:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m kind of confused about FASFA. I haven’t submitted one since my senior year of high school. My top program wants the completed FASFA by 2/1 but if W-2s don’t come out until end of January, how would this be feasible? Do we use our 2017 tax returns?

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m kind of confused about FASFA. I haven’t submitted one since my senior year of high school. My top program wants the completed FASFA by 2/1 but if W-2s don’t come out until end of January, how would this be feasible? Do we use our 2017 tax returns?

Any help is appreciated.
If I recall correctly, I used my 2017 tax return on my 2019-2020 FASFA! (I think that's what's expected.)

If I recall correctly, I used my 2017 tax return on my 2019-2020 FASFA! (I think that's what's expected.)
yes this is correct. you use the previous years tax for each FAFSA. they changed this about 3 years ago to make FAFSA more easily accessible to everyone.