MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just laughing at how future cycle's MPH applicants are gonna refer back to this year's thread and scroll through like 200 pages to see when exactly their school's decisions come out :rofl::rofl::rofl:I mean hey at least we're positive, helpful, and sometimes fairly entertaining? A search function within the thread wouldn't be a bad thing to incorporate, SDN!

Edit: I have now learned that there is a search function within threads, thanks Sunshine!
The timeline for this year's cycle's admissions decisions is a bit off due to the situation with covid. Adcoms have to work offsite. If things are back to normal next year, they should base the timeline from past years' threads. Things were not normal this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you emailed Berkeley? its pretty much the only school I have left to hear back.

I had two grades come in for self-paced courses that I just finished, so I emailed them about that recently, but didn't think to ask about admissions results haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my UCLA provisional award letter and it says I got $0 in scholarships or grants. I haven’t heard back about fellowships or anything like that — does this mean I’m straight up getting $0 in aid?
how soon after did you hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry just wanted to bump my question to anyone who received financial aid from Hopkins - was it in the admissions letter, or was it separate? Thank you!
Financial aid comes later, and when it's awarded varies by department.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted at UC Davis! Really hoping for good waitlist movement as it's one of my top choices. Not the most ideal outcome, but not the worst either!
Ahhhh. Hoping for the best for you!! Still waiting here! How does the waitlist work? Does it tell you where you're at on the waitlist?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Ahhhh. Hoping for the best for you!! Still waiting here! How does the waitlist work? Does it tell you where you're at on the waitlist?
I got an email to check my portal and the waitlist decision was there. They don't tell you what place you are on the list but it does say I can email the graduate program coordinator for the current status of admissions. Gonna do that on Monday!

I hope you get in!!!

• Care
make sure ur SSN is correct. It took 3 days to get my letter after i updated my SSN on myUCLA account
Oh wait was it after you got your letter or your portal update? I got the official "your portal is updated" like 5 days ago.

Oh wait was it after you got your letter or your portal update? I got the official "your portal is updated" like 5 days ago.
So i got my acceptance and then several days later i got my UCLA portal acceptance letter. the email notified me of a portal update. then a few days later somebody on here mentioned their scholarship was awarded and so i checked my portal and did the steps to input my SSN. thats when i got the finanical aid thing 3 days letter. said COA was $53,000 a year and i was given 0 in scholarship. but idk if this is finalized or not.

Soooo is anyone still waiting on results from Berkeley and UCLA for Epi? I know a handful of people were accepted a few weeks ago, so I'm starting feel a rejection if I don't hear back by mid-March, which is when they stated that most people will find out by :(
Well I got the rejection email from ucla yesterday. i applied to mph epi. i knew i wasnt a strong candidate so i kind of assumed i wouldnt get in.. so plz do not be discouraged! you dont know until you hear back from them.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone here decided to commit to Brown at all? If so, I'd love to connect. Really considering the program. It is between Brown and my local school, which is a great program as well. Tuition is a huge factor in my indecisiveness,
I talked with a professor at Brown. He mentioned the very close relationship between the students and their mentors because of the small faculty:student ratio. It sounds like you'll get a lot of attention if you go there, which is really good especially if you want to publish. His students all had really good job offers when they graduated. The area is relatively affordable, too.

To those of you wondering about UArizona, my application was just recommended for admission, just going to make sure I meet minimum requirements. I applied on 1/4. ☺️

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
To those of you wondering about UArizona, my application was just recommended for admission, just going to make sure I meet minimum requirements. I applied on 1/4. ☺️
Congrats☺️ Ok this gives me hope!!!

Anyone happen to hear about any financial aid info from UTHealth yet?

Last edited:
Anyone still waiting on UNC for Applied Epi? I applied like 1/4, so super late, but I'm getting anxious.
Also, if you've received a decision, was it via email or through the portal?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! Has anyone committed to JHU MPH (11 month program)? Would love to chat!

For people currently working in a full-time job, have you notified your boss yet that you're leaving for grad school in the fall? I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if that's a bad thing. I was planning to wait until after Apirl 15th once I've committed to a school.
I have given a heads up (one of the PIs I work for wrote one of my LoR so that gave it away), and most of the places I’ve applied to require me to move to a new city so I definitely couldn’t keep this job. The big question though is when I would leave, because I like the idea of having a good amount of time summer to kind of get things together (if I have to move) and turn my brain off/relax for a bit. It depends on if you’re leaving in early summer vs mid-late summer right before the semester, but I think it would be good to give a little bit of notice now that you have been accepted to places, and that you will have a final answer by mid April!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else committed to the JHU online/part-time MPH program? If so, how did you make your decision?

So i got my acceptance and then several days later i got my UCLA portal acceptance letter. the email notified me of a portal update. then a few days later somebody on here mentioned their scholarship was awarded and so i checked my portal and did the steps to input my SSN. thats when i got the finanical aid thing 3 days letter. said COA was $53,000 a year and i was given 0 in scholarship. but idk if this is finalized or not.
I had the same situation. I looked into a bit more and i believe that's just an estimate cause at the top of the page, they mentioned i was elligible for scholarships and somewhere else, on the myucla portal, I saw that aid would be finalized in the summer..

• Care
I had the same situation. I looked into a bit more and i believe that's just an estimate cause at the top of the page, they mentioned i was elligible for scholarships and somewhere else, on the myucla portal, I saw that aid would be finalized in the summer..
Oh that's super interesting. Would not be helpful if it comes after April 15...

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else waiting for Harvard MPH45 Occupational Health? I already got in at BU Healthcare Management and waiting to make a decision.

Committed to HSPH for the SM in Global Health and Population!

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
I'm trying to find any recorded info sessions or the like for GW's GDEC program. If anyone has any links it'd be appreciated 🙏
If anyone's decided to commit to the program, or is heavily leaning that way, I'd also love to know how you came to the conclusion!

Definitely not saying who's more deserving of what. Not even talking about the individual candidates.
My whole point has been that people should not be limited chances for a good education bc of their previous baggage (that dipped their GPA), and public health people should realize that school grades definitely present oppression in many ways. It's the same stream of thought when they waived GRE or any other standardized tests. They should do it more comprehensively by taking in the whole application for merit-based awards.
I mean, it's not that I can change the system at this minute. lol. Just seeing many of us who are in need and highly achieving in life are not awarded scholarships bc of GPA makes me feel weird.

I mean it is an academic program and institution first and foremost, it makes sense for them to seek out candidates who are academically accomplished to receive their scholarships?

Definitely not saying who's more deserving of what. Not even talking about the individual candidates.
My whole point has been that people should not be limited chances for a good education bc of their previous baggage (that dipped their GPA), and public health people should realize that school grades definitely present oppression in many ways. It's the same stream of thought when they waived GRE or any other standardized tests. They should do it more comprehensively by taking in the whole application for merit-based awards.
I mean, it's not that I can change the system at this minute. lol. Just seeing many of us who are in need and highly achieving in life are not awarded scholarships bc of GPA makes me feel weird.

I mean it is an academic program and institution first and foremost, it makes sense for them to seek out candidates who are academically accomplished to receive their scholarships?

I think that schools look holistically at applicants to gauge whether they are going to admit them or not, MPH programs seem to be pretty lenient when it comes to looking at GPA and everything else. The pot that financial aid and merit scholarships and awards comes out of is the same pot really, though I think why they have a gpa cut-off for some of these awards is:

1. Some schools require you to maintain a minimum graduate gpa.
2. A lot can affect the gpa, but in general probably higher gpa reflects more interest with academic coursework and intellectual curiosity than not, so they are kind of using a big fishing net type approach.
3. They want to encourage people to do well in college.
4. Some concentrations might require more math skills and better critical thinking and reading skills so they want students who have demonstrated ability to handle this stuff.
5. They want to attract students who, like you said, are more academically accomplished and so perhaps more likely to do the school good later on and do good work for public health.

I get what OnePotatoTwoBobs is saying, that people can be accomplished more with the "life" extracurricular stuff than with the academic stuff and it sucks to not be on an even plane with everybody with regards to having some merit award. I'm thinking this is sort of along the lines of a "Lifetime Achievement" merit award for public health school, maybe one day they'll do something like that, makes sense, though it would be hard to tell the difference between students who have many similar experiences, though it would go a long way to have other awards, maybe slightly less than academic merit awards, but something that could be given to other students who faced certain difficulties.

Probably important extracurriculars for public health (which isn't just pure science) would be:

1. Volunteer/service oriented work, public health needs people that want to work with diverse groups of people.
2. Variety/difficulty of coursework.
3. Public health related work experience, makes sense they want people who are sure they are interested in public health.
4. Research experience, many of the areas of public health require people to be able to interpret research.
5. Diverse backgrounds.

HOWEVER if public health is your dream then definitely applying yourself in graduate school will pay off big time, work and study hard and network. Go to a good school with student support and work hard, but have a great time as well, a lot of students who go to LSHTM say it was the best two years of their life, definitely worth it to make the most of everything and meet people and learn public health. Graduate school is a fresh slate opportunity so take advantage of it, you wouldn't be admitted if the school didn't think you could do a great job! Get a good gpa in graduate school and focus on developing contacts and work on good extracurricular projects.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just read that Yale SPH does not give grades - they have an Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail system. No GPA. Does anyone know how this would be interpreted for jobs, etc. after grad school? I can imagine that it doesn’t make too much of a difference for PhD programs making their selections, but I wonder how you would report your performance in grad school on a resume for jobs...

• Wow
Just read that Yale SPH does not give grades - they have an Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail system. No GPA. Does anyone know how this would be interpreted for jobs, etc. after grad school? I can imagine that it doesn’t make too much of a difference for PhD programs making their selections, but I wonder how you would report your performance in grad school on a resume for jobs...
I asked an alumnus this and was told that people will just see Yale on your resume and that will be enough LOL

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users