MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. I’m trying to make some Yale friends and hopefully find a nice roommate situation (25 M). Is there like a GroupMe or fb group for admits? I don’t use facebook anymore but I suppose I could make one if needed. Or DM me if you want to be Yale pals

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all. I’m trying to make some Yale friends and hopefully find a nice roommate situation (25 M). Is there like a GroupMe or fb group for admits? I don’t use facebook anymore but I suppose I could make one if needed. Or DM me if you want to be Yale pals
I’m also looking for Yale pals !!

Reactions: 1 user
I know people are starting to commit, but is anyone else overwhelmed at making the decision? I went into this cycle truly thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere so now that that isn't the case, my mind is everywhere. Maybe once I've received all my aid packages the choice will be easier, but even then I probably won't commit until April.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been about the same thing.
I think this whole merit-based award doesn't make too much sense. I mean I understand for anybody who's made a huge effort to get a 3.9 it's an achievement that should be recognized for sure. But don't they, the public health people, the trainers of future public health leaders, realize that many other things could heavily affect your GPA? Poverty, health issues, life circumstances, race, gender, geographic location, just to name a few, can contribute to your GPA and immediately disqualify you from getting those merit-based scholarships. And then you're again in the broken loop: poverty - struggle to afford school - low GPA - not getting awards - struggle to afford school - low GPA - struggle to pay back loans - struggle to lead a decent life - more public health issues - their kids in poverty - .... over and over and over.
For public health programs to set a GPA line for the "merit" and only reward those who might just be more privileged is really unfair.
I mean I'm definitely not implying that all those who got merit awards are "just privileged." I admire you for making all the efforts you could to achieve a stellar GPA. I'm just thinking if as public health trainers these programs are not even considering this as a public health issue and not considering awarding the obviously less-privileged, it's kind of ridiculous.
Something to keep in mind: not all schools use solely GPA and GRE as their basis to award merit scholarships. Some do, but from my understanding, especially this year, most were from the application as a whole. e.g. I spoke to someone at Emory and they said the personal statement is a big part of it

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I know people are starting to commit, but is anyone else overwhelmed at making the decision? I went into this cycle truly thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere so now that that isn't the case, my mind is everywhere. Maybe once I've received all my aid packages the choice will be easier, but even then I probably won't commit until April.
Definitely. I know I already put money down for NYU but now I have more acceptances from Tulane and UMN. This is making it hard. I also had an interview with Pitts MPH director and I think that went well. So If I get into Pitt and Columbia ill have to decide between all of them lol. NYU, Tulane, Pitt, UMN, and Columbia.

I might just get drunk one night and close my eyes and pick a school. lol

Its gonna be brutal.

Reactions: 1 users
hoping against odds that there is some harvard news today 🙃

Yes. Still waiting on some decisions and aid packages but I also have to decide if I want to start over in a new city or stay close to home. super stressful at the moment

I'm new here so apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place? But i wanted to know if anyone heard from Berkeley infectious diseases and vaccinology? I've already heard from UCLA and Columbia so i'm wondering why Berkeley might be taking long if it's a rejection maybe lol

do most people plan on taking out the federal loans and the graduate plus loan to meet the COA. even with the scholarships some schools have given me it feels impossible. :(

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, regarding the financial aid and merit packages: I feel like this forum should definitely be a place to get our feelings out about the stress we are all going through collectively, but I think taking into account that likely the majority of us don't have 80k in savings (or even close, or maybe any savings at all) kind of explains why we aren't all getting half our tuition covered. Though I'm probably going to be 60-100k in debt depending on the program I choose, I feel grateful for the scholarships I have been awarded. Someone posted yesterday who put it really well (and I'm not directly quoting, but here's the general sentiment): it would be lovely if we were all gracious and grateful and respectful towards others and not assume that we are more deserving of scholarship or aid than anyone else in this forum. I can tell just from reading your posts over the last several months that most of us are accomplished and driven people who are all worthy of great opportunities. But when we aren't getting full aid or scholarship, we should think about all of our awesome classmates-to-be who also deserve the financial support, who the money we all want is being distributed between. That being said, I wish everyone the best of luck with their financial packages! Graduate school is definitely an entirely different bag than undergrad, and it will likely be one of the biggest financial challenges many of us have experienced with our education! We're all in this together.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 43 users
Something to keep in mind: not all schools use solely GPA and GRE as their basis to award merit scholarships. Some do, but from my understanding, especially this year, most were from the application as a whole. e.g. I spoke to someone at Emory and they said the personal statement is a big part of it
That is true, too.
Still many schools have a GPA line for merit-based scholars.
If I were in the admissions committee I would propose the merit-based to be overall merit not just academic. If a student is that good enough to be offered admission, they should be good enough to be considered for scholarships.

Yeah I was quite shocked to receive a merit scholarship from Emory because I didn't submit GRE scores, had a GPA below their 3.6 average, and felt my personal statement was mediocre at best, worse every time I reread it. I had so many mental break downs before submitting my app bc I thought it was terrible. All I really had going for me was experience and involvement and a couple solid letters of rec (idek bc I waived my right to see them). I honestly felt (and still feel) like in some ways I just don't deserve it? What made them pick me out of such an incredible pool of highly talented applicants as I've seen on this forum with better stats than me? I don't understand. I'm grateful but still in disbelief, almost like I'm on edge to get an email from admissions saying they've made a mistake. Idk how to relieve this anxiety and imposter syndrome but I'm very motivated now to accomplish much more and prove I am worth every penny they gave me.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do most people plan on taking out the federal loans and the graduate plus loan to meet the COA. even with the scholarships some schools have given me it feels impossible. :(
yep. I plan on applying to scholarships but worse come to worse take out loans.

Just gotta be smart about borrowing.

Reached out to Emory admissions myself to get an update on decision timelines and received the generic "3-6 weeks from when your application was routed" response... like it's been 8 weeks since mine was routed bro 😭 They did also suggest emailing the associate director for my program to ask for more updates, but I'm a little hesitant to for some reason?? Not even sure why I just have a weird feeling haha

i’m not makijg my decision until april

Hey all, regarding the financial aid and merit packages: I feel like this forum should definitely be a place to get our feelings out about the stress we are all going through collectively, but I think taking into account that likely the majority of us don't have 80k in savings (or even close, or maybe any savings at all) kind of explains why we aren't all getting half our tuition covered. Though I'm probably going to be 60-100k in debt depending on the program I choose, I feel grateful for the scholarships I have been awarded. Someone posted yesterday who put it really well (and I'm not directly quoting, but here's the general sentiment): it would be lovely if we were all gracious and grateful and respectful towards others and not assume that we are more deserving of scholarship or aid than anyone else in this forum. I can tell just from reading your posts over the last several months that most of us are accomplished and driven people who are all worthy of great opportunities. But when we aren't getting full aid or scholarship, we should think about all of our awesome classmates-to-be who also deserve the financial support, who the money we all want is being distributed between. That being said, I wish everyone the best of luck with their financial packages! Graduate school is definitely an entirely different bag than undergrad, and it will likely be one of the biggest financial challenges many of us have experienced with our education! We're all in this together.
Definitely not saying who's more deserving of what. Not even talking about the individual candidates.
My whole point has been that people should not be limited chances for a good education bc of their previous baggage (that dipped their GPA), and public health people should realize that school grades definitely present oppression in many ways. It's the same stream of thought when they waived GRE or any other standardized tests. They should do it more comprehensively by taking in the whole application for merit-based awards.
I mean, it's not that I can change the system at this minute. lol. Just seeing many of us who are in need and highly achieving in life are not awarded scholarships bc of GPA makes me feel weird.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
gw is awesome i asked to extend my deadline to say yes and they did it immediately 😊

I've been about the same thing.
I think this whole merit-based award doesn't make too much sense. I mean I understand for anybody who's made a huge effort to get a 3.9 it's an achievement that should be recognized for sure. But don't they, the public health people, the trainers of future public health leaders, realize that many other things could heavily affect your GPA? Poverty, health issues, life circumstances, race, gender, geographic location, just to name a few, can contribute to your GPA and immediately disqualify you from getting those merit-based scholarships. And then you're again in the broken loop: poverty - struggle to afford school - low GPA - not getting awards - struggle to afford school - low GPA - struggle to pay back loans - struggle to lead a decent life - more public health issues - their kids in poverty - .... over and over and over.

I've had similar thoughts myself! There are students who have low gpas, maybe like C average, they get accepted to a private and expensive public health school and then maybe they don't get a job paying enough to help with all of the loans and it becomes a vicious cycle. I think the thing is that for many the MPH degree is something that is added on to another degree and is seen as additional qualifications for people who already work in health related areas in some ways, maybe also like a prestigious sort of degree thing and doesn't work as a terminal degree in a lot of cases.

I think it pays to get a job related to public health, or maybe even in another field, and really spend the time to study what you want out of a public health degree and see if it will even get you there. I like the article you posted that said that there aren't enough entry level global health jobs for all of the global health concentration MPH graduates out there, it is interesting and important work, but the paths to get there are often different and many don't go through an MPH.

Some students at BU (just an example happens at a lot of other schools probably) have remarked that they give lectures and preach about how education should be cheap for students the world over to improve society, but then they are charging and arm and a leg to listen to these very sentiments arguing against how the school views tuition!

I'm glad that schools do discount public health degrees as the job market can be poor, and they look at applications holistically (based on merit awards and acceptances on this board) as for some people it is a life's calling to do this work.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Definitely not saying who's more deserving of what. Not even talking about the individual candidates.
My whole point has been that people should not be limited chances for a good education bc of their previous baggage (that dipped their GPA), and public health people should realize that school grades definitely present oppression in many ways. It's the same stream of thought when they waived GRE or any other standardized tests. They should do it more comprehensively by taking in the whole application for merit-based awards.
I mean, it's not that I can change the system at this minute. lol. Just seeing many of us who are in need and highly achieving in life are not awarded scholarships bc of GPA makes me feel weird.

I think they do look at things holistically based on this forum, you've got people with B/C averages that can get into top public health schools like Harvard, that's definitely a step up! They probably look at a lot of things to determine how motivated you are to do public health and excel in graduate school, I think they'd want to see a passion for public health type work. I think they'd look at trends in gpa too, and you could explain why your gpa is low during a certain period.

Also best to view admissions from a "used car salesman" point of view and you can call and ask them politely that you want to go to school x, but the price is an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I was quite shocked to receive a merit scholarship from Emory because I didn't submit GRE scores, had a GPA below their 3.6 average, and felt my personal statement was mediocre at best, worse every time I reread it. I had so many mental break downs before submitting my app bc I thought it was terrible. All I really had going for me was experience and involvement and a couple solid letters of rec (idek bc I waived my right to see them). I honestly felt (and still feel) like in some ways I just don't deserve it? What made them pick me out of such an incredible pool of highly talented applicants as I've seen on this forum with better stats than me? I don't understand. I'm grateful but still in disbelief, almost like I'm on edge to get an email from admissions saying they've made a mistake. Idk how to relieve this anxiety and imposter syndrome but I'm very motivated now to accomplish much more and prove I am worth every penny they gave me.

I bet it was deserved in your case as you got the higher end of merit awards from BU and GWU which are both private schools that don't like to give merit awards that much, and you got an Emory award too! That has to be confidence inspiring.

• Love
For those who have been accepted to tulane, do they give out aid with the acceptance letter or is there a waiting period?

I think they do look at things holistically based on this forum, you've got people with B/C averages that can get into top public health schools like Harvard, that's definitely a step up! They probably look at a lot of things to determine how motivated you are to do public health and excel in graduate school, I think they'd want to see a passion for public health type work. I think they'd look at trends in gpa too, and you could explain why your gpa is low during a certain period. Enrollment has been decreasing in some grad schools, I'm kind of cynical that they did away with the GRE for some programs as it is a way to make it easier to get people to apply I feel like it is a buyer's market for public health degrees to some extent.
Some schools' funding distribution is more holistic than others.
Some state it clearly on their website they'd only consider merit-based scholarships for above a certain GPA.
I believe waiving standardized tests is generally a good thing within the US context. It's just going to be a lot more challenging for the admission process.

UCLA oh UCLA. When will you releaseth thine admission decisions. I loathe you so. But alas, I wait... (you too, Hopkins lol)

• Haha
Just curious, but is anyone still waiting on Yale :'D I applied 12/15 and I sent an email a couple of weeks ago about when I'd hear back, and Becca Melnick got back to me really quickly and said they anticipate getting all their decisions out during the first week of March :/

I definitely don't think I'd qualify for any scholarships at this point, but this is my last school so it'd be nice to know :'))

I'm new here so apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place? But i wanted to know if anyone heard from Berkeley infectious diseases and vaccinology? I've already heard from UCLA and Columbia so i'm wondering why Berkeley might be taking long if it's a rejection maybe lol

I heard back in January. I believe there was another person who heard back from Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology around the same time.

^ same here! I applied the last week of November and got my acceptance to the MPH in Infectious disease and vaccinology program on the night of Jan. 22. I’ve seen other UC Berkeley decisions since then and many have also been late at night. Like 10pm ish

I got my UCLA provisional award letter and it says I got $0 in scholarships or grants. I haven’t heard back about fellowships or anything like that — does this mean I’m straight up getting $0 in aid?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, but is anyone still waiting on Yale :'D I applied 12/15 and I sent an email a couple of weeks ago about when I'd hear back, and Becca Melnick got back to me really quickly and said they anticipate getting all their decisions out during the first week of March :/

I definitely don't think I'd qualify for any scholarships at this point, but this is my last school so it'd be nice to know :'))
This is my last school too! Praying for good news today or Monday! I heard someone say that March 8th is the aim to release all decisions for Yale.

This is my last school too! Praying for good news today or Monday! I heard someone say that March 8th is the aim to release all decisions for Yale.
Got it! Thank you so much for the insight :D

Today is my birthday... hoping I get my wishes granted in getting into my dream schools 🥺

• Care
Reactions: 42 users
I got my UCLA provisional award letter and it says I got $0 in scholarships or grants. I haven’t heard back about fellowships or anything like that — does this mean I’m straight up getting $0 in aid?
my award is the same ;/ just federal loans. But i think the fellowships have yet to be announced!

just got an email about a scholarship for umich (HMP) so hopefully everyone who is still waiting will hear back soon!! i applied 12/01, interviewed 12/17 and was accepted 01/06 for reference

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Some schools' funding distribution is more holistic than others.
Some state it clearly on their website they'd only consider merit-based scholarships for above a certain GPA.
I believe waiving standardized tests is generally a good thing within the US context. It's just going to be a lot more challenging for the admission process.

I think under some circumstances the GRE helped disadvantaged students with lower GPAs as you can study hard for the GRE and get a decent score that will help you application in terms of offsetting a low gpa, without the GRE they're putting more emphasis on GPA which some think is more reflective of ability to handle graduate school coursework, and so merit scholarships will look at the academic side more at the GPA. Definitely for public health they look at everything though.

I think part of waiving GRE scores is dropping graduate enrollment and a lot of the more technical/selective public health related degrees. and other graduate degrees still require the GRE, though I'd be happy to not to have to take the GRE again due to not quite doing as good the first time as I wanted and apply to those schools that don't require it!

Last edited:
I just got into UNC EQUITY!!!!!! It was a nice surprise! :") I applied on the last day! 2/1 lmao

• Love
Reactions: 27 users
Admitted to Pitts MPH in Infectious Disease & Microbiology!

I guess I had a good interview with the director yesterday because that was quick!

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
my award is the same ;/ just federal loans. But i think the fellowships have yet to be announced!
Fingers crossed we get some money because that estimated COA is not looking good! I really thought with $0 EFC/personal contribution I would some aid.

Yes! I am also still waiting on Global Health and applied a long time ago as well. I got confirmation of under review 1/25 and told 5-6 weeks. Today is 5 weeks for me.
Finally heard from BU and it was a rejection. Hmm, I am not sure what influenced my decision (I am sure a part of it was because of how disorganized they were this year) but I am happy to finally hear back from all Universities I applied to! All the best :)

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Finally heard from BU and it was a rejection. Hmm, I am not sure what influenced my decision (I am sure a part of it was because of how disorganized they were this year) but I am happy to finally hear back from all Universities I applied to! All the best :)
Sorry about that! I am sure mine will be a rejection as well. Did you look on the portal or was it an email? Agreed I just want to hear back!

Been MIA as work picked up this past week. Yale came through and responded to my prayers for funding ($$$). While I respect HSPH and the work it does (it IS a force in public health despite what I've seen people say about it on here), I am not willing to cough up sticker price for it. Like many of you, I can make a huge impact regardless of which of the top schools I attend, whether it be Yale, Harvard, UNC, Emory, Brown... yada yada. Go out there and kick butt!

I’m also looking for Yale pals !!
There is a facebook group and a discord! I can DM anyone who would like to join.

Been MIA as work picked up this past week. Yale came through and responded to my prayers for funding ($$$). While I respect HSPH and the work it does (it IS a force in public health despite what I've seen people say about it on here), I am not willing to cough up sticker price for it. Like many of you, I can make a huge impact regardless of which of the top schools I attend, whether it be Yale, Harvard, UNC, Emory, Brown... yada yada. Go out there and kick butt!
This is the truth here. Its not always about the top school. If going to a top school puts you in massive debt it isn't worth it IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
I was admitted to HSPH and given 50% off tuition scholarship. im wondering if anyone has received more? im feeling grateful but also stressed about cost of attendance. ill have to take loans out regardless.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users