MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting on Columbia financial aid??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone committed to Yale that didn’t receive a $60K scholarship? (Congrats to y'all who did get that amazing scholarship amount btw!!)

It just seems that most people who have committed did because of the financial aid, which totally makes sense! Just trying to get a sense of if other people are considering the school who may not have gotten as much aid from Yale?
me with 20k. total cost of attendance for me $60,000 a year or $120,000 total for the program.

did anyone get offered $$ (not including the MTS scholarship) besides loans for any of Hopkins MSPH/MHA/MSW programs? I'm really shocked that I got nothing but loans which won't even be enough to cover it all...like how do they expect people to pay to afford 59k yearly tuition
I received 15k from their Public Health Grant + 1k in work study!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
officially committed to UNC!!! Thanks everyone on this sub for your support! :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Has anyone committed to Yale that didn’t receive a $60K scholarship? (Congrats to y'all who did get that amazing scholarship amount btw!!)

It just seems that most people who have committed did because of the financial aid, which totally makes sense! Just trying to get a sense of if other people are considering the school who may not have gotten as much aid from Yale?
I committed to Yale with only $30k. I believe that the max scholarship offer for Health Care Management at Yale is $30k, for some reason.

This may be a long shot but does anyone know if there’s a Dartmouth GroupMe?

Got this email from Tulane today:

"After the admissions committee reviewed your application, they feel that you are better suited for some of our other programs:

The MPH in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences: MPH in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The MPH in Community Health Sciences: MPH in Community Health Sciences | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The MPH in International Health and Sustainable Development: MPH in International Health and Development | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

Can you tell me if you would consider switching programs?"

Thoughts?

(I orginally applied for epi)

• Care

"After the admissions committee reviewed your application, they feel that you are better suited for some of our other programs:

The MPH in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences: MPH in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The MPH in Community Health Sciences: MPH in Community Health Sciences | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

The MPH in International Health and Sustainable Development: MPH in International Health and Development | School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

Thoughts?

I got the same email after I applied for the tropical medicine track, but international health was switched with health policy. Since the tropical medicine track was the main draw for me for Tulane and the other choices were very different, it definitely put them lower on my list. I did end up switching my application to the health policy track because I had gotten into some other schools for health policy already but the COA of Tulane was the lowest compared to every other school. I think it depends on whether or not you are considering other schools and if you are willing to study a concentration so different from epi and with potentially different career outcomes as well.

Thoughts?

I think if you have any interest in those programs it is worth switching. You still have time to decide, but it would leave you with more options as we approach the deadline. I also applied to Tulane because of/specifically for the MPH&TM program; the tropical medicine focus was the main draw for me as well. I'm not sure if I would have ultimately decided on the school if I had been asked to apply for a different program, but personally, I still would have liked having the extra option when making my final decision.

I got the same email after I applied for the tropical medicine track, but international health was switched with health policy. Since the tropical medicine track was the main draw for me for Tulane and the other choices were very different, it definitely put them lower on my list. I did end up switching my application to the health policy track because I had gotten into some other schools for health policy already but the COA of Tulane was the lowest compared to every other school. I think it depends on whether or not you are considering other schools and if you are willing to study a concentration so different from epi and with potentially different career outcomes as well.
hey! yeah i think just because the name of the school is so much better than where i have gotten so far, and just given the opportunity for research, i think it would still be a good option to have in my back pocket

out of all of them id like social, behavioral and population sciences a lot, i orginally wanted to work in health equity anyways so it doesn't seem like a bad fit or that im settling for a program i dont have interest in just because of the school brand.

I think if you have any interest in those programs it is worth switching. You still have time to decide, but it would leave you with more options as we approach the deadline. I also applied to Tulane because of/specifically for the MPH&TM program; the tropical medicine focus was the main draw for me as well. I'm not sure if I would have ultimately decided on the school if I had been asked to apply for a different program, but personally, I still would have liked having the extra option when making my final decision.
Hey! yeah i really liked social, behavioral and population sciences a lot, i originally wanted to work in health equity, like you said it doesn't hurt to have that extra option tbh i would prefer it

and it doesnt seem like im settling for the program like it genuinely sparks interest. Congrats on your acceptance btw!! very happy for you :)

• Love
Hey! yeah i really liked social, behavioral and population sciences a lot, i originally wanted to work in health equity, like you said it doesn't hurt to have that extra option tbh i would prefer it

and it doesnt seem like im settling for the program like it genuinely sparks interest. Congrats on your acceptance btw!! very happy for you :)
Go for it!! I genuinely believe things happen the way they are supposed to, and all of who have put our hearts into this will end up where we belong. This switch could be the best thing for you and your career, you just don't know it yet. Obviously don't settle, do your research, and make an informed and sound decision. But sometimes the universe opens up the best opportunities for us under the guise of our "second choice"

and thank you so so much- it's been a wild ride as a first-gen student, and the support on this forum has been so impactful. grateful for everyone here- even if we've never seen each others faces, or know each others names 💙

• Love
Go for it!! I genuinely believe things happen the way they are supposed to, and all of who have put our hearts into this will end up where we belong. This switch could be the best thing for you and your career, you just don't know it yet. Obviously don't settle, do your research, and make an informed and sound decision. But sometimes the universe opens up the best opportunities for us under the guise of our "second choice"

and thank you so so much- it's been a wild ride as a first-gen student, and the support on this forum has been so impactful. grateful for everyone here- even if we've never seen each others faces, or know each others names 💙
youre gonna do great things!! i really believe in you, who knows maybe ill see you at tulane :)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
hey! yeah i think just because the name of the school is so much better than where i have gotten so far, and just given the opportunity for research, i think it would still be a good option to have in my back pocket

out of all of them id like social, behavioral and population sciences a lot, i orginally wanted to work in health equity anyways so it doesn't seem like a bad fit or that im settling for a program i dont have interest in just because of the school brand.
it seems like you're interested in one of the tracks so I say go for it!

• Love

Tulane SPHTM is a great school! For the record, it is ranked higher than Yale, if you are interested to know, and into that type of thing :cool:

The MPH program at Tulane is amazing and I think it's only 45 credits, with a 300-hour practicum where you can really put your learning into application, right away.

People from SBPS track end up in great places such as CDC among others.

This could be the shawarma sandwich that you always wanted! Go for it! So happy and thrilled for you!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
youre gonna do great things!! i really believe in you, who knows maybe ill see you at tulane :)
I'd love to connect if you do ultimately end up there!! Feel free to dm me if/when the time comes ☺️
good luck with the rest of your apps!!

• Love
Tulane SPHTM is a great school! For the record, it is ranked higher than Yale, if you are interested to know, and into that type of thing :cool:

The MPH program at Tulane is amazing and I think it's only 45 credits, with a 300-hour practicum where you can really put your learning into application, right away.

People from SBPS track end up in great places such as CDC among others.

This could be the shawarma sandwich that you always wanted! Go for it! So happy and thrilled for you!!!
hi zubear, thank you for the information!! i feel so beyond lucky to have gotten the opportunity to get into the MPH program even if may have not been for my top choice

im glad that you let me know about the SBPS track, i hadn't heard a lot of people who are going for that program!! glad there are career opportunities for that track!

hahahaha shawarma sandwich!! very funny, thank you so much for your kind words and support. very grateful for the advice and info :)

Accepted - Harvard, University of Colorado, Yale, GW, Dartmouth, JHU, BU
Waitlisted - Columbia
Attending - JHU Full-time MPH

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
finally heard back from SDSU Epi! I’m in! :)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hey! Can anyone help me with some advice? I am deciding between USC versus BU. Aside from the difference in ranking, I am a bit torn and was wondering if people have inputs regarding these two schools. Thank you!

Hey! Can anyone help me with some advice? I am deciding between USC versus BU. Aside from the difference in ranking, I am a bit torn and was wondering if people have inputs regarding these two schools. Thank you!
where would you prefer to live? two very different locations!

UCLA is so dirty for having me wait this long, pretty sure I won't hear from them ever. Had a friend tell me some schools just ghost you after you pay them and had 2 schools never get back to her when applying to grad programs .

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks UW for the finaid that I can't view bc I declined. I wish I could find out how much it was haha just curious.

• Care
UCLA is so dirty for having me wait this long, pretty sure I won't hear from them ever. Had a friend tell me some schools just ghost you after you pay them and had 2 schools never get back to her when applying to grad programs .
Hey I just wanted to let you and anyone else waiting know that UCLA finally got back to me with an update on the remaining applications. They said that they're still not done reviewing, but are hoping they can have the rest sent out by Monday. Best case scenario, I assume we're on some internal waitlist that they're trying to pick the best apps out of now. Good luck everyone still waiting on UCLA - I hope we all get some good news to end our application season :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do you mind sharing who you emailed?
Hi @PHStan23! I emailed the Chair of the MPH Program, Dr. Marie Diener-West, and cc'ed their financial aid office.

Would you mind sharing how you are formatting your appeal?

Sure @ssabrina! I asked another SDN'er who was able to appeal to JHU successfully last year, and based everything I did (including who to contact) from their advice.

First, I introduced myself and expressed my gratitude for being accepted. I wrote about what JHU means to me. I wanted to make it clear to them that they are my #1 choice and specifically stated this in my letter... I certainly didn't want to beat around the bush with that point! I then shared that the cost of JHU is a limiting factor for my ability to attend. To show finances have been a concern of mine and is something that I've been working to resolve through different avenues with JHU, I referenced a conversation I had with another staff member who helped me with waiving my enrollment deposit. I did mention I received a scholarship from a different public health program and listed that amount, but did not name them.

The rest of my letter was based on the application and SOP I submitted. Basically, I summarized what I was all about. I wrote about my future aspirations and how earning an MPH specifically from JHU would help me realize my career goals. Because I also wanted to make a strong case for myself, I briefly mentioned the work I had done locally and connected that with what I could bring to JHU and the Baltimore community.

Just want to add that I used the utmost care to express my appreciation not only to JHU, but to the other schools that had accepted or offered me a merit scholarship. The other thing was to remain humble while also demonstrating the type of MPH student I would be. This was why it took me so long to write, haha-- I didn't want to come off too strongly but also wanted to make sure my request was clear and confident.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I can provide more specifics there.

P.S.- Will also update y'all with any news. I was told by two different JHU staff that I was out of the race for scholarship funding prior to sending my appeal... but gotta keep that hope alive! 🥲

Last edited:
  • Care
Hey I just wanted to let you and anyone else waiting know that UCLA finally got back to me with an update on the remaining applications. They said that they're still not done reviewing, but are hoping they can have the rest sent out by Monday. Best case scenario, I assume we're on some internal waitlist that they're trying to pick the best apps out of now. Good luck everyone still waiting on UCLA - I hope we all get some good news to end our application season :)
Thank you so much! This is so helpful!

UW only offering me loans and work-study 🙃

tenor.gif

• Haha
  • Sad
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Tufts is currently doing that to me. It's okay though, I already accepted an offer for another school. Maybe by the time I finish my program, I'll finally hear back from Tufts!

• Haha
Hi all, did any of you receive an email from JHU that your financial aid letter is available or they just update the portal?
Also did JHU decide if the classes will be online or in-person yet? I haven't heard anything. Thanks!

Hi all, did any of you receive an email from JHU that your financial aid letter is available or they just update the portal?
Also did JHU decide if the classes will be online or in-person yet? I haven't heard anything. Thanks!
For the summer term (MPH), classes will all be online except for one option 1-credit class that will be in person! TBA for fall classes (I'm hoping for in person or hybrid!)

Just wanted to vent/rant. I've been having panic attacks all day today at work feeling hopeless and overwhelmed thinking about how much debt I'll be taking on just to go to a good school (~$80k+). I knew I'd have to, but accepting the financial aid just hit me like a brick. I wanted to do the military's scholarship program where they pay for grad school if you serve for 3 years, but I also just found out I'm disqualified for years just for taking a low dose of antidepressants. Not to be pretentious, but I have years worth of amazing qualifications from undergrad exemplifying my commitment to my research career, and it feels so ****ty not being able to have my potential fully realized under the crushing debt. I could have just stayed in-state at my lower-ranked undergraduate school, but with a career goal in academia where prestige can be crucial, it feels like I have no choice.

I don't know what to do but cry and vent online.

• Care
Reactions: 21 users
Just wanted to vent/rant. I've been having panic attacks all day today at work feeling hopeless and overwhelmed thinking about how much debt I'll be taking on just to go to a good school (~$80k+). I knew I'd have to, but accepting the financial aid just hit me like a brick. I wanted to do the military's scholarship program where they pay for grad school if you serve for 3 years, but I also just found out I'm disqualified for years just for taking a low dose of antidepressants. Not to be pretentious, but I have years worth of amazing qualifications from undergrad exemplifying my commitment to my research career, and it feels so ****ty not being able to have my potential fully realized under the crushing debt. I could have just stayed in-state at my lower-ranked undergraduate school, but with a career goal in academia where prestige can be crucial, it feels like I have no choice.

I vented and got **** on by a few people here. but i feel you on costs. especially with your stats.

• Care
  • Wow

Also going ~80k in debt to get my degree. Makes me want to throw up but we just have to make sure we do everything in our power to make the most of this degree so it is worth it in the end.

• Care

I am so sorry to hear that! I have a friend who is considering UW but there approach on the whole Financial Aid is a big mess. I feel the same way where if its even worth going out of state and being a broke ***h. I just found out too that it's mandatory to attend a summer course but Financial Aid is not being offered sooo I might have to take out an outisde loan :cryi:

• Care
i feel you. columbia just got back w my appeal. idk i feel like i live in two worlds where i get no financial aid but literally got an interview from the WHO yesterday
idk what they look for at allllllllllllll
I think we sometimes wrap too much of our self worth in what schools we get accepted to and what aid they choose to give, and forget how subjective it all is, even sometimes seeming like a crapshoot. There’s so much more to us as people than what is conveyed on a single application to a school.

Congratulations on your interview, that’s amazing!

I think we sometimes wrap too much of our self worth in what schools we get accepted to and what aid they choose to give, and forget how subjective it all is, even sometimes seeming like a crapshoot. There’s so much more to us as people than what is conveyed on a single application to a school.

Congratulations on your interview, that’s amazing!
thanks! I def agree. I don’t define self worth based on what school i went to or how much money i got. it’s just so frustrating financially

i feel you. columbia just got back w my appeal. idk i feel like i live in two worlds where i get no financial aid but literally got an interview from the WHO yesterday
That is BIG and you should be proud!! As a DC area native, I tried applying for WHO internships (yes the unpaid ones) all throughout undergrad with no success. But I guess I was a lot less qualified back then haha. Congratulations!!

Wow congrats! the WHO is where I would ultimately want to work. What position did you apply for? Most positions I look at require 7 years of experience, which I don't have :/

Reactions: 2 users
That is BIG and you should be proud!! As a DC area native, I tried applying for WHO internships (yes the unpaid ones) all throughout undergrad with no success. But I guess I was a lot less qualified back then haha. Congratulations!!
haha thanks idk how tbh😭 i need to manifest this bc i have had some bad luck with interviews this year

For you (and anyone else stressing about finances) I really recommend possibly deferring for a year or so and working to save up a bit.
I would have been stressing out the exact same way as you guys, had I just dived in to my MPH right after undergrad. Hell it would've been impossible, I was broke af at the time. My family is dirt poor, so I have zero generational wealth to fall back on. The best decision I ever made was working 2 years before starting my MPH. Even though I'm still a little stressed about finances, it's nowhere near as bad anymore. Working full-time helped me save up a lot and I can confidently say it was the reason I got some incredible scholarships. I know the job market is less than ideal rn but it will start coming back soon. Just take any full-time job you can get, even if it's not entirely public health related.

Idk why the majority tries to go in right after undergrad, the top public health schools like seeing experience. Hopkins literally required it. I guess this year the circumstances are different bc the pandemic f'd up the job market, unfortunately. But this has been a trend with previous years too. And another part of the problem is there's a lack of public health jobs you can get with only a bachelors degree. I lucked out in that sense, even though it's a job with virtually no benefits and mediocre pay.

Ugh. At the end of the day, capitalism sucks and now every university is a damn business. Student debt should be forgiven to a certain extent. Exceptional candidates like yourself deserve so much more. This backwards ass system and country can rot.

Reactions: 11 users
Wow congrats! the WHO is where I would ultimately want to work. What position did you apply for? Most positions I look at require 7 years of experience, which I don't have :/
its a contract/consultancy position not one of their like official official positions

Reactions: 2 users
For you (and anyone else stressing about finances) I really recommend possibly deferring for a year or so and working to save up a bit.
I would have been stressing out the exact same way as you guys, had I just dived in to my MPH right after undergrad. Hell it would've been impossible, I was broke af at the time. My family is dirt poor, so I have zero generational wealth to fall back on. The best decision I ever made was working 2 years before starting my MPH. Even though I'm still a little stressed about finances, it's nowhere near as bad anymore. Working full-time helped me save up a lot and I can confidently say it was the reason I got some incredible scholarships. I know the job market is less than ideal rn but it will start coming back soon. Just take any full-time job you can get, even if it's not entirely public health related.

Idk why the majority tries to go in right after undergrad, the top public health schools like seeing experience. Hopkins literally required it. I guess this year the circumstances are different bc the pandemic f'd up the job market, unfortunately. But this has been a trend with previous years too. And another part of the problem is there's a lack of public health jobs you can get with only a bachelors degree. I lucked out in that sense, even though it's a job with virtually no benefits and mediocre pay.

Ugh. At the end of the day, capitalism sucks and now every university is a damn business. Student debt should be forgiven to a certain extent. Exceptional candidates like yourself deserve so much more. This backwards ass system and country can rot.
Great point, but just wanted to add a little note.

Before deferring, it would be smart to calculate the salary of the job you would be able to get AFTER your master’s program compared to the job you could get right now if you defer.

For example, if you defer and get a $30,000 a year job now, you can maybe save up like... $5,000 - $10,000 max?

But if your MPH would help you get a job out of the gate thats $50,000 for example, it would not have even been worth it to defer.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 9 users
hello all, i have a question for those who applied Fafsa. did you guys also applied for Grad Plus loan or did you only submit Fafsa?

I’m glad you were able to do that!! Unfortunately I’m working full time now but live paycheck to paycheck. I’ve accepted this is a necessary step to better my life 😭 and I’ll do what I have to do

Reactions: 5 users
Great point, but just wanted to add a little note.

Before deferring, it would be smart to calculate the salary of the job you would be able to get AFTER your master’s program compared to the job you could get right now if you defer.

For example, if you defer and get a $30,000 a year job now, you can maybe save up like... $5,000 - $10,000 max?

But if your MPH would help you get a job out of the gate thats $50,000 for example, it would not have even been worth it to defer.

Just my 2 cents.
It's understandable if you weren't a recipient of a decent financial aid package. If you were, however, you risk losing your scholarship and there's no guarantee you'd receive a similar amount next year.

hello all, i have a question for those who applied Fafsa. did you guys also applied for Grad Plus loan or did you only submit Fafsa?
just fafsa. you apply for grad plus in the summer