MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great point, but just wanted to add a little note.

Before deferring, it would be smart to calculate the salary of the job you would be able to get AFTER your master’s program compared to the job you could get right now if you defer.

For example, if you defer and get a $30,000 a year job now, you can maybe save up like... $5,000 - $10,000 max?

But if your MPH would help you get a job out of the gate thats $50,000 for example, it would not have even been worth it to defer.

Just my 2 cents.
VERY true!! Great point. Thanks for mentioning that! Definitely have to account for whether your salary and the COL during that time frame will actually make saving a significant amount possible.

I live really frugally rn. I rarely shop, don't eat out much, didn't go on vacations or trips. not a great quality of life sadly but I'm hoping my investment in this degree will change that a little bit in a few years :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, I don't see too many people applying, or wanting to go to state schools. Is there a reason? The vast majority I've seen on here have been these super expensive, prestigious private schools like Columbia, Yale, JHU, Emory, etc. I feel like there are a lot of really good "public ivy" schools that would be much cheaper and would be a better value for your degree. I really don't think an Ivy League caliber school name matters as much as we think it does. Especially if it means going into debt that well exceeds many of the starting salaries in the PH field. I think if you're strategic and make the most out of your program, and the right moves, you can ultimately end up where you want.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just out of curiosity, I don't see too many people applying, or wanting to go to state schools. Is there a reason? The vast majority I've seen on here have been these super expensive, prestigious private schools like Columbia, Yale, JHU, Emory, etc. I feel like there are a lot of really good "public ivy" schools that would be much cheaper and would be a better value for your degree. I really don't think an Ivy League caliber school name matters as much as we think it does. Especially if it means going into debt that well exceeds many of the starting salaries in the PH field. I think if you're strategic and make the most out of your program, and the right moves, you can ultimately end up where you want.
Not gonna lie, I was like that at first. The realization of insane debt for a career that will likely not make me a six-figure salary is what brought me back down to reality.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for starters, none of my state's schools had a legit "School of Public Health" lol. There are like 3 MPH programs, but they don't offer the same breadth of quality or opportunities. One of the MPH programs in my state is actually the lowest ranked in the entire country, for good reasons lol. Having gone to undergrad at the school with the best ranked MPH program in my state (and the only one in a good location for jobs), I just wanted something different and higher quality since the bachelors public health program just didn't feel very intellectually stimulating or challenging. I already knew most faculty since I took their undergrad classes and they're very hit or miss. Plus people who did end up pursuing their MPH there didn't have great things to say about it lol.

Another thing was that my degree is an investment, and I want it to be a good one - I'd rather throw $60k at a reputable, quality program/school for good global connections, opportunities, and job outcomes than $30k at my state school which was average quality and not as well known by employers outside my state. If I planned on living in my state forever, then yes, it would have sufficed, but I definitely don't want to do that. I can def see myself working internationally. If my state schools had bigger name recognition nationally, like UMich or UNC, then yes, I certainly would've chosen an instate school.

I'm also not sure if my MPH is "the end" for me. I may or may not want to pursue a PhD or DrPH down the road, but I want to be prepared for that if I do, so choosing a more reputable school/program would give me a more competitive edge on that admissions process.

An MPH is still what you make of it, going to a top school means nothing if you don't put in the effort to take opportunities that will help you succeed. But if I can do both, imma do both 🤷‍♀️

Phew, ok I think I've talked too much tonight. I'll shut up. The thread is all y'alls now :rofl:

ok edit bc I just thought of more reasons: @mackeral mentioned a good point about how out-of-state tuition at some schools is similar to private schools - this is definitely true. My jaw dropped when I took a good look at the price of UMich, a public school, for out-of-state. Also, the MPH programs in my state offer mostly generalist concentrations with no way to customize the program the way I could at other schools. Lastly, my undergrad state school is literally 30 min away from GW, and within close-ish proximity to UMD and JHU, all of which are much better known and far more reputable than my school. So if I were to stay, I would have to compete with those students for jobs, and it would be really difficult. DC area job market is competitive enough as is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
So I’m from Texas and we have good programs. Idk how to say this but I’m super ambitious and I feel like my ambition would be fed with a bigger program. I knew nothing excited me in texas - working for insurance or pharma is if I’m out of options or in a place where it’s my only option. I don’t want to work in hospitals - It’s an option sure but it would be down the line for me. I want global impact in why I do and I feel like all the jobs for that work is in DC or NYC. Sure I could go to a state program and will most likely still have a good job but It’ll be harder (maybe though? I have great experience from a state school so I guess it doesn’t matter) but I think there are more opportunities year round. I really think it all depends on what your goals are.

Reactions: 3 users
Personally, if UNC had accepted me, as a NC resident I would have definitely gone. Too good of an opportunity to pass up with in-state tuition.

However, I didn't really consider any other state schools but Colorado, and even then I was iffy. I really believe you get out what you put in, and plenty of sucessful people have gone to state schools. But with out of state tuition rates at some of these schools, it's comparable to the private schools. Also, when looking at program options in SOPHAS, the programs and concentrations that interested me the most seemed to be at private schools. Wasn't done on purpose, just seemed to be the case.

I hope to work internationally, so name recognition matters to me; particularly as I would prefer to start that chapter before considering another degree. While this can definitely be done without the name, connections made at these schools AND name recognition really do help.

Schools like Yale and Harvard (most of the Ivies), though they may not be on top in rankings today, have huge historical presence in the field. Further, they're more known for their law programs- students who are more interested in policy might really benefit from that.

I also wanted to have access to facilities; though I'm sure I won't be able to use them, Tulane has a BSL-3 lab as well as a primate research center. Emory obviously has close connections with the CDC. Private research universities/ schools with a major public health presence just do tend to have more resources in that aspect.

State schools are still a fantastic option, so I hope no one takes any of this the wrong way! I think it really depends on what you want out of the program as well as career/academic goals. and of course, what you put in is so, so much more important. Just giving reasoning for my lack of apps to state schools.

Reactions: 2 users

Like others have said, my state's flagship university is mid-ranked with very limited research in the fields of zoonotic and tropical diseases but is otherwise a good public health school for other fields. The more prestigious, high-ranking schools like JHU, Columbia, Harvard, Emory, etc. (I don't understand the appeal of Yale) are likely to have more opportunities and faculty if you have more niche interests, especially if you plan to work in academia. Many state universities have good programs, but I don't see myself working for health departments or staying in my state. Thus, I feel like I should take the investment opportunity to study out-of-state at a great school if I'm offered the chance. Paying full out-of-state tuition for less than great wouldn't be worth it.

Now, if I lived in CA, WA, MI, or NC, I would definitely choose those flagship in-state schools over the debt from a private school.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all, did any of you receive an email from JHU that your financial aid letter is available or they just update the portal?
Also did JHU decide if the classes will be online or in-person yet? I haven't heard anything. Thanks!
I received the email on April 5th, but another applicant I know didn't get an email, but did have updated financial aid info in SIS.

• Love
I work full-time and was looking for an interdisciplinary program that would allow me 3 years to finish my MPH. And I wanted the option to do most of a program online, with the option to take in-person classes when time permitted. I'm also 10 years into my public health career, and really want to take classes and collaborate with the brightest minds in the field to further the health equity work my team and I do. All of this led me to apply to JHU. I ended up getting a fellowship, which sealed the deal, but probably would have gone without the fellowship.

I recieved my final acceptance tonight from the University of Toronto for an MPH in the Social and Behavioural Health Sciences stream!! I'm super excited since this was an extremely competitive cycle and U of T is the top school in Canada (where I'm from). I'm going to take a look at some numbers before I officially decide (99.99% sure Columbia), but I want to thank everyone for your support and guidance this cycle! I truly appreciate all of your time and dedication to keeping this forum and genuinely wanting to help other applicants through the process. You've all been tremendous and are going to be wonderful PH students and professionals.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
For you all matriculating to Columbia, how do you guys plan on paying for it? It's definitely one of the more expensive (if not the most expensive) MPH programs out there. Housing is gonna be a pain, too (~18.9k annually). I wanna commit, I really do, but that debt has got me feeling all kinds of anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Big names also have a better chance of better funding.
My instate U of MN has an actually pretty high-ranked PH program, but it offers me nothing other than in-state tuition. Tuition total will be $48,672 for in-state and $63,936 for oos.
Meanwhile Yale embraces me with a fat award which makes the tuition $38,646 for two years! $19,323 for a year is really fine.
And funding is probably not gonna stop there. There are so many other funded opportunities for the two years I will be there. Decently paid TA/RA, funded global research, covered fieldwork trips, all kinds of fellowships, let alone all other connections, resources, and people you come across on campus... Plus the intellectual excitement and challenges I know I will encounter. It'll be a lot of fun hopefully!!
I believe many of the other big names can provide similar things even if they didn't give out an initial scholarship for incoming students. Like my co-worker on my research team who went to Harvard for her MPH and got all kinds of funding after she committed.
Fitting is really what matters the most I believe. For what I'm aiming for, Yale is the right place.
I'd go even if they didn't give me this award. (No Yale turn around you didn't see me saying that)

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Well, for starters, none of my state's schools had a legit "School of Public Health" lol. There are like 3 MPH programs, but they don't offer the same breadth of quality or opportunities. One of the MPH programs in my state is actually the lowest ranked in the entire country, for good reasons lol. Having gone to undergrad at the school with the best ranked MPH program in my state (and the only one in a good location for jobs), I just wanted something different and higher quality since the bachelors public health program just didn't feel very intellectually stimulating or challenging. I already knew most faculty since I took their undergrad classes and they're very hit or miss. Plus people who did end up pursuing their MPH there didn't have great things to say about it lol.

Another thing was that my degree is an investment, and I want it to be a good one - I'd rather throw $60k at a reputable, quality program/school for good global connections, opportunities, and job outcomes than $30k at my state school which was average quality and not as well known by employers outside my state. If I planned on living in my state forever, then yes, it would have sufficed, but I definitely don't want to do that. I can def see myself working internationally. If my state schools had bigger name recognition nationally, like UMich or UNC, then yes, I certainly would've chosen an instate school.

I'm also not sure if my MPH is "the end" for me. I may or may not want to pursue a PhD or DrPH down the road, but I want to be prepared for that if I do, so choosing a more reputable school/program would give me a more competitive edge on that admissions process.

An MPH is still what you make of it, going to a top school means nothing if you don't put in the effort to take opportunities that will help you succeed. But if I can do both, imma do both 🤷‍♀️

Phew, ok I think I've talked too much tonight. I'll shut up. The thread is all y'alls now :rofl:

ok edit bc I just thought of more reasons: @mackeral mentioned a good point about how out-of-state tuition at some schools is similar to private schools - this is definitely true. My jaw dropped when I took a good look at the price of UMich, a public school, for out-of-state. Also, the MPH programs in my state offer mostly generalist concentrations with no way to customize the program the way I could at other schools. Lastly, my undergrad state school is literally 30 min away from GW, and within close-ish proximity to UMD and JHU, all of which are much better known and far more reputable than my school. So if I were to stay, I would have to compete with those students for jobs, and it would be really difficult. DC area job market is competitive enough as is.
The state you just described sounds like Virginia. And I think I know what school you're taking about if so😅
there's no need in giving a program money just because it's in state if they lack in research opportunities, education, and network

The state you just described sounds like Virginia. And I think I know what school you're taking about if so😅
there's no need in giving a program money just because it's in state if they lack in research opportunities, education, and network
Haha you guessed right!!! It is Virginia :) And yeah exactly, the most important thing about a masters in my opinion is the potential opportunities, quality of education, and network/connections you can make. I don't think I'd get that out of any of the VA schools.

For you all matriculating to Columbia, how do you guys plan on paying for it? It's definitely one of the more expensive (if not the most expensive) MPH programs out there. Housing is gonna be a pain, too (~18.9k annually). I wanna commit, I really do, but that debt has got me feeling all kinds of anxious.
I have some money saved up from the last 1.5 years to get me through the first 8 months of living expenses. I didnt get any scholarships/grants so I'm planning on taking loans out for tuition and then working once the core semester is over.

Housing is much cheaper in NY rn than it usually is, if you find roomates you can get your rent cost down to like $800/month, especially in washington heights.

Lastly, bear with me because I know some might disagree but 80K is not as much money as it seems right now. I know the upfront cost seems daunting, but this is an investment in yourself that I think will pay off. I've always had the perspective that student loan debt is healthy debt - its an investment in yourself that you're guaranteed not to loose. There are so many opportunities and connections at a school like Columbia and in NYC that I think make the cost worth it. Big loans aren't something everyone is willing to take on, and that's okay! Personally, I know that it won't stress me out too much and I know that if I'm diligent it will be manageable, but its all about your debt tolerance.

I have some money saved up from the last 1.5 years to get me through the first 8 months of living expenses. I didnt get any scholarships/grants so I'm planning on taking loans out for tuition and then working once the core semester is over.

Housing is much cheaper in NY rn than it usually is, if you find roomates you can get your rent cost down to like $800/month, especially in washington heights.

Lastly, bear with me because I know some might disagree but 80K is not as much money as it seems right now. I know the upfront cost seems daunting, but this is an investment in yourself that I think will pay off. I've always had the perspective that student loan debt is healthy debt - its an investment in yourself that you're guaranteed not to loose. There are so many opportunities and connections at a school like Columbia and in NYC that I think make the cost worth it. Big loans aren't something everyone is willing to take on, and that's okay! Personally, I know that it won't stress me out too much and I know that if I'm diligent it will be manageable, but its all about your debt tolerance.
^ agree with the part about debt tolerance, I think that's actually a really important point. Some people are just more debt averse than others, and that's totally okay too.

congrats to everyone who’s committed!! has anyone on the columbia waitlist e-mailed/heard anything back?

Yikes! One week until the magic date. Anyone else feeling the pressure?

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
congrats to everyone who’s committed!! has anyone on the columbia waitlist e-mailed/heard anything back?
I emailed earlier today asking if decisions will be rolling/if there's a chance we will hear back before May 15th. I will post when I hear back!

• Care
I emailed Columbia yesterday as well, will report back.
-
Anyone else still waiting on Brown?

• Care
Someone told me that they have already been doing a bunch of admitted student events and info sessions for UCLA which is rlly hurtful tbh because they haven’t even gotten back to a lot of students yet

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I just received $12,000 from UW for the graduate tuition exception program!!!! i am so shocked and super grateful but now this throws a wrench in my plans. i was set on emory and i could live with the extra $30k that emory would cost over uw but now i’m not sure... emory can offer me so much more than uw but now i feel like uw’s offer is too good to pass up since it’s basically 50% off tuition for a year. and of course this had to happen a week before the deadline, ah! is anyone else just super turned off by their top school not offering them any sort of aid? it just seems like emory doesn’t want me as much as i want them :( why is the richest school the stingiest

Reactions: 11 users
I just received $12,000 from UW for the graduate tuition exception program!!!! i am so shocked and super grateful but now this throws a wrench in my plans. i was set on emory and i could live with the extra $30k that emory would cost over uw but now i’m not sure... emory can offer me so much more than uw but now i feel like uw’s offer is too good to pass up since it’s basically 50% off tuition for a year. and of course this had to happen a week before the deadline, ah! is anyone else just super turned off by their top school not offering them any sort of aid? it just seems like emory doesn’t want me as much as i want them :( why is the richest school the stingiest
UW is a great school for public health and probably offers more than enough opportunities. I feel like most programs you get out what you put into it.

Also 30k extra is A LOT of money.

Columbia just got back to me, they hope to notify everyone on the waitlist by the end of April.

• Love
Aw! Congratulations. This is amazing!

I emailed Columbia yesterday as well, will report back.
-
Anyone else still waiting on Brown?
Still waiting too. I think I'm ready to commit to NYU at this point. It's stressing me out to wait with 4/15 approaching so quickly! 😬 Let's go, Brown!

• Care
Someone told me that they have already been doing a bunch of admitted student events and info sessions for UCLA which is rlly hurtful tbh because they haven’t even gotten back to a lot of students yet
I FEEL this. my friend got into UCLA and already SIRed there. she's been attending the admitted student events, and has already started talking to professors about research and TAships and stuff. kinda sucks for some of us who can't have that if we do end up getting in :( still hoping for that good news though!! keep your head high friend!!

Hi everyone,

I'm a current MSPH student at Johns Hopkins and was in your shoes a year ago. If anyone has any questions about the school, online learning during covid, etc. feel free to reach out!
[like seriously... I would love to help in any way I can.]

Sincerely,
UK_Med
Hi uk_med:

I'm trying to decide between attending JHU for their MPH in health policy and Yale. My biggest reservation about heading to JHU is that they will be online over the summer and hybrid the rest of the year (whereas Yale will be in person).
Do you feel like the quality of your education/connections with professors and peers was limited due to online learning?

Thank you so much for your input,
MPHCandidate1

I only received $20k (although I'm still very grateful for any aid) but I think I'm going to commit to Yale. There are a bunch of factors, but the main ones are how much I like their curriculum, community, and connections to the Northeast. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss!!!
Can I pick your brain, as I'm really on the fence! I'm choosing between Yale's one-year AP MPH in health policy and JHU's one-year MPH in health policy. I'm also interested in reproductive health, specifically.
I wonder how much "rank" counts in JHU's favor (i.e. getting a job post-graduation) vs Yale actually holding their classes in person this summer, and would love to hear your thoughts on why you're choosing Yale.

Have we seen your stats and backgrounds yet? Would love to learn! (bc what is Columbia thinking???) :D
Maybe they wanted to see a GRE score lol.

Undergraduate School: a school in the SEC conference
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65
Major/minor: Public Health
GRE(including date taken): didn’t take it

Experience/research: 4 years working at a university health behavior research center. The research center is part of a school in the big 12 conference. Currently overseeing several health behavior clinical trials. 2 first author publications and 5 total publications.

Letters of Rec: a professor emeritus from my undergrad and 2 faculty researchers at the research center.

Interests: e-cigarette research

Finally heard back from my last school. For those who applied internationally, got accepted to the MSc in Global Health at Karolinska Institute in Sweden.
Sad about this one, I loved living in Sweden previously but the program was my least favorite out of the 3 schools I applied to </3

• Love
just got the most confusing email from emory, i think i was given a spot for the incoming 2022 class but also waitlisted for this year? hahaha idk it took me a while to decipher the email but will not be accepting the offer anyway so 😗✌

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Big names also have a better chance of better funding.
My instate U of MN has an actually pretty high-ranked PH program, but it offers me nothing other than in-state tuition. Tuition total will be $48,672 for in-state and $63,936 for oos.
Meanwhile Yale embraces me with a fat award which makes the tuition $38,646 for two years! $19,323 for a year is really fine.
And funding is probably not gonna stop there. There are so many other funded opportunities for the two years I will be there. Decently paid TA/RA, funded global research, covered fieldwork trips, all kinds of fellowships, let alone all other connections, resources, and people you come across on campus... Plus the intellectual excitement and challenges I know I will encounter. It'll be a lot of fun hopefully!!
I believe many of the other big names can provide similar things even if they didn't give out an initial scholarship for incoming students. Like my co-worker on my research team who went to Harvard for her MPH and got all kinds of funding after she committed.
Fitting is really what matters the most I believe. For what I'm aiming for, Yale is the right place.
I'd go even if they didn't give me this award. (No Yale turn around you didn't see me saying that)
All good points! Part of my reasoning also is that we are still in the midst of covid so maybe the experience and benefits we think we may get from more expensive and prestigious schools may actually not be what it’s worth compared to how things were pre-covid. Like the campus experience won’t be the same if classes are still online, and I imagine many other things would be very limited and not as available compared to before. I still think the experience is what you make of it, and everyone has different reasons for choosing their school, but this is one of my reservations with choosing a really great private school that’s outrageously expensive versus a really good state school that’s much more affordable. Wondering if anyone is feeling the same as far as the experience not being the same with everything being so virtual and restricted

Last edited:
Hi uk_med:

I'm trying to decide between attending JHU for their MPH in health policy and Yale. My biggest reservation about heading to JHU is that they will be online over the summer and hybrid the rest of the year (whereas Yale will be in person).
Do you feel like the quality of your education/connections with professors and peers was limited due to online learning?

Thank you so much for your input,
MPHCandidate1
I actually do not think Hopkins has released whether or not they will be in person/hybrid/online the next year yet.

Sent an appeal to ask for merit aid reconsideration and was heard! Just received the news that I've been awarded an 18k scholarship to JHU's full-time MPH program!

I was told I didn't make the cut for scholarships a few times so for anyone else in a similar boat, there is still hope! Don't give up. :)

• Love
Reactions: 28 users
I actually do not think Hopkins has released whether or not they will be in person/hybrid/online the next year yet.
They said during the Master's panel this morning they were "98% sure" we would get an email about this today. If not, then by Monday at the latest.

Hi everyone,

I'm a current MSPH student at Johns Hopkins and was in your shoes a year ago. If anyone has any questions about the school, online learning during covid, etc. feel free to reach out!

Sincerely,
UK_Med
Hi UK_Med,

Thank you for answering questions! Is it a supportive, engaging environment among students and with faculty, or would you say it's easy to feel like a number or lost overall?

Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
UK_Med
Hey @uk__med
The one thing that makes me not as interested in the MSPH program is because it’s not an MPH program.

Do you see or think there is a difference in outcomes between the two. Do you feel like the program properly prepares you and teaches your skills especially as the class schedule is different from other schools? Do you agree the MSPH scews more research/acadamia heavy versus practice heavy?

"As always, offerings will vary by division, but on the whole, we anticipate a broad resumption of in-person classes for our undergraduate, professional, and graduate students this fall." - just announced by JHU

Just got accepted to Brown! Would I have been notified if I got a scholarship in the decision letter? (Sorry I know this was discussed it was like months ago lol)

I am hoping that they send me financial aid info ASAP considering the deadline is April 15, especially considering brown is the most expensive school I applied to. How quickly have they been sending out financial aid packages?

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just got accepted to Brown! Would I have been notified if I got a scholarship in the decision letter? (Sorry I know this was discussed it was like months ago lol)

I am hoping that they send me financial aid info ASAP considering the deadline is April 15, especially considering brown is the most expensive school I applied to. How quickly have they been sending out financial aid packages?
Congrats! My decision letter said I had received financial support and then the details were sent in an another email within an hour.

Rejected from Brown, so that officially completes the application cycle for me!

Congratulations to all the Brown acceptances today!

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Rejected from Brown, as well. This makes my decision a heck of a lot easier! 😤👍

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone know groups for admitted students of the keck school of USC 2021?

• Wow