MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone between BU and GW or just some general advice??? I am interested in global health so like dc sense for that but BU is cheaper. So like is more debt worth it to be in dc I mean I know people usually end up where they did their program but at the same time I could still attempt at one point to get a job in dc ?? Lol IDK what to do
you could get a full time job while in dc tbh

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to lose your spot if you don’t accept the offer soon enough?
Like if more people accept than they expected?
Nervous that I need to just accept UCSD and stop waiting for SDSU. Very stressful

What program at GW did you get into? Another thing to keep in mind is the COL in DC is high. But I have also heard that GW is very flexible about working students, if you wanted to consider getting a job.

I am curious, since I'm interested in global health as well, I have also heard really good things about the global health program at GW. Does anyone have thoughts on global health programs and opportunities between: GW, Emory, and JHU? And/or reputations for global health?
so for jhu - it looks like they have awesome research opportunities in different research centers
gw not sure about the school but bc its in dc - you can look for global health centers in every goverment office (nih,nci,hhs,cdc has a dc office) but unpaid internships still exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
so for jhu - it looks like they have awesome research opportunities in different research centers
gw not sure about the school but bc its in dc - you can look for global health centers in every goverment office (nih,nci,hhs,cdc has a dc office) but unpaid internships still exist.
That's true! I know it's definitely more difficult to break into global health, so that's definitely a factor for me (ideally I'd love to work for a multilateral agency or NGO) and I know a lot of those are located in NYC or DC, but I already live in DC and my connections are already here.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to lose your spot if you don’t accept the offer soon enough?
Like if more people accept than they expected?
Nervous that I need to just accept UCSD and stop waiting for SDSU. Very stressful
No, no you're all good until April 15th! And even then, you can email school admissions and ask for an extension on your decision time

Can someone please help me figure out what to prioritize? Money/scholarship? School prestige?? I feel like each PH ranking list is different, and ranks based on different factors. UCLA could make this all go away if they just let me know if I'm admitted or not lmao but still no response

Reactions: 1 users
That's true! I know it's definitely more difficult to break into global health, so that's definitely a factor for me (ideally I'd love to work for a multilateral agency or NGO) and I know a lot of those are located in NYC or DC, but I already live in DC and my connections are already here.
yeah that’s fair. The way i’m making my choice is that because my connections are already in DC that this is a good chance to make new connections in new areas in NYC

Has anyone been officially rejected from Columbia? I'm getting discouraged because it seems that the school opts to waitlist people instead of actually rejecting them. I applied really late after the deadline so I didn't expect to be accepted, but I'd rather they just send me a rejection now than making me wait until May 15? Idk
I did see some people post that they had been rejected by Columbia around the same time they started to hand out waitlist decisions.

Finally heard from USC! I got in!! It's been great being part of this community. Thank you and good luck to everyone!! ❤️

If you're attending Cal in the fall, I hope to see you around! 🐻

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Officially declined acceptances from both -

1) Columbia for the Accelerated MPH program
2) Emory for the Executive MPH

Both are amazing schools and I could not have wrong either way, had I chosen one of them. I know for a fact that students who attend Columbia or Rollins are amazing personalities, extremely talented, and I will miss learning from them. I hope that my spot goes to ones who are more deserving than me in every way.

For now, Yalie all the way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
No, no you're all good until April 15th! And even then, you can email school admissions and ask for an extension on your decision time
Oh good! Thank you so much for getting back to me so quick 🤗

Officially decided to commit to GWU for Health Policy! I have family near-ish, and I don’t think the opportunities in DC can be beat for what I want to do. I’m so excited!

If anyone else here has decided to attend there in the Fall, feel free to message me!

Also, does anyone know of a groupme for GWU?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Officially decided to commit to GWU for Health Policy! I have family near-ish, and I don’t think the opportunities in DC can be beat for what I want to do. I’m so excited!

If anyone else here has decided to attend there in the Fall, feel free to message me!

Also, does anyone know of a groupme for GWU?
Congrats! You're invited to my new group 'GW MPH Admits' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how difficult it is to change concentrations at Emory?

When writing an appeal for finaid did you all focus on specifically merit or need based aid? Or incorporated both into your letter? Not sure if I should just focus on merit (I think might have a better case in that respect)

When writing an appeal for finaid did you all focus on specifically merit or need based aid? Or incorporated both into your letter? Not sure if I should just focus on merit (I think might have a better case in that respect)
it doesn't matter. you just ask how they handle renegotiation's on financial aid.

They will let you know if their system is just a re-judgement of your existing application (for example: Boston) or if you need to follow up with a essay of why you should be reconsidered.

did anyone get offered $$ (not including the MTS scholarship) besides loans for any of Hopkins MSPH/MHA/MSW programs? I'm really shocked that I got nothing but loans which won't even be enough to cover it all...like how do they expect people to pay to afford 59k yearly tuition

anyone know how difficult it is to change concentrations at Emory?
I don't think it's hard from what I've heard from students/alumni. There's a form you have to fill out that would have to be approved by both departments after you explain your reasoning.

did anyone get offered $$ (not including the MTS scholarship) besides loans for any of Hopkins MSPH/MHA/MSW programs? I'm really shocked that I got nothing but loans which won't even be enough to cover it all...like how do they expect people to pay to afford 59k yearly tuition
I saw one person on this thread with MSPH offered $1000 work study in addition to the loans but that’s obviously nothing :/ I think they expect us to do grad plus loan. I saw someone with an MPH get $18k from Hopkins and almost cried lol

I saw one person on this thread with MSPH offered $1000 work study in addition to the loans but that’s obviously nothing :/ I think they expect us to do grad plus loan. I saw someone with an MPH get $18k from Hopkins and almost cried lol
Yup I got the estimated $1000 work study too. I was in disbelief lol. But the MPH is only a year compared to the MSPH (2 years) so I would think they'd offer a better package. Maybe I have it backwards. It IS a private school though so there's that. And no advantage of getting in-state tuition since it's all the same for everyone

Yup I got the estimated $1000 work study too. I was in disbelief lol. But the MPH is only a year compared to the MSPH (2 years) so I would think they'd offer a better package. Maybe I have it backwards. It IS a private school though so there's that. And no advantage of getting in-state tuition since it's all the same for everyone
May be a 1-year degree but the cost is pretty similar aside from living expenses.

So happy that SDN is back online!

Anyway, how are y'all negotiating scholarships from one school to another?

Reactions: 2 users
Just committed to JHU MSPH! It came down to Columbia and JHU for me but I ended up declining Columbia for various reasons that may not be valid to others (Columbia's communication sucks and I don't want to be at an institution that doesn't communicate with their students in a timely manner). Additionally, JHU'S 1yr curriculum+1 yr work experience is great for people coming straight out of undergrad like myself, and the overall cost of attendance ends up being cheaper due to the MTS. Good luck everyone :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Hoping to hear back from the remainder of my schools (still waiting on 3) before April 15.... I guess I’ll have to ask for an extension from where I have heard back from if not :/

• Care
Are we back? Yay!

I am most likely going to commit to NYU this week.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Did anyone in JHU part-time program get any additional scholarship other than the Welch's Scholarship? I was lowkey upset to open my statement and only see loans and that

Even while SDN was down, still no word from UCLA. This is so frustrating 😔

• Care
Hoping to hear back from the remainder of my schools (still waiting on 3) before April 15.... I guess I’ll have to ask for an extension from where I have heard back from if not :/
Woah! I got into USC moments after typing this!!! I’m so excited and happy!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hey y'all! Where are all my Emory folks at? I just committed, and it may be past 10 p.m. on a Monday night but I busted out the bubbly and I am toasting to this all finally feeling real! I'm also smiling bigger than I have since I realized I had to make these (much harder than expected) decisions! Can't wait to meet y'all and thanks so much for all for your support. :D

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Did anyone in JHU part-time program get any additional scholarship other than the Welch's Scholarship? I was lowkey upset to open my statement and only see loans and that
I only got loans, but I'm emailing admissions and financial aid tomorrow. I barely make a livable wage now. I'm sure they have some additional funding when tuition is pushing 80k and they're funded by a billionaire.

Hey y'all! Where are all my Emory folks at? I just committed, and it may be past 10 p.m. on a Monday night but I busted out the bubbly and I am toasting to this all finally feeling real! I'm also smiling bigger than I have since I realized I had to make these (much harder than expected) decisions! Can't wait to meet y'all and thanks so much for all for your support. :D
Congrats!! I'm probably committing tomorrow or Wednesday 💙🦅

• Love
Has anyone committed to Yale that didn’t receive a $60K scholarship? (Congrats to y'all who did get that amazing scholarship amount btw!!)

It just seems that most people who have committed did because of the financial aid, which totally makes sense! Just trying to get a sense of if other people are considering the school who may not have gotten as much aid from Yale?

Finally the waiting game is over for me. I am accepted to Columbia and JHU MPH full time with 18k scholarship, and got rejected by Harvard. I think I'm going to turn down Columbia soon. Thank you to everyone in this forum for making me feel less lonely in this journey.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Finally the waiting game is over for me. I am accepted to Columbia and JHU MPH full time with 18k scholarship, and got rejected by Harvard. I think I'm going to turn down Columbia soon. Thank you to everyone in this forum for making me feel less lonely in this journey.
Congrats!!:love:

Has anyone committed to Yale that didn’t receive a $60K scholarship? (Congrats to y'all who did get that amazing scholarship amount btw!!)

It just seems that most people who have committed did because of the financial aid, which totally makes sense! Just trying to get a sense of if other people are considering the school who may not have gotten as much aid from Yale?
I only received $20k (although I'm still very grateful for any aid) but I think I'm going to commit to Yale. There are a bunch of factors, but the main ones are how much I like their curriculum, community, and connections to the Northeast. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
After 4 hours of writing... just submitted my appeal letter to JHU lol. Really hoping there's some scholarship money they can reallocate!🥺

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
After 4 hours of writing... just submitted my appeal letter to JHU lol. Really hoping there's some scholarship money they can reallocate!🥺
Do you mind sharing who you emailed?

congrats! here's the groupme if you were interested: GroupMe

• Love
I only got loans, but I'm emailing admissions and financial aid tomorrow. I barely make a livable wage now. I'm sure they have some additional funding when tuition is pushing 80k and they're funded by a billionaire.
How are you formatting negotiating aid? I know they have additional department scholarships not including the MTS and Welch's and I was hoping that they'd give out at least some of the scholarships listed on their website to help. I can barely afford rent with my wage now so I'd really rather not be knee deep in loans too lol

Would you mind sharing how you are formatting your appeal?

I finally cracked and committed to Tulane last night! I wanted to hold out for finaid info, but the closer we got, the more I realized Tulane is the one place I can truly see myself. I'll be going into debt either way- I might as well go where my heart is calling! I'm so excited to start this next chapter!!!

side note- this was a very competitive application cycle. all of y'all should congratulate yourself on getting through this, whatever the results. I truly believe we are all going to end up exactly where we need to be 💙

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
How are you formatting negotiating aid? I know they have additional department scholarships not including the MTS and Welch's and I was hoping that they'd give out at least some of the scholarships listed on their website to help. I can barely afford rent with my wage now so I'd really rather not be knee deep in loans too lol
Basically I listed some personal reasons why I should qualify and leveraged a scholarship offer from a different school. Also, I pretty much begged and gave them praise for being #1 lol :cryi:

Hi! I got 30k and initially wrote it off, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to commit. I would save over 15k in loans going to another school, but Yale honestly has my heart. I can't picture myself anywhere else and I'm confident it will be best for my career. PM if you want to talk more :)

Edit: Does anyone have a link to a Yale group me? Here is the discord link for anyone looking: Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I remember Paul Whong saying in an information session that no one in the part time gets any scholarships (aside from welch or Bloomberg fellow)

Ladies and gentlemen (and those who identify as other), I have officially committed to EMORY UNIVERSITY ROLLINS SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH!!!!! 💙 🦅

This was an extremely difficult choice for sure, but I cannot be happier with my decision :love: Emory's Global Epi program, combined with their certificates and opportunities like REAL, proximity to CDC, location (I'm so excited to explore a whole new city!!), prestige, alum network, and my merit scholarship just make it the best school for me. Even though in the beginning of this process, I had my heart set on one school and I told myself I would go there no matter what if I got in, I chose elsewhere. I just felt super welcomed into the Rollins community and I can't see myself anywhere else 💙 Funny how I went from hating them for taking so long to give me an admission decision to now committing there :rofl:

I'd like to give a huge thank you to the SDN community - this was a long, difficult journey. You ALL should be proud of yourselves. Applying to grad school by itself is no easy task, throw in a pandemic and that's a whole new challenge!! And getting admitted into so many incredible schools in the most competitive cycle yet is just a testament to how successful you all will be in the public health field :) For those dealing with imposter syndrome like I am, know you are capable of so much more than you think, and you deserve your role in being a public health student and leader! I know all of you will do amazing things!!!

Ugh I'm getting emotional. I went into this process thinking it would be impossible for me to get into every school, but now I know the sky is the limit! Never settle for anything less than your best!

Blessed, ٱلْحَمْدُ لِلَّٰ. Can't wait to see you all in the field someday!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 31 users
Would you mind sharing how you are formatting your appeal?
I didn't apply to JHU but this is the appeal format I used that I found in last year's MPH thread:

Explain to them that their school is your top choice due to x, y, z

2. Thank them graciously for the amount they have offered.
3. Indicate that your choice in commitment will ultimately come down to funding. If you've been awarded a substantial amount to somewhere else: "another top program has awarded me x amount, which will reduce my yearly tuition to y amount." You could also bring up your income here (I did) or cost of living differences.
4. Don't ask directly about matching an offer, I said something along the lines of "avenues of alternative funding" or something like that. Ask straight up for the appeal though!

Reactions: 4 users

I have got 20k. I might not be accepting the offer.