This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abtazz12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I recently shadowed another DO (already have a LOR from one; already included and submitted with my AACOMAS application) and he is more than willing to write me a letter. The problem is that AACOMAS only allows 6 letters to be submitted, which I already have. The shadowing went smooth and I believe his letter will be even better than the one from the other DO, so I really would like the schools to have it. Would it be better to contact AACOMAS first about this or should I just go ahead and contact each school?

Also, I am filling out the ATSU (KCOM and SOMA) secondaries and they ask me again to input the contact info for the DO that will be writing a recommendation for me. Can I put in the info for that DO although he has not been included in my AACOMAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

I would open an interfolio account and store it there. Then check with each school regarding whether they will accept an additional letter.

Your title of "Must submit 7th letter" is, at best misleading. You WANT to submit a 7th letter. You believe that even though you are already making the schools read 6 letters that adding another one for them, beyond the AACOMAS limits will help? Has it ever occurred to you that going thru all these requests outside of AACOMAS will itself make you look weaker, desperate, unable to have organized your application well? A 7th letter from a shadowing physician for having something that went smooth is not worth any negative perception a school will get from you trying so hard to have it placed in your file. drop it and move on
If I were reviewing the file, I would think "can't follow instructions" then throw away the 7th letter without reading it because it's not a valid letter within the limit provided. I would be very careful of making this mistake

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your title of "Must submit 7th letter" is, at best misleading. You WANT to submit a 7th letter. You believe that even though you are already making the schools read 6 letters that adding another one for them, beyond the AACOMAS limits will help? Has it ever occurred to you that going thru all these requests outside of AACOMAS will itself make you look weaker, desperate, unable to have organized your application well? A 7th letter from a shadowing physician for having something that went smooth is not worth any negative perception a school will get from you trying so hard to have it placed in your file. drop it and move on

I’ll hijack this thread for a second because it looks like the question has been answered...

As a nontrad (late 20’s) does submitting six letters still come off as neurotic and obnoxious? My logic could be flawed though... I have an the extended period that needs to be accounted for and if they want to read my two science and DO letter they can ignore my two long-term volunteer LOR and my one supervisor LOR from my past career. They're grown they can stop reading, but if they need more they can have it... Is this being insubordinate to their instructions still?

Last edited:
-Your logic is flawed!
-If you send 6 letters same schools will read all 6 letters
-just the act of sending more letters than you should, at best, you cant follow instruction and, at worst, look either obnoxious or desperate
-what if they decide to only file the first 3 letters, whichever ones they are and they might not bc the right ones
-so you may be screwing yourself up rather than helping

Hmmm... Well now I’m worried about the bolded. I compiled a letter list that would satisfy all of the requirements from the myriad of schools I’m applying to (two science because some request just one and some request two, a DO letter, some ask for a nonscience professor, some ask for a leadership/volunteer letter).... If I could select just the letters I wanted like AMCAS I’d be ok but with AACOMAS sending all of them I guess I screwed up :/ Thankfully some of the secondaries ask for the name of the LOR writer that satisfies their requirements. But then like you mentioned I could have still screwed myself over if they don't file them :/

Hey all,

So I recently shadowed another DO (already have a LOR from one; already included and submitted with my AACOMAS application) and he is more than willing to write me a letter. The problem is that AACOMAS only allows 6 letters to be submitted, which I already have. The shadowing went smooth and I believe his letter will be even better than the one from the other DO, so I really would like the schools to have it. Would it be better to contact AACOMAS first about this or should I just go ahead and contact each school?

Also, I am filling out the ATSU (KCOM and SOMA) secondaries and they ask me again to input the contact info for the DO that will be writing a recommendation for me. Can I put in the info for that DO although he has not been included in my AACOMAS application?

Use interfolio for your 7th DO letter so later on you can forward that directly to any school if needed. Only add contact information of new DO if you already have a letter but if he doesn't give you one. I hope he will give you LOR.

Consider schools that receive over 5000 applications, multiply that by 6 and then if your file has already been reviewed you want to add another so they can go back into yours just to read one letter? Submit what you need and leave the other out unless they interview you and want to see another one.

Thanks everyone. I spoke with the doc and he agreed to hold on to his letter in case later on any school personally asks to read it

Hmmm... Well now I’m worried about the bolded. I compiled a letter list that would satisfy all of the requirements from the myriad of schools I’m applying to (two science because some request just one and some request two, a DO letter, some ask for a nonscience professor, some ask for a leadership/volunteer letter).... If I could select just the letters I wanted like AMCAS I’d be ok but with AACOMAS sending all of them I guess I screwed up :/ Thankfully some of the secondaries ask for the name of the LOR writer that satisfies their requirements. But then like you mentioned I could have still screwed myself over if they don't file them :/

I'm in the exact same position!!! I seriously thought it was like AMCAS. Can someone let us know if this will significantly hurt us for all 6 going to every school?

Some DO schools make you list the required letters you want them to read in their secondaries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the physician letter has to directly state you shadowed him? It’s included in my experiences. My physician I shadowed spoke about my qualities and passion as a person

Does anyone know if the physician letter has to directly state you shadowed him? It’s included in my experiences. My physician I shadowed spoke about my qualities and passion as a person
It doesnt