My plan for application process and the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good Plan?

• Total voters

Dr.Narcos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I just wanted to explain my plan of attack when it comes to my application process. Please let me know what you guys think.

FYI I am a junior in my undergrad. Starting January I will be taking: Biochemistry as well as 3 online classes that should require little to no work. Basically I have to worry about Biochemistry.

My plan:
Study This upcoming December until January 16 (Jan 16 is when the semester starts)about 25-30 hours a week.

Once school starts I created a schedule that will allow me to study 25-30 hours a week. Total study time about 500hrs

I have read that It is strategic to do finish your application and send everything (except MCAT scores) to one school on May 1st (The first day that the AMCAs open) that you know you don't have a chance of getting into... "A Wash School", such as Harvard YALE etc. This way your application will get verified. (Typically takes about 1 month to get verified and delays your application process)

I plan on taking the MCAT May 5th and results come out June 5th

This way My application will be verified at the latest on June 1 and my MCAT score comes out June 5th.

So,
Hopefully I can submit everything around June 6. Does that sound like a solid plan? FYI I plan on applying to MD and DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

You can't actually transmit your application until June 1st. You'll have all of May to finish your application and just wait until you get your MCAT score to transmit. I wouldn't submit without an MCAT score. June 5th is absolutely fine to submit. You'll be verified before you can get your secondaries.

Sounds fine but I personally would just enjoy your winter break and then start studying in January once you're back at school. You don't have many month-long vacations left in your life so appreciate the time off while you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation would be to make sure you've scheduled enough downtime with your MCAT studying -- do you have one day off per week?

Other than that, only thing to note is that AMCAS *opens* May 1, but can't be submitted to start being verified until June. No worries, that just means your MCAT release date is not a big deal. June 5 will be good.

2 months should be enough IMO to study but sound good. Do it.

Thanks everyone!

Yes my plan is
-Sun 8am-noon= 4hours
-M 8am-1pm= 5hours
-T NO MCAT
-W 8am-1pm= 5hours
-R NO MCAT
-F 8am-1pm= 5hours
-Sat 8am-noon= 4hours

23 hours a week
Im considering adding a night session of maybe 2 hours a week to review all wrong questions

So total 25 hours

Hey SDN,
I just wanted to explain my plan of attack when it comes to my application process. Please let me know what you guys think.

FYI I am a junior in my undergrad. Starting January I will be taking: Biochemistry as well as 3 online classes that should require little to no work. Basically I have to worry about Biochemistry.

My plan:
Study This upcoming December until January 16 (Jan 16 is when the semester starts)about 25-30 hours a week.

Once school starts I created a schedule that will allow me to study 25-30 hours a week. Total study time about 500hrs

I have read that It is strategic to do finish your application and send everything (except MCAT scores) to one school on May 1st (The first day that the AMCAs open) that you know you don't have a chance of getting into... "A Wash School", such as Harvard YALE etc. This way your application will get verified. (Typically takes about 1 month to get verified and delays your application process)

I plan on taking the MCAT May 5th and results come out June 5th

This way My application will be verified at the latest on June 1 and my MCAT score comes out June 5th.

So,
Hopefully I can submit everything around June 6. Does that sound like a solid plan? FYI I plan on applying to MD and DO schools

I studied during the semester and was able to be successful by being really organized, and doing like 2-3 hours every evening. If you do that over the course of 4 months you'll be fine. 500 total study hours is a lot; I probably studied like 250-300 max and that seems to be a number a lot of people report. The biggest thing is that you come up with a study plan that works for you and stick to it religiously over that extended period of time. Don't bee too fixated on an amount of hours. Good luck OP!