This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tali1954

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody!
My name is Ivan I am a senior graduating from University of Central Florida this December with a biomedical science degree my goal is to become a MD/DO. I wanted to ask for your opinions; I am planning after graduation joining the Navy reserves or Air Force, and while I am doing that I will be doing either 1 or 2 years masters degree so I can boost my GPA, and then apply to medical school. I am not sure if this is a good idea but I would like to know if someone has ever done this or is planning to do it. Of course if you have any comments please feel free to post them.
P.S I have always wanted to join the military both of my brothers served and I want to have the opportunity to do it too of course also focusing on my career goal.

Members don't see this ad.

The reserves are somewhat competitive and picky, so you might not just be able to join with the job you want at the time you want. Have you spoken to recruiters yet? That'd be my first step if I were you. It takes time to join the military with a background check, medical evaluations, package submissions, and waiting for slots to open up/funding.

I am AD Navy and I floated the idea here about staying on in the reserves during medical school and I was met with mostly "not a great idea" and "you won't have the time to do well at both." And that's with a 2-year non-deployment guarantee that the Navy SelRes offers after AD. You won't get that coming from the civilian world.

Additionally, if you intend on using the military to subsidize your masters degree, you might incur an additional service obligation. Every service and funding program is different, so you'll have to do some homework once you speak to a recruiter.

There are opportunities to serve while going to medical school if you're amenable to getting it all done with at once. You'll owe about 8 years on the low end, but you will get school and service out of the way with little to no debt! USUHS, HSCP, HPSP

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you get deployed it will mess with your academic plan.

Keep first things first......if your first priority is being a doctor do not join the reserves during premed

Reactions: 1 user