NC State University c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still staying tuned...
No news is good news. The NC resident applications are under committee review.

All applicants who are no longer under consideration have already received an e-mail from the Student Services Office informing them of this status.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but can any current students speak to the environment at ncsu? Like are people super competitive and cut throat? How is it like communicating with the professors?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but can any current students speak to the environment at ncsu? Like are people super competitive and cut throat? How is it like communicating with the professors?
I’m not a current student but a lot of OOS students asked this question this weekend and it was obvious they are a big family. One reply that really summed it up was “they have plenty of degrees to give out.” There is no reason to be competitive and they act that way. I loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
We try to channel the "competitive spirit" into our House System competitions. ;)

I’m not a current student but a lot of OOS students asked this question this weekend and it was obvious they are a big family. One reply that really summed it up was “they have plenty of degrees to give out.” There is no reason to be competitive and they act that way. I loved it.
I'm in the final throes of my fourth year at NCSU. The question re: competitiveness often comes up, and is a good one to ask (this was also important to me when I was an applicant). Every class has its own personality (some are uptight, some are laid back, some are super social, etc.), but this is, in large part, influenced by the culture of the school. Although I'm not close with many members of my own class, they are, by and large, a very good group of people. I would classify us as serious, but not competitive. Competitive in my mind = people willing to undercut (cause harm) to you in order to advance their own aims. This just isn't something I've seen/experienced at NCSU- in all the four years I've been a student here. The faculty/administration actively promote cooperation, and students are expected to get along and work well with their peers. If there was an instance of sabotage uncovered, this would not be tolerated by the powers that be- it would be squelched immediately. Students mainly compete with themselves, which is healthy and right. Overall, NCSU is a very collegial environment, at all levels. It's a nice place to be :)

Reactions: 2 users
One more thing, OP- the faculty at NCSU are generally amazing. I have close, professional relationships with several faculty that I have no doubt will continue throughout my career. These people shaped my experience at NCSU, and witnessed my super highs (like passing the NAVLE yesterday) and incredible lows (like struggling through anatomy my first semester). NCSU faculty have ALWAYS been willing to lend a helping hand when I was struggling in a course, or experiencing anxiety with respect to fourth year clinics/career trajectory. Truly, they're the best. I'll miss them when I move on to my next stage.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I have two quick questions:

1) Are confirmation emails sent when Fall 2017 transcripts are received or is "no news good news"?

2) Is there an estimate of how many IS applications have currently made it to committee review?

Thanks always for all the updates!

Does NC State provide an application review for rejected OOS applicants?

Hello! I have two quick questions:

1) Are confirmation emails sent when Fall 2017 transcripts are received or is "no news good news"?

2) Is there an estimate of how many IS applications have currently made it to committee review?

Thanks always for all the updates!
In response to your questions,
1) Yes, you should receive an e-mail from the Student Services Office once we receive your transcript and update the grades in our application software. Please be patient as we receive many transcripts at this time in the cycle. Also, the university was closed the last two days due to inclement weather. Finally, please contact us by e-mail (not phone) with any inquiries.

2) just north of 170.

Does NC State provide an application review for rejected OOS applicants?
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we do not conduct non-resident applicant review meetings.

At the end of the cycle, we will provide statistics on our website of the admitted class. Hopefully, you will be able to use that information to assess your application and determine what, if any, improvements need to be made.

Its also very important to keep in mind that we received over 800 applications for 20 seats. It is a very competitive non-resident applicant pool.

We thank you for your interest in NC State University.

With the inclement weather we’ve had, are IS decisions still on track to release early February? Could it be a little earlier like last year?

With the inclement weather we’ve had, are IS decisions still on track to release early February? Could it be a little earlier like last year?

The suspense is starting to kill me

Reactions: 1 users
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we do not conduct non-resident applicant review meetings.

At the end of the cycle, we will provide statistics on our website of the admitted class. Hopefully, you will be able to use that information to assess your application and determine what, if any, improvements need to be made.

Its also very important to keep in mind that we received over 800 applications for 20 seats. It is a very competitive non-resident applicant pool.

We thank you for your interest in NC State University.
I understand - it’s just that I had a 3.92 GPA and a variety of experience with small animals, large animals, research, and overseas research. I obtained interviews at all other schools I applied to and am waiting to hear. I was just surprised that I didn’t at least make the waitlist for NC State. I’m not sure that there was anything more I could have done. Just looking for insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you define early February like you did for December? I’m getting so anxious!
Applicants will be notified between Feb 1 and 28.

No other specific time frame can be identified.

Again, the university was closed the last two days due to inclement weather so worked is backlogged now.

Your patience is appreciated.

@NCSU CVM just want to make sure I'm keeping all my ducks in a row -
Between now and the decision deadline of April 15th, is all you need from us is fall transcripts by Feb 1, and then the FAFSA/scholarship stuff due March 1st? I want to be sure I don't lose my spot!

Thanks for being such a great resource on SDN! Its very appreciated.

@NCSU CVM just want to make sure I'm keeping all my ducks in a row -
Between now and the decision deadline of April 15th, is all you need from us is fall transcripts by Feb 1, and then the FAFSA/scholarship stuff due March 1st? I want to be sure I don't lose my spot!

Thanks for being such a great resource on SDN! Its very appreciated.
Yes, that is all you need to do between now and April 15.

word on the street is the admissions committee turned in all their papers on Wednesday.....should be any day guys! :)

Reactions: 6 users
This is a really random question, but is there a spring break? The whole block system with selectives confuses me a bit.

This is a really random question, but is there a spring break? The whole block system with selectives confuses me a bit.

NCSU does have a spring break. If you search "NCSU CVM academic calendar" you should find a link that provides you important dates and holidays that they observe.

Spring Break is from March 12-16 for the pre-clinical kiddos this year. In fourth year, there is no break....ever ;) JK, there are four blocks (8 weeks) of vacation to schedule as you see fit- even in fourth year!

Only two days away from “early February” now! I don’t know how much longer I can wait

Reactions: 4 users
The CVM schedules spring break to coincide with the annual AVMA student symposium. Spring break at the NC State CVM typically doesn't follow the university's spring break calendar.

I literally dreamed I got accepted last night
I had a dream about it last week ago. To say the least, I was not excited when I woke up and could not find the acceptance email :/

Do fall transcripts have to be postmarked by the 1st of February?

Do fall transcripts have to be postmarked by the 1st of February?

I'm pretty sure the email said that transcripts needed to be received by Feb 1st.

Hopefully NCSU starts teasing us soon :)

Will you confirm you got our transcripts or do we need to email/call?

Will you confirm you got our transcripts or do we need to email/call?

@ziggyandjazzy when I called them a while ago to ask if they accepted e-transcripts Nikkiya had told me I could call or email. But then somewhere else I saw an email that said please don't call, just email...But anyway, I emailed them and they got back to me :)

So are you still in the running then?? :D

PS IS people I hope you all hear soon! I'd be dying too if I was still waiting to hear from schools at this point :rolleyes:

It's only 8:30 am on feb 1 and I've already checked my email approximately 500 times

Reactions: 6 users
Happy February! Tomorrow is Groundhog's Day. Here's hoping you don't run into Ned Ryerson!

If you want to know the Nature of what's to unfold, ask Emily Dickinson.

She knows.

Rejected...I guess the dream is on hold for yet another year.

Congrats to all that received acceptances!!!!

Anyone who was accepted IS or OOS thinking about another school??
I was waitlisted but still have hope- 14 out of the 20 waitlisted last year made it.

Congratulations everyone who got accepted and don’t give up to those who were denied.