NCSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much. I'm utterly shocked at this point, my GPA is about 0.3 below the average for an OOS student.

That's why they're averages! :laugh: Obviously you're just awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

THANKS TRILT- i'm really not that awesome though, more of a lab nerd.

I'm heading down for my interview on Wed. Going to be much warmer than here in New England at least :thumbup:

Curious as to how many people are actually being considered/made offers for the dual program if they've already sent notifications. My itinerary mentioned lunch with "other applicants" but I thought the process was pretty much whenever you made it in to interview, you came.

Foxhunter already knows I'm leaning Cornell anyway (despite the hit to my wallet) but the ball is in NC State's court I guess? They have a packed schedule (8:30-5:00 Thursday and 8:30- 12:00 Friday) for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I emailed Johanna at Student Services yesterday and asked if she could give me a better estimation of when the IS letters will be coming and here is her response:

"The decisions have been made. The letters are being prepared and checked. They will be in the mail March 1. The interminable wait is almost over!"
:D

Hi guys! I emailed Johanna at Student Services yesterday and asked if she could give me a better estimation of when the IS letters will be coming and here is her response:

"The decisions have been made. The letters are being prepared and checked. They will be in the mail March 1. The interminable wait is almost over!"

FINALLY!!! :eek::scared::confused::soexcited::wow::uhno::cool:

(I have a lot of emotions going on over here about this)

Daaanggiiittt I'm leaving before I get mail on March 1st, and won't be back until the eleventh. Aaarrgh!

Daaanggiiittt I'm leaving before I get mail on March 1st, and won't be back until the eleventh. Aaarrgh!

Maybe have someone you really trust check your mail for you, and email you the results? :confused:

Good luck guys! :)

Still not certain I'll be coming in the fall, but wanted to start looking into places to live, roommates, etc. What are good places close to campus? Especially ones that don't have breed restrictions for dogs?

Still not certain I'll be coming in the fall, but wanted to start looking into places to live, roommates, etc. What are good places close to campus? Especially ones that don't have breed restrictions for dogs?

Call up or e-mail student services. They compile a list of student-recommended apartments close to school for the incoming first-years and can send that your way as a starting point. When I did my search it was definitely challenging finding places that were all-inclusive for all breeds (part of the reason why I adopted an old beagle instead of an old GSD). They're out there but can be tough to find. Again, student services may be able to help get you started.

Maybe have someone you really trust check your mail for you, and email you the results? :confused:

Good luck guys! :)

I just want to be the one to open it, you know? My boyfriend offered to get it, then without opening it taking it to Kinkos and having it scanned to me, haha, but nah, it'll either be an amazing end to a trip or a really depressing end to a long time in the airport. I had pretty much come to terms with the idea that it'd be coming while I was gone, then all these rumours of them going early got me overly hopeful about having an answer beforehand. Oh well.

Good luck with the wait everyone! I am a current third year and glad to answer any questions anyone has. Though I may be a bit slow, I promise I will get back to you!

I'm visiting at the end of March and should be able to get a lot of questions answered, but as a student what do you love about NCSU and what do you not like so much?

If you're coming for the reception thingy - I think it's early April - you'll find out all the loves of NCSU from our class. I'm kind of a practical person in my evaluations - unemotional for the most part. My likes are that the large animal unit is close by - walking distance for most things. I also like that for the most part, the curriculum is overlapping. This can get boring because you'll hear the same story in multiple classes. Makes it easier to study for tests though - you have one part of the material already known. Viro and immuno get confusing, but the instructors sit in on lectures from both classes, so they tend to stay on the same page. The only dislike I've had so far is that some of the minor players get an attitude that is not compatible with my perspective. I know that's cryptic, but I've had to restrain myself in a small group exercise in the interest of maintaining a harmonic balance for the good of the group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day!! :xf::xf::xf:

Good luck to everyone if it is!

If you're coming for the reception thingy - I think it's early April - you'll find out all the loves of NCSU from our class. I'm kind of a practical person in my evaluations - unemotional for the most part. My likes are that the large animal unit is close by - walking distance for most things. I also like that for the most part, the curriculum is overlapping. This can get boring because you'll hear the same story in multiple classes. Makes it easier to study for tests though - you have one part of the material already known. Viro and immuno get confusing, but the instructors sit in on lectures from both classes, so they tend to stay on the same page. The only dislike I've had so far is that some of the minor players get an attitude that is not compatible with my perspective. I know that's cryptic, but I've had to restrain myself in a small group exercise in the interest of maintaining a harmonic balance for the good of the group.

All the information I've gotten about the reception says it's March 30th with the visit day on the 31st.

Yes, the reception is the 30th and we are having open house here on the 31st (our first in 5 years--gonna be awesome!)

Good luck guys! If you have any questions we can help you with, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Hey there,
I'm a current first year and remember stalking this forum this time last year. I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you all hear soon. I'm happy to assist in answering any questions you might have :)

Hey, just wanted to let you know I got a letter today, it was dated March 1st. I have been wait listed. The list is 13 people and last year 2 ended up being offered admission. I am in tears right now. But good luck to everyone and the letters have for sure been sent!

Hey, just wanted to let you know I got a letter today, it was dated March 1st. I have been wait listed. The list is 13 people and last year 2 ended up being offered admission. I am in tears right now. But good luck to everyone and the letters have for sure been sent!
Waitlisted means you are good enough to be selected to go there, try to stay positive!!!! I think it's a good sign!!!! I am waiting sooooo nervously for my letter.

I just got my letter in the mail...Accepted!!! Im so happy!!! I still have to hear from another school and then decide what I am going to do. I am sorry about the waitlist :( I was so afraid that would happen to me. Better than a rejection for sure!

I just got my letter in the mail...Accepted!!! Im so happy!!! I still have to hear from another school and then decide what I am going to do. I am sorry about the waitlist :( I was so afraid that would happen to me. Better than a rejection for sure!

Congrats!!!!
Of course, I would suggest you turn it down for another school :p.
It's a great school, have you been over to see the Terry Center?

Accepted!!!! :soexcited: I'm so excited to FINALLY be able to make a plan with THE :love: school I wanted!!!! Can't wait to meet all my future classmates!! Good luck :luck::luck:to all the wait-listers I hope you get pulled off the list! I'm so sorry for the rejections, NCSU doesn't know what they're missing :mad:

Third times not a charm i guess....rejected again =(... really thought this year would be my year...i have no idea what i am going to do

OMG!!! I missed the mail man...I left for 10 minute and missed him! Are all the letters certified?? I had no idea or I would have just sat by my mail box all day! :( have to wait until tomorrow at 10.

OMG!!! I missed the mail man...I left for 10 minute and missed him! Are all the letters certified?? I had no idea or I would have just sat by my mail box all day! :( have to wait until tomorrow at 10.

My letter is dated for March 1 and I live in Raleigh. If you live in Baltimore, I would give it a day or two at least before you worry (like that is so easy not to do ;)

My letter is dated for March 1 and I live in Raleigh. If you live in Baltimore, I would give it a day or two at least before you worry (like that is so easy not to do ;)

So here is my story...every word true...I totally thought it would take a few days because its being sent to MD...well I see the mail today and I have a paper saying that I have a piece of certified mail sent from Raleigh to me that I missed! Its the zip code of the school (googled it)...so naturally I thought that was it...I knew it had been within 10 minutes, so I go up and down the blocks trying to see the mail man running like a crazy person w/ ID in hand. Cant find him. So I go to the post office where I can pick it up tomorrow at 10:30 (as it says) to have the lady tell me...I can pick it up tomorrow at 10:30 (as it says) lol....I then see a postal truck in front of me on the way home, take it as a sign from God, and proceed to follow it....yes, follow it....to the parking lot where the mail trucks park. Thankfully for my own criminal record they park in a locked gate or who knows, I could be being booked for tampering with the mail, breaking into a mail truck and/or holding a US postal worker hostage....ALLLLLL for a letter that was not even my rejection/acceptance letter because I called the school and they did not send them certified.

....this application process is not healthy.

ACCEPTED!!!!! Congrats to everyone else!

Sorry to hear about the waitlists/rejections, but don't give up on it. I was waitlisted at NCSU last year, so keep trying, it will happen!!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. My condolences to those who have been rejected. Good luck to those who have been waitlisted.

I am trying to decided between three schools (NCState being one of them) and am wondering about the cost of living. I would love to know what your rent is and maybe on average what utilities run you, if you feel like sharing. Since tuition is all similar (and cost is important to me) I might find it helpful in making my decision. Though I'm visiting all the schools so if I fall in love with one I might go there regardless of the cost of living.

Does anyone know if a Facebook group has been created yet for those accepted? I didn't want to create a second one, but I can't find it when I search

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. My condolences to those who have been rejected. Good luck to those who have been waitlisted.

I am trying to decided between three schools (NCState being one of them) and am wondering about the cost of living. I would love to know what your rent is and maybe on average what utilities run you, if you feel like sharing. Since tuition is all similar (and cost is important to me) I might find it helpful in making my decision. Though I'm visiting all the schools so if I fall in love with one I might go there regardless of the cost of living.

Yeah but at NCSU you only have to pay OOS your first year, so it would most likely be cheaper than the other OOS schools. NCSU was even cheaper than my IS school :laugh: I just wanted to share that if you didn't already know.

Does anyone know if a Facebook group has been created yet for those accepted? I didn't want to create a second one, but I can't find it when I search

I'm pretty sure there's not one yet. It's good to get it going early, so you can start putting names to faces and getting to know people a little bit.

I still don't know the names of many of my classmates :oops:

You can easily get a nice one-bedroom apartment for under $600 per month (I pay $525). I get internet for $40, no cable, water for about $20 and electricity for about $50 per month. Some places will charge a small pet rent per month but mine doesn't. It's not the cheapest place ever to live but it is definitely affordable compared to other east-coast metro areas!

And yeah if you didn't happen to know that you can get IS tuition after a year, it makes a huge difference (I was an OOS student)!

Got my letter today... accepted!! I am quite impressed with the mail system. I live in Winston-Salem and figured any letters would be at least a day behind those in the Raleigh area. So excited that they came today. I am so sorry for any rejections/waitlisters. Don't give up hope yet. If you were meant to be vet, it will happen one day.

As far as a facebook group is concerned, I looked for one too and couldn't find one. Feel free to start one up Wolfpackgirl2!

Start one yyaayy!!!!

Cost of living is relative to the other schools you're considering. In general I think Raleigh is pretty affordable, but I'm from Maryland originally, so everything down here is cheaper. Unless you are from a really big city, it will probably more expensive than Arizona. But, where else are you looking?

A third year and I rent a house (with a nice fenced yard) that is five minutes from school for $1000 a month. In addition to that we split utilities which this month (so far the most expensive) was $200 all together. So that's about $600 each per month.

Just got back to New England after two days of DVM/PhD interviews. Faculty are wonderful (and I met a bunch!) as is the Terry Center. I didn't see the fabled " Designated Yankee Relocation Area" but maybe that's a surprise for later :p

And I missed out on the weather which was a nice bonus

Just got back to New England after two days of DVM/PhD interviews. Faculty are wonderful (and I met a bunch!) as is the Terry Center. I didn't see the fabled " Designated Yankee Relocation Area" but maybe that's a surprise for later :p

And I missed out on the weather which was a nice bonus

You're looking for Cary - "containment area for relocated yankees" :laugh:

On living expenses: I live down the road from the vet school in an eh sketchy townhouse complex for dirt cheap. My rent is split with two other roomies and I pay less than $350 for rent+utilities. You can really find a place for any budget.

On living expenses: I live down the road from the vet school in an eh sketchy townhouse complex for dirt cheap. My rent is split with two other roomies and I pay less than $350 for rent+utilities. You can really find a place for any budget.

Ahh trilt! You made me think you had an update on your status!!!! Hurry back from costa rica!!! :) hope you're having fun!

I rreeaally just want to go house/apartment hunting tomorrow!!!!

Ahh trilt! You made me think you had an update on your status!!!! Hurry back from costa rica!!! :) hope you're having fun!

Hehe, sorry! But I can't really complain about being here:

b9jUb.png

Last edited:

I have already started my on-line research for apartment hunting! I guess I will have to wait for the welcoming reception/open house to do anything in person!

P.S. very jealous of you right now Trilt. I love sloths. Second coolest animal... right after penquins!

I married in to a Connecticut family (lived up there for a little over a year as well), and I don't think that the majority of the people I met up there would care to live in Cary. And, no offense to anyone here who might live there, but I wouldn't live there myself either. No thank you!

I will create the group soon as I get home from running errands! I will post here when its up!

Yeah but at NCSU you only have to pay OOS your first year, so it would most likely be cheaper than the other OOS schools. NCSU was even cheaper than my IS school :laugh: I just wanted to share that if you didn't already know.

Yup. I've taken that into consideration. I'm looking at WICHE (in-state rate) tuition for Colorado and Wisconsin OOS tuition isn't too bad either.

You can easily get a nice one-bedroom apartment for under $600 per month (I pay $525). I get internet for $40, no cable, water for about $20 and electricity for about $50 per month. Some places will charge a small pet rent per month but mine doesn't. It's not the cheapest place ever to live but it is definitely affordable compared to other east-coast metro areas!

And yeah if you didn't happen to know that you can get IS tuition after a year, it makes a huge difference (I was an OOS student)!

That's not too bad. I'll be living with my soon-to-be husband in vet school so I think we're looking for something a little bigger, but right now we pay about $670 for rent and all utilities. I can't wait to move somewhere new though.

Cost of living is relative to the other schools you're considering. In general I think Raleigh is pretty affordable, but I'm from Maryland originally, so everything down here is cheaper. Unless you are from a really big city, it will probably more expensive than Arizona. But, where else are you looking?

A third year and I rent a house (with a nice fenced yard) that is five minutes from school for $1000 a month. In addition to that we split utilities which this month (so far the most expensive) was $200 all together. So that's about $600 each per month.

Right now I'm looking at NCSU, obviously, Colorado (I have been offered a WICHE contract seat) and Wisconsin. I think visiting them all will help me figure it out, but who knows.

That's good to know. Do most of the vet students live in the same area or do they seem to live all over the place?

That's not too bad. I'll be living with my soon-to-be husband in vet school so I think we're looking for something a little bigger, but right now we pay about $670 for rent and all utilities. I can't wait to move somewhere new though.

That's good to know. Do most of the vet students live in the same area or do they seem to live all over the place?

Hubby and I live in a 2bed, 2 bath 1080 sq apartment that's $795 a month. It's right on the trails around Lake Johnson, and our porch looks out onto the woods (very peaceful). Water usually about $40, electricity about $40, internet: $35. It only takes me about 6-8 mins to drive to school.

I'd say most people in our class live within 20 mins of the school, but we do have a portion of classmates who live at various locations within the Triangle (usually to accomodate a significant other's work commute).

I can't believe it, I'm so excited!!!! Congrats to all who got accepted!!!!!!

To anyone who tried and didn't get in, please keep trying if this is what you really want!!!!!! My grades and GRE scores were not the best, but I think NCSU really SAW me through my supplemental application essays and my personal statement. Don't give up!!!!!!

Hubby and I live in a 2bed, 2 bath 1080 sq apartment that's $795 a month. It's right on the trails around Lake Johnson, and our porch looks out onto the woods (very peaceful). Water usually about $40, electricity about $40, internet: $35. It only takes me about 6-8 mins to drive to school.

I'd say most people in our class live within 20 mins of the school, but we do have a portion of classmates who live at various locations within the Triangle (usually to accomodate a significant other's work commute).
I live at the same place, utilities are about the same. I have a one bedroom apartment and it runs a bit under $700 a month. One bonus here, they are very pet friendly. Pet fee at move in is very small, and no pet rent.