NCSU (NC State)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alonepear

MissState CVM 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend (wolfpacktwirler) had a quick chat with someone over at the NCSU vet school the other day and managed to coerce an idea of a time-frame from him.

Out-of-state students files were looked over before the new year, and all out-of-staters should have heard either a yay or nay at this point, or very soon.

In-staters files have been looked at since January. I think around 250 or so people applied in-state, and the first cut involved rejection letters to around 100 of them in late January, which have already been received.

Those in-staters who haven't heard anything at this point are going through the final review processess, and decisions *should* be made in 2-3 weeks. From years past, I think they almost always just send in-staters a letter of acceptance or rejection, no phone calls or emails.

They usually admit around 62 in-staters, and she mentioned they may be admitting a few extra this year. There are rumors that NCSU is going to eventually strech their class size from 76 to 100.

Also for anyone interested, there is a large open house held at the vet school on March 31 from 9-3. You can tour the school, talk to current students and faculty, and there are a ton of exhibitions and mini-shows put on by rescue groups and such. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

*should*, eh? And here I was thinking that deposits are due in April...oh wait, they are! Man, I'm so sick of this waiting I really just wish they'd go ahead and accept me. ;) I may not be able to make it through another 2-3 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed....

*should*, eh? And here I was thinking that deposits are due in April...oh wait, they are! Man, I'm so sick of this waiting I really just wish they'd go ahead and accept me. ;) I may not be able to make it through another 2-3 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Seriously.... I was looking over the FAFSA website today, and it has a list of due dates by state... and NC has a deadline of March 15?! Do we have to have ours submitted by that day to be considered for loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, NCSU wants it in by March 1 to be considered first for loans and possibly some grants (which are of course never easy to come by in vet school, so I've heard). I talked to the people at the financial aid office recently and they said to go ahead and file your fafsa as if you are going to any one of those schools you possibly applied to. Hope that helps!

PS - I'm so tired of waiting!!!

I love the shared knowledge! Thanks for posting. I was told in the fall by an admissions person that there were 200 in state applications this year. I guess that would mean they cut the applicant pool in half with their late-Jan. rejection letters (wow! would definitely make the odds much better!!). I also heard last week, well, thirdhand =), but from someone I trust, that in-state letters could go out this coming week, as they have been aiming for late Feb. since last fall--but if your info is more current, you're probably right. I can't wait much longer without driving everyone I know crazy!

I know that last year letters were sent out around the beginning of spring break, which is next week. Also, my disease professor is on the adcom and mentioned to another girl before class about them sending out letters at the beginning of spring break.

In-staters files have been looked at since January. I think around 250 or so people applied in-state, and the first cut involved rejection letters to around 100 of them in late January, which have already been received.

How accurate do you think this information is that they already sent out some rejections? Do you know any in-staters that have been rejected already?

How accurate do you think this information is that they already sent out some rejections? Do you know any in-staters that have been rejected already?

Yep, I know one girl from Greensboro who received an in-state NCSU rejection letter approx 2.5 weeks ago...

I know that NCSU doesn't require interviews...so if we've made it this far in the process (i.e. no rejection yet) what do you think the odds are of having an interview? It's such a strange policy to me. If you're delving deep into our applications to make those final choices, wouldn't you think that an interview might be helpful? I guess if you're just that good and you don't need an interview...but hey, I think my application would be better for one.

I know that NCSU doesn't require interviews...so if we've made it this far in the process (i.e. no rejection yet) what do you think the odds are of having an interview? It's such a strange policy to me. If you're delving deep into our applications to make those final choices, wouldn't you think that an interview might be helpful? I guess if you're just that good and you don't need an interview...but hey, I think my application would be better for one.

I may not be understanding your question correctly, but NCSU doesn't interview at all so there are no odds...

I'm not gonna lie I am getting quite anxious as I am sure everyone else is too. Has anyone heard any new updates? I keep hearing anywhere from this week to the end of March. Good luck to everyone!

I'm not gonna lie I am getting quite anxious as I am sure everyone else is too. Has anyone heard any new updates? I keep hearing anywhere from this week to the end of March. Good luck to everyone!

ANXIOUS doesn't even begin to describe it! I cross my fingers every single day before I check the mailbox. From the latest whispers I've heard the letters are due to be sent out THIS WEEK (spring break week). :scared:

Last year my rejection letter was dated March 14, so if the letters are sent out this week it would be a little earlier than last year.

On my VMCAS application I listed separate permanent (parents) and current addresses. Last year all of the schools sent mail directly to me at my current address, EXCEPT NC State, who sent it to my parents address (nothing like having your Dad read your third and final rejection letter over the phone to you!!)

Goodluck to everyone! :luck:

I got my rejection letter by mail a few weeks ago. It is my first time applying so I'm not very surprised, although a little disappointed. Alonepear, I noticed you said you were rejected last year. What did you do in the past year to improve your application and your chances? I've scheduled an admission feedback session, are these very helpful? Thanks for any help!

PS...I'm an in state applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my rejection letter by mail a few weeks ago. It is my first time applying so I'm not very surprised, although a little disappointed. Alonepear, I noticed you said you were rejected last year. What did you do in the past year to improve your application and your chances? I've scheduled an admission feedback session, are these very helpful? Thanks for any help!

PS...I'm an in state applicant.

I found the admission feedback pretty helpful, the admissions guy let me know how to tweak my application a little bit the following year (moving some items I listed as volunteer or employment over to the veterinary experience section), also I hadn't been very extensive in listing awards and honors, particularly from high school, which he said I should do. He also emphasized that my GPA was the most deficient part of my application, and that he strongly recommended that I go back to undergrad and earn another degree in order to pull up my grades (I did NOT do this!) I chose to take a few extra courses, one of them graduate-level, and do well in those. Also I gained more volunteer experience. I had previously only worked at a small-animal clinic, so I began working with avian & exotic animals to vary my experience. I worked extremely hard on researching and putting together a great personal statement. And lastly, he told me that while my letters of rec last year were all positive, none of them were blow-them-out-of-the-water outstanding, and they all particularly lacked specific examples of personal attributes in action. This year I asked all of my recommendees if they would mind listing a few of my characteristics they thought would help me in vet school and as a vet, and give any examples that they could to support that.

The admissions guy walked me through each step of the decision process, and how many applications made it through each round, and at what point my application was rejected.

I really feel like showing determination, and making changes and sacrafices to show I was willing to get varied experience and make up deficiencies really made the difference for me. And better letters of rec.

Last year I didn't have any interview invitations, and was declined in-state as well. This year I've had 2 interview invitations, 2 out-of-state acceptances, and my fingers are quadruple crossed waiting for NCSU.

Alonepear, Thank you for such a quick response! When you said GPA deficiency, how deficient? Also, what do you mean they recommended you go back to get another degree? I'm just finishing a long 4 years, could they really expect another?

Alonepear, Thank you for such a quick response! When you said GPA deficiency, how deficient? Also, what do you mean they recommended you go back to get another degree? I'm just finishing a long 4 years, could they really expect another?

Last year, I was already 2 years post-undergrad, and had just decided to veterinary medicine a few months prior. My overall GPA was 3.12, and my science/required courses GPA was somewhere around 3.2. My only saving grace was my last 45 hours, which was like 3.4. He was very adamant that most vet schools would not even consider my application with such a low GPA, and because just taking 2 or 3 extra courses won't affect your GPA all that much, my best bet in his mind was to take a whole slew more classes to really balance out my bad grades. He even told me he recommended against my applying again this year ( :laugh: ) !

But this is why I don't have a lot of confidence in getting into NCSU. The two other schools I've been admitted to had interviews, and I think that really helped round me out as a fairly intelligent person, low GPA or not.

Did you have an individual meeting? I found out today the meetings are a kind of group setting and they don't have enough staff members for one on one evaluations. They were still able to be as specific with you in a group meeting?

Mine was one-on-one with someone who was involved in the admissions process. Group setting sounds kinda lame, like they'll be more general and go over what they were looking for, rather than individual points on each person's application. Hopefully you'll get some good feedback though!

I'm under the impression from one admissions guy I spoke to a few weeks ago that this year is the first year that they will not offer individual application counseling on rejected applicants, no matter what. It does sound pretty lame to me too... They are supposed to have everyone in on the same day and talk to them in a group and go over each section of the application, what they were looking for, examples of why people didn't get in, the requirements (which are easily accessible on your own...), etc. So I'm not sure what exactly they hope to accomplish by telling everyone in a group? :thumbdown: Hope that helps some.

Sounds alot the admissions info session all over again :thumbdown: Did you get the impression we might be able to schedule an individual appt. at a later date (summer, fall, ever??) or does no mean NO? This is my first year applying, and if I don't get in, I was really counting on some individualized suggestions for where to go next/what to do over the next year.

Still, hope springs eternal..and so does the anxiety =) OceanAngel, you're definitely not alone! I was handling the waiting okay before, but now it's driving me to distraction! And I (brillantly) indicated my parents' address only, b/c I wasn't sure if mine was reliable, so I will be getting the news over the phone either way eeeek..

I'm pretty sure it means absolutely no individual counseling, but maybe somebody can cut you a break if you were to need it. I'm definitely about to go crazy too!:eek: The only thing keeping me sane is my impending interview to UT Knoxville:oops:

I'm on the verge of crazy so I thought I would ask you perspective NC Staters some questions:

Is this school your number one choice?
In what area are you thinking of focusing?
Have any of you worked with anyone at the vet school?
What do you think of the facilities?

Anything else you want to add to get our minds from rolling over what the mailman is or is not doing right now.

last year I know people heard around Mar 13...which is right around the corner! Good luck all!

I'm on the verge of crazy so I thought I would ask you perspective NC Staters some questions:

Is this school your number one choice?
In what area are you thinking of focusing?
Have any of you worked with anyone at the vet school?
What do you think of the facilities?

Anything else you want to add to get our minds from rolling over what the mailman is or is not doing right now.

Yep this school is my number one choice, most importantly because of in-state tuition and I already live in Raleigh. Although now that I've visited two other schools, I will only be a little disappointed if I'm rejected, because I'm pretty excited about trying a new city and new school out.

Small animal or exotics.

Nope, although I've worked for quite a few doctors who graduated from there. Also I applied for a few tech jobs there last summer and met quite a few people from numerous departments of the hospital, they all seemed really nice.

I think the facilities are pretty nice, some of the stuff seems quite cutting-edge, but I don't know much about it really.

Wolfpacktwirler reminded me that although they were aiming to send out letters during spring break, that would be this coming week and not this past week (which was the undergrad spring break). I got all bent out of shape checking the mail each day for no reason !

Letter came today, to my "permanent" address listed on my VMCAS application (aka parents house).

rejection, second year in a row :mad:

Mississippi here I come! :love:

I got my rejection as well today. UPenn here I come.

Good luck to everyone.

My heart goes out to both of you. I don't get this whole process, it can be so frustrating. If you are both in Raleigh, how the heck do you get into out of state schools but not your in state school? sheesh!

Yeah, I'm always shocked when people don't get into their state schools and into other programs, especially other extremely competitive programs. Who knows, at least you both got into great programs! Congrats.

Letter came today, to my "permanent" address listed on my VMCAS application (aka parents house).

rejection, second year in a row :mad:

Mississippi here I come! :love:

Pear, just make NCSU jealous that they didn't take you. ;)
[cue music]
Later on, alonepear will go on to publish many papers and articles, or books, and will be highly regarded in the profession... and you, alonepear, will turn your head in NCSU's direction, from Mississippi, and, giving a dramatic sniff, you will remark, "You could've had me!"

Congratulations! :D You made it, and that's what counts.

Pear, just make NCSU jealous that they didn't take you. ;)
[cue music]
Later on, alonepear will go on to publish many papers and articles, or books, and will be highly regarded in the profession... and you, alonepear, will turn your head in NCSU's direction, from Mississippi, and, giving a dramatic sniff, you will remark, "You could've had me!"

haha i love it!

Haha, that reminds me of a thread in pre-allo the other day. They were talking about saving rejection letters. There was a story about the head of the medical department at a prestigious college that had his rejection letter framed from the school framed in his office.

You guys rock, it's like my own personal therapy support group :)

I decided I'd only be disappointed about NCSU for 5 minutes (the wallowing lasted more like a day), but now I'm ready to chalk it up to another life learning experience and have a great four years in a new state.

Yay for having a cute little desk in MS I can personlize :D (dork, I know)

Haha, that reminds me of a thread in pre-allo the other day. They were talking about saving rejection letters. There was a story about the head of the medical department at a prestigious college that had his rejection letter framed from the school framed in his office.

HA! Cornell didn't even think I was worthy of a hard-copy rejection letter, just a stinkin' PDF. How much does it cost to send someone a real letter, especially when everyone has to pay a supplemental fee? When I received it I felt like printing out hundreds of copies to use to pick up my dog's poo! Now I don't even care..

Anyway, Alonepear, MS is awesome. I thought the personalized lab desks were a nice touch too. If I ever get off the waitlist, maybe I'll see you there :) We are all gonna be awesome vets no matter where we go.

I heard from the admissions guy that all resident decision letters were mailed on March 12 to perm addresses.

HA! Cornell didn't even think I was worthy of a hard-copy rejection letter, just a stinkin' PDF. How much does it cost to send someone a real letter, especially when everyone has to pay a supplemental fee? When I received it I felt like printing out hundreds of copies to use to pick up my dog's poo! Now I don't even care..

Last year, not only was it just a PDF, but it was January 13...

Friday the 13th! +pity+

I heard from the admissions guy that all resident decision letters were mailed on March 12 to perm addresses.

Does anyone know if this included wait-list letters? I think they were sent out separately last year. Has anyone heard of anyone getting on the wait-list? As you can tell I have yet to hear anything and I am getting ansy. Thanks!

I heard from a girl at work who was put on the waitlist a couple years ago that she just started calling about a week after she heard that other people were getting their letters, and they told her she was on the waitlist. From that point on, she just kept calling every week to find out when and if she moved up (she was #2 on the list).

Hi guys,

I found this forum a few days ago while going insane waiting for my letter. I googled something like "ncsu admission decision date" and this is what I got. Thanks to you guys, I knew when to expect it (I got my acceptance letter yesterday!).

Congrats to everybody who got in somewhere and I look forward to meeting anyone going to NCSU. Anybody in the area in need of a assistant/tech job, my position has become available. Seriously, the doctor is freaking about replacing me with someone halfway competent. He is really awesome and a CVM alum. His reference letter probably made the difference in my app because people at state know who he is. He will also tell you if you've got what it takes to make it in. So, if you didn't get in and want to reapply, this job could really make the difference. Call the hospital at 919-303-1611 (West Cary Animal Hospital).

Does anyone know if this included wait-list letters? I think they were sent out separately last year. Has anyone heard of anyone getting on the wait-list? As you can tell I have yet to hear anything and I am getting ansy. Thanks!

According to the admissions guy, all letters (admit, waitlist, and deny) were mailed on March 12 for NC resident applicants. "Not Qualified for Review" e-mails were sent in January.

Nonresident applicants received decision letters in January (admit and waitlist) and February (deny).

has everyone heard from ncsu by now or are people still waiting to hear?

has everyone heard from ncsu by now or are people still waiting to hear?

I haven't gotten anything, but I know it's on its way! Everything was definitely sent out on Monday.

edit* I just found out my letter was returned to NC State due to insufficient address, except they had the right address on there. This is killin me!

YAY!!!!!!! I got in!!! Though I still haven't received the letter, but I did get an email. The letter should be here soon. I can't believe I am actually going to be a vet!!!:love:

OceanAngel are you going to the open house tour and dinner on friday and the stuff on saturday the 31? If so, see you there!:)