New Medical School

Started by CarrieBad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I couldn't wait any longer (I've been waitlisted since December) so I called up yesterday and spoke to Kelly Hopa. She basically said the same thing - that she's confident the waitlist will start moving on/after May 15th. I also asked whether or not we were ranked (and if we could find our positions out), but she had no information about where we are on the waitlist. Here's to waiting until May 15th!
 
I couldn't wait any longer (I've been waitlisted since December) so I called up yesterday and spoke to Kelly Hopa. She basically said the same thing - that she's confident the waitlist will start moving on/after May 15th. I also asked whether or not we were ranked (and if we could find our positions out), but she had no information about where we are on the waitlist. Here's to waiting until May 15th!

This kind of anxious intensity is exactly why I read SDN. Nicely done!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure if the medical school, as well as others, could speed things up they would because it would make their jobs easier. Unfortunately, generally people who hold multiple acceptances will max out and commit to only one school starting May 16.
 
Thank you for checking! This info is very helpful. Soo much more fun (and to the point) than checking Facebook.
 
Heyo everyone,

I was wondering if us waitlisted have any financial aid form we should be filling out in case we're accepted. I am waitlisted at multiple schools and one had forms to fill out that were due a while ago. Has anyone heard anything from TCMC about this? I just don't want to be behind in anything. Thanks.

Good Luck to all on May 15th~!!!:xf:
 
I was reviewing the financial aid info on TCMC's website and they want you to file a FAFSA by March 1. It is now 4/28, and people are still waiting to hear from places, including TCMC. If you didn't file the FAFSA, would that set you back? It's a tough dilemma. I recommend, then, getting on that if you haven't already. They also have their own financial aid paperwork on their website. I would check that out as well. They also want your parent's info, even though you are considered an independent.
 
Heyo everyone,

I was wondering if us waitlisted have any financial aid form we should be filling out in case we're accepted. I am waitlisted at multiple schools and one had forms to fill out that were due a while ago. Has anyone heard anything from TCMC about this? I just don't want to be behind in anything. Thanks.

Good Luck to all on May 15th~!!!:xf:
i did the fafsa, but they don't have a school code yet...
 
I also filed my FAFSA, but was not able to select TCMC just yet- at the interviews they said they are still in the process of obtaining a code. However, I think the FAFSA must be on file to apply for the private loans that are available to cover the tuition- most banks require it to issue student loans since your financial background determines interest rate, etc.
 
hey folks. just my 2 cents on tcmc's financial aid process:

1. don't worry if you cannot find the fafsa school code for tcmc. they do not have one yet. what they want from students is the "student aid report or sar" generated from filling out the fafsa. at the point the school requests a copy of the sar, one can either email it or print it out and mail it.

2. do not worry about the march 1 fafsa deadline. if you haven't done so yet, just go ahead and fill out the fafsa form online. since tcmc does not have a school code, just put another school's fafsa code that you either have also applied to or wouldn't mind seeing your fafsa-generated sar. then just email or air mail the sar when it is requested.

3. tcmc encourages (not requires) students to fill out the parental portion of the fafsa so that they maybe considered for additional need based aid should additional funding be available raised by the medical school.

4. the short tcmc financial aid supplemental application form, together with the fafsa student aid report, is used by the financial aid office to help determine if a student is eligible for additional need based aid (again, pending additional available funds).

5. private loans/alternative loans are the primary means to help finance at least the 2009-10 school year. in case anyone was wondering, private loan applications are not affected by the march 1 deadline. for those on the wait list, do not worry about private loan applications because the financial aid office suggested not applying until towards the end of may because the credit report pulled (which is used to qualify the applicant) is only good for about 90 days. in other words, if one applied for a private loan too early, he/she will most likely have to reapply because the credit score would have to be redetermined by the bank/lender. perhaps it's worth repeating that what's important to apply for private loans is a credit worthy applicant (fafsa is not used to apply for a private loan). one can also get a credit worthy co-signer to help the student not just secure a private loan, but to get the best possible interest rate.

hope all this helps. best of luck to everyone--the month of may is just around the corner!
 
Last edited:
I hope that all of you on the waitlist who are trying to get in do get in, but in the meantime, with graduations coming up and you all being let out into the world, what plans do you have if you don't get in?

My son was accepted into TCMC's MBS program and is very excited. I think this is an excellent way to continue to grow as a student and be seen as a serious medical school or medical research candidate.

In talking with his professor's, who are all amazing and intelligent people, they have stated that the path my son is taking happens to a lot of students out there, and that medical schools are seeming to look for more growth and maturity, as well as general overall education.

If some of you don't get into any medical school, please don't let this discourage you. Don't hesitate to apply to other graduate programs to continue to grow as students and people!
 
Way, way back (December) I got an email from the admissions folks which informed me of their decision: waitlisted. I replied, thanking them for the interview and received a reply regarding stating that waitlist decisions would be made"after May 15th" (emphasis mine).

I'm pretty sure all of us waitlistees would love to receive some good news on Friday but I'd recommend against flipping out if there isn't any news until the following Monday. Now go outside and enjoy the Spring. Those who are lucky enough to be accepted will have a ton of work in a few short months and those who will be reapplying could use a brief interlude between application cycles.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i agree with tyrkinase. i also kinda mentioned this a couple pages back, that starting may 16 and thereafter, the waitlist will be moving (keep in mind folks that the amcas guidelines state that people who hold multiple med school acceptances should drop all but one school by may 15). this is not to scare anyone, but of course, we all have heard of stories from others before us of receiving acceptances off the waitlist in june or july. i am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone on the waitlist to hear news asap :xf: go out and enjoy the days, especially the upcoming memorial day holiday!
 
Just withdrew, hopefully someone can take my spot! Really good school, but my heart lay elsewhere, good luck all.
 
I really really hope this happens for all of us. We have blogged on here to the point where I feel like I know all of you!
 
Is anyone heading to Scranton this summer to work as a TCMC summer research intern? I'm moving up at the end of the month to work in a lab and I'm curious as to whether anyone else will be there because as of right now, I know five people in Scranton: my PI and four people from the admissions process.
 
We drove out to Scranton today to check out the area and amenities. We found the buildings in Scranton were beautiful, the mall was nice, and the school is a neat building. At the same time, I didn't see even a small grocery store in close proximity, any laundromat, or any nice cafe's nearby. We walked about a large radius, and drove a little bit around the area. It's not say those things aren't there, but considering some of you may decide to not bring a vehicle, this could be tough. There are a lot of senior high rises. These are most likely the people you would be helping out a lot. According to my son, this is an ever-rising older-age based community. We looked around for rentals, not too much. We talked to a realtor as well, and they do have lists of rentals. We went to Dunmore and found a really great rental. 3 bedroom townhome, $900/month in a community with plowing and mowing taken care of. They charge $35 per car to be parked there, and the units have a small patio in the back. The community was quiet and very private. Dunmore is about 7 minutes to the campus, and has all the amenities nearby. It is close to Moses Taylor and Mercy Hospital. If you are looking for roomies, have good credit, and/or a worthy co-signer, contact me through the personal message system and we will set something up. We will be going back up there to tour the place, as the office was not open. It looks like a great option - $300/month per person, you'd have to split water, sewer, cable; bring your cell phone and no one has to argue over the phone. And if you need a ride/don't have a car you can probably hop on with my son and maybe split the parking permit and gas. Even during the winter, this place is close to the main highway and the state police barracks - so the roads will be plowed!
 
Hey!

I've lived in Scranton the past four years and attend one of the local universities. Some housing advice: Dunmore has nicer, quieter places than downtown Scranton. Areas to look in are Dunmore, North Scranton, or in the areas surrounding Green Ridge Street. As you get closer to the downtown area, apartments may get cheaper but they also get less clean and more sketchy. Dunmore is about 5 minutes from the school and has reasonable rent with great community. There aren't many complexes-one place is "the Mills"-but they are rather expensive and you can find private homes for rent for much less.

There are plenty of grocery stores and several laundromats around (many apartments come w/ washer/dryer or hookups)-yes, you may have to drive to them from your apartment, but there are some small stores within walking distance of downtown. There is also a pretty good bus system if you don't have a car.

If you're really having trouble finding a place, drive by the local Universities (Marywood University or the University of Scranton) and see whats opening up around them. Marywood has a lot of great rentals nearby and is in Dunmore's quiet, family-based neighborhood.

Scranton has a lot to offer, you just have to look closely to find some of it. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! Best of luck to everyone!
 
I called up on May 15th and asked, but the secretary said that she had no idea when the waitlist would start to move. Balls!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's hope for some good news today! I'm getting just a bit tired of waiting for some waitlist movement to begin.
 
I spoke with the community under construction on North Washington Ave near TCMC. They are not scheduled to open until October, and the rents are not set yet. They will have a secure lobby, a parking garage (that is currently under construction as well), washer and dryer in apartment, hardwood floors in some areas, carpet in others. They were hoping to be done in time for the students at TCMC. We are hoping to go with a 2 BR apartment in Dunmore. We had walked the community, as the office wasn't open that day. I spoke with the leasing agent, and she recommends college students look more at the 2 BR units, as they won't deny (but frown upon) 3 college students together, as they don't consider themselves dorms. If you have difficult credit, they will allow parent cosigners, but parents must also apply and qualify. Let us know if you are interested. It will be $375/month for these apartments.
 
Hey, good luck to everyone waiting to hear back. I know how much that sucks. I've been lurking...hope to see you in Scranton come August.
 
They are having the MBS Open House today, which my son is currently attending. Many of the same professors teach those courses, and/or courses overlap with the MD program. Most likely, a lot of the activities are focused on that today. Hang in there!

Also, again, my son is out there today to put a deposit on a 2 BR apartment. We are working with someone, but if anyone also wants to put their name out there, let us know, and we'll keep you all in mind if this person finds other living arrangements, or is not a compatible roommate personality-wise with my son. Rent would be $375/month plus utilities.

Good luck again with acceptances/waitlist stuff.
 
Anyone else working on finals right about now? I have a huge exam on Friday and it would be really, really nice to see an acceptance email in my inbox sometime between now and five minutes before that exam.

On a more serious note, what plans do my fellow waitlistees have if an acceptance does not arrive? More school? Work? Learning incantations to secure the favor of TCMC administrators for a 2010 admission?

My plan: Masters degree in something awesome and a second go-around on the ol' AMCAS.
 
Anyone else working on finals right about now? I have a huge exam on Friday and it would be really, really nice to see an acceptance email in my inbox sometime between now and five minutes before that exam.

On a more serious note, what plans do my fellow waitlistees have if an acceptance does not arrive? More school? Work? Learning incantations to secure the favor of TCMC administrators for a 2010 admission?

My plan: Masters degree in something awesome and a second go-around on the ol' AMCAS.

For those of you interested in more school, I just finished up a masters degree in Medical Sciences at Loyola University Chicago. Originally, my main motivation for the program was just to keep my mind active for that year, but the support from the program is absolutely phenomenal. You will never meet a program director more enthusiastic or more supportive than this one. There are workshops throughout the year to aid in the application process and the whole atmosphere is one of collaboration and working together as opposed to the go-it-alone competitive atmosphere that was standard in my undergrad pre-med classes. I definitely recommend this program, especially to people who may have decided on medicine late in the game and didn't major in biology. I was a music major who loved microbiology, so the classes like neuroscience and medical ethics were completely new to me and certainly helped to strengthen my academic base.

http://www.luc.edu/biology/ma.shtml
 
I have a master's in biology from NYU and don't think a second masters will help me get into med school as much as re-taking the MCAT would- which I am obv crossing my fingers it would not come down to. My Extracirriculars I think were the strong part of my application (I do research at sloan kettering and am first author on a couple of projects, done volunteer work, tutoring, etc). However, I am hoping this all works out and I get to meet you all in person in Scranton come late summer/autumn 🙂 I got into St. George's Global Scholars program (england/grenada for the first two years, then back to nyc) but this school was my first choice; i got a much warmer fuzzier feeling from TCMC and they seem so committed to improving the health of the region's residents and training competent doctors. Not that SGU is a bad school, I'm just saying...

Tyr Kinase I hope you get to hear good news soon too- I cannot even imagine how stressful it must be dealing with all of this in the middle of finals! I tried calling them earlier this week but also got no answer. They must be busy trying to set up for open houses and get things underway for the 2010 application cycle...
 
You would think that a school with no students would work a little faster with this waitlist business! ...oh well.

I'm currently holding an acceptance to a DO school (UMDNJ-SOM) that I'd be happy to attend come August, but TCMC is still my top choice for a multitude of reasons. We should definitely have some sort of waitlisters party in August once we all get in!
 
I called and Kelley said that there has been some small movement on the waitlist. We're ranked but she doesn't know where anybody is since the admission committee won't tell her.

My take from this is that not many people withdrew their placement and the class is almost full, except maybe for a few spots. It's best for us all to prepare for another application cycle if we (like myself) haven't been accepted elsewhere.

It's sad. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is sort of discouraging. Ick. Well I guess all we can do is stay positive? Did she say they expected any more movement?

I called and Kelley said that there has been some small movement on the waitlist. We're ranked but she doesn't know where anybody is since the admission committee won't tell her.

My take from this is that not many people withdrew their placement and the class is almost full, except maybe for a few spots. It's best for us all to prepare for another application cycle if we (like myself) haven't been accepted elsewhere.

It's sad. 🙁
 
That is sort of discouraging. Ick. Well I guess all we can do is stay positive? Did she say they expected any more movement?

Hi everyone,

I got off of the waitlst earlier this week. Unfortunately I had just submitted my deposit for another school that I was accepted to off of the waitlist a couple days before. (Hence, the reason that I had not withdrawn my waitlist spot) It was a really tough decision to turn down this offer, but after weighing my options, the other school had a few more pros for me. TCMC is a great school and I hope that some of you will hear some good news soon!
 
congrats. good to know there is a little movement. I honestly have no clue what i would do if i got into tcmc or either of my other waitlist schools. is it weird that i kind of hope i DON'T get in?
 
congrats. good to know there is a little movement. I honestly have no clue what i would do if i got into tcmc or either of my other waitlist schools. is it weird that i kind of hope i DON'T get in?

I have a really cool thing for next year if I don't get in. So part of me is hoping that I don't get in so I can do that. However, in the end, I'd much prefer to start school this August. Commonwealth has an intimate personal setting that I like and their scholarship is a big bonus.
 
I have a really cool thing for next year if I don't get in. So part of me is hoping that I don't get in so I can do that. However, in the end, I'd much prefer to start school this August. Commonwealth has an intimate personal setting that I like and their scholarship is a big bonus.
oh cool, what are you doing? Yeah, I LOVED the school... it would be so hard to turn down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.