New Medical School

Started by CarrieBad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are the same people listed on your invitation. I found this particularly helpful, because my interviewers didn't really tell me anything about their backgrounds. I felt more comfortable having had a chance ahead of time to look into their fields. One was a family practice MD and the other was a PhD who's done work with fruit flies. But the interview experience was pretty exciting. I've only been to two other schools, but I would definitely pick TCMC if given the choice.
 
I got an acceptance today! Hooray!! I am so excited I don't even know what to write. This is phenomenal. It's all been worth it.
 
I got an acceptance today! Hooray!! I am so excited I don't even know what to write. This is phenomenal. It's all been worth it.

Congratulations! 👍👍

I interviewed 1/16 so maybe this time next week?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EpiMan, thats so cool! I think i have the exact two people!

Any info about how the interview went, were they challenging?
 
Thanks guys. As for how challenging the interview was, it was very low key. It was pretty conversational and mostly about my past and how I decided to go into medicine, what I perceived as big challenges, that sort of thing. Overall it was pretty mellow. The tour was good, got me really excited about going there. Strangely, although I thought the part about the future library would be really dull, it was pretty interesting. Anyway, know what's in your application, but don't stress. They're really nice.
 
Thanks guys. As for how challenging the interview was, it was very low key. It was pretty conversational and mostly about my past and how I decided to go into medicine, what I perceived as big challenges, that sort of thing. Overall it was pretty mellow. The tour was good, got me really excited about going there. Strangely, although I thought the part about the future library would be really dull, it was pretty interesting. Anyway, know what's in your application, but don't stress. They're really nice.

They're definitely very nice! We got to play Operation
 
Hey, I have an interview at TCMC on 1/30 and I am super nervous... I've only have one other interview and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or could tell me what kinds of questions they typically ask? thanks!
 
Hey, I have an interview at TCMC on 1/30 and I am super nervous... I've only have one other interview and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or could tell me what kinds of questions they typically ask? thanks!

I went recently, and it was the most relaxed interview I've had. There was no mention of academics, it seemed like they genuinely wanted to get to know me. 👍
 
Hey, I have an interview at TCMC on 1/30 and I am super nervous... I've only have one other interview and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or could tell me what kinds of questions they typically ask? thanks!
i'm interviewing there 1/30 too! which session are you?
 
Does anyone know if the decisions are always given out on Wednesdays?
 
it looks like they have been sending decisions either Tues or Wed.... I'm waiting pretty anxiously!
 
For those who have got an acceptance to these new medical schools, what are your stats like? I just want to get a relative idea of what their average matriculates are like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an interview invite last Friday and will be heading over from Western PA for the afternoon session on February 4, anyone else?
 
im in the morning session... 8 am :/

also, for people who have already interviewed, is there a place to put luggage?
 
Last edited:
I'm sure you'll be able to leave your luggage up front when you check your coat. The staff at TCMC is so nice; they'll definitely help you out with that. Best of luck on the interview.
 
I just had my interview on Wednesday morning. I absolutely loved what the staff and faculty had to say. I have gone through their website many times before, but to hear the material from them in person was good. One of the questions I had was how the plan of following a family would work and that was answered during the presentations and during my interview. Everyone there seemed really passionate about the new school. On the tour, I got an idea of the types of things that will be available in terms of sim people, the gross lab, the library... The charter class would not really get to use the new building, but that's not really a big deal since everything else is the same, just in a different place.
The interview was a conversational one. It was 2-on-1 interview. There were no off-the-wall questions or any science questions. There was the obvious question of why medicine and some personal questions such an overview of my research, questions about the post-bac program I am in now, clarify an irregularity in my mcat scores... but nothing that made me sweat. That was pretty much the consensus from the rest of the people that were there during my morning session.
Overall, I am really excited about this school! I can't wait to hear back from them.:xf:
 
This is my first time posting on SDN, but I had my interview on Friday. I was thoroughly impressed with TCMC. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. They really made you want to be a part of the charter class. I too, have been reading their web site but hearing the layout of the curriculum made me want to be a part of the student body.

I hope I am accepted because I really loved the school!

Now the waiting begins... 😕
 
This is my first time posting on SDN, but I had my interview on Friday. I was thoroughly impressed with TCMC. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. They really made you want to be a part of the charter class. I too, have been reading their web site but hearing the layout of the curriculum made me want to be a part of the student body.

I hope I am accepted because I really loved the school!

Now the waiting begins... 😕
i interviewed friday also, in the morning... this school is definitely at the top of my list now... they were so nice! the food was the best i've had, also.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i interviewed friday also, in the morning... this school is definitely at the top of my list now... they were so nice! the food was the best i've had, also.


I interviewed in the afternoon. The food was great! Turkey and cranberry mayo sauce thing - yum.

It's definitely jumped to the top of mine!
 
I interviewed on Friday afternoon as well! Overall I was very impressed with the school and faculty, and I will echo the statement that it has jumped in priority on my list. Hopefully we will hear back soon!!!!
 
waitlisted today.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? I've read conflicting reports.
 
waitlisted today.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? I've read conflicting reports.


We have been very impressed with the students we have met and their passion for what we are doing. We are in the position of having more students that we would like to come here than we have slots. As we have no history of how many people admitted will choose to come here we are being conservative with our acceptances and keeping an active, ranked, wait list that we will use to fill the class with students who best fit TCMC. Since students have until May to let us know if they are coming, we expect to begin to draw from the waitlist as soon as spaces in the class are available.
 
Waitlisted. I'm so heartbroken. I love this school and would have gone in a heartbeat. Hopefully, a few accepted people out there will see this school as their backup and give their spots to me. 🙂
 
Waitlisted. I'm so heartbroken. I love this school and would have gone in a heartbeat. Hopefully, a few accepted people out there will see this school as their backup and give their spots to me. 🙂


When did you interview?

I guess there is some good news in that they are being conservative with their admissions and that definitely gives us hope that they will be moving the wait list. Don't fret yet!!

I also am glad that so many people are interested because they really do have a good thing going for them 🙂
 
Last edited:
We have been very impressed with the students we have met and their passion for what we are doing. We are in the position of having more students that we would like to come here than we have slots. As we have no history of how many people admitted will choose to come here we are being conservative with our acceptances and keeping an active, ranked, wait list that we will use to fill the class with students who best fit TCMC. Since students have until May to let us know if they are coming, we expect to begin to draw from the waitlist as soon as spaces in the class are available.

Thanks for clearing this up! 👍
 
When did you interview?

I guess there is some good news in that they are being conservative with their admissions and that definitely gives us hope that they will be moving the wait list. Don't fret yet!!

I also am glad that so many people are interested because they really do have a good thing going for them 🙂

I hope you're right. All I have now is hope. 🙂 And I interviewed 1/16.
 
Just withdrew from the waitlist ... Maybe this will help some people out (I guess it depends where I was on the waitlist.. haha)
 
Last edited:
hey peeps. happy new year to all! new guy here (first posting ever). congrats to all who have been accepted to tcmc and to those who have already decided to be a part of the charter class.

i've been hearing anecdotes of people having a slight "turned off" feeling when they realize that for those who need to borrow, the first 2 years will have to be financed through private loans since tcmc is not yet approved for title 4 government stafford student loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized). to those waitlisted who really want to attend tcmc, hopefully this will result in lots of movement on the list beginnning may 16, 2009. i'm rooting for you guys to be accepted there or elsewhere so best of luck.

i'm oos (from ca), non-traditional. interviewed at tcmc 2nd week of dec. 08', got acceptance following week . cancelled other interview invite/acceptance as i've made the decision to want to be a part of history being a charter class member (i'm sort of a maverick w/ an entrepreneurial spirit).

financial aid isn't gonna be an issue for me since i'm looking into the military scholarship (health professions scholarship program or hpsp to those unfamiliar).

feel free to ask me about interviewing experience at tcmc or other places, financial aid stuff, military scholarships (i've been reading and talking to the right people for almost a year now and feel i have a good grasp on this topic), or any other issues.

to those who've already decided to be a part of the charter class, i can't wait to meet each and everyone of you!
 
hey peeps. happy new year to all! new guy here (first posting ever). congrats to all who have been accepted to tcmc and to those who have already decided to be a part of the charter class.

i've been hearing anecdotes of people having a slight "turned off" feeling when they realize that for those who need to borrow, the first 2 years will have to be financed through private loans since tcmc is not yet approved for title 4 government stafford student loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized). to those waitlisted who really want to attend tcmc, hopefully this will result in lots of movement on the list beginnning may 16, 2009. i'm rooting for you guys to be accepted there or elsewhere so best of luck.

i'm oos (from ca), non-traditional. interviewed at tcmc 2nd week of dec. 08', got acceptance following week . cancelled other interview invite/acceptance as i've made the decision to want to be a part of history being a charter class member (i'm sort of a maverick w/ an entrepreneurial spirit).

financial aid isn't gonna be an issue for me since i'm looking into the military scholarship (health professions scholarship program or hpsp to those unfamiliar).

feel free to ask me about interviewing experience at tcmc or other places, financial aid stuff, military scholarships (i've been reading and talking to the right people for almost a year now and feel i have a good grasp on this topic), or any other issues.

to those who've already decided to be a part of the charter class, i can't wait to meet each and everyone of you!

Congrats on the acceptance! I also have been researching HPSP for a while and still am considering TCMC, but I still would like to know exactly the amount of aid I will need and what the loan interest rates look like before I make a decision. Would they still give the scholarship to you if you attended TCMC even though it isn't fully accredited? The other schools I am considering would be much more expensive than TCMC, so the scholarship would pay for itself. But if the interest rates are not absurdly high (<11%), and being that Scranton has low cost of living, you may be better off taking the loans out and paying them off without the scholarship.
 
thanks freubr! for hpsp, it's a go with the army, no-go with air force, and ? with navy since i didn't verify with them. from what i've read, private loans run between 6-14% and as you may already know, start accruing interest while in school. according to tcmc financial aid, after one subtracts the 20k charter class scholarship, there's still either 40k or 45k (for oos) that's needed. if one's good with handling their finances, they may just need to borrow about 30k/yr. of course should one receive additional grants/scholarships from the school and outside agencies, then the loans become more manageable especially at the point when tcmc qualifies for government loan programs.

in my situation, there is a calling to public service in addition to becoming a physician, so the opportunity to have med schl paid for is a welcome bonus. as it's been said countless times in different sdn threads with regards to military scholarships, don't take it just for the money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really I don't think it's that concerning to have to get private loans. The actual tuition for all 4 years as an in state resident is only like 60K, which is less than what I've already accumulated in loans from undergrad. For med school, you can't find a better deal. Sure, interest will accumulate for 4 years, but that will be so negligable once you actually start practicing and paying them off. There will also be some need based scholarships available in addition to the 80k over 4 years one. The financial aid person is very helpful and will work with you to make sure that you find the money to pay for it.
 
without factoring interest, even the most expensive scenario of a loan principal amount of 165-180k (combo of private loans and government backed loans) resulting from borrowing 40-45k/year (after subtracting the 20k scholarship) may not be that bad of a situation. there will be places which will continue to offer attractive student loan payback options as part of their hiring incentives to recruit new docs, w/c is a huge perk esp. for primary care folks.
 
While the article is disturbing, it is not discouraging. As a parent who has enjoyed learning a lot from this forum, I feel comfortable that if my child gets an acceptance to this school that it would be a great decision. One of the first things I would do is look into donating to this school if they don't find the external funding. While we are not necessarily wealthy, it would be the right thing to do as Pennsylvania residents who would like to see doctors stay in this area, to see this school grow, and be a small part of something big that our child would also have a great part in. We are crossing our fingers this week - as our child had a 1/30/09 interview. Good luck to everybody, and don't be discouraged. TCMC poster, this may be a good time for you to step in and let the students know what they may be in for!
 
While we were surprised by the Governor’s decision to not include support for TCMC in his budget it is a situation being played out in almost every state aided/supported medical school in the country. With the national economy in trouble cutting higher education support looks in the short term like a good choice but long term is not in the best interest of any state. TCMC has multiple sources of funding—Blue Cross of NEPA, tuition, philanthropy, clinical practice income and federal dollars. We need to work hard at increasing philanthropy and are working to have at least some state dollars restored. PA legislators remain very supportive of the college and our mission and the Governor’s budget is the beginning of the dialog on state priorities--- not the end. As we make choices about how we spend our money our priority is, and will continue to be, providing the students with a high quality education. We will not make cuts in our educational mission. The regional support for this school is strong and students coming to TCMC will have an exceptional experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.