New York University - Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAPERCLIP_DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently accepted to NYU and excited, but saw the $151,000 base tuition price tag.. :eek::dead: .. not even factoring in living expenses.

For those of you choosing to attend NYU or wanting to attend as a top choice, is there any particular reason you are justifying or overlooking the price tag? Any opinions or perspectives would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I was accepted as well and planning on paying my deposit soon. Im not sure your history with NY/NYU but there are so many reasons I am going to accept. Personally, I am a city girl and I've always wanted to live in the city for a few years before I settled down. The amount of things to do there, diversity, nightlife, quietness, crazy unique food.. just a few of the things that NY offers. When I talked to the students that gave me the tour, I asked them if it was worth the crazy price and they said yes. Do your research and apply for any scholarship that can possible apply to you. Included in our tuition is global outreach where you pay for your flight and then you can travel to Trinidad or Tel Aviv and do some PT work over there. The affiliations NYU has is never ending. Opportunities will open at every door for you. Staff are so welcoming and want you to succeed and turn into family. Rigorous classes making you the best PT you can be. 4 clinical rotations, options to travel all across the world and they will help you to do so. Im also going to be finding somewhere to live and I know Im going to be paying off loans for a while, but money comes and goes, Im going for the experience and where I felt at home already. I felt the click as soon as I stepped into the interview. List out pros and cons for yourself and don't put the finances at first. List everything else and then worry about finances. You wanna go somewhere where you will have professors that care about you, a curriculum that will challenge you ,and an atmosphere that will inspire you. Good Luck and I hope to see that you will consider all that NYU offers besides the pricetag.

Reactions: 1 users
I am halfway through PT school now, and had a similar dilemma. I absolutely understand the poster who says NYU would be a great experience. However, to saddle yourself with 200,000plus loans is a concern. I ended up choosing a state school that is in the top ten PT schools, and not going to the name private school that would cost me twice as much. And Duke wasnt even as expensive as NYU! If money is no object, or you have help to afford it, then it would be great. But the reality is the connections you will make will not make the additional $100,000 in loans worthwhile IMHO. Most schools have rigorous classes, nationwide clinical options ( we have four as well) and a PT abroad trip. Instead, look at what is important to you in the curriculum. Cadaver lab? Free onsite PT clinic where you are placed from day 1? Interprofessional options with med students, dental students etc? Opportunities for research if you want? Type of curriculum...problem based learning, lectures, or a blend? Reputation of full time staff? Pass rate for the boards? Lots to think about for sure, and I certainly have worries about my loans. I also chose my school based on a location with a very low cost of living, so rents are extremely reasonable. Just a different opinion and things to consider. Congrats on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
A DPT degree is simply not worth $100,000+ in loans.

According to all the PTs I know who have graduated there, they loved it and it was a great experience. However my many friends who are current students there are not very satisfied. Besides it being expensive, they complain that the faculty don't always adhere to their needs like other programs do. It seems like the program got worse over the last few years. I love the idea of going to NYU but nothing about the facilities or the things i've heard really stood out to me. I was way more impressed by other NY schools.

Basically
pros- the name, the connections, great faculty, being in NYC, you get your SCS, alumni connections and networking events

cons- its not where most of NYU is so you don't get to really benefit from their facilities because they're far! small boring building with just a few rooms. they're going through a lot of changes over the last few years. expensive.

Reactions: 1 user