NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
still waiting on the countersignature, submitted everything (assumedly correctly) on August 11th. praying that good news will come to us all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have not. I’m a little worried that the issue with the forms affected my consideration, but hopefully it didn’t.
I didn't get anything back yet either but I doubt it. Because they did reach out for us to resubmit and in the email it said we have 3 days to do the forms again to speed up our award process

Reactions: 1 users
So, is that all the countersignatures? I don’t see any other maintenances scheduled? 😞
It’s so wrong they pick finalist like this to get us excited. There’s no reason for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is that all the countersignatures? I don’t see any other maintenances scheduled? 😞
It’s so wrong they pick finalist like this to get us excited. There’s no reason for that.
Hopefully there are more countersignatures to come... otherwise you're right, that's so sad that they would get our hopes up like that :/ hopefully they will keep giving them out until the end of September like they said! Trying to stay positive haha. Also, it seems like maybe they are doing things differently this year with everything being released earlier... maybe it is because they have to give out so many more awards due to the extra funding? Just trying to find something to stop my worrying haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully there are more countersignatures to come... otherwise you're right, that's so sad that they would get our hopes up like that :/ hopefully they will keep giving them out until the end of September like they said! Trying to stay positive haha. Also, it seems like maybe they are doing things differently this year with everything being released earlier... maybe it is because they have to give out so many more awards due to the extra funding? Just trying to find something to stop my worrying haha
Same, trying to be positive but I've had a lot of disappointment this week. We'll see what happens.

I called today to see if they are done with countersignatures and they said that they should be continuing to give them out until September 30th. She did make it seem like it is not that rare to be a finalist and not be selected for a scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
okay guys we have until September 30th until the final decisions are made so we have to keep our hopes up! we have a whole month of possibilities!

Reactions: 3 users
countersigned at 7AM 8/24/21 by Jamie King
Hey... just to clear things up, this is not a countersignature. A countersignature come from the Secretary of Department of Health and Human Services and youll get an email about it. Jamie King is through NHSC and doesn't mean you got the scholarship. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just called them and they told me Jamie King doesn't mean I got it :(

Hey... just to clear things up, this is not a countersignature. A countersignature come from the Secretary of Department of Health and Human Services and youll get an email about it. Jamie King is through NHSC and doesn't mean you got the scholarship. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just called them and they told me Jamie King doesn't mean I got it :(
When I called they told me Jamie king meant I got it

They definitely have to send out more. I feel like only a few people on sdn received countersignatures compared to previous years and this year they had more funding so the ratio is off, plus they awarded so many finalists maybe it just taking some time to get back to everyone.

• Care
I called today to see if they are done with countersignatures and they said that they should be continuing to give them out until September 30th. She did make it seem like it is not that rare to be a finalist and not be selected for a scholarship.
Wait, so it’s common to be a finalist and NOT get the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email at 4:05 about a new message on my account, opened the link and it said "congratulations on being awarded". Got my countersignature 8/24.

For anyone who has received it, the portal just changed from applicant to participant of the scholarship. Anyone know what we have to do next?

For anyone who has received it, the portal just changed from applicant to participant of the scholarship. Anyone know what we have to do next?
Not too sure, one of the messages says award documents are now available but I don't see where I can access them?

For all my fellow finalists, I got off the phone with a representative and she was very clear when she said "being a finalist does not guarantee an award."

She then referred me to the finalist email which says:
"Please be advised that acceptance of the award offer is not an indication that a contract was awarded."

Also the portal states:
"Your confirmation of interest is not a guarantee that you will be awarded a contract. We will review the information you submitted as part of your acceptance to ensure completeness and accuracy and will contact you about your application status."

Can't believe I glazed over these small details but hoping for the best.

For all my fellow finalists, I got off the phone with a representative and she was very clear when she said "being a finalist does not guarantee an award."

"Please be advised that acceptance of the award offer is not an indication that a contract was awarded."

Pretty disappointing news but hoping for the best.

I wish they wouldn’t even tell us we’re finalists if we aren’t actually getting the award. What a way to get our hopes up just to then crush it. It does seem like most people in the past who were finalists did receive the award so let’s hope there are more notifications coming for those of us still waiting!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users

Also the portal states:
"Your confirmation of interest is not a guarantee that you will be awarded a contract. We will review the information you submitted as part of your acceptance to ensure completeness and accuracy and will contact you about your application status."

I read those things on the original email too, but past recipients had made it seem like it‘s not very likely to be selected as a finalist and not get an award. There’s still more time guys - it’s not even September yet

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone confirm what a signature by Jamie King means?

I never got an email or notification and my status hasn’t changed but my i opened my contract and saw it was signed by Jamie King.

View attachment 342647

View attachment 342648
I'm in the same boat and now I'm super confused. I thought this was the countersignature but I called someone at NHSC just now to ask if this means we've been awarded the scholarship and he didn't seem to know and said all this meant was that we're still a "finalist" and that we're still awaiting an actual decision.

Also the portal states:

This is the same anxiety that people have every year and those representatives don’t actually know anything. They read off a script and just aren’t authorized to confirm anything. That phrasing is sprinkled in there to save them if something unusual happens and they can’t offer it to you. If you are a finalist, chances are 99%+ that you’ll get it.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I'm in the same boat and now I'm super confused. I thought this was the countersignature but I called someone at NHSC just now to ask if this means we've been awarded the scholarship and he didn't seem to know and said all this meant was that we're still a "finalist" and that we're still awaiting an actual decision.
A counter signature means you got it. That is a contract that is now signed by both parties. They just can’t tell you over the phone like that that you got it. They make you wait for the official announcement email.

This is the same anxiety that people have every year and those representatives don’t actually know anything. They read off a script and just aren’t authorized to confirm anything. That phrasing is sprinkled in there to save them if something unusual happens and they can’t offer it to you. If you are a finalist, chances are 99%+ that you’ll get it.
Damn that’s a relief

The counter signature is from Jamie King. If you received that you will get the scholarship. I called and they told me once you receive that within 30 days they will be sending a confirmation email with a portal change. I also can attest to this because I received only one counter signature and that was from Jamie king. A couple days later (today) I received the email and portal change. I’m guessing that those that received a counter signature the day after the first wave should receive the email confirmation tomorrow.

I am still waiting on a countersignature. Submitted my documents Aug 9th. I am a PA student and have noticed that in previous years, they've received their awards later, so I'm still hopeful! Any PAs on the thread?

I am still waiting on a countersignature. Submitted my documents Aug 9th. I am a PA student and have noticed that in previous years, they've received their awards later, so I'm still hopeful! Any PAs on the thread?
Same boat! I think you're right. The first awards tend to go to MD/DO/DDS from what I can tell. Still hopeful for sure, good luck!!

For those of you who have gotten countersigned, how many years did you apply for and in what discipline?

Hiii, I'm a PA student (stalked this thread bc I was anxious) and I got my countersignature on 8/24. I got access to the participant portal yesterday! a few other of my classmates received it as wellso they're definitely giving them to PAs early too. Wishing you all the best!

I got my signature from Jamie but no email … can’t access my portal either. Anyone else?

First wave finalist but had to resubmit W-4 on the 20th. no signature.. anyone else in this boat?

First wave finalist (1st year dental) and no documents to resubmit but still no signature either

PA student countersigned by King on the 25th and awarded at 9:00am today on the 27th. Good luck everyone!

Finalist: Aug 9th

Last edited:
Has someone called and asked if countersignatures are expected to be coming throughout this entire month? I know that we have until sep 30 but it seems like this year may be different than others.... maybe much more funding so longer time needed to distribute scholarships?

Has someone called and asked if countersignatures are expected to be coming throughout this entire month? I know that we have until sep 30 but it seems like this year may be different than others.... maybe much more funding so longer time needed to distribute scholarships?
On the PA forum someone called and learned that the only real reasons a finalist wouldn’t get a counter signature would be if something on their app changed (switched schools/probation) or they ran out of funds (which is unlikely). I wondered the same thing as you. More money means more finalists, so maybe they’re trying to do it in full waves. Might be getting groups all the way through the portal and then redoing that each week or so until sept 30. The last part is speculation though. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Do y’all know about how much money we’ll get in the stipend after taxes are taken out?

Do y’all know about how much money we’ll get in the stipend after taxes are taken out?
I'm a single student, without a job, dependents, etc. and after federal taxes I get $1,285. This doesn't include state taxes (mine was only a few hundred dollars), but you may even get a refund at the end of the year the first year if you did not work all year since your income will be so low. But like cooliyak said it really depends case to case!

Last edited:
What if they are reviewing and giving out countersignatures in order of who submitted their original app first? Not the additional documents for finalists, but like the full application from back in May. Personally, I submitted mine last minute on the due date 😬 Is there anyone who received a countersignature already that submitted their original app early?

What if they are reviewing and giving out countersignatures in order of who submitted their original app first? Not the additional documents for finalists, but like the full application from back in May. Personally, I submitted mine last minute on the due date 😬 Is there anyone who received a countersignature already that submitted their original app early?
I got my participant portal and I submitted the same week it opened.

I got a countersignature and now have access to the participant portal and I submitted my application on May 11th an 5:19 pm EST, which I believe was right towards the end of the due date