NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
*crickets*

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Is there a spreadsheet or link to how much previous recipients have earned at a FQHC once they graduated from school? I would like to see how the salaries compare to simply working at private clinics/corporate after school if I am not accepted to this scholarship program.

If there is no official data available, I would love to hear your anecdotal experiences as well! :)

Thank you in advance!

There is no spreadsheet. A FQHC pays you a salary regardless of if you’re under obligation for the scholarship or just a regular employee.
There might be a survey out there of starting salaries in these facilities, but I’ve never found one.
Salaries in a FQHC or with IHS are typically better starting out and they have quite a few more benefits than a private practice, but their scope of practice can be more limited. There’s also no opportunity to build capital In a FQHC whereas you can own a private practice.
Public health is a fast track option to pay off student debt!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no spreadsheet. A FQHC pays you a salary regardless of if you’re under obligation for the scholarship or just a regular employee.
There might be a survey out there of starting salaries in these facilities, but I’ve never found one.
Salaries in a FQHC or with IHS are typically better starting out and they have quite a few more benefits than a private practice, but their scope of practice can be more limited. There’s also no opportunity to build capital In a FQHC whereas you can own a private practice.
Public health is a fast track option to pay off student debt!

Do you know if this applies to physicians as well as dentists? I'm curious about the same thing but for physician jobs. My impression is they might pay less than a private practice/employer job, say for an outpatient internist or family med doc.

Also, I found at least one FQHC in Washington that said something like, You may not work as a physician anywhere other than [this tribal site]. So if the FQHCs are paying less, and you can only work basically M-F, 9-5 (which is less than probably most docs work), it might not be the best option to take the scholarship, strictly financially speaking.

If I'm chosen for the scholarship I'm gonna do a lot more research and even do a full cost-benefit analysis that considers the time value of money... My intuition says this is a spectacular option for people who want their debt gone ASAP and who want a great work/life balance as attendings, but maybe isn't the best option for someone who would've come out of residency guns blazing working tons of shifts, etc., because those people can make quite a bit if they work hard (which really just boils down to being on call a lot and putting in the time), and it sounds like the FQHCs wouldn't permit you to work elsewhere for more work if you were fulfilling your scholarship commitment.

On the other hand, if you could take the scholarship but work at an FQHC AND moonlight/be on weekend call, etc., or work for another place part-time, then I'm pretty confident that would be the best option financially.

Of course, there's a lot more to taking the scholarship including lifestyle, sense of duty, philanthropy, etc., but this is just my take on the financial aspect.

Do you know if this applies to physicians as well as dentists? I'm curious about the same thing but for physician jobs. My impression is they might pay less than a private practice/employer job, say for an outpatient internist or family med doc.

Also, I found at least one FQHC in Washington that said something like, You may not work as a physician anywhere other than [this tribal site]. So if the FQHCs are paying less, and you can only work basically M-F, 9-5 (which is less than probably most docs work), it might not be the best option to take the scholarship, strictly financially speaking.

If I'm chosen for the scholarship I'm gonna do a lot more research and even do a full cost-benefit analysis that considers the time value of money... My intuition says this is a spectacular option for people who want their debt gone ASAP and who want a great work/life balance as attendings, but maybe isn't the best option for someone who would've come out of residency guns blazing working tons of shifts, etc., because those people can make quite a bit if they work hard (which really just boils down to being on call a lot and putting in the time), and it sounds like the FQHCs wouldn't permit you to work elsewhere for more work if you were fulfilling your scholarship commitment.

On the other hand, if you could take the scholarship but work at an FQHC AND moonlight/be on weekend call, etc., or work for another place part-time, then I'm pretty confident that would be the best option financially.

Of course, there's a lot more to taking the scholarship including lifestyle, sense of duty, philanthropy, etc., but this is just my take on the financial aspect.
From what I understood from the instructions. You don't necessarily have to work at an FQHC but at an approved site in an HPSA. I dont think all of those are FQHCs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understood from the instructions. You don't necessarily have to work at an FQHC but at an approved site in an HPSA. I dont think all of those are FQHCs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're right. Maybe I was mistakenly using the two interchangeably. I guess I can't be sure I was looking at an FQHC, it may just have been an HPSA, I don't remember.

I think you're right. Maybe I was mistakenly using the two interchangeably. I guess I can't be sure I was looking at an FQHC, it may just have been an HPSA, I don't remember.
I found this in an article.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200731-152032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200731-152032_Chrome.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 169
I’m starting to wonder if we’ll even get finalist decisions before September! Anyone heard anything? This is like teeth being extracted without meds.

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with someone the other day from the NHSC, and they said Sep. 30th is still the final day they could let us know by; I expect them to capitalize on that whole 2 months.

It’s been a painful wait. But at this point, most of us will be too busy with classes to be dwelling on this....? ‍

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
While i'm anxiously waiting... would any previous scholarship recipients be able to list specific things about their application and essays that they think helped them get the scholarship? With this limbo period before school starts, my mind is spiraling and i'm trying to think of ways I can modify my application if I need to reapply in the future

Are we able to apply for this at any point during dental school? Also how would this work if you were hoping to specialize in ortho, endo, omfs, etc? Does it require you to become a general practitioner? Does anyone fulfill the requirement and then return for that training later?

Members don't see this ad :)
Plot twist: there is no scholarship.

Reactions: 4 users
Still no updates :( one of my friends who received the scholarship last year got the finalist email around this time last year. We have yet to even get a credit check... :/

Reactions: 1 user
Are we able to apply for this at any point during dental school? Also how would this work if you were hoping to specialize in ortho, endo, omfs, etc? Does it require you to become a general practitioner? Does anyone fulfill the requirement and then return for that training later?

Yes you may apply during dental school. The minimum scholarship reward us 2 years with 2 years payback. I just finished my first year of dental school and I applied for a second time. I will apply next year as well if I don’t get it this time.

This is straight from the 2020 NHSC Scholarship Program Application Guidance PDF:
“For dental scholars entering postgraduate training in 2020-2021, the approved postgraduate training programs are accredited programs in:
General Practice Dentistry
Advanced Education in General Dentistry
Pediatric Dentistry
Public Health Dentistry
Geriatrics Dentistry Fellowship

Yes, I’m sure some return for unapproved training/residency following the payback period. However if you intend to specialize in something not approved by the NHSC, I don’t think it would be recommended to do the NHSC scholarship. Go straight to your residency after dental school and get started on what your end-goal is right away. I want to either specialize in peds or do a GPR, so the limits in what you can specialize in before the payback period were not a turn-off for me since peds and GPR are included.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you may apply during dental school. The minimum scholarship reward us 2 years with 2 years payback. I just finished my first year of dental school and I applied for a second time. I will apply next year as well if I don’t get it this time.

This is straight from the 2020 NHSC Scholarship Program Application Guidance PDF:
“For dental scholars entering postgraduate training in 2020-2021, the approved postgraduate training programs are accredited programs in:
General Practice Dentistry
Advanced Education in General Dentistry
Pediatric Dentistry
Public Health Dentistry
Geriatrics Dentistry Fellowship

Yes, I’m sure some return for unapproved training/residency following the payback period. However if you intend to specialize in something not approved by the NHSC, I don’t think it would be recommended to do the NHSC scholarship. Go straight to your residency after dental school and get started on what your end-goal is right away. I want to either specialize in peds or do a GPR, so the limits in what you can specialize in before the payback period were not a turn-off for me since peds and GPR are included.

I think the minimum is actually a 1 year scholarship and a 2 year payback.

oh how i hate waiting

Maybe they will skip the credit checks and just start shooting out finalist emails. Or, more realistically, maybe there will be a very short time between the credit checks and the finalist emails.

Hopefully it is behind because they are going to increase funding as part of a stimulus package... right?

Reactions: 7 users
This will be the week that something happens, I can feel it!

• Haha
This will be the week that something happens, I can feel it!
Welp...I admire your optimism.

Does anyone know from prior years, were they very close to all action right around the deadline, or did they complete different actions prior to that 'end' date?
Thanks!

Welp...I admire your optimism.

Does anyone know from prior years, were they very close to all action right around the deadline, or did they complete different actions prior to that 'end' date?
Thanks!

Deadline is Sept. 30, but below are dates that were used last year (in the first post).

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ??? (Aug 3 in 2018-2019)
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - Aug 20 - phone call before finalist email
Counter-signature Notification: After downloading a copy of the contract, it was signed by Jamie King
1st round - September 9th @ 2:30PM
2nd round - Sept 10th @ 4:30 PM
3rd round - Sept 11th @ various times

Reactions: 5 users
credit check from Credco today!

For some reason Credit Karma called this a mortgage inquiry? I definitely dont know what the whole mortgage thing is about

Reactions: 5 users
credit check from Credco today!

For some reason Credit Karma called this a mortgage inquiry? I definitely dont know what the whole mortgage thing is about

I got an notification from Credit Karma for mortgage inquiry as well, but I don't see Credco listed? How are you sure is Credco ?

I got an notification from Credit Karma for mortgage inquiry as well, but I don't see Credco listed? How are you sure is Credco ?
go on to the site or app and click on your recent inquiries. one should say credco under equifax

Does the credit check mean you’re like a finalist for an award or do they just do it on everyone?

Does the credit check mean you’re like a finalist for an award or do they just do it on everyone?
Plenty of people who receive credit checks do not receive the award. However, I believe you cannot receive the award without a credit check. Also, many people in the past did not receive credit checks so I don't think everyone gets one.

Also received a credit check today from Credco for "miscellaneous reptg. agencies"

Also got the inquiry! Thought it was spam at first so didn't even pay mind to the email. Glad I check this often lol

I have never been so happy to see my credit score go down. Got the Hard inquiry by Credco!

From my understanding, this means that they reviewed your application, everything checked out (No missing parts or pieces, so they go to the next step which is to make sure you pass the credit check, then they really start reviewing the application for determination of finalists. It is kind of like the two big weeding out phases?

PS I totally called it about this week being the week. :happy:

do they email you if you get a credit check? how do you know you got a credit check? email from credco?

do they email you if you get a credit check? how do you know you got a credit check? email from credco?

Download Credit Karma and then see you credit profile on Equifax. There should be hard inquiries listed there.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 on Credco. Didn't show up on the reporting service that capital one uses, but it should show up on Credit Karma as others have mentioned.

Just a heads up to others, mine only showed up under my Equifax report and not Transunion

Same here! Hopefully this means something as I did not get one the last time I applied but I am trying to stay realistic.

Also received a credit check from Credco! at 4:18 pm Central time. So glad to finally hear something.

A question I had that I couldn't find the answer to online but hoping someone here knows: Do they know if you're a re-applicant? Is that taken into account in any way?

A question I had that I couldn't find the answer to online but hoping someone here knows: Do they know if you're a re-applicant? Is that taken into account in any way?
I'd like to know this also. I'm a reapplicant and received a credit check last year, but nothing today when the inquiries went out. Hoping that they are just using my check from last year since it stays on the credit report for two years, maybe it is good for two years?

I got an email from Credit Karma stating that a lender checked my credit, but I did not get an alert through the credit karma app...
I'm sure it was related to the scholarship but I do find it weird that the app itself didn't notify me and the credit check has yet to show up on my hard inquiries.
Congrats to everyone that has gotten a credit check and good luck moving forward!

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Based on the data that Cyro8 posted earlier in this thread it looks like the majority of awards are given to first-time applicants. Attached is the data for dental student applicants.

Attachments

• NHSC Reapplicant.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 157
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Based on the data that Cyro8 posted earlier in this thread it looks like the majority of awards are given to first-time applicants. Attached is the data for dental student applicants.

Interesting, that reads to me as more first year (not first time applicants) dental students receive the award than other years, but that might be true because more first years apply? The application didn't have any place to mention you were a re-applicant so I am not sure how they would quickly gather that data.

Credit Karma
Equifax-Credco Micellanous Reptg. Agencies
Dated for today.

Can anyone tell me what to do once I set up my Credit Karma account?

I don't know where it would say there was a credit check, even if so.

Didn't see anything, but I also signed up for credit Karma just now and it doesn't show any of my hard inquiries, like my one for student loans. I wonder if it just needs to update since I just got it - it's missing lots of stuff. Here's to hoping, even though my chances are pretty slim after having to do a 180 for a last-minute recommendation request after my supervisor kept telling me 'I just need to upload it.' One can still dream.