Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I was technically complete mid july, but i feel like they're still waiting on a science prof LOR from me... OOS 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 (12/8/12)...
Yeah, I'm wondering when I was considered complete considering I submitted the app and got the "ready for review" phone call in late June but my letters weren't in until late July...

Members don't see this ad.

Ohh I see now. You have it october 7th. Dang.
ya i wanted the earlier date of 9/16 but it was filled already! Im gonna call the school to see if they do a cancellation wait list for interview dates. Anyone know of this here?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for people applying this year, had your scores been competitive for MD, would you have kept DO your first choice?

So for people applying this year, had your scores been competitive for MD, would you have kept DO your first choice?

I'm not considering MD vs. DO so much as I am location...and suffice it to say Florida/Ft. Lauderdale is quite a nice place ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not considering MD vs. DO so much as I am location...and suffice it to say Florida/Ft. Lauderdale is quite a nice place ;)

There are definitely DO schools that I applied to that i would attend before some of the MDs I applied to.

I have selected an interview date and wanted to inquire do I need to bring any other document? I am going to bring a copy of my application, but besides that do I need to bring anything else?

Florida Hospital - East Orlando is the Orlando site. I don't know how many spots.
TY for the reply that is very useful to me. But I can't say I am thrilled about it. East is my least favorite campus. I went there for a BLS course in 2007, parked right in front of the entrance, with security sitting right there with a golf cart. Came out 4 hours later, security in the exact same spot, and my mirror was hanging on the side of my car. Nobody saw nothin', of course, and securities response could be described as disinterested, at best.

Nice looking campus tho, but I have an elephantine memory for heinous crimes against my vehicles. I mean, I was in school and was very poor, it didn't exactly endear that campus to me. I have deliberately avoided going there ever since. Nothing like that has ever happened to me anywhere else (And I have worked in at least 7 different hospitals from Tally to Saint Cloud). Maybe it was bad luck, but either way, East will be tainted forever for me.

Last edited:
Waiting for freaking AACOMAS to get verified. AMCAS got verified already, but AACOMAS is taking FOREVER!!! this is my #1 pick. 3.65 GPA, 3.77 sGPA, 28 MCAT, ECs

TY for the reply that is very useful to me. But I can't say I am thrilled about it. East is my least favorite campus. I went there for a BLS course in 2007, parked right in front of the entrance, with security sitting right there with a golf cart. Came out 4 hours later, security in the exact same spot, and my mirror was hanging on the side of my car. Nobody saw nothin', of course, and securities response could be described as disinterested, at best.

Nice looking campus tho, but I have an elephantine memory for heinous crimes against my vehicles. I mean, I was in school and was very poor, it didn't exactly endear that campus to me. I have deliberately avoided going there ever since. Nothing like that has ever happened to me anywhere else (And I have worked in at least 7 different hospitals from Tally to Saint Cloud). Maybe it was bad luck, but either way, East will be tainted forever for me.
I can't speak to the quality of the site, as that sort of thing is years ahead of me. I've heard good things about Mt. Sinai, Jackson, Broward and the site in New York. I've heard not so good things about Palmetto, Larkin and the Georgia site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all the II's so far! I was complete 7/3, so, hopefully soon....does anyone know on the portal if they give a status? I can't see one anywhere. Hoping for some love from NSU, would love to go here. Any trends so far that anyone knows of with the II's?

Congrats on the interview invites guys. Make sure to check out Nova's Interview Feedback page on SDN for more specific tips/hints.

Does anyone know when and how often the committee meets to screen for interviews?

Does NOVA require letters before they offer an interview? I have letters ready to be sent but I'm waiting on one from a DO before I sent them.

Does NOVA require letters before they offer an interview? I have letters ready to be sent but I'm waiting on one from a DO before I sent them.
They don't require a DO, and they do require letters before II. Send what you have with the MD recommendation.

Reactions: 1 users
Completed secondary today! My letters have already been in for a while, so I should have everything complete. Hoping for an II! I grew up on the gulf coast in AL so I'd love to stay along the coastal lines. And I have lots of family in FL as well. Super excited to get the application process started! :)

Are there any statistics on how many applicants there are and how many interviews they give out? I can't seem to find that information.

Thanks!

Are there any statistics on how many applicants there are and how many interviews they give out? I can't seem to find that information.

Thanks!

According to the Osteopathic CIB, Nova received 5,610 applications from the 2013-2014 cycle. I have no idea if that is referencing the number of primary apps submitted or if that is how many people actually submitted a secondary. I'm not aware of any statistics on number of interviews or the acceptance:interview ratio. The CIB is not as well put together as the MSAR, but that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Hey guys,

So I was taking a look at the NSU page in the AACOM CIB: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014cib-60 NSU-COM.pdf

If you go all the way to the bottom where it talks about financial aid, it says that out-of-state tuition is $46,195 and then below that it says that estimated living expenses are $41,172/year. That comes out to a grand total of $87,367/year. Is this accurate?

Compared to LECOM-E, for example, the living expenses are $23,000/year. How can there be an $18,000 difference in just living expenses? In total, it's nearly $35,000 cheaper PER YEAR to go to LECOM-E. LECOM-B is nearby in Florida and is comparable (in both living expenses and tuition) to LECOM-E.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:
I don't know for sure about the prices but LECOM-B is not "near" NSUCOM. Being that NSU is in South Florida, it makes sense that living expenses are more. I don't think it would be that much but I guess it depends where you live. Being from that area, I can tell you that living down there is not cheap. Bradenton is much more north and on the west coast and is a much smaller city, so it would make sense that the cost of living is cheaper.

Hope that helps!

Hey guys,

So I was taking a look at the NSU page in the AACOM CIB: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014cib-60 NSU-COM.pdf

If you go all the way to the bottom where it talks about financial aid, it says that out-of-state tuition is $46,195 and then below that it says that estimated living expenses are $41,172/year. That comes out to a grand total of $87,367/year. Is this accurate?

Compared to LECOM-E, for example, the living expenses are $23,000/year. How can there be an $18,000 difference in just living expenses? In total, it's nearly $35,000 cheaper PER YEAR to go to LECOM-E. LECOM-B is nearby in Florida and is comparable (in both living expenses and tuition) to LECOM-E.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Huge difference in property value and price. South Florida is expensive for living and commuting. LECOM-B is in a more remote area and off the bat offers some of the cheapest tuition DO schools offer.

Also, NSU-COM is a good 4-5 hours away from LECOM-B.

That pretty much sums up the major differences- hope it helps.

Does anyone know what days of the week Nova typically interviews on?

In the previous year's thread they say that Nova really overestimates living expenses to accommodate all types of situations (families etc.) but you guys are right about south Florida being expensive.

On another note, did anybody get a recommended hotels list with school rates when they got the email about the interview? I'm looking to book it soon because I'm going to be in Davie for a couple days before the interview.

In your appointment email (to set up interview) did anyone see "Number in group?" If so, what number was next to it?

Wondering if that is how many people in a group or the group number I'm assigned to that date? (I have a 1 next to mine)

Thanks!

Is Nova sending out II's to those who are OOS first? I was complete end of June and am still waiting :(

Coming from southern california, southern florida cost of living is such a relief...wouldn't mind attending here!

Have people been receiving ii since last Tuesday?

I have been complete, with all letters, since 8/11 but I have not heard anything yet

Hey, guys, I'm class of 2015 so I'm at the beginning of fourth year. Not your main focus right now, obviously, but if you have any questions about rotations and stuff, I can try to answer them. I lived in Rolling Hills the first two years because I didn't have a car, so it was expensive but ended up being worth it (for me). I did my core rotations in the Memorial system in Hollywood, FL and I'm currently finishing my second month of rural rotations in Orlando, if you're interested in any of that. I know for us, there was technically an attendance policy first year that wasn't enforced, but most of our classes also weren't recorded, so there was pretty good attendance. Second year - no attendance policy except for certain classes and everything was recorded, so there were lots of class hours with maybe 30 students or less especially towards the end of the year. Seems to be an issue that goes back and forth year to year, and it's hard to satisfy everyone. I do believe they'll keep working on it - some of the things that were fixed through discussions between the SGA and administration during my first two years were recording all first year classes and the set-up for medical spanish, so they do listen and respond to student concerns fairly quickly.

Good luck with the application cycle!

I'm in the same boat, in state, complete since late June/early July (submitted everything the first day available and all letters in). So I'm hoping they're just starting with OOS first xD

Haha did anyone get a phone call saying that your application is being forwarded to the committee?

Edit: How long before you received an II after getting that call :D

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, in state, complete since late June/early July (submitted everything the first day available and all letters in). So I'm hoping they're just starting with OOS first xD
I sure hope so! I've been waiting for the past month for something.

Me too guys. I've been complete since end of June or the first couple of days in July and have yet to hear anything. I'm OOS.

I got one today too! Man I thought it was an interview invite, I flew out of bed once I saw the Florida number. I got my secondary and submitted it in about 48 hours. Haha.

Haha I thought it was an interview invite too. My phone actually said "Nova Southeastern" so you can only imagine my pulse rate at that moment