Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also from Orlando! I have a lot of family in South Florida and Nova is definitely my first choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Woo, Central Florida! I do like living close to the beach now; Orlando and Gainesville were both so landlocked!

Woo, Central Florida! I do like living close to the beach now; Orlando and Gainesville were both so landlocked!
Yeah I moved from the southwest coast of Florida (about 2 minutes from the gulf with a view over a huge harbor into the gulf) to Gainesville and I have to admit I pretty much feel imprisoned by how land locked it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
@sunshinefl Have you tried the springs yet? :) They're close to Gainesville and really nice! They're an okay substitute for the beach in a pinch.
Good luck today guys! Let's hope nobody shows. :laugh:

Have you guys heard anything? What should we expect?

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing either. Wish I had more info on how the process works for the day of orientation. I wonder if I should wait all day or if replacement for those who didn't show are made early morning. I feel like my whole summer and now my whole day is on hold :(

I'm at work like checking my email every 15 minutes, it's very distracting. I have no idea how it's done though, so I'm trying not to get too hopeful or too crushed.

I'm at work like checking my email every 15 minutes, it's very distracting. I have no idea how it's done though, so I'm trying not to get too hopeful or too crushed.
I know. I hope they call at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
The guy on the phone told me "early next week", so who knows? In other news, my CVS has a 954 (Lauderdale) number and they called me just now and I almost jumped out of my skin. :laugh: I answered in my most professional voice and all it was was a reminder call to pick up a prescription. UGH!

Called a few times with no answer. I hate waiting
Anyone know anything?

I talked to Brian, he said today was a packed house...he said classes have already started and didn't know anything definitive but said of we don't hear anything by tomorrow class might be full for good. But you never know if someone drops later in the week...

I was just accepted from the waitlist by phone call. I unfortunately had to turn it down because I started at LECOM-Bradenton last week... Heartbreaking because I loved NSU so much more. I know someone deserving will get my spot!

For anyone waiting to hear, as far as I know there is only one spot available and you need to be at orientation tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
@GatorsKW14 congratulations on starting at LECOM! I have a good friend who is going there and is in your class! :) Everything happens for a reason - at least, that's what I'm telling myself now!

Last edited:
I was just accepted from the waitlist by phone call. I unfortunately had to turn it down because I started at LECOM-Bradenton last week... Heartbreaking because I loved NSU so much more. I know someone deserving will get my spot!

For anyone waiting to hear, as far as I know there is only one spot available and you need to be at orientation tomorrow.
Congratulations!!! By just now, do you mean around 3, 4pm??

Who called you?

I know, I'm grateful for that.. But if I had received the call from NSU last week, I would have been there :/
I bet! I loved NSU too. But you're a real medical student now, one step closer to your goals! That's amazing! :) You should be very proud of your accomplishments. I bet there's something big for you in Bradenton, and that's why you ended up there.

Reactions: 1 users

Also, congrats!!!

They are rushing to fill the spot. I'm sure they will continue calling past 5 if people keep turning down the spot.

Nope, negative. I hope the spot goes to one of us SDN-ers!

</3 I'm going to call on my lunch break and see what's up.

Last edited:
Called and was told that if we don't receive a call by tomorrow, then the open seats have been filled. :(

Hey guys, i just got in. i am sorry if i took one of your spots. Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't apologize for your success!! Congrats!!! :) I'm sure you're very deserving! Just remember when you're crushed with coursework that you got a coveted spot ;) Good luck!!

Want a seat? Said yes, So i took it. Called at 6 pm.
i think there is one more seat that is pending. Hope it reaches to one of you. Someone told me.

I was told there were no more spots available. :( Good luck for next cycle, everybody, or good luck at wherever you choose to attend this year! It's been a pleasure chatting with you all this past year. ;) Don't give up!

I would greatly appreciate advice from current M1/MBS students regarding my situation…

I’ve recently been invited to interview for the MBS program at NSU. I’ve also been accepted to another DO program as a first year med student, located out of the state of Florida (I’m a FL resident). The school where I have been accepted only has one hospital clinical site in FL. Their other clinical sites are located within the State of the school. I would like to know if this jeopardizes my chances of receiving a residency spot in FL due to the lack of exposure and auditioning time during my clinical years.

From my understanding a FL residency spot certainly isn’t an issue for NSU-COM graduates given they’ve earned it. Because of this, I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should become an MBS student and suck up the extra year in lieu of becoming an M1 at the out-of-state school.

So, at the end of the day my questions are:
1. Is my thought process with respect to residency correct and am I thinking this over rationally?
2. Would I have just as good of a shot in securing a FL residency spot regardless of school?
3. Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has given up an acceptance as a first year to go through NSUs MBS program because of this reason?

I would greatly appreciate advice from current M1/MBS students regarding my situation…

I’ve recently been invited to interview for the MBS program at NSU. I’ve also been accepted to another DO program as a first year med student, located out of the state of Florida (I’m a FL resident). The school where I have been accepted only has one hospital clinical site in FL. Their other clinical sites are located within the State of the school. I would like to know if this jeopardizes my chances of receiving a residency spot in FL due to the lack of exposure and auditioning time during my clinical years.

From my understanding a FL residency spot certainly isn’t an issue for NSU-COM graduates given they’ve earned it. Because of this, I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should become an MBS student and suck up the extra year in lieu of becoming an M1 at the out-of-state school.

So, at the end of the day my questions are:
1. Is my thought process with respect to residency correct and am I thinking this over rationally?
2. Would I have just as good of a shot in securing a FL residency spot regardless of school?
3. Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has given up an acceptance as a first year to go through NSUs MBS program because of this reason?

Go to the medical school. IS there any gaurantee that if you do the masters at NSU, that you would even get into NSU later?

People do residency all over the country from medical schools all over. You can do your electives/auditions in FL even if you go to the other school, and that will increase your odds of matching in FL greatly. You are a FL resident, so you have ties regardless.

Don't do a masters for the sake of some perceived chance of getting into NSU and increasing your odds of matching to a florida residency.

The final question is, is this other DO program one that you like(regardless of it being OOS)? You wouldn't have interviewed and applied there in the first place if you didnt think you would realistically attend right.

Hey guys, I am senior in high school right now. I have a 3.66 gpa and a 28 on my ACT, I really want to be in the osteopathic program. I got accepted into the school, but what are my chances to be called down for an interview? Can someone message me their scores? Thank you so much!