NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's strictly talking about COM, then summer term refers to your MII year when you begin in July and during that "summer term," you will take pathology and pharmacology.
M1's get 8 weeks vacation? Whoo hoo!!!

Members don't see this ad.

That massive library also lacks things like the reserve books for the medical school (in case you need one). It's also nice to be able to study around people in your class in case you need to bounce a question or two off of someone, which is kinda of hard to do if the bulk of the community is studying in one location, and you're in another. Finally, the general consensus doesn't answer my question. For example, I know that I interviewed for a wait list spot at KCOM, Of course everyone was taken off the wait list last year at KCOM.

As a medical student, there is a high likelihood you may never ever check out those reserve books. Especially if you buy the BRS or Lippincott's texts, you'll find that your note sets are complete and hence reading textbooks will probably be unnecessary. Also, if you need to ask a question....well, this is why we have gchat. No joke.

Well I got rejected. I'm not too surprised since I got exposed on the "list all schools you're applying to and accepted or rejected". It still stings a bit and it only makes me a bit more worried about my other applications.

I doubt this is why you got rejected. As a reapplicant and first-time DO applicant, my list was quite lengthy and definitely skewed towards the MD side. I was invited for interview shortly after I submitted my secondary and they didn't seem to care at all about the rather long list of schools where I had applied.

As a medical student, there is a high likelihood you may never ever check out those reserve books. Especially if you buy the BRS or Lippincott's texts, you'll find that your note sets are complete and hence reading textbooks will probably be unnecessary. Also, if you need to ask a question....well, this is why we have gchat. No joke.

I doubt this is why you got rejected. As a reapplicant and first-time DO applicant, my list was quite lengthy and definitely skewed towards the MD side. I was invited for interview shortly after I submitted my secondary and they didn't seem to care at all about the rather long list of schools where I had applied.
Very good advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's it??? AHHHHH!!!! What have I signed up for?

I wanted to let anyone know who cared that I went and saw about 15 different apartment complexes in a bunch of different neighborhoods. I have pictures and lots of info and opinions if anyone is interested. If you would like me to post any of the info, just let me know and PM me if you would like any information. I would like to know your opinions of the following neighborhoods:

Sunrise
Plantation
Lauderhill
Tamarac
North Lauderdale
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for the help and the opinions!!

I personally was thinkin North Lauderdale, but am going to head out there around end of april if this is where I indeed decide to go. Any input would be awesome!

hey guys

As far as where to live the best place in in Downtown Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas. That is the young people hot spot per se. Not that we will be able to enjoy it that often though :D. It is also a lot more expensive living over there. From what I have been looking at its about 1500 to 1800 per month for a nice 2 bedroom 2 bath place in that area. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Scott

Heyyy I haven't been on here for a longggg time, as I have been starting the planning process of my Long Island wedding, and here on LI, weddings are an actual industry so lots of planning needs to be done well ahead of time.

Question about the required rural rotations... I will be married by the time we do rural rotations, and I've been hearing that I cannot live with my spouse during this time. Is this true?? That really bothers me. I don't think anyone should have a say in whether or not one may live with one's spouse.

Heyyy I haven't been on here for a longggg time, as I have been starting the planning process of my Long Island wedding, and here on LI, weddings are an actual industry so lots of planning needs to be done well ahead of time.

Question about the required rural rotations... I will be married by the time we do rural rotations, and I've been hearing that I cannot live with my spouse during this time. Is this true?? That really bothers me. I don't think anyone should have a say in whether or not one may live with one's spouse.
I think you may have misinterpreted. For your two required rotations, you will be provided housing. The location may be far from where you would be residing your first two years at NSUCOM, though you may request something closer if you have a hardship (ie, have a house, have children, wife, etc). You are not guaranteed to have those accommodations met.

Since you will be provided housing, it may not be adequate for you and your wife. You may be living in a one bedroom on a twin bed, in a trailer, in a dorm room, or whatever the accommodations are for that site. That may prohibit you from living with your spouse, but there is no clause that says your spouse can not come with you and you can make your own arrangements. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

whats your futurewife doing down in ft lauderdale. does she have a career path or schooling to do? my futurewife is getting scared about the move. she doesnt know what she wants to do yet. its been mostly odd jobs for her for the last couple years.

I think you may have misinterpreted. For your two required rotations, you will be provided housing. The location may be far from where you would be residing your first two years at NSUCOM, though you may request something closer if you have a hardship (ie, have a house, have children, wife, etc). You are not guaranteed to have those accommodations met.

Since you will be provided housing, it may not be adequate for you and your wife. You may be living in a one bedroom on a twin bed, in a trailer, in a dorm room, or whatever the accommodations are for that site. That may prohibit you from living with your spouse, but there is no clause that says your spouse can not come with you and you can make your own arrangements. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Hahahahahahahah wait a minute guys - I am both the future dr and the future wife. My name means I am a future "dr and wife" lol. Anyway, that explanation definitely helped a lottt. I remember being told on Interview Day that my husband would not be able to come with me when we live elsewhere during rural rotations so I wasn't happy about that. But knowing that he is not necessarily prohibited from coming definitely makes me feel better. I'm sure that no matter what the conditions are, he would want to come with me, that's just how he is. We spent manyyyy undergrad nights cuddled together on a tiny bed in a single 8x10 dorm room lol so we will do what we must.

As for what he does, he is currently finishing up a business management degree so he is pretty flexible with whatever he will end up doing down there. Luckily Ft. Lauderdale is a great spot for finding jobs (as opposed to rural spots).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahahahahahahah wait a minute guys - I am both the future dr and the future wife. My name means I am a future "dr and wife" lol. Anyway, that explanation definitely helped a lottt. I remember being told on Interview Day that my husband would not be able to come with me when we live elsewhere during rural rotations so I wasn't happy about that. But knowing that he is not necessarily prohibited from coming definitely makes me feel better. I'm sure that no matter what the conditions are, he would want to come with me, that's just how he is. We spent manyyyy undergrad nights cuddled together on a tiny bed in a single 8x10 dorm room lol so we will do what we must.

As for what he does, he is currently finishing up a business management degree so he is pretty flexible with whatever he will end up doing down there. Luckily Ft. Lauderdale is a great spot for finding jobs (as opposed to rural spots).

haha. sorry about the misinterpretation. at least i wasnt the only one.

I have a condo in Plantation and love it. It's less than 4 miles from campus, but it still gives me some seperation from the whole "school" envirnonment when I need a break. Its a good safe area, the only draw back in that traffic on University Drive can be kinda heavy in the morning. If I leave at 7:15, its a 10-15 minute commute, if I leave even a minute after 7:30 its a 25 minute commute. I'm from Texas and was used to 45min to an hour commute each way so its not a big deal for me but everyone has there own limits on commuting. I think you'll find that the other locations you've listed will be longer commutes. Hope that helps....

I wanted to let anyone know who cared that I went and saw about 15 different apartment complexes in a bunch of different neighborhoods. I have pictures and lots of info and opinions if anyone is interested. If you would like me to post any of the info, just let me know and PM me if you would like any information. I would like to know your opinions of the following neighborhoods:

Sunrise
Plantation
Lauderhill
Tamarac
North Lauderdale
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for the help and the opinions!!

when do you think waitlist movement is going to move???????? anyone know???

when do you think waitlist movement is going to move???????? anyone know???

My best guess is that NSU will have deposits in March 15th... so the ADCOM will meet the week of 16-20... so the first people should start hearing waitlist movement week of the 23-27.

keep checking SDN. cause the first day someone is moved from waitlist youll definately hear about it on here.

g'luck

Wow that is not good news from KCOM, everyone being taken from the waitlist means they probably didn't fill the class then. Unless that last person they offered a spot to on the list accepted it and they were filling the last empty spot in the class. Schools tend to be safe and have big enough waitlists so they can be sure to fill every single spot they have open with plenty of wiggle room left on the waitlist.

Ok, looking at the KCOM thread, it appears that I was mistaken a bit. Apparently KCOM keeps two lists after the class fills. There's the traditional "alternate" wait list and then there's the "accepted pending space" wait list. The "accepted pending space" list gets the benefit of a guaranteed acceptance for the next year as well as having the full list being pulled for last admissions cycle (either offered a spot or people withdrew before they could be offered a spot). The alternate list is just your normal everyday wait list.

Just paid the 2nd deposit :eek:, good luck to those on the waitlist, I bet there is going to be movement soon!

how easy is it to stay in fort lauderdale for all 4 years, is it smart to buy a house in the area, or do most students have to go to other locations for 3rd and 4th years?

time2go said:
how easy is it to stay in fort lauderdale for all 4 years, is it smart to buy a house in the area, or do most students have to go to other locations for 3rd and 4th years?

Most of NSU's clinical rotation sites are in the South Florida area (at least by number of students who go there).

Broward is the largest, taking about a quarter of the class
Memorial, Palmetto, Mt. Sinai combine to take another third

So over half of the class goes to spots in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.
Add in Palm Beach and you pick up enough spots to make it about 2/3 of the class.

The rest of the core rotation sites are in Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Brighton Beach, etc... But usually those spots are taken up by people who want to go there. If you want to stay in south florida, it'll be easy to do.

quick question...i know the interview is listed to end at 2:30, so how feasible would it be to get to the airport for a 4:15 flight? i might have to ask the admissions department to excuse me early...any1 have luck w/ that?

Between rental car return, checking in, security, and all, you'll be cutting it awefully close. We were asked if anyone needed to leave early and I doubt that they would hold it against you if you did need to leave early.

quick question...i know the interview is listed to end at 2:30, so how feasible would it be to get to the airport for a 4:15 flight? i might have to ask the admissions department to excuse me early...any1 have luck w/ that?

they said the same thing when i was there, that its no big deal to leave a little early. one girl had to leave early for a flight, not a big deal. (except she couldnt open the door to leave in the middle of the dean talking to us...so funny.)

the end of the day for us was really laid back. after lunch we just all hung out with M1 and M2's to chat, then had about an hour long talk with the dean about the day and where we were all from/how we got here.

nice that is good to know. I will most likely call a cab unless I can get a good deal on a rental at the airport.

If you are under 25, Enterprise has the cheapest surcharge out of the ones published online. It was either $10 or $15 (I interviewed at NSU and KCOM within a 2 week period. One was $10, the other was $15) a day while most other companies were $25/day.

nice that is good to know. I will most likely call a cab unless I can get a good deal on a rental at the airport.

Comfort Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport-West (FL591)
2540 Davie Rd. SW 64th Ave. , Davie, FL, US, 33317
Phone: (954) 585-7071

free shuttle to and from airport. free shuttle to and from nsu. cant beat it. just let them know ahead of time when you land or need to leave.

I had to leave early from an interview at RVU and I got in there so I don't think they held it against me. You might miss seeing the tour which is really cool. I didn't rent a car when I was in Florida and that made it a lot better and simpler for me. Those under 25 charges can really suck. We just used Sunshine rental cars though when we went down last weekend and they has reasonable prices and we got a Toyota Yaris which was a great car. You would not need to fill it up if you used it for a day which saves a trip to a gas station before dropping the car off. Good luck!

Most of NSU's clinical rotation sites are in the South Florida area (at least by number of students who go there).

Broward is the largest, taking about a quarter of the class
Memorial, Palmetto, Mt. Sinai combine to take another third

So over half of the class goes to spots in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.
Add in Palm Beach and you pick up enough spots to make it about 2/3 of the class.

The rest of the core rotation sites are in Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Brighton Beach, etc... But usually those spots are taken up by people who want to go there. If you want to stay in south florida, it'll be easy to do.
Your 3rd year clinical site is determined by lottery using a rank order list. Based on that, you may not be able to get the location or even area that you want. The majority of the class that wanted to stay in So. FL did indeed stay in So. FL.

so those that do their clinical rotations in south florida still live in ft. lauderdale after during their rotations?

so those that do their clinical rotations in south florida still live in ft. lauderdale after during their rotations?

after during?

Where you choose to live at any time is completely up to you. We had people in my class who lived in West Palm Beach and South Miami and commuted daily to class first and second year. We had people who got assigned to core rotation sites in those towns but chose to commute from Ft. Lauderdale for 3rd and 4th year.

Personally I lived in Davie. The apartment complex I was in was walking distance from the school. My 3rd year core rotations were at Broward. I lived in Davie until the end of the 3rd year when I moved back to my home town in Virginia because my 4th year rotations were spread all over the country (by choice). Where you do your 4th year rotations will depend a lot on what specialty you decide to go into and what strategy you decide on for your residency application process. But that's not something you should be deciding right now.

hmmmm....when i interviewed at nova, my interviewer told me that nova is different because we dont have to go search for our own clinical rotations like other DO schools make their students do, thats strange. anyways thanks for the help

I paid my 2nd deposit today!! Big load off, but a lot of money too... Anyway I am really excited, leaving next wednesday to come look at apartments! Should be a nice vacation although it looks like it might rain :(

Any suggestions on good places to eat or check out while I am down there?

time2go said:
hmmmm....when i interviewed at nova, my interviewer told me that nova is different because we dont have to go search for our own clinical rotations like other DO schools make their students do, thats strange.

That's true. Nova does arrange all of your required rotations for you at your core site. So that takes up all of 3rd year. And 4 months of 4th year.
But during 4th year you have 5 elective months. It's the elective months that you have to schedule for yourself. You can choose to do them at Nova core sites in which case the school has streamlined processes in place to get you into them.

But lets say by that point you've decided you want to do ENT. You're going to want to go to do your electives in ENT at places that have ENT residencies so you can show off how good you are. Well those programs are pretty scarce when it comes to South Florida. So you'll want to schedule your electives at programs around the country. And those you have to set up yourself.

I just withdrew my acceptance from NSU-COM, so there's a spot for one of you hopefuls. =)

Skiracr- if you like sushi, I highly recommend Marumi sushi off University in Plantation. We ate there and it was amazing. Even the normal ginger salad was really good and different! I also saw India House in Plantation and read some good reviews on it. La Brasa is Peruvian and it looked good too...I can't wait to eat all of these interesting cuisines when I go down again!

Skiracr- if you like sushi, I highly recommend Marumi sushi off University in Plantation. We ate there and it was amazing. Even the normal ginger salad was really good and different! I also saw India House in Plantation and read some good reviews on it. La Brasa is Peruvian and it looked good too...I can't wait to eat all of these interesting cuisines when I go down again!
Now we're talking.

I haven't paid my second deposit yet, and the truth is because I am still waiting on a decision from another school. Will this jepordize my place at NSU? I'm not very confident about the other school that I'm waiting on so I really can't risk loosing my seat at NSU, but then again the 2nd deposit is NOT a small sum.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions?

I haven't paid my second deposit yet, and the truth is because I am still waiting on a decision from another school. Will this jepordize my place at NSU? I'm not very confident about the other school that I'm waiting on so I really can't risk loosing my seat at NSU, but then again the 2nd deposit is NOT a small sum.

Teggy, I think you answered your own question and I have highlighted it in bold. Considering that the deposit at NSU is due TODAY, and you will not hear from the other school on a Sunday... you should probably reserve your seat by paying it.

On the other hand if youre still not sure, there are tons of people praying to get off the waitlist where NSU is their number one choice.

I was doing the same thing, but the truth is that unless you interviewed at that school 2 or 3 weeks ago, you probably won't hear back for at least another month.

I'm on the waitlist at 2 schools I'd prefer over nova and have to wait till after May 15 for one and then Mid april for the other.

After March 15th, those who had not paid their deposits and/or declined their seat in the class are assumed to relinquish their place in the incoming class. Those available seats are then filled by those on the waitlist/alternate list and/or those who applied within the past couple of weeks.

The nitty gritty answer:
You do jeopardize your seat from NSU if you don't pay your second deposit. It is in your best interest to pay that deposit. The worse case scenario is that you don't pay your deposit and you do not get into the other school that you're waiting for. You'll have to scramble in hopes that NSUCOM has any seats left. Hope this helps.

After March 15th, those who had not paid their deposits and/or declined their seat in the class are assumed to relinquish their place in the incoming class. Those available seats are then filled by those on the waitlist/alternate list and/or those who applied within the past couple of weeks.

The nitty gritty answer:
You do jeopardize your seat from NSU if you don't pay your second deposit. It is in your best interest to pay that deposit. The worse case scenario is that you don't pay your deposit and you do not get into the other school that you're waiting for. You'll have to scramble in hopes that NSUCOM has any seats left. Hope this helps.

You're right, I paid it like 2 mins ago. I paid it on the last day last minute, I hope there won't be any issues.

after during?

Where you choose to live at any time is completely up to you. We had people in my class who lived in West Palm Beach and South Miami and commuted daily to class first and second year. We had people who got assigned to core rotation sites in those towns but chose to commute from Ft. Lauderdale for 3rd and 4th year.

Personally I lived in Davie. The apartment complex I was in was walking distance from the school. My 3rd year core rotations were at Broward. I lived in Davie until the end of the 3rd year when I moved back to my home town in Virginia because my 4th year rotations were spread all over the country (by choice). Where you do your 4th year rotations will depend a lot on what specialty you decide to go into and what strategy you decide on for your residency application process. But that's not something you should be deciding right now.

how far are west plam/miami/broward from campus?