NYU vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netbook7245

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question. I am accepted at SLU and have made plans to move there. I was also fortunate to ahve just received an acceptance at NYU. My question is this; while I like NYU a lot when I visited I would like some opinions on if the difference in cost and hassle changing all my plans will be worth it.

So SDN what do you all think?

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all just a quick question. I am accepted at SLU and have made plans to move there. I was also fortunate to ahve just received an acceptance at NYU. My question is this; while I like NYU a lot when I visited I would like some opinions on if the difference in cost and hassle changing all my plans will be worth it.

So SDN what do you all think?

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate your input.

Is the cost difference just COL for the areas? If you have any inkling of wanting to do any more competitive specialties, get into academic medicine or end up in a highly sought-after area, definitely NYU.

i would say NYU over SLU just because saint louis isn't as safe perhaps? But SLU is also a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think that I might like to end up teaching some day but I'm not totally sure. As for specialty I'm not sure but the three that have me most interested are radiology, anesthesiology, and emergency medicine.

And yes the difference in cost is mostly COL. I guess I really liked NYU more but want to know if the prestige will really make a difference. I seem to see lots of things saying it doesn't matter so I'm curious for another perspective.

The other huge advantage imo at NYU is the c21, I like the idea of doing the pre clinical in 18 months intead of 24.

I interviewed at both schools; accepted to SLU and rejected from NYU. I'd have taken NYU any day because of the location, curriculum, and closeness of the student body. I thought SLU was a great school and I'd have been happy to go to school there, but I just don't think it has the opportunities that NYU does.

I will say that if cost is a huge issue to you, don't worry about the prestige factor--SLU had a great match list and it's proximity to Barnes-Jewish is reflected in the match.

I live in St Louis and my girlfriend is a student at SLUSOM. It's a really great school, the area is safer than any "outsider" thinks. It's actually much safer than WashU's medical school just because of the location. I work at Barnes Jewish, which is attached to WashU so I have ample first hand experience in both areas. St Louis has patchy areas where it's safe/not safe. SLUSOM just happens to be in one of those safe areas whereas WashU SOM does not. WashU undergrad is a few miles away and is actually significantly safer than both med schools, but that's beside the point.

No experience with NYU, but SLU has good facilities, lots of nearby housing, a relatively cheaper (much cheaper) COL, and the weather is for the most part pretty mild compared to the east coast.

Match list is always solid and there are plenty of opportunities for research and elective clinical rotations.

I live in St Louis and my girlfriend is a student at SLUSOM. It's a really great school, the area is safer than any "outsider" thinks. It's actually much safer than WashU's medical school just because of the location. I work at Barnes Jewish, which is attached to WashU so I have ample first hand experience in both areas. St Louis has patchy areas where it's safe/not safe. SLUSOM just happens to be in one of those safe areas whereas WashU SOM does not. WashU undergrad is a few miles away and is actually significantly safer than both med schools, but that's beside the point.

No experience with NYU, but SLU has good facilities, lots of nearby housing, a relatively cheaper (much cheaper) COL, and the weather is for the most part pretty mild compared to the east coast.

Match list is always solid and there are plenty of opportunities for research and elective clinical rotations.

I don't know what kind of experiences you've had in the two areas, but I think that most people would agree that the CWE (WashU) feels a lot safer than Midtown (SLU).

I don't know what kind of experiences you've had in the two areas, but I think that most people would agree that the CWE (WashU) feels a lot safer than Midtown (SLU).

Like I said, there are patchy areas. In my ample experience with both, the SLUSOM campus is safer than the WashUSOM/BJH campus. However yes, in general, CWE feels safer than Midtown. There are more car break-ins in CWE. The SLU police force is also much larger than the WashU police force. In fact, SLU DPS is the third largest police force in the state of Missouri. The first and second largest are STLPD and KCPD. You can't walk on SLUSOM's campus for more than a minute or two without seeing a public safety officer. Can't say the same for WashUSOM. SLUSOM's campus is smaller and better lit. I don't know where WashUSOM students park, but SLUSOM student parking garages have a security officer in them 24 hours a day. Also, the fact that WashUSOM and BJH basically share a campus means that there are a lot more non-med school personnel wandering around. SLUSOM is across the street from SLU hospital. There is also a metrolink (public transportation) station on the WashUSOM campus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.