Official 09-10 IM Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd certainly be interested to know the rationale behind calling Santa Clara Valley a crap program, because everything that I've heard is quite the contrary.

Please elaborate gutonc...

Talkin' out my butt.

Members don't see this ad.

1) BIDMC
2) Hopkins
3) Duke
4) Emory
5) University of Washington

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UChicago
2. Penn
3. BIDMC
4. Brigham
5. MGH
6. Cornell
7. Northwestern
8. Stanford
9. WashU
10. Michigan

Hope the rest don't matter.

1. UChicago
2. Penn
3. BIDMC
4. Brigham
5. MGH
6. Cornell
7. Northwestern
8. Stanford
9. WashU
10. Michigan

Hope the rest don't matter.

Some of these lists have been very interesting. If these are a representative sample, MGH, BWH, and JHU are going to go unfilled this year! That would be awesome.

Some of these lists have been very interesting. If these are a representative sample, MGH, BWH, and JHU are going to go unfilled this year! That would be awesome.

Not sure why it's that interesting. I ranked according to location and program strength - most people do one or the other.

I was highly impressed by UChicago - perhaps the most academic feeling of all the places on my list and in my home city. I'm fortunate to know a decent number residents there and all are very happy. Research opportunities are great and I don't think many fellowships would be out of reach graduating from there - assuming all the requisites are good (research, letters, etc). I loved UChicago's AM report - one of the best I saw. The perception of UChicago vs. Northwestern is quite interesting. Certainly Northwestern is a great program but I wonder how much of their reputation rides on their location/facilities/cush call schedule/awesome PD (this last factor is important but not the other ones - in my opinion). I spoke with >10 attendings (neither of them at UChicago and Northwestern) and nearly all seemed to prefer UChicago for IM residency. True UChicago has had some issues lately (finances) but these appear resolved.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Penn and thought of ranking it first but in the end picked UChicago. I liked everything about the program.

All of the Harvard programs are wonderful - goes without saying. I got the best sense of resident happiness from BIDMC. Plus I had two really great interviews there and know a few residents who ranked BIDMC over the other Harvard programs so that made me more comfortable doing so. I got a little more of an "uptight" impression at BWH and MGH but obviously they are fantastic programs. I'd rather be in Philly (because of its proximity to NYC) than Boston (been there, done that).

I forgot to mention Duke. It was initially #3 on my list but dropped it because of location. Otherwise, I was amazed at the program.

Gluck everyone!

Not sure why it's that interesting. I ranked according to location and program strength - most people do one or the other.

No one particular list is surprising, just that so many people have ranked these programs lower in their lists. Remembering the ROL threads from the last couple of years, definitely a lot more people going with location and heart over reputation this year.

Last edited:
I would be happy at any of my top 8 choices, but I'm really hoping for #1!

1. Stanford
2. Michigan
3. UW
4. Duke
5. Vandy
6. UVA
7. UPMC
8. UNC

=

Last edited:
"I'm just going to come right out and say it. That is a fascinating and truly bizarre rank list. I'm sure there's a story behind it, but it's probably not as good as the one that's in my head (which involves a bottle of tequila, a fistful of acid, a midget transexual prostitute and an NRMP login on 2/23)"

well, if you must know, it started with my childhood issues when I was five.... rough life and all that jazz

seriously? gimmie a break, i'm happy with that list. there's not one program on there that i wouldn't be proud to match into.

I like my list. I made proximity to family a priority, with some compromise for my favorite program (Pitt).

1. UPMC
2. Maryland
3. Mystery home program
4. Thomas Jefferson
5. Georgetown
6. Penn State

Every single time I log into this damn website I leave feeling like ****. Thanks super med students, you're the greatest!

Every single time I log into this damn website I leave feeling like ****. Thanks super med students, you're the greatest!

The interesting thing is, next year, you will be doing to same thing to the next year's people. SDN has a way of doing that to you. True story ;)