*~*~*~* Official 2019-2020 Acceptances thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And it is double exciting because it is finally pumpkin spice season! So you can celebrate with an iced pumpkin latte!!! Congrats.
Pumpkin spice season is the best time of year! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the As everyone - it's an amazing/surreal feeling, at least for me!

Here's a shameless plug - you can enter your outcome info into this google doc and it'll show up on the application tracker and I'm going to figure out how to organize the raw data soon.

ADD YOUR OUTCOMES HERE

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my first acceptance!! I'm so excited to become a doctor

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Did anyone else burst into tears with their first A? Because I definitely did! Being a reapplicant means I've heard no a lot. So great to finally hear YES!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For a micro second, I thought Memelord had been resurrected. Oh well.
Congratulations on the acceptances everyone!

• Haha
Accepted!!! Feels so surreal. Found out last night at 12am.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Being accepted is a surreal feeling even after that initial wave of excitement.
It's a relief knowing this early in the cycle that you will become a doctor. No more worries about re-applying and a gap year.

The only problem now is that since I know I got in somewhere, I don't feel like trying anymore in any of my classes. At first I was stressing that my GPA would probably drop this semester and would hurt my chances if I had to re-apply, but we did it!! I'm still going to keep my GPA high so I can graduate with latin honors but the unnerving stress about future plans has been greatly diminished.

Congratulations to all my future colleagues! :highfive:

Reactions: 7 users
The only problem now is that since I know I got in somewhere, I don't feel like trying anymore in any of my classes.

This is not a problem. Enjoy senior year!

• Love
It's a relief knowing this early in the cycle that you will become a doctor. No more worries about re-applying and a gap year.

The only problem now is that since I know I got in somewhere, I don't feel like trying anymore in any of my classes. At first I was stressing that my GPA would probably drop this semester and would hurt my chances if I had to re-apply, but we did it!! I'm still going to keep my GPA high so I can graduate with latin honors but the unnerving stress about future plans has been greatly diminished.

You're still in undergrad ( As in, you applied to med school w/ no gap year?) Wow! Impressive.

You're still in undergrad ( As in, you applied to med school w/ no gap year?) Wow! Impressive.

While I know gap years are becoming common now, I think many people who get accepted are coming straight from undergrad. I definitely do believe that if I took a gap year, I would have been a stronger applicant and would have gained a lot of valuable experience. But I still feel like a lot of your success will be dependent on MCAT/gpa (and especially applying early). I was worried that since my application was average, I would have to take a forced gap year, but alhamdulillah all turned out well!

I relate to this! Also applying while a senior at school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Although gap years are very popular, still the most common path to med school is traditional, straight from college.

Reactions: 1 users
Although gap years are very popular, still the most common path to med school is traditional, straight from college.
if the median age for matriculation is now 23/24, then that would imply at least half of people are taking one or two gap years (barring any outliers on either end of the spectrum, of course). I really wouldn't consider traditional (aka straight through college to med school) to be traditional anymore as you can see 22-year-olds are around the 25th percentile age-wise for matriculants.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 12.30.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
if the average age for matriculation is now 23/24, then that would imply at least half of people are taking one or two gap years (barring any outliers on either end of the spectrum, of course).

I think older students are going to shift the graph significantly. One 40-year-old is going to increase "the average age" for 18 22-year-olds in the class to 23-years-old.

=Edited for clarity.=

Last edited:
I think outliers are somewhat common. One 40-year-old is going to increase "the average age" for 18 22-year-olds in the class to 23-years-old.
You can see the outliers in the 1st and 99th percentile respectively. If 1% of 20,000 students are 20 and 1% are 33-35 (based on 2017-2018 data), that's 400 students total and shouldn't skew it that much. We're talking about a giant sample size here, not a sample size of 100 students.

You can see the outliers in the 1st and 99th percentile respectively. If 1% of 20,000 students are 20 and 1% are 33-35 (based on 2017-2018 data), that's 400 students total and shouldn't skew it that much. We're talking about a giant sample size here, not a sample size of 100 students.

It's unbalanced though. If the end 1%'s are 21-years-old and 40-years-old, the 21-year-olds are going to shift the average age down by 3 (for 1%), the 40-year-olds are going to shift it up by 16 (for 1%). The same is true with the 5%'s on either side.

I'm just saying that the distribution is weighted towards the bottom of the chart. The minimum age is close to the median, whereas the "maximum" age is far to the bottom.

= Edited for clarity =

Last edited:
It's unbalanced though. If the end 1%'s are 21-years-old and 40-years-old, the 21-year-olds are going to shift the average age down by 3, the 40-year-olds are going to shift it up by 16. The same is true with the 5%'s on either side.

I'm just saying that the distribution is weighted towards the bottom of the chart. The minimum age is close to the median, whereas the "maximum" age is far to the bottom.
ok

It's unbalanced though. If the end 1%'s are 21-years-old and 40-years-old, the 21-year-olds are going to shift the average age down by 3 (for 1%), the 40-year-olds are going to shift it up by 16 (for 1%). The same is true with the 5%'s on either side.

= Edited for clarity =
Agreed. Also considering that it is not uncommon for undergraduates to graduate at age 23 as many take extra semesters or years in college... still the most common applicant is right after college. My brother's med school class, for example, (M3 in a T10 school), currently is 70% traditional and 30% took gap years. The number of gap year applicants may be higher because, although some have had other careers etc, many have gap years because they have applied multiple cycles so that skews things too. But for accepted matriculants, traditional is still the most common path.

First acceptance, to one of my top schools, i’m on oneeeee

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
hi do any of you guys know how medians work lmao

• Haha
  • Wow
So.. how did Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick get removed?

Also got my first MD acceptance today. Woo!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
So.. how did Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick get removed?

Also got my first MD acceptance today. Woo!!

TL;DR: He had some big disagreement with another moderator. Don't know the full details, but apparently other mods have been feeling for a while now that he was overly neurotic and a troll/toxic.

Coincidentally, there was another blatantly toxic SDN'er with a similar interview/acceptance profile to Mr. Patrick that showed up around the time he was banned. Only this time the humble facade was gone and was overly bitter on how he was prestige-shamed for talking about not getting certain T10/T20 interviews when holding A's for other T20s. This is all speculation, it is not 100% confirmed that this was the return of Patrick.

• Wow
TL;DR: He had some big disagreement with another moderator. Don't know the full details, but apparently other mods have been feeling for a while now that he was overly neurotic and a troll/toxic.

Coincidentally, there was another blatantly toxic SDN'er with a similar interview/acceptance profile to Mr. Patrick that showed up around the time he was banned. Only this time the humble facade was gone and was overly bitter on how he was prestige-shamed for talking about not getting certain T10/T20 interviews when holding A's for other T20s. This is all speculation, it is not 100% confirmed that this was the return of Patrick.
Oh boy, drama.

= Edited for clarity =

Are there any questions about mean, median, and mode on MCAT? Hope not

• Haha

Updoot: A user found Memelord Patrick on the premed subReddit. Here's a screencap of him explaining it.
Capture.JPG

• Wow
  • Haha
Updoot: A user found Memelord Patrick on the premed subReddit. Here's a screencap of him explaining it.View attachment 286304

“...not being an ass anymore because that just leads to bad things.” You don’t say?

Anyway, not MD but I did get an A! Congrats to all the future doctors here!

Reactions: 4 users
“...not being an ass anymore because that just leads to bad things.” You don’t say?

Anyway, not MD but I did get an A! Congrats to all the future doctors here!
Nah Mr. Elmo just had a style of comedy that just rubbed certain people the wrong way. He was never intentionally rude or malicious imo.

Nah Mr. Elmo just had a style of comedy that just rubbed certain people the wrong way. He was never intentionally rude or malicious imo.

I honestly didn’t see him intentionally be that way either, just thought that was a funny sort of personal confession from him there.

I was accepted Friday and it hasn’t sunk in... I can’t believe I’m going to be a doctor!!!!! So unbelievably grateful.

• Love