**Official 2021 Prosthodontics PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys!! Any interview updates for this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven’t heard anything! Wonder why things suddenly slowed down ...

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at last year's thread, most invitations were sent out during late August and early September. We're getting closer to some August 15 deadlines so we might hear from a those programs next week.

Lets keep each other posted :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything this week. Hoping we'll hear more mid-August to early September!

Hi, I just received an invitation for OSU. The same dates.

Does anyone have hear anything from San Antonio?

Can someone please share some insight on prosth programs in So Cal? Pros and Cons of each? I am targeting all programs in the region (west LA, UCLA, USC, Loma Linda). Thank you!

1. Ohio State University: 09/ 14, 21, 28 (email and over zoom)
2. University of Iowa: 08/ 7 (email and over zoom)
3. Herman Ostrow of USC: 07/27 to 08/13 (email and over zoom)
4. Marquette University: 08/31 or 09/1,2 ( email and over GoToMeeting)
5. Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center: 08/28, 09/04, 09/18 (email and zoom/in person)
6. Texas A&M College of Dentistry : 10/12 (email and zoom)

5. Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center: 08/28, 09/04, 09/18 (email and zoom/in person)
6. Texas A&M College of Dentistry: 10/12 (email and zoom)
7. University of Pittsburgh: Mid-September (email and zoom)

Nope. And so far, nothing from Alabama, Buffalo, NSU, North Carolina... anxiety rules here.

Members don't see this ad :)
8. UT San Antonio: 9/16 (email and zoom)

Just heard from San Antonio.

Last edited:

Just heard from San Antonio.
Wow is there any hands-on or any other type of assessment in San Antonio or Pittsburgh or any of the above schools which have invited for interview? What kind of interviews are they conducting I mean like qs and answer or something other? How long is the duration for the interviews??

Wow is there any hands-on or any other type of assessment in San Antonio or Pittsburgh or any of the above schools which have invited for interview? What kind of interviews are they conducting I mean like qs and answer or something other? How long is the duration for the interviews??

Ohio State normally has a hands on portion but they are subbing it for a port folio presentation (optional; won’t count against you if you don’t have one). USC was only 1hr with the directors. I believe OSU will be longer (probably 9-5) and has a RPD design portion. San Antonio is also longer (8-3). SA said it will be a chain of interviews and resident presentation with a lunch break somewhere in between.

Ohio State normally has a hands-on portion but they are subbing it for a portfolio presentation (optional; won’t count against you if you don’t have one). USC was only 1hr with the directors. I believe OSU will be longer (probably 9-5) and has a RPD design portion. San Antonio is also longer (8-3). SA said it will be a chain of interviews and resident presentation with a lunch break somewhere in between.

Thanks for replying. What exactly is a portfolio presentation and how are you supposed to prepare it? Please brief me about it. Also, how will one design RPD online, and again how do you prepare for it? As you mentioned that SA is for such a long duration, do they also have any designing exercises or similar, or is it a qs and answer interview?
How about other schools- Pittsburgh, a&m, Marquette?
Whoever interviewed with Iowa, please provide the information about what happened and what were the questions asked?
Any more invites?

Thanks for replying. What exactly is a portfolio presentation and how are you supposed to prepare it? Please brief me about it. Also, how will one design RPD online, and again how do you prepare for it? As you mentioned that SA is for such a long duration, do they also have any designing exercises or similar, or is it a qs and answer interview?
Whoever interviewed with Iowa, please provide the information about what happened and what were the questions asked?
Any more invites?

I couldn't find any guidelines for a portfolio so I just created one. Who knows if I did it right. Also I am as in the blind as much as you are with doing RPD design via ZOOM. I haven't heard anything about RPD design with SA though.

I couldn't find any guidelines for a portfolio so I just created one. Who knows if I did it right. Also I am as in the blind as much as you are with doing RPD design via ZOOM. I haven't heard anything about RPD design with SA though.
But what does the portfolio contain- the documented cases? and is it a ppt presentation or what?
From where to study about RPD designing?

Any more invites?
Pittsburgh just sent the invitation telling me that details will be sent in the next weeks. When I get it I will share the information here.

Reactions: 1 user
But what does the portfolio contain- the documented cases? and is it a ppt presentation or what?
From where to study about RPD designing?
It’s probably whatever you want it to be. It’s just to show your hands kills. And I’m just going to review what I learned from school in regards to RPD designs.

Any more invites?

For marquette, they have a written exam on your pros knowledge and you've got to abstract an article as well. It seems like each school comes up with an idea to assess the candidate beside the interview. It's a crazy year and we should expect anything!

9. University of Maryland: 9/15 (call and zoom)

Just heard from Maryland via phone call. Interviews are over zoom.

9. University of Maryland: 9/15 (call and zoom)

Just heard from Maryland via phone call. Interviews are over zoom.
How is the pros residency or Wat is the pros and cons or overall any other information for the following schools: nova, Ohio, Iowa, a&m, San Antonio, Indiana, rutgers, Tennessee, Minnesota, Lsu, Washington, Alabama, Florida, Louisville, West Virginia or any other school?
I heard Marquette and Pittsburgh are good.

Hello, by mistake, I applied to a program that is an match exclusive and they called me for the interview. What should I do with the other program that does not participate in the match? Or should I contact the program director and raise the issue?

Hello, by mistake, I applied to a program that is an match exclusive and they called me for the interview. What should I do with the other program that does not participate in the match? Or should I contact the program director and raise the issue?
If you don't mind, which programs are match exclusive?

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone knows how programs rank candidates. What proportion of those interviewed end up matching to a program? And what's the average number of interviews required to match into a program? Thanks for your anticipated feedback.

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone knows how programs rank candidates. What proportion of those interviewed end up matching to a program? And what's the average number of interviews required to match into a program? Thanks for your anticipated feedback.

I think you might apply to one program, interview, and get accepted if you are a good fit to them. Your credentials, interests (if applying to research degree) and your personality during the interview determines how many you need to consider. You might apply to 1 and get an offer, or might apply to 50 and get none. That is purely my opinion.

I think you might apply to one program, interview, and get accepted if you are a good fit to them. Your credentials, interests (if applying to research degree) and your personality during the interview determines how many you need to consider. You might apply to 1 and get an offer, or might apply to 50 and get none. That is purely my opinion.
Thank you for sharing your opinion

• Care
Hi everyone! Does anyone know the order in which residency programs invite candidates? Do they prefer to interview their top candidates first, or the invitation is random? what proportion of candidates get invited to interview? and what proportion of interviewed candidates end up matching? Thanks for your feedback.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know the order in which residency programs invite candidates? Do they prefer to interview their top candidates first, or the invitation is random? what proportion of candidates get invited to interview? and what proportion of interviewed candidates end up matching? Thanks for your feedback.
I really doubt that anyone would know exactly what's going on with each program. However, you'd need to know how many residents are accepted in any particular program to get an estimate of how many they'd consider for an interview. The majority have 3 positions, though some have only 2 and others have 4, 5, 6 or even 10 (NYU). So this plays a role on how many candidates they would invite.
As for the matching numbers, it is actually available on their website. Yearly they would release stats for everything you might want to know.

Any more invites?
I know that in the past, San Antonio would have you prepare a tooth on a typodont in person on the tabletop. Because they don't have the ability to assess you in person they won't be doing that this year.

Additionally, they used to have the interviewees make a short presentation (max 15 minutes) on whatever topic they chose to present to the residents and faculty. Didn't have to be dental-related. While this is still possible via Zoom, I haven't received any confirmation that they will be doing this either. I will update if I get any more info

I really doubt that anyone would know exactly what's going on with each program. However, you'd need to know how many residents are accepted in any particular program to get an estimate of how many they'd consider for an interview. The majority have 3 positions, though some have only 2 and others have 4, 5, 6 or even 10 (NYU). So this plays a role on how many candidates they would invite.
As for the matching numbers, it is actually available on their website. Yearly they would release stats for everything you might want to know.
Thank you for your response. It's quite helpful!

I know that in the past, San Antonio would have you prepare a tooth on a typodont in person on the tabletop. Because they don't have the ability to assess you in person they won't be doing that this year.

Additionally, they used to have the interviewees make a short presentation (max 15 minutes) on whatever topic they chose to present to the residents and faculty. Didn't have to be dental-related. While this is still possible via Zoom, I haven't received any confirmation that they will be doing this either. I will update if I get any more info
This is very helpful! Do they pre-inform candidates about the presentation, or they want it to be impromptu? Do they interview candidates in batches, or everyone gets interviewed on the same day? I know some people have an interview on 9/16. Is there another interview date?

Hi Guys!! Any interview updates for this week?

It’s a bit odd they would accept the application and the application fee and then decline to consider the application :/

Anyone heard anything from Washington or UNC or UCLA?

this year is definitely and anomaly. invites are usually out by august and the month is almost over.
I'm waiting to hear back from Rutgurs and NYU specifically, Nothing so far.
Columbia sent a confirmation email yesterday saying my application is complete although they did send me the same a month and a half ago and now i'm beyond confused....

however, I pray for all of us to have patience and success.

Reactions: 5 users
this year is definitely and anomaly. invites are usually out by august and the month is almost over.
I'm waiting to hear back from Rutgurs and NYU specifically, Nothing so far.
Columbia sent a confirmation email yesterday saying my application is complete although they did send me the same a month and a half ago and now i'm beyond confused....

however, I pray for all of us to have patience and success.
They sent me the same email which is confusing. But it is not the same as the one before so maybe it is a different step maybe?

Hey! is anyone interviewing at the Houston VA tomorrow? Could you let us know how the interview goes? also those who have interviewed at USC and Iowa, could you let us know how the interview went? Thank you!

Hey! is anyone interviewing at the Houston VA tomorrow? Could you let us know how the interview goes? also those who have interviewed at USC and Iowa, could you let us know how the interview went? Thank you!
I was blown away by the USC interview. The two program directors are are still in private practice which speaks very loudly to me. They primarily do fixed with bare # of removable. They have a very good tradition of putting out excellent prosthodontist. The only downside to this program is the ~$450K price tag....

Iowa's was very short (15 minutes) with direct questions. It was nice and friendly. USC was about 50 minutes, with a couple scientific questions and a discussion about the type of cases they do there. They asked about my research and told me to talk about why I chose prosthodontics.

Overall both interviews were cool and calm.

Reactions: 3 users