**Official 2021 Prosthodontics PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was blown away by the USC interview. The two program directors are are still in private practice which speaks very loudly to me. They primarily do fixed with bare # of removable. They have a very good tradition of putting out excellent prosthodontist. The only downside to this program is the ~$450K price tag....
That sounds amazing, it sounds like a really good program, if it’s worth it to you, then it’s worth it! Did you also get scientific questions? Like was it stuff you knew off the top of your head or did you study?

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa's was very short (15 minutes) with direct questions. It was nice and friendly. USC was about 50 minutes, with a couple scientific questions and a discussion about the type of cases they do there. They asked about my research and told me to talk about why I chose prosthodontics.

Overall both interviews were cool and calm.
Wow 15 mins? I have schools saying it’s going to go from 8am to 3pm, I hope it’s shorter! Thank you for sharing! Really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow 15 mins? I have schools saying it’s going to go from 8am to 3pm, I hope it’s shorter! Thank you for sharing! Really appreciate it.
Well, they mentioned that they might do an in-person interview later on, but I still havent heard more about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds amazing, it sounds like a really good program, if it’s worth it to you, then it’s worth it! Did you also get scientific questions? Like was it stuff you knew off the top of your head or did you study?
They asked me questions about dental materials and treatment planning.... They basically wanted me to tell them everything I knew about that topic...did you get the same?

They asked me questions about dental materials and treatment planning.... They basically wanted me to tell them everything I knew about that topic...did you get the same?
My first interview is actually on Friday, I’ll update y’all on how it goes!

1. Ohio State University: 09/ 14, 21, 28 (email and over zoom)
2. University of Iowa: 08/ 7 (email and over zoom)
3. Herman Ostrow of USC: 07/27 to 08/13 (email and over zoom)
4. Marquette University: 08/31 or 09/1,2 ( email and over GoToMeeting)
5. Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center: 08/28, 09/04, 09/18 (email and zoom/in person)
6. Texas A&M College of Dentistry: 10/12 (email and zoom)
7. University of Pittsburgh: Mid-September (email and zoom)
8. UT San Antonio: 9/16 (email and zoom)
9. University of Maryland: 9/15, 9/17 (call and zoom)
10. University of Illinois Chicago (UIC): 09/08, 09/11, 09/15, 09/18 (email and zoom)
11. UConn: two day interview 09/21-09/22 or 09/28-09/29 (email and webex)

Heard back from UIC (08/21), Maryland received a call (08/21) and UConn (today)

Last edited:
Well, they mentioned that they might do an in-person interview later on, but I still havent heard more about that.
Iowa sent out an email invitation for in-person interviews but the following day cancelled them due to covid restrictions in come states. They will be making their decisions based off of the preliminary 15 min interview.

I heard NYU also sent out a interview date. Any news?

Iowa sent out an email invitation for in-person interviews but the following day cancelled them due to covid restrictions in come states. They will be making their decisions based off of the preliminary 15 min interview.

When did you interview and when did you get the email for the in person?

Members don't see this ad :)
5. Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center: 08/28, 09/04, 09/18 (email and zoom/in person)
10. University of Illinois Chicago (UIC): 09/08, 09/11, 09/15, 09/18 (email and zoom)
12. Loma Linda University: 09/16 (email and over zoom)

Received LLU Invitation on 08/28 via email.

Hi Guys!! I applied to 13 Prosthodontics programs this year.
I already received invitation to interview from these:
-Boston University (they do not participate in match)
-Harvard School of Dental Medicine
-Marquette
-University of Lousville

Hoping more interviews coming soon...

BTW, did anyone apply to North Carolina, Alabama, Maryland or NOVA??? Any invitations to interview?

Hello, by mistake, I applied to a program that is an match exclusive and they called me for the interview. What should I do with the other program that does not participate in the match? Or should I contact the program director and raise the issue?

The same thing happened to me. BU already interviewed me, and they will complete the interviews and send offers to candidates in about 3 weeks (first batch) then the next batch. Basically, if they offer you a position, you have one week to take the decisiton to either accept the program or take the risk to go to match. If you accept the offer you have to withdraw your rank from match.

I feel my interview went really well, and now I am worry that I am stuck in a super expensive program. At the same time I am nervous to take the risk to go to match and then don't match. BU costs are super high. I didn't consider my finantial status when I applied. I just wanted to take all my chances.

-Marquette
-University of Lousville

BTW, did anyone apply to North Carolina, Alabama, Maryland or NOVA??? Any invitations to interview?
Congrats! I applied to Maryland and got an invitation for 09/17. When do you interview with Marquette?

Last edited:
-Marquette
-University of Lousville

I got an invitation call from Maryland almost two weeks ago. Nothing from UNC though. Is Harvard done sending out interviews?

The same thing happened to me. BU already interviewed me, and they will complete the interviews and send offers to candidates in about 3 weeks (first batch) then the next batch. Basically, if they offer you a position, you have one week to take the decisiton to either accept the program or take the risk to go to match. If you accept the offer you have to withdraw your rank from match.

I feel my interview went really well, and now I am worry that I am stuck in a super expensive program. At the same time I am nervous to take the risk to go to match and then don't match. BU costs are super high. I didn't consider my finantial status when I applied. I just wanted to take all my chances.

Misslee,

This is a tough decision but you may want to ask yourself if BU is somewhere you would be happy to attend. In my opinion, there is a position available somewhere for all of us. It just comes down to finding the right fit. BU has certainly put you in a predicament, but if it is not high on your ranks already, I would think twice about withdrawing from the match. The BU residency position is also 4 years, so worst-case scenario, you reject BU and go unmatched. Would you be prepared to go through the application cycle once more and gain experience in private practice? You would not really lose a year in this sense assuming you would match to a program in the second cycle. Nevertheless, it is a tough situation but thankfully, one that you do not yet have to ponder.

Kill the interviews everyone!

I got an invitation call from Maryland almost two weeks ago. Nothing from UNC though. Is Harvard done sending out interviews?
I don't think they are done yet. They gave me three options to choose. I chose September 21st, but I haven't received confirmation from them yet.

Misslee,

This is a tough decision but you may want to ask yourself if BU is somewhere you would be happy to attend. In my opinion, there is a position available somewhere for all of us. It just comes down to finding the right fit. BU has certainly put you in a predicament, but if it is not high on your ranks already, I would think twice about withdrawing from the match. The BU residency position is also 4 years, so worst-case scenario, you reject BU and go unmatched. Would you be prepared to go through the application cycle once more and gain experience in private practice? You would not really lose a year in this sense assuming you would match to a program in the second cycle. Nevertheless, it is a tough situation but thankfully, one that you do not yet have to ponder.

Kill the interviews everyone!

Dear Shahed,
Thank you SO much for you kind advice. I totally agreed with you! it is not even high on my rank. I needed to read this from someone else. BTW, it is a three year program with the option to add a fourth year (Master). It not mandatory though. Their average cost for the three year program is 260K TO 280K without including personal and living expenses. I mean, is it really worthy?

Last edited:
Dear Shahed,
Thank you SO much for you kind advice. I totally agreed with you! it is not even high on my rank. I needed to read this from someone else. BTW, it is a three year program with the option to add a fourth year (Master). It not mandatory though. Their average cost for the three year program is 290K TO 300K without including personal and living expenses. I mean, is it really worthy?
MissLee,

You are correct! I assumed most applicants are after the MSD as well since that is the case with me but I suppose it can easily be a 3-year program as well. If BU is not high on your rank, then perhaps it is wise to hold out. Judging by your remaining interviews, I would say that you are most likely a competitive applicant that will do well with the match!

MissLee,

You are correct! I assumed most applicants are after the MSD as well since that is the case with me but I suppose it can easily be a 3-year program as well. If BU is not high on your rank, then perhaps it is wise to hold out. Judging by your remaining interviews, I would say that you are most likely a competitive applicant that will do well with the match!
I really appreciate your feedback. THANKS!

Hey guys! I just received another invitation:
Indiana University. Sept, 30th.

Any update?

13. Indiana University: 09/23, 09/30 (email and zoom)

Heard back from Indiana with an official date.

Anyone have their interview with Marquette yet?
I did. It was like an hour and half with the director, some faculty, residents and staff. It was more of them telling me about the program and I was actually the one who asked the questions. But in general no tough questions or anything like that. Just relax and you will be fine.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
14. University of Houston: 9/21 (email and zoom)

Just heard from Houston!

I did. It was like an hour and half with the director, some faculty, residents and staff. It was more of them telling me about the program and I was actually the one who asked the questions. But in general no tough questions or anything like that. Just relax and you will be fine.
Good luck!
Thank you! :)

When is the best time to enquire about the tuition fees of a program? Before or after the interview?

When is the best time to enquire about the tuition fees of a program? Before or after the interview?
Seems like tuition required programs tell you about their cost... if they dont bring it up, I would bring it up at the end.

Thank you! I was worried that asking about this would leave a negative impression meaning I can’t afford it...

14. University of Houston: 9/21 (email and zoom)

Just heard from Houston!
AMAZING, congratulations on your interviews!! May I ask, how many programs did you apply to?

Ohhh!! I thought you have 14 interviews hahaha! Good luck with all of them
Oh no! We’ve been updating the list so everyone can know what schools have sent out invites, if you have the time you can add any invites you’ve gotten to the list to keep everyone on thesame page! Thank you and good luck with yours as well!

Nothing from Tufts, Georgia, UNC, San Francisco or Rochester?

Nothing from Tufts, Georgia, UNC, San Francisco or Rochester?

UNC said they're still reviewing applications as of this morning. Others I'm not sure. Has anyone heard from UCLA, Washington, or Columbia?

Maybe the pandemic situation is making everything more slowly than usual.

What about Alabama? This waiting is killing me

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to NYU, Rutgers, Columbia, and Boston.
yet to hear from any of them. Boston’s Periodontics sent their invites but Idk about Pros.. sigh.

This is very helpful! Do they pre-inform candidates about the presentation, or they want it to be impromptu? Do they interview candidates in batches, or everyone gets interviewed on the same day? I know some people have an interview on 9/16. Is there another interview date?
they were previously pre-informed so you had time to prepare. I just interviewed and there was no such presentation. there was a batch of interviewees with me, and there are multiple interview dates for San Antonio

they were previously pre-informed so you had time to prepare. I just interviewed and there was no such presentation. there was a batch of interviewees with me, and there are multiple interview dates for San Antonio
Can you please share with us what was the interview like. Were there questions about the field of Prostho or was it just questions to get to know you and things of that sort?