**Official 2022 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although my stomach has been flipping for the past couple weeks, I’m wishing everyone in this thread the best as Friday approaches. Our lives are going to be forever changed, and I’m just hoping everyone attends the program that they want to go to so that they can be the best orthodontist that they can be ❤️

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else only get one interview? I’m STRESSING stressing

Reactions: 1 users
Ughhhh I keep counting down the days. Longest week ever 🥴
taking too long hurry up GIF by Chelsea Handler

Reactions: 7 users
Hi Doctors,

I need your advice, please !! I know you have a lot of experience.

I am a foreign-trained orthodontist and I applied for 47 orthodontic programs and I got one interview only.... and after all, I wasn't chosen.

What is the best thing I can do right now ?? Internships, fellowships .... !!!

Although my resume was strong, I felt that they need me to have some kind of fellowship here in the US.

I really want to hear your advice on how to be accepted next year.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Doctors,

I am a foreign-trained orthodontist and I applied for 47 orthodontic programs and I got one interview only.... and after all, I wasn't chosen.

Although my resume was strong, I felt that they need me to have some kind of fellowship here in the US.

Thank you in advance.
Hey when did you receive your result?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Doctors,

Thank you in advance.
A 1-year internship/fellowship and strong LORs might be a good place to start. Good letters of recommendations from orthodontists or ortho program faculty help boost your application, in my opinion. And showing recent efforts to pursue ortho in the US can only help you. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone from the OMFS peeps!! I can’t wait until January haha very envious of you all.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hey when did you receive your result?
The international applicants in
UCLA don't join the match system.
I emailed them and they told me that the decision has been made for the internationals.

A 1-year internship/fellowship and strong LORs might be a good place to start. Good letters of recommendations from orthodontists or ortho program faculty help boost your application, in my opinion. And showing recent efforts to pursue ortho in the US can only help you. Best of luck to you!
Thank you very much ... You are great

anyone got the list of post-match positions available for all specialities? very curious

Surprised it isn't more after they expanded to 36 seats. Can't believe 26 people are willing to swallow that tuition.
Well they offer full scholarship to one resident and it is diversity based. Just discovered that today!

Unfortunately yes. They expanded in 2020 from 18 residents per class to 36.

I think I’m more surprised at the fact that 36 kids are able to self-fund this through private loans, family support, etc. the fees are insane. I don’t think they offer governmental loan support. Cant imagine you get a good education there. America baby!!!

Last edited:
Lol that makes up for it ?
It might matter to a person who could save 200-300k on Ortho residency at other schools. About the rest 35 students of course not! ( also this scholarship thing is only for the students who get in through match of odds 1/25)
Just from my perspective, I would have applied to GSO had I known about the scholarship. Ranked it the last, but yes its a chance thing.

Hi Doctors,

Thank you in advance.

You should also look into doing an IDP. Having a DDS from a US/Canadian school will make you an equal applicant. Doing an orthodontic fellowship is not a guarantee of acceptance. A lot of these "fellowships" have been created in the last 10 - 15 years because they are a money maker for the department. If you can find an AEGD or a GPR that takes foreign trained dentists, that would be a good experience as well.

10 spots remaining in Georgia program is a bit shocking. Does this mean almost everyone who participated in the match pretty much matched somewhere? And whoever didn't match can just choose to take a spot at the Georgia program assuming they are willing to pay the tuition?

10 spots remaining in Georgia program is a bit shocking. Does this mean almost everyone who participated in the match pretty much matched somewhere? And whoever didn't match can just choose to take a spot at the Georgia program assuming they are willing to pay the tuition?
Yes

No. People who didn’t interview with GSO at all could have not matched at any program. There are certainly a certain number of people who did not match anywhere and will be going after the post match spots at WVU, UNLV, and GSO

Any insight as to why the UNLV and WVU ortho spots weren’t filled? Does this mean not enough applicants ranked them high enough to match?
It’s possible those programs didn’t rank that many applicants.

Well you can check the statistics through the dental match website... almost 42% of applicants who ranked programs didn't get matched anywhere (593 applicants ranked programs and only 331 applicants got matched). Sometimes the programs don't rank many applicants and would end up having unfilled positions.

Got an offer from Colorado on Friday evening. I matched to my #1 and won't be accepting this offer. Hopefully the spot goes to someone! Just a heads up to anyone who interviewed there and didn't hear from them yet. Good luck!

Anyone heard back from west virginia university for post-match positions?

Does anyone know how the post match process work? Like are they supposed to be sending out interview invites rig away or are they waiting till after December?

Anyone received invitations for internships or fellowships in orthodontics?

What’s the best way to find out who our co-residents are gonna be?

Reactions: 2 users
You should also look into doing an IDP. Having a DDS from a US/Canadian school will make you an equal applicant. Doing an orthodontic fellowship is not a guarantee of acceptance. A lot of these "fellowships" have been created in the last 10 - 15 years because they are a money maker for the department. If you can find an AEGD or a GPR that takes foreign trained dentists, that would be a good experience as well.
Thank you so much for your advice