**Official 2022 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ortho-ftd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we are into the drill for next year's cycle, thought of starting the thread!

Editing the post with invitations and dates from 2022 cycle:

1. 7/28(email) University of Oklahoma 10/21 or 11/5
2. 8/2(email) University of Texas San Antonio in person "get to know you" visits in August and September followed by October zoom interview
3. 8/4(email) Iowa 9/10
4. 8/25(email) University of Colorado 9/30 or 10/1 or 10/4 in-person interview
5. 8/30(email) University of Illinois at Chicago 10/13 or 10/14 or 10/15
6. 8/31(email) Medical University of South Carolina 10/15 or 10/22
7. 9/1(email) Indiana University School of Dentistry 10/7 and 10/8 in-person interview
8. 9/1(email) Seton Hill University 9/24 and 9/25
9. 9/2(unknown) UBC 10/30 virtual interview
10. 9/7 (email) Mayo Clinic 10/8 or 10/15 virtual interview
11. 9/8 (email) UMKC 10/18 in person interview with resident social night before
12. 9/8 (call) Pitt “visit” and interview Nov 5th or 8th
13. 9/10 (email) Arizona in-person interview Oct 4th or 5th
14. 9/13 (email) Washington virtual interview Oct 11th with Oct 10th virtual social
15. 9/13 (email) OHSU virtual interview Oct 13th or 14th
16. 9/13 (call and email) University of Kentucky virtual interview Oct 25 or 26 w/virtual social Oct 24
17. 9/14 (email) University of Tennessee in-person interview Oct 18 w/ social Oct 17th
18. 9/14 (email) University of Florida Oct 18th with social Oct 17th
19. 9/15 (phone) University of Michigan Oct 11th or 18th virtual interview
20. 9/15 (phone) UNC-Chapel Hill Oct 18 or 19 virtual interview
21. 9/16 (phone) Nebraska Oct 5 or 6 virtual interview
22. 9/17 (email) Columbia University Oct. 18 or 19 virtual interview
23. 9/17 (phone) Texas A&M Oct. 26, 27, or 28 in-person interview
24. 9/17 (E-mail) Ohio State - October 11, 12 via zoom
25. 9/17 (email) LSU October 21st or 22nd in person interview or Zoom if preferred
26. 9/17 (email) UCSF October 26 or 27 virtual interview
27. 9/17 (email) UCLA October 4 or 5 with virtual meet and greet on Oct 3rd
28. 9/20 (email) UTSD Houston October 13/14 or 14/15, in person with social the night before
29. 9/20 (email) Boston University November 1 zoom interview
30. 9/21 (email) CWRU Oct 27 or 28 in-person interview with social on the evening of the 27th
31. 9/22 (email) St. Barnabas Oct 20 zoom with social on the evening of Oct 18 or 19
32. 9/22 (email) Buffalo Oct 15 or 18th in person interview
33. 9/22 (email) UOP Oct 18 or 19 in person with social the night before
34. 9/23 (call and email) Roseman Oct 12 or 13 zoom with social on the afternoon of each day
35. 9/24 (email) NOVA Oct 22nd virtual interview with social
36. 9/24 (email) Marquette October 21 or 22 in person social on Oct. 21st evening
37. 9/27 (email) Montefiore October 6th or 8th virtual interview
38. 9/27 (phone) Loma Linda Oct 18 or 19 on zoom
39. 9/27 (email) NOVA ROUND 2, Oct 28th virtual interview with social
40. 9/27 (email) University of Alabama at Birmingham, October 21st or 22nd
41. 9/28 (email) University of Maryland, Oct. 20 or 21 in-person, with social the day before
42. 9/28 (email) NOVA ROUND 3, Nov 1 virtual interview with social
43. 9/29 (email) University of Connecticut, virtual 10/21 or 10/22
44. 9/29 (email) VCU, in person 10/28 AND 10/29
45. 9/30 (email) Saint Louis University, virtual 10/25-10/28
46. 9/30 (email) Rochester, virtual 10/14 or 10/18
47. 9/30 (phone) Albert Einstein, interview offered, declined invite (didn't hear dates), all virtual
48. 10/1 (email) Rutgers, virtual 10/20 or 10/22
49. 10/1 (phone) BronxCare, in-person 10/20 with social the day before
50. 10/2 (email) Tufts University, virtual 10/28 and 10/29 with virtual social and school tour
51. 10/4 (email) University of Pennsylvania, Oct. 20 virtual
52. 10/4 (email) University of Detroit Mercy, 11/4 or 11/5 virtual
53. 10/4 (email) West Virginia University, 10/25 virtual
54. 10/6 (email) Jacksonville, October 12-14 virtual
55. 10/6 (email) Stony Brook, Nov 4th virtual (email mentioned 10/28 as a date as well)
56. 9/29 (email) University of Minnesota 10/25 in person
57. 10/11 (email) Georgia School of Orthodontics, Nov 1-5 virtual

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I noticed some programs say that they require DAT scores, but there is nowhere in PASS to enter them. Can anyone shed some light on whether they want unofficial copies sent to them directly or if we need to send them official scores through the ADA?

I noticed some programs say that they require DAT scores, but there is nowhere in PASS to enter them. Can anyone shed some light on whether they want unofficial copies sent to them directly or if we need to send them official scores through the ADA?
DAT or ADAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word from any schools on if interviews are likely in person or on Zoom?

Any word from any schools on if interviews are likely in person or on Zoom?

The 2 year program that I am starting at in a couple weeks will be doing in person interviews this fall. I don’t know what that says about other schools, but there’s one data point for you

Reactions: 1 users
The 2 year program that I am starting at in a couple weeks will be doing in person interviews this fall. I don’t know what that says about other schools, but there’s one data point for you
Which school are you starting at.

Reactions: 1 user
What all programs are not in PASS but are in MATCH?

Marquette, Montefiore, and Oklahoma off the top of my head. I think there’s a few more

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about externships, both virtual and in-person, available for this cycle?

Just got my GRE score back, get V162, Q166, but my AWA is only 3.5 since English is not my native language. Should I retake the GRE?

As per last year's thread...Oklahoma gave out interview invites on 6/18. Any insights for this year?

any one have an idea of how many programs to apply to in regards to a "you're getting into ortho" applicant vs a competitive applicant vs wishful thinker? lol

any one have an idea of how many programs to apply to in regards to a "you're getting into ortho" applicant vs a competitive applicant vs wishful thinker? lol
One of our top 5 out of 130+ with great extracurricular involvement didn’t get into ortho last year. She regretted not applying more broadly. I think there may not be such thing as a “you’re getting into ortho” applicant. Be humble and plan accordingly

Reactions: 5 users
One of our top 5 out of 130+ with great extracurricular involvement didn’t get into ortho last year. She regretted not applying more broadly. I think there may not be such thing as a “you’re getting into ortho” applicant. Be humble and plan accordingly
i'm the wishful thinker category -- thankss!

What section of the app do you put CE you've done, and conferences you've attended? Extracurricular activities? Or Dental Experience?

In the ADEA PASS Help page it says Dental Experience means "Both paid and unpaid work in a dental field where you were directly responsible for a patient's care" which doesn't sound like CE...

For reference, my class rank was quite low (around the mid 30s out of about 95 people) so I applied to about 32 schools last cycle. Ended up with 5 interviews and matched.

I would apply to around 30 if you aren't in the top 25% of your class. Better safe than sorry

Reactions: 6 users
for rochester do we submit a 2x2 photo or no? if so, did you mail it or email it?

UNC requires some supplemental items to be sent, one of which includes a self addressed and self stamped postcard....does this literally mean a post card? So I should just find a nice inoffensive landscape postcard to send them?

UNC requires some supplemental items to be sent, one of which includes a self addressed and self stamped postcard....does this literally mean a post card? So I should just find a nice inoffensive landscape postcard to send them?
Yes

Can you please share the source? Both natmatch and UNLV's website says that it does not participate in the national MATCH
It should appear on the list of programs participating in Match after August 1st when they update the NatMatch website. The program is switching to Match for the first time this year.

I feel a smidge out of the loop when it comes to applying to ortho as I've been out of school a while and don't have fellow applicants to bounce ideas off of. I have a few questions.
*Some programs say to submit GRE scores on PASS but there is no place to and I can't find the codes either. Any recommendations?
*Some say to submit to the program itself, but again, there's no code listed. What should I do here?
* Anyone have a list of which programs require GRE? I have started a spreadsheet but with nearly 60 programs, its taking a bit.
Thanks in advance

I feel a smidge out of the loop when it comes to applying to ortho as I've been out of school a while and don't have fellow applicants to bounce ideas off of. I have a few questions.
*Some programs say to submit GRE scores on PASS but there is no place to and I can't find the codes either. Any recommendations?
*Some say to submit to the program itself, but again, there's no code listed. What should I do here?
* Anyone have a list of which programs require GRE? I have started a spreadsheet but with nearly 60 programs, its taking a bit.
Thanks in advance
You can submit unofficial scores on ADEA pass directly under "Academic history" --> "Standardized testing".
I have seen some codes listed on a few websites - maybe email/call to see if you could find out

Why make a list for all the programs? I believe most programs do require GRE; may not idk. I just looked up the programs I was interested in

Do most programs send application complete notification or do we have to follow-up with them about the same?

Do most programs send application complete notification or do we have to follow-up with them about the same?
I have the same concern. Got no confirmation email.

Some programs will send an app complete, some don’t. Some send them in a timely manner, others do not. If it’s about a week away from the school’s deadline and you haven’t gotten a complete email, then give them a call or send an email (unless they specifically say not to do that. Some schools explicitly state to not contact them about completion so be sure to read carefully)

Am I reading correctly that the University of Tennessee program wants us to hand write this supplemental essay? I don't think I have hand written anything in my whole dental school career :rofl:

Can you please share the source? Both natmatch and UNLV's website says that it does not participate in the national MATCH
UNLV student here - personally confirmed by faculty and on PASS program search engine

As per last year's thread...Oklahoma gave out interview invites on 6/18. Any insights for this year?
I'm still wondering about this as well. The last two years they have been out by now. I know their program director changed and I don't know if that has made a difference but I am interested if anyone has heard from them.

Anyone having issues with USPS getting supplementals to programs?
This is for my UCLA supplemental application. I wonder if UCLA requests that the post office holds mail going to the address they designate. That way they can pick up all the applications at the same time, when ready to review them. ???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.37.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.37.17 PM.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 190
I believe the following are:

Ohio State
Univ of the Pacific
Michigan
Houston ("preference will be given to Match-only applicants")
VCU (maybe?)

This isn't all-inclusive
Iowa , UIC, Indiana as well. Every year it appears that there are more MATCH only programs.

Iowa , UIC, Indiana as well. Every year it appears that there are more MATCH only programs.
More are saying that candidates who apply to match only programs will have preference over those who don’t as well

Do programs have a way to know where all one is applying?
I think they do. The ortho director at my school told me that some schools won't even interview you if they see you are applying to non-match schools. Not sure how they would know unless they have a way to see all the schools you apply to.

However, for Tennessee's app they have you send in a signed and dated statement saying "I am" or "I am not" applying exclusively to match programs so. If they could see all schools you are applying to I'm not sure why the would have you do that. Maybe they ask at the interviews or something bc I'm not sure how they could say they give preference to certain people if they have no idea who those people are lol.