**Official 2022 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@blablabla1 has brought an interesting opinion concerning his preference for 2 years programs. I’ve been lurking on the forum, and wanted to let people know why I personally prefer 3-year programs.

Orthodontics is a specialty that requires patient follow-up of several years. Once the patient is in braces/clear aligners, the treatment usually lasts 2 years. When you have a more complicated case (ie. impacted canine) it may take up to 3 years (or even more!).

When you start your residency, you don’t start all your patients. You start them little by little, each program has a minimum set amount of patients they give to each resident (some are 20, 40, 60, 80 and so on!) and you don’t start all those patients on your first month of residency. If you’re on the higher end of patient numbers, I’m sure you’re still bonding even 8 months into residency! So imagine the estimate date for debonding.

You may be starting all those patients, but if you graduate before you finish their treatment, you won’t be finishing your own patients! I believe knowing how to finish your own cases is very important. It’s like prepping a crown but never cementing it at the end (you get the idea, not as extreme scenario though). Yes, you get transfer cases from your upper classmates, where you do end up finishing their cases, or even your own cases if they were easy treatments to begin with. But I feel that you learn the most from starting your own cases and finishing them, especially with the harder treatment plans, which are the ones you end up learning the most from.

You may be burnt out from all those years in school, and finally want to get into the work force, and get done asap with residency, but at the end, Orthodontics is going to be the job you’ll be doing for the rest of your life! And you want to be confident doing your job and be well trained! In dental school, if you graduate and don’t feel confident enough to start working, you can always do a GPR or an AEGD. After your graduate from Ortho, you don’t have those programs that can give you a boost (unless you do some sort of fellowship, but it’s not the same as once again, finishing your cases is important imho). Maybe if you have a relative that is already an Orthodontist, it could be of some help, but nothing can beat the knowledge and help you get in residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Most 2 year cases are anywhere from 18-24 months depending on patient compliance. You can and should finish 15+ phase ii/comp cases in a 2 year program. That doesn't include transfers. You will be finishing a bunch of those, too.

Most learning is done outside of residency anyways, so pick a shorter program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would like to know if it is extremely hard to specialize in ortho at Detroit Mercy dental? Could you give me a detailed expression of how does MATCH/PASS play a role in a school that u dream of being an orthodontist? My first choice is UDM, 2nd BU, 3rd Temple, 4th Indiana, 5th Marquette?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an email update concerning details of Minnesota’s social and interview?

@blablabla1 has brought an interesting opinion concerning his preference for 2 years programs. I’ve been lurking on the forum, and wanted to let people know why I personally prefer 3-year programs.

Orthodontics is a specialty that requires patient follow-up of several years. Once the patient is in braces/clear aligners, the treatment usually lasts 2 years. When you have a more complicated case (ie. impacted canine) it may take up to 3 years (or even more!).

When you start your residency, you don’t start all your patients. You start them little by little, each program has a minimum set amount of patients they give to each resident (some are 20, 40, 60, 80 and so on!) and you don’t start all those patients on your first month of residency. If you’re on the higher end of patient numbers, I’m sure you’re still bonding even 8 months into residency! So imagine the estimate date for debonding.

You may be starting all those patients, but if you graduate before you finish their treatment, you won’t be finishing your own patients! I believe knowing how to finish your own cases is very important. It’s like prepping a crown but never cementing it at the end (you get the idea, not as extreme scenario though). Yes, you get transfer cases from your upper classmates, where you do end up finishing their cases, or even your own cases if they were easy treatments to begin with. But I feel that you learn the most from starting your own cases and finishing them, especially with the harder treatment plans, which are the ones you end up learning the most from.

You may be burnt out from all those years in school, and finally want to get into the work force, and get done asap with residency, but at the end, Orthodontics is going to be the job you’ll be doing for the rest of your life! And you want to be confident doing your job and be well trained! In dental school, if you graduate and don’t feel confident enough to start working, you can always do a GPR or an AEGD. After your graduate from Ortho, you don’t have those programs that can give you a boost (unless you do some sort of fellowship, but it’s not the same as once again, finishing your cases is important imho). Maybe if you have a relative that is already an Orthodontist, it could be of some help, but nothing can beat the knowledge and help you get in residency.

Thank you for offering a counter perspective! It’s good for applicants to hear all of them.

What you’re saying is true about the number of cases you’ll finish start to finish in a 3 year vs 2 year residency. However, you will see more patients in a day outside of residency than you will finish in the entirety of your 3 year program. An orthodontic residency’s goal is to make you clinically competent. The bare minimum. The vast majority of your learning will come in your many years of practice after residency. And the 2 year programs accomplish this well

Another thing I’ll add, your learning style also comes into play when deciding between programs. Generally, 3 year programs, due to the luxury of time, have more structured classes and are able to get you into the clinic with some foundational knowledge first. 2 year programs are a bit more self learning because you get put into the clinic immediately and learn on the fly. Some 2 year programs don’t even have many structured courses and expect you to read literature on your own. The point is, make sure you do your due diligence on the learning style of each program so that you know it meshes well with your own

Reactions: 4 users
Literally anything from Howard or USC? On their website it says USC is planning on an in person interview Nov 8 and Howard Nov 4 and 5. Anyone have any insight?

Reactions: 4 users
Any word on University of Toronto? Have they already sent interview invites?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone…
I’m facing a dilemma here…. I did interview in both UNLV and Roseman University. Throughout the interview I felt that both programs are the same with pt pool and number of finished case… etc, now I have to rank one of them higher than the other and really not sure which program is better than the other. Money wise, I believe it’s almost the same. While Roseman pays you a stipend (not that much according to their residents) their third year is almost double the tuition for the third year at UNLV. I would really appreciate it if you guys can give some perspective on which program do you think is stronger and which should be ranked higher than the other.
Thank you very much for your help!

Is it expected to/should I contact the program directors to say that I intend on ranking their program?

1. 7/28(email) University of Oklahoma 10/21 or 11/5
2. 8/2(email) University of Texas San Antonio in person "get to know you" visits in August and September followed by October zoom interview
3. 8/4(email) Iowa 9/10
4. 8/25(email) University of Colorado 9/30 or 10/1 or 10/4 in-person interview
5. 8/30(email) University of Illinois at Chicago 10/13 or 10/14 or 10/15
6. 8/31(email) Medical University of South Carolina 10/15 or 10/22
7. 9/1(email) Indiana University School of Dentistry 10/7 and 10/8 in-person interview
8. 9/1(email) Seton Hill University 9/24 and 9/25
9. 9/2(unknown) UBC 10/30 virtual interview
10. 9/7 (email) Mayo Clinic 10/8 or 10/15 virtual interview
11. 9/8 (email) UMKC 10/18 in person interview with resident social night before
12. 9/8 (call) Pitt “visit” and interview Nov 5th or 8th
13. 9/10 (email) Arizona in-person interview Oct 4th or 5th
14. 9/13 (email) Washington virtual interview Oct 11th with Oct 10th virtual social
15. 9/13 (email) OHSU virtual interview Oct 13th or 14th
16. 9/13 (call and email) University of Kentucky virtual interview Oct 25 or 26 w/virtual social Oct 24
17. 9/14 (email) University of Tennessee in-person interview Oct 18 w/ social Oct 17th
18. 9/14 (email) University of Florida Oct 18th with social Oct 17th
19. 9/15 (phone) University of Michigan Oct 11th or 18th virtual interview
20. 9/15 (phone) UNC-Chapel Hill Oct 18 or 19 virtual interview
21. 9/16 (phone) Nebraska Oct 5 or 6 virtual interview
22. 9/17 (email) Columbia University Oct. 18 or 19 virtual interview
23. 9/17 (phone) Texas A&M Oct. 26, 27, or 28 in-person interview
24. 9/17 (E-mail) Ohio State - October 11, 12 via zoom
25. 9/17 (email) LSU October 21st or 22nd in person interview or Zoom if preferred
26. 9/17 (email) UCSF October 26 or 27 virtual interview
27. 9/17 (email) UCLA October 4 or 5 with virtual meet and greet on Oct 3rd
28. 9/20 (email) UTSD Houston October 13/14 or 14/15, in person with social the night before
29. 9/20 (email) Boston University November 1 zoom interview
30. 9/21 (email) CWRU Oct 27 or 28 in-person interview with social on the evening of the 27th
31. 9/22 (email) St. Barnabas Oct 20 zoom with social on the evening of Oct 18 or 19
32. 9/22 (email) Buffalo Oct 15 or 18th in person interview
33. 9/22 (email) UOP Oct 18 or 19 in person with social the night before
34. 9/23 (call and email) Roseman Oct 12 or 13 zoom with social on the afternoon of each day
35. 9/24 (email) NOVA Oct 22nd virtual interview with social
36. 9/24 (email) Marquette October 21 or 22 in person social on Oct. 21st evening
37. 9/27 (email) Montefiore October 6th or 8th virtual interview
38. 9/27 (phone) Loma Linda Oct 18 or 19 on zoom
39. 9/27 (email) NOVA ROUND 2, Oct 28th virtual interview with social
40. 9/27 (email) University of Alabama at Birmingham, October 21st or 22nd
41. 9/27 (email) UNLV, 10/22 (Virtual)
42. 9/28 (email) University of Maryland, Oct. 20 or 21 in-person, with social the day before
43. 9/28 (email) NOVA ROUND 3, Nov 1 virtual interview with social
44. 9/29 (email) University of Connecticut, virtual 10/21 or 10/22
45. 9/29 (email) VCU, in person 10/28 AND 10/29
46. 9/30 (email) Saint Louis University, virtual 10/25-10/28
47. 9/30 (email) Rochester, virtual 10/14 or 10/18
48. 9/30 (phone) Albert Einstein, interview offered, declined invite (didn't hear dates), all virtual
49. 10/1 (email) Rutgers, virtual 10/20 or 10/22
50. 10/1 (phone) BronxCare, in-person 10/20 with social the day before
51. 10/2 (email) Tufts University, virtual 10/28 and 10/29 with virtual social and school tour
52. 10/4 (email) University of Pennsylvania, Oct. 20 virtual
53. 10/4 (email) University of Detroit Mercy, 11/4 or 11/5 virtual
54. 10/4 (email) West Virginia University, 10/25 virtual
55. 10/6 (email) Jacksonville, October 12-14 virtual
56. 10/6 (email) Stony Brook, Nov 4th virtual (email mentioned 10/28 as a date as well)
57. 10/6 (email) Louisville, October 21st or 22nd virtual
58. 10/6 (email) Temple University, 10/26 & 10/20 (In person)
59. 10/6 (email) University of Minnesota, 10/24 social & 10/25 interview (in person)
60. 10/8 (email) New York University NYU, 10/21 social & 10/22 interview (virtual)
61. 10/12 (email) Maimonides Medical Center, 11/9 (virtual)
62. 10/12 (email) Harvard, 11/1 virtual (social also 11/1 in the evening)
63. 10/26 (email) Howard, 11/3 virtual

Members don't see this ad :)
7BC45CA1-B72B-4811-B145-F7C365C8EA9E.jpeg
Has USC send out interviews?

Anybody heard about CTOR? Did they get accredited?

not tryna be a negative Nancy but….submitted ranks yesterday and just wondering. Does anyone know if you still get an email if you don’t match? Or do you just get nothing lol

This may be a dumb question, but seeing people say they already submitted ranks..There’s no benefit to submitting ranks earlier is there? I was anticipating waiting until the 12th. It’s hard to decide the order!

not tryna be a negative Nancy but….submitted ranks yesterday and just wondering. Does anyone know if you still get an email if you don’t match? Or do you just get nothing lol
You will get an email if you don't match. Last year, the people who did not match got their emails a few minutes before people who did match.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a dumb question, but seeing people say they already submitted ranks..There’s no benefit to submitting ranks earlier is there? I was anticipating waiting until the 12th. It’s hard to decide the order!
Nope, no benefit in submitting your rank list earlier!

For clarity, match day is as follows (right?)

6am CST: emails are sent to the email you used for match if you matched or not
11am CST: post-match begins and we are allowed to contact program directors at programs we interviewed (or applied?) to?

Just wanted to make sure I am fully prepared!

Regarding everyone talking about rank: If a program seems like a giant $h!t show to you and you don’t want to go there, or you feel like they treated you unfairly, or you feel like you just don’t see yourself going there, or you just outright don’t like them, then just don’t rank them or rank them low.
Also, RANK YOUR FIRST CHOICE AS NUMBER ONE. Rank them as number one! I’ll say it again for the people in the back! But do not, and I repeat, do not rank a program before you interview there, if you don’t know how things are or you are unsure about them. Rule of thumb: if you didn’t like them on interview day don’t rank them at all or just rank them low.
Going off personal experience here. My first choice rank ended up Matching me. It was a good experience. Rank your first choice program as number one.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you get an email that says you didn't match and then a list of the post match options.

To follow up on the previous poster about ranking, here are some rules to follow.

1) Rank every interview. Every single one. Even if you thought the residents sucked at some program or the clinic was dirty or whatever. It is better to match ANYWHERE than to sit a year out.
2) Rank the programs in the order where you would like to attend. That's it. Here is a hypothetical situation where people screw this up - "Well I think this program in New York is going to rank me high so I should rank them #1 even though I really want to go to this program in California over the New York program so I guess I will put California #2." WRONG. Your rank list has nothing to do with the program's list. Put California #1, New York #2.
3) If you are still confused, send me a PM and I will be happy to help you understand. And I won't charge you $75 like some YouTuber or TikToker or whatever someone posted last year offering some session on "how to rank programs."

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To follow up on the previous poster about ranking, here are some rules to follow.

1) Rank every interview. Every single one. Even if you thought the residents sucked at some program or the clinic was dirty or whatever. It is better to match ANYWHERE than to sit a year out.
2) Rank the programs in the order where you would like to attend. That's it. Here is a hypothetical situation where people screw this up - "Well I think this program in New York is going to rank me high so I should rank them #1 even though I really want to go to this program in California over the New York program so I guess I will put California #2." WRONG. Your rank list has nothing to do with the program's list. Put California #1, New York #2.
3) If you are still confused, send me PM and I will be happy to help you understand. And I won't charge you $75 like some YouTuber or TikToker or whatever someone posted last year offering some session on "how to rank programs."
Gryffindor I disagree. If a clinic is dirty or the residents “suck”… do you really want to tell everyone to pay tuition to go to a program like that? The assumption here is that everyone has received a handful of interviews. My point was to rank the programs you REALLY want to go to as your top choices, and do not prioritize programs that are less than stellar in any way. Nobody wants to pay tuition to sit in a rotting institution with terrible equipment or residents who don’t make you feel welcome. Match ranking is THE APPLICANT’S time to truly express their desire to attend programs THEY LIKE. At the end of the day… the applicant’s ranking does not trump the ranking done by the ADCOM panel. This was my only point. Thanks for your clarification, I just wanted to add my own.

@BlackOrthoDocQueen

In your post, you repeatedly mention that it is OK to not rank a program. This is dangerous advice. Not everyone ranks at their first choice program like you. Half of those entering the match don’t match anywhere. If you really want to be an orthodontist, it is better to go to the “worst” place that you interviewed rather than risk being unmatched. If you don’t match, it absolutely sucks. There is no sugarcoating it. You get to take on the stress of reapplying and also sit out a year while working as a GP, biding your time in a GPR/AEGD, or paying for one of the “orthodontic fellowships” out there these days.

If the clinic is dirty, buy yourself some Cavi wipes and Windex. If the residents are unfriendly, then treat it like any other job. Show up, do your work, and look out for yourself while remembering that new residents will be coming next year so there is always a chance that there will be someone in that group without a giant ego.

Reactions: 5 users
@BlackOrthoDocQueen

In your post, you repeatedly mention that it is OK to not rank a program. This is dangerous advice. Not everyone ranks at their first choice program like you. Half of those entering the match don’t match anywhere. If you really want to be an orthodontist, it is better to go to the “worst” place that you interviewed rather than risk being unmatched. If you don’t match, it absolutely sucks. There is no sugarcoating it. You get to take on the stress of reapplying and also sit out a year while working as a GP, biding your time in a GPR/AEGD, or paying for one of the “orthodontic fellowships” out there these days.

If the clinic is dirty, buy yourself some Cavi wipes and Windex. If the residents are unfriendly, then treat it like any other job. Show up, do your work, and look out for yourself while remembering that new residents will be coming next year so there is always a chance that there will be someone in that group without a giant ego.
Ok I never said anything about ego but here we are. I just don’t think anyone should pay tuition to get a half-@$$ education at any school. There are ortho programs that are entirely terrible and if you’re paying to learn a trade that will be your livelihood, residency is not just about what you make it. It’s also about the technology and training available… it’s about the faculty at the school… it’s about the willingness of the program to do THEIR part for you. Everyone wants to match. But if you interviewed at 5+, 6+, 10+ schools……. Then you really want to rank the schools you loved best. The ones that are terrible I said to rank low (or just not rank them at all) because when you rank a school low the MATCH algorithm knows you aren’t interested. so let me rephrase… when you rank a school low, you’re still ranking it but you’re less likely to get stuck there. The MATCH is like a dating app. Rank highly the ones you have good suitability with and where you really want to go. If one or a few of the schools have red flags at the interview, don’t rank them highly.

Anyway, good luck everybody. Let’s refocus the energy here. Best of luck to all on the rest of your interviews.

Ok I never said anything about ego but here we are. I just don’t think anyone should pay tuition to get a half-@$$ education at any school. There are ortho programs that are entirely terrible and if you’re paying to learn a trade that will be your livelihood, residency is not just about what you make it. It’s also about the technology and training available… it’s about the faculty at the school… it’s about the willingness of the program to do THEIR part for you. Everyone wants to match. But if you interviewed at 5+, 6+, 10+ schools……. Then you really want to rank the schools you loved best. The ones that are terrible I said to rank low (or just not rank them at all) because when you rank a school low the MATCH algorithm knows you aren’t interested. so let me rephrase… when you rank a school low, you’re still ranking it but you’re less likely to get stuck there. The MATCH is like a dating app. Rank highly the ones you have good suitability with and where you really want to go. If one or a few of the schools have red flags at the interview, don’t rank them highly.

Anyway, good luck everybody. Let’s refocus the energy here. Best of luck to all on the rest of your interviews.

No you didn't say anything about egos, I did. I have heard applicants give all kinds of reasons of why they think a residency program is not ideal. Short of harassment and discrimination, I can't think of any other reason to not take the opportunity to be an orthodontist versus sitting out a year doing root canals on second molars. Yes, even if the training is supposedly inferior or the technology is not there or whatever. Residency is truly what you make of it.

Advising applicants to rank less desired programs lower on their lists is good advice. Advising them to not rank a program at all is dangerous advice. Not ranking a program should not be considered an option for the VAST majority of those submitting lists. Those people who are legacies at certain ortho programs are likely not here on SDN begging to swap interviews. They are probably the only applicants who could get away without ranking programs and still match at their first choice as the match is just a formality for those candidates to cement their legacy/celebrity acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
For non-match programs, how soon do interviewees typically receive an acceptance/rejection after interviews?

Sorry I gotta go with Gryffindor on this. All ortho programs except the newest pay to play ones are accredited. This means they meet a specific standard and will graduate you as a clinically competent orthodontist and the curriculum will all largely cover the same things. That doesn't mean all programs are equal because some definitely are stronger than others, but it does mean all these accredited programs will atleast make you an orthodontist that meets the standard of care. Short of something crazy like discrimination, not sterilizing equipment, program director sleeping with residents, the school's name is GSO, etc, there really is no reason to not rank the program.

I am assuming all applicants are passionate about the specialty, and if that is the case, not ranking a school because you thought the clinic was too run down or the residents weren't nice enough is asinine. If you are passionate about the specialty, you should rank every school you interview at because the end goal is to become an orthodontist.

I do absolutely agree you should rank your favorite program first, and go down the list from there

Does lots of technology/digital curriculum matter? It seems many private practices are shifting from traditional braces and doing a lot of invisalign an Itero/3D printing. If a program is heavy on traditional what is the stance on that? Probably should ask recent grads but not sure if anyone here has any insight
So the Orthodontist whom I work with and the others I talked with had an opinion that a program should be a mix of both traditional and modern technology. He recently bought a practice. It was about 40 years old. By the time he is working on renovating and setting it up, he is still using everything the previous Orthodontist had (including paper patient records). Since he was trained in both traditional and modern procedures, he was able to work around it and did not need to put in additional money immediately to modernize it.

Since people work at multiple clinics, knowing the basics help you to survive anywhere.

I do have a clear number one choice, but I would be the happiest matching ANYWHERE regardless.

Does lots of technology/digital curriculum matter? It seems many private practices are shifting from traditional braces and doing a lot of invisalign an Itero/3D printing. If a program is heavy on traditional what is the stance on that? Probably should ask recent grads but not sure if anyone here has any insight

No. Get accepted somewhere, anywhere and go from there. Even if your program does not offer the latest and greatest technology, the sales reps from those tech companies will attempt to wine and dine you so you use their products after graduation. When I was in residency, it was Sure Smile wires and Damon braces and courses from 3M and American Orthodontics on how to open a Taj Mahal practice stocked with their brackets and bands. These days its probably 3D printer companies and the other customized appliance companies out there including Invisalign since they want to sell you their scanners and their aligners.

Seriously, if there is still a program out there with film pan/cephs making you hand dip x-rays and solder your own fixed appliances, just go and don't think twice.

No. Get accepted somewhere, anywhere and go from there. Even if your program does not offer the latest and greatest technology, the sales reps from those tech companies will attempt to wine and dine you so you use their products after graduation. When I was in residency, it was Sure Smile wires and Damon braces and courses from 3M and American Orthodontics on how to open a Taj Mahal practice stocked with their brackets and bands. These days its probably 3D printer companies and the other customized appliance companies out there including Invisalign since they want to sell you their scanners and their aligners.

Seriously, if there is still a program out there with film pan/cephs making you hand dip x-rays and solder your own fixed appliances, just go and don't think twice.
What about GSO though?

What about GSO though?

Is it accredited? Ultimately that is all that matters to a licensing board. Patients don't know the difference at all.

We may hate on the principle of a program that is clearly a money grab, but history shows these programs don't go away. Once upon a time, Las Vegas, Colorado, and Jacksonville were met with the same derision as this new program. Those programs are still around so chances are GSO is going to be around too as long people keep paying to play.

Did anyone else not get the link for Detroit Mercy resident social? Was told it would be sent in a separate email than interview confirmation. Social is tonight, haven't heard anything and sent a few emails throughout the past few days.

Speaking of ranking list... I'm trying to decide between Tufts and University of Washington. Personally, I like both. Tufts is 2 years and more expensive, but adding back 1 more year of income, it makes more sense financially. City-wise, I am from Seattle and want to settle down in Seattle after residency, but I also don't mind living in Boston for 2 years. Boston is a great city. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated!

Speaking of ranking list... I'm trying to decide between Tufts and University of Washington. Personally, I like both. Tufts is 2 years and more expensive, but adding back 1 more year of income, it makes more sense financially. City-wise, I am from Seattle and want to settle down in Seattle after residency, but I also don't mind living in Boston for 2 years. Boston is a great city. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated!
Usually I recommend 2 years, but in your case I would recommend UW. Especially since you want to go back to Seattle. You can start making connections with dentists and orthodontists and that’s important.

Usually I recommend 2 years, but in your case I would recommend UW. Especially since you want to go back to Seattle. You can start making connections with dentists and orthodontists and that’s important.
Thank you!!!