*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, if I submit my application with my current MCAT score, and also state I am retaking in August, does that mean all the schools I apply to will not look at my application until the new score comes out? My current states are most likely good enough to land some interviews, so I dont want to throw that opportunity out just because I stated I am retaking. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

And this is better than submitting on June 1 then resubmitting new transcripts with spring grades? My spring semester ends on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure my grades will be ready before June 1, but just in case I would like to know.

It's not that it's better... it's just not any worse. You'll still be incredibly early if you submit a few days after June 1st. And you won't have to worry about sending another transcript... and about AACOMAS processing the updated one, which may cause some delay.

It's not that it's better... it's just not any worse. You'll still be incredibly early if you submit a few days after June 1st. And you won't have to worry about sending another transcript... and about AACOMAS processing the updated one, which may cause some delay.

Oh that makes sense.

So the earliest you can submit is June 1? Or the earliest you can be verified is June 1? In other words, can someone who finishes AACOMAS tomorrow be better off than someone who finishes on May 31?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, if I submit my application with my current MCAT score, and also state I am retaking in August, does that mean all the schools I apply to will not look at my application until the new score comes out? My current states are most likely good enough to land some interviews, so I dont want to throw that opportunity out just because I stated I am retaking. What should I do?

They'll look at your current score and if it's good enough to catch their interest, they'll still invite you for an interview. If it's not, they'll re-review your app when your new MCAT score comes in.

They'll look at your current score and if it's good enough to catch their interest, they'll still invite you for an interview. If it's not, they'll re-review your app when your new MCAT score comes in.

Perfecto, thanks

Oh that makes sense.

So the earliest you can submit is June 1? Or the earliest you can be verified is June 1? In other words, can someone who finishes AACOMAS tomorrow be better off than someone who finishes on May 31?

The earliest you can SUBMIT is June 1st. This gives everyone a month from the time AACOMAS opens in May to get their application ready. People who submit in June are usually verified in July.

One semester I took a bunch of classes and I thought I dropped one of them during drop add week at my university so it turned to an F(non-science class). I ave already graduated but I am now going back for a second bachelor's. I've heard that in the DO school application you can retake the course and the second grade would be used to calculate your GPA. Can I retake the course at a different university? I no longer live in the city where I got my degree from.

The earliest you can SUBMIT is June 1st. This gives everyone a month from the time AACOMAS opens in May to get their application ready. People who submit in June are usually verified in July.

Ok that's what I thought, thank you.

One semester I took a bunch of classes and I thought I dropped one of them during drop add week at my university so it turned to an F(non-science class). I ave already graduated but I am now going back for a second bachelor's. I've heard that in the DO school application you can retake the course and the second grade would be used to calculate your GPA. Can I retake the course at a different university? I no longer live in the city where I got my degree from.

Yes, you can retake the course... but make sure it's the same course. It might be called something different at your new school.

If you aren't sure whether the courses are the same, email AACOMAS the course names/descriptions and they'll be able to tell you if the new course will replace the old one.

What is the cost to applying to each school?

Is your application looked at more nicely if you are financially disadvantaged?

1a.175 for the first school + 32 every school after that

1b. Secondary ranges from $0 to $200 depending on the school

2. Maybe

I hope so.

I applied back in 2010 and I think the price varied by school. I think there's a flat initial fee, then additional fees per school. Can't say for sure though.

Did anyone also include 0 credit hour 'course' that were pre-reqs to take lab-based courses, yet, it still shows up in the transcript? It's not even a course, per se. More like WHMIS training you have to complete.

I included and just indicated as 0 credit hour as pass/fail. AACOMAS converted as 0.
Debating if I should even include it at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone also include 0 credit hour 'course' that were pre-reqs to take lab-based courses, yet, it still shows up in the transcript? It's not even a course, per se. More like WHMIS training you have to complete.

I included and just indicated as 0 credit hour as pass/fail. AACOMAS converted as 0.
Debating if I should even include it at all...

If it's on your transcript, you must put it on your application. I'm pretty sure that's part of the verification process... they crosscheck your transcript and app to make sure things match and everything's there. If there's an issue with something missing, it could delay verification. :eek:

So yes, be sure to list any and all courses (including labs) just like it is on your transcript. I think listing it as 0 credit hours, pass/fail is the right way to do it.

Does public health count as science?

And does History count as science? I'm guessing no for this one.

Last edited:
Does public health count as science?

And does History count as science? I'm guessing no for this one.

I'd count it as science... not sure about this though.

And no.... for history... lol.

I'd count it as science... not sure about this though.

And no.... for history... lol.

Would philosophy count as behavioral science? Wiki says psychology does.

Also I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Repeat: Courses repeated for academic improvement or grade change must be listed each time taken. Courses repeated for additional credit, but not for a better grade, such as physical education or chorus, are not considered a repeat. Applicants should list the original class as a repeat i.e. "Repeat" and then list the final time it is taken as "Last Repeat". All repeated courses should be coded in sequence. Please see the examples below:
Repeat Example 1
Fall Semester 1999 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Repeat 01"
Spring Semester 2001 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Last Repeat 01"

So in that example, the person failed ENGL 1113 in the fall of 1999, then retook it in the spring of 2001 and didn't retake it again.

And so if I repeated 3 classes I would have something like

Class A grade=C repeat01
Class A grade=A last repeat01
Class B grade=C repeat02
Class B grade=A last repeat02
Class C grade=C repeat03
Class C grade=A last repeat03

etc?

So in that example, the person failed ENGL 1113 in the fall of 1999, then retook it in the spring of 2001 and didn't retake it again.

Class A grade=C repeat01
Class B grade=C repeat02
Class C grade=C repeat03

etc?

Also I transferred credits from a CC to my uni while I was still working on my bachelors. The equivalent class at my uni separated it lecture and lab, but at the CC it was all rolled together (both were 4 total credits). How should I put this in AACOMAS?

Another thing..

In undergrad I got a C in Physics 1 lecture (3 credits) and a B in Physics 1 lab (1 credit). At my school they were separate on my transcript. I retook it at a different school (after graduating from my 4 year uni) and got an A in the class&lecture combo which was 4 credits total. As of now I put it on my AACOMAS as this:

Physics 1 Lecture 3 credits C Retake05
Physics 1 Lab 1 credits B Retake 05

Physics 1 4 credits A Last Retake 05

Is that right?

Last edited:
I LOVE grade replacement. Just finished putting everything into AACOMAS. I have replaced 5 classes so far (F, C, C, D, C) with As and my cGPA jumped from a 2.98 to a 3.2, sGPA from a 2.65 to a 3.22. Kind of wishing I had replaced a couple of other grades instead of taking A&P and Micro, but those helped improve my GPA to so it's all good.

Anyone else got bigger than expected bump from grade replacement?

When can we start applying to DO for the 2013 cycle?

I LOVE grade replacement. Just finished putting everything into AACOMAS. I have replaced 5 classes so far (F, C, C, D, C) with As and my cGPA jumped from a 2.98 to a 3.2, sGPA from a 2.65 to a 3.22. Kind of wishing I had replaced a couple of other grades instead of taking A&P and Micro, but those helped improve my GPA to so it's all good.

Anyone else got bigger than expected bump from grade replacement?

Ya your bottom line gpa might bump up, but the schools can still see your original grades...if you get an interview, I'd be very surprised if the didn't ask you why you flunked those classes in the first place, especially if they are prerequisite classes....

Is it that half year courses with no lab = 3, with lab = 4, and full year courses with lab = 8 and half year = 6? What if you only had the class 2 hours a week? Would it still be 3 semester hours? Sigh..

Class A grade=C repeat01
Class B grade=C repeat02
Class C grade=C repeat03

etc?

From what I've read, I think so.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this but I noted that I'm in 'progress' of taking the retake this spring 2012, and the original course mark is omitted from the gpa.

It appears as:
Summer 2011 Class A with grade= R01
Summer 2012 Class A without grade= RNY

This is a fantastic news for me...just seems weird that it already omits the first course mark...

If it's on your transcript, you must put it on your application. I'm pretty sure that's part of the verification process... they crosscheck your transcript and app to make sure things match and everything's there. If there's an issue with something missing, it could delay verification. :eek:

So yes, be sure to list any and all courses (including labs) just like it is on your transcript. I think listing it as 0 credit hours, pass/fail is the right way to do it.

Perfecto. Thanks.

If I read correctly, it says to enter courses taken at original university only. My scenario is that I took a course at another university with a 'letter of permission' from my home university. This granted me a status as a visiting student and whatever course I was taking can be transferred as a credit to my degree in home university. The course appears in my home university transcript but only as 'credit/no credit' and obviously an actual grade in the other transcript that I took the course at.

So since I have to send in the transcript from the other school anyways with the actual grade, I don't have to include the course again under my home university course list as 'pass/fail'...right?

I did a lot of 5k charity events where Id run to raise money for one cause or another, is it worth including this in my ECs? Also I developed workout routines for several people over the past few years? Is this noteworthy as well?also if it is, how would I exactly list it? (as far as time put in and stuff)

Perfecto. Thanks.

If I read correctly, it says to enter courses taken at original university only. My scenario is that I took a course at another university with a 'letter of permission' from my home university. This granted me a status as a visiting student and whatever course I was taking can be transferred as a credit to my degree in home university. The course appears in my home university transcript but only as 'credit/no credit' and obviously an actual grade in the other transcript that I took the course at.

So since I have to send in the transcript from the other school anyways with the actual grade, I don't have to include the course again under my home university course list as 'pass/fail'...right?

My best advice would be... if you have a class listed on School X's transcript, then put it in your coursework. If the same class is listed on School Y's transcript, still put it. It'll help AACOMAS crosscheck classes with transcripts easier, I'd imagine. Maybe someone else could comment on this one.

I did a lot of 5k charity events where Id run to raise money for one cause or another, is it worth including this in my ECs? Also I developed workout routines for several people over the past few years? Is this noteworthy as well?also if it is, how would I exactly list it? (as far as time put in and stuff)

Were you paid for the workout routines? It seems kinda too small to me for putting it on an application. I'd leave this out.

Marathons might be considered an "extracurricular", so yea... put that. I'd put:

Subject: 5K Marathon Charity Events
Description: [list the dates of the events, and what you did... if you just ran, then just put the charity you ran for]

If you aren't sure what the charity was... then uh, just put "Participated in 5K marathons for various charity events." Although, hopefully you should know what you were running for. :laugh: :)

Yeah what is the threshold of how mundane something can be before omitting it from your application?

For example, playing sports on a team with friends.

Is it that half year courses with no lab = 3, with lab = 4, and full year courses with lab = 8 and half year = 6? What if you only had the class 2 hours a week? Would it still be 3 semester hours? Sigh..

Hey man what are you trying to do? Trying to get courses evaluated from outside the country? You might do better to contact a verifying agency directly.

But since you asked here's my answer. This is generally speaking for science courses. I'm sure there are exceptions but if you're talking chem/ochem/bio/etc it's probably a good guide.

One semester with lab = 4 credits
One semester without lab = 3 credits
Two semesters with lab = 8 credits (it's really two four credit courses over here)
Two semesters without lab = 6 credits (again, really just two three credit courses)

One semester = half year; Two semesters = full year

To be honest, this assumes the coursework is the same as it is here. I have no idea if the courses would be evaluated as equivalent. Not saying it is or isn't, just that I can't guarantee that it would be evaluated this way.

Hi
For sciences course that included labs but doesn't show on the transcript, how do we indicate that on the aacom's application?

My best advice would be... if you have a class listed on School X's transcript, then put it in your coursework. If the same class is listed on School Y's transcript, still put it. It'll help AACOMAS crosscheck classes with transcripts easier, I'd imagine. Maybe someone else could comment on this one.

Were you paid for the workout routines? It seems kinda too small to me for putting it on an application. I'd leave this out.

Marathons might be considered an "extracurricular", so yea... put that. I'd put:

Subject: 5K Marathon Charity Events
Description:
[list the dates of the events, and what you did... if you just ran, then just put the charity you ran for]

If you aren't sure what the charity was... then uh, just put "Participated in 5K marathons for various charity events." Although, hopefully you should know what you were running for. :laugh: :)

Thanks.

And yeah, I wonder what constitutes too basic, lol.

I was enrolled in dual credit after sophomore yr in HS at a local CC. During this time I received both my HS diploma and Associates in one year while still technically in HS. For AACOMAS how can I mark the classes during this time? For TMDSAS I marked pre-freshman since I was currently in HS at the local CC, and after I was done I transferred as a Junior so technically I never had a freshman or sophomore year in College - I marked the majority of my early courses as Freshman though hoping that would be fine for AACOMAS. At least TMDSAS had the option as pre-freshman, and also these courses are not AP credit - they are college courses - I was at a CC, but as a high school student

Hey man what are you trying to do? Trying to get courses evaluated from outside the country? You might do better to contact a verifying agency directly.

But since you asked here's my answer. This is generally speaking for science courses. I'm sure there are exceptions but if you're talking chem/ochem/bio/etc it's probably a good guide.

One semester with lab = 4 credits
One semester without lab = 3 credits
Two semesters with lab = 8 credits (it's really two four credit courses over here)
Two semesters without lab = 6 credits (again, really just two three credit courses)

One semester = half year; Two semesters = full year

To be honest, this assumes the coursework is the same as it is here. I have no idea if the courses would be evaluated as equivalent. Not saying it is or isn't, just that I can't guarantee that it would be evaluated this way.
I am going to get it evaluated. However someone on here said I must fill it in. Do I get it evaluated, have my transcript sent from WES to AACOMAS, and also to me so I can fill it in? Or...

I am going to get it evaluated. However someone on here said I must fill it in. Do I get it evaluated, have my transcript sent from WES to AACOMAS, and also to me so I can fill it in? Or...

When you say "fill it in" are you talking about AACOMAS? If so, it's not that big of a deal. You can do that in one sitting. Do it according to the credits I gave you above and save it, don't submit it. When you get your official transcripts from WES, verify that the evaluation matches what you typed into AACOMAS, click submit, and send the transcripts to AACOMAS as soon as possible (even better, can you have WES send them?). That way once AACOMAS verifies your coursework, you're done and the app goes out to the schools (assuming you've taken the MCAT).

It seems to me that the rate limiting step (dork points, I know) would be getting it evaluated by WES so get it to them ASAP. And yes, I would have WES send you a copy of the transcript, always good to have your own copy of everything.

So big picture: Get your transcript to AACOMAS as soon as possible which means getting it to WES as soon as possible. While they (WES) are working on evaluating your coursework I would fill in AACOMAS using the credit hours I suggested. Once you get your transcript and see that it agrees with what you typed, submit the application and make sure AACOMAS gets a copy as well (hopefully directly from WES). That way you're not wasting any time.

Disclaimer: This is assuming that you know what you're doing with WES. I'm a US student so didn't need to do it.

Just put the classes in. They can figure out the rest or when stuff comes back, you will know what to do. I'll be honest. I am not totally sure I just noticed that no one had responded so I made a guess.

Ya your bottom line gpa might bump up, but the schools can still see your original grades...if you get an interview, I'd be very surprised if the didn't ask you why you flunked those classes in the first place, especially if they are prerequisite classes....

Getting an interview is the hard part. Explaining is easy.

So I grade-replaced Physics 1 and Physics 1 lab from undergrad and I'm not sure how to report it on AACOMAS.

My undergrad transcript looks like this.

Physics 1 Lecture; Grade=C; Credits=3
Physics 1 Lab; Grade=B; Credits=1

My grade-replacement school transcript looks like this:

Physics 1: Grade=A; Credits=4

The new school groups lab and lecture together, but I'm not sure how to put it on AACOMAS.

Right now I have both Physics 1 lecture and physics 1 lab as "Replaced 03" and Physics 1 (the new one) as "Last Replaced 03"

Does that mean it is replacing both classes with 4 credits, so I am essentially replacing a 4 credit class with an 8 credit class? I know that's not right, so I want to fix it, but I don't know how else to set it up.

Also, does being on the Dean's List (transcript) count as an award in the award section?

Last edited:
I was trying to enter in my grades onto the application and got confused. For undergrad, I went to one school. Now I'm in graduate school at another school that is affiliated with that school, but is technically a separate institution. My online transcripts for the original school actually show the information from my graduate program as well. When I asked, they said it also shows up on the official transcript. Since it shows up on both, will it delay verification of my application? Or could I just send the transcript that shows the grades from both?

Getting an interview is the hard part. Explaining is easy.

You must have a great explanation, bc unless you've had interviews, you don't know that it's not that easy... They can see through any sad excuse you have unless it's really good.

You must have a great explanation, bc unless you've had interviews, you don't know that it's not that easy... They can see through any sad excuse you have unless it's really good.

Oh my excuses aren't sad or petty. I did research with 3 MDs who were on the ADCOM for their med school and they all offered to do a practice interview with me. All 3 said my reasons were legit and that if my GPA/MCAT were actually competitive for their school that my interview would not have cost me an acceptance. Perhaps they were just being nice, but I'll take it.

HEY! I'm entering my coursework right now and Im just wondering, what if the prefix- number doesn't fit. my prefitx are like BIO SCI M156L..... which is way to long .....

Thank you!

This is so complicated.
So i signed up for interfolio with my school email. When opening an account for aacom it wanted a non-school email so i used another one. But I forgot and signed into aacom with my school email and it made me a new application account linked to my interfolio! How do I un-do this??

HEY! I'm entering my coursework right now and Im just wondering, what if the prefix- number doesn't fit. my prefitx are like BIO SCI M156L..... which is way to long .....

Thank you!

Same thing happened to me as well. I just cut it out to letters that's still obvious that the course I'm describing is what it is. For biology, I just put BIOL 1XXX. Something like "X Science", I just excluded the science part and abbreviated the first part.

Any other thoughts on this?

not sure if it's been answered but, if i took college classes while still in high school to count toward my college degree, do those count?