I am going back and forth on some things for my activity sections not related to jobs/clinical, and wondering if I can get some advice.
There are several things I've been involved in/done for most of my life. One being classical piano and another being a competitive athlete. Both of these things I competed in at a pretty high level in high school, and then continued in college and beyond (I am an older non-trad). However, I'm unsure if it's more important to talk about my accomplishments/what levels I attained, or more what the takeaways were and a sweet anecdote or story about the activities since they were very meaningful to me.
For instance, I still play piano and it's one of my favorite hobbies. However I competed and won state/regional competitions in high school. Currently my essay is focused more on the family member that inspired me to start playing, and how it felt to learn to play and create music like him. I brush briefly on getting into it more intensely in high school/competing, but focus more on how the hard work back then means it's something I can still enjoy and lean on when I need to unwind.
The same is said for athletics, I was a competitive year round athlete in high school, won state meets, but then in college and beyond was an amateur athlete who did compete but never at a professional level or anything. I've focused again more on my enjoyment, what it taught me, etc and only brushed briefly on competitions in high school because 1. it was a long time ago but 2. that wasn't really the point for me, I'd rather tell a story, I guess.
I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on including important things. If it's important to show how successful I was, I'll include it, but otherwise I prefer to talk more about the transformative nature/enjoyment of the experiences and what I learned...