Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
....how did you get that?

Do it. Uworld is awesome. You can turn any image or text from any passage or explanation into a flash card too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it. Uworld is awesome. You can turn any image or text from any passage or explanation into a flash card too.
Will do. Are Atlius practice exams>>>>than Kaplan? Like if I use Kaplan, the 3 FL's from AAMC and the one practice test, the free NS test, is that good enough? I've been told to ditch the Kaplan exams and dish out 175 for the Atlius 5 exam pack? Is that worth it?
Also, UWorld is just practice Q's, right? No FL's and no content stuffs?

( I hope MCAT discussion is fine on this thread).

Hi ya'll
What's the consensus on those UWorld Q's? I'm paying for Kaplan and AAMC stuff, but I really wanna take advantage of that 15 day free trial * rubs hands together*.

Also, that NS free FL, is it good? Or is it deliberately ****ty because it's free? I've heard that for 3rd party FL's Atlius/NS step are the best.

Also, are these free trials really free? They don't ask for credit card info, so I think yes, right? I always get a little paranoid if something seems too good to be true?
To be honest, I decided switching between resources would get overwhelming and confusing. There's SO much out there, and everyone has different opinions on different companies.

I used TPR, and stuck with it for the bulk of my studying. It came with the full AAMC pack, so I did that as well. I did rare supplementation with Khan academy (free) for difficult subjects, and did the free Kaplan and NS full lengths when I ran out of TPR ones. I did the test prep company FLs to get a feel for the nature of the test, rather than a prediction of my score. The AAMC full lengths were how I gauged my actual MCAT performance- my last AAMC FL was only 1 point off from my eventual MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will do. Are Atlius practice exams>>>>than Kaplan? Like if I use Kaplan, the 3 FL's from AAMC and the one practice test, the free NS test, is that good enough? I've been told to ditch the Kaplan exams and dish out 175 for the Atlius 5 exam pack? Is that worth it?
Also, UWorld is just practice Q's, right? No FL's and no content stuffs?

( I hope MCAT discussion is fine on this thread).

I never heard of Altius until last week so I have no idea about them. Kaplan full lengths are not good. The next step ones are decent. They are harder than the AAMC material for sure.

Uworld is just qbanks, but they are passage and discrete questions. You can do a 59 question section for each section, but you have to split it up between bio, biochem, gen Chem, etc.

....how did you get that?
I follow someone on Instagram and guess they're sponsoring her or something but she has a link in her bio for the three month free trial. Her account's public so you don't have to follow her.

To be honest, I decided switching between resources would get overwhelming and confusing. There's SO much out there, and everyone has different opinions on different companies.

I used TPR, and stuck with it for the bulk of my studying. It came with the full AAMC pack, so I did that as well. I did rare supplementation with Khan academy (free) for difficult subjects, and did the free Kaplan and NS full lengths when I ran out of TPR ones. I did the test prep company FLs to get a feel for the nature of the test, rather than a prediction of my score. The AAMC full lengths were how I gauged my actual MCAT performance- my last AAMC FL was only 1 point off from my eventual MCAT score.
:boom:TPR comes with content review, TPR FL's , and AAMC FL's?!!?!?! Ugh! Kaplan has content review ( the best review based on online feedback, but still) FL's by Kaplan, but no AAMC access.

I never heard of Altius until last week so I have no idea about them. Kaplan full lengths are not good. The next step ones are decent. They are harder than the AAMC material for sure.

Uworld is just qbanks, but they are passage and discrete questions. You can do a 59 question section for each section, but you have to split it up between bio, biochem, gen Chem, etc.
So that free trial gives you up to 59 total Q's?
There's so much stuff out there....it's hard to stay on top of what's the best....

:boom:TPR comes with content review, TPR FL's , and AAMC FL's?!!?!?! Ugh! Kaplan has content review ( the best review based on online feedback, but still) FL's by Kaplan, but no AAMC access.
:( Sorry friend. If it makes you feel any better, I payed a god awful amount of money for the whole thing.

:( Sorry friend. If it makes you feel any better, I payed a god awful amount of money for the whole thing.
Oh is that the TPR course pack thing? Then that really is pricey. Damn.

Yeah it was the full self study course. Worth it in the end, but definitely can be cost-prohibitive
Ohhh okay. Yeah I thought that prep books only give you access to whatever the company lets you have, but to get AAMC access, that only comes with the full prep classes, in which the cost means they better give you AAMC access :laugh:
I was gonna be like " But I thought book sets were just book sets D: "

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhh okay. Yeah I thought that prep books only give you access to whatever the company lets you have, but to get AAMC access, that only comes with the full prep classes, in which the cost means they better give you AAMC access :laugh:
I was gonna be like " But I thought book sets were just book sets D: "
I did the online prep course because in addition to content, it had recorded lectures, tons of online questions banks, and the FLs. I structured my own study period instead of taking a review course, and with the TPR content I had plenty of material/questions to fill up all my study time. I believe other companies have similar self prep/online courses you could consider as well.

@tessellations @ekmf27050 @impendingdoom @mwsapphire bump!

days.png

Reactions: 3 users
You guys....you know how someone once compared College Confidential to SDN. I was just one there for a bit looking at people talking about UGrad GPA.

They said that a 3.4 is a "bad" gpa and since it's below a 3.5 , a 3.4 business major would have issues getting a job....
Like....what the hell?

You guys....you know how someone once compared College Confidential to SDN. I was just one there for a bit looking at people talking about UGrad GPA.

They said that a 3.4 is a "bad" gpa and since it's below a 3.5 , a 3.4 business major would have issues getting a job....
Like....what the hell?
Its an uphill battle getting into medical school with a 3.4 .However no one cares what your gpa is when you go find a job.

Its an uphill battle getting into medical school with a 3.4 .However no one cares what your gpa is when you go find a job.
When you take DO into consideration and a potential high MCAT then it really kind of isn't.
And 3.4 is great for grad school, too, no? I think for both masters and PhD,unless it's at a top university.
Edit: I feel like this is sort of how SDN is sometimes, very neurotic in a way that non-users can see very easily as ridiculous.
Also, didn't you have like a 3.4 and got MD?

Last edited: