Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @libertyyne @JoaoMoutinho bump!

begging_the_question_2x.png
I literally just saw some kind of medicine commercial asking someone if they were feeling sick and nauseous.

Members don't see this ad.

When nauseous was FIRST introduced, it’s meaning was to feel sick or to feel nausea, but then it was changed to mean to cause nausea. So technically, when people say they are nauseous and mean they are nauseated, they’re using the original meaning before it changed to what became known as the traditional distinction.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When nauseous was FIRST introduced, it’s meaning was to feel sick or to feel nausea, but then it was changed to mean to cause nausea. So technically, when people say they are nauseous and mean they are nauseated, they’re using the original meaning before it changed to what became known as the traditional distinction.
Good factoid, which I didn't believe when I read your post, but my dictionary agrees with you (at least, 72% of the expert panel it polled did).

Reactions: 1 users
Good factoid, which I didn't believe when I read your post, but my dictionary agrees with you (at least, 72% of the expert panel it polled did).
I’m betting some overlapping confusion with noxious

I’m betting some overlapping confusion with noxious

Possibly. Nausea was introduced as a noun in the 1400s from the Latin and Greek words for seasickness. The Old French “-ous” used to turn nouns into adjectives was already in use and noxious was introduced in the 1500s; however the first combination of nausea and -ous to make nauseous was in the late 1500s and was quickly replaced by the more traditional meaning over a couple decades from 1610 to 1630 to mean something that causes nausea. The word nauseate came about in the 1630s to mean feeling nausea.

Hey guys, I don’t want to start a whole topic to ask this, but if I got an interview invitation on Monday, replied ~5 hrs later and haven’t received a confirmation on the date (it’s been 5 days) is it appropriate to email again just to check they got my email? Every other invite I’ve gotten has been very responsive.

Hey guys, I don’t want to start a whole topic to ask this, but if I got an interview invitation on Monday, replied ~5 hrs later and haven’t received a confirmation on the date (it’s been 5 days) is it appropriate to email again just to check they got my email? Every other invite I’ve gotten has been very responsive.
have you checked the portal ? I would probably call or email if you dont have any information in the portal.

Agree with @libertyyne. If there is no info on the portal (or there is no portal), email or call.

Members don't see this ad :)
@eteshoe @Healer@1994 @TheBiologist @Gilakend @Gurby @Robin-jay bump!

boathouses_and_houseboats_2x.png

The <x> that is held by <y> is also a <y><x>, so if you go to a food truck, the stuff you buy is truck food. A phone that's in your car is a carphone, and a car equipped with a phone is a phonecar. When you play a mobile racing game, you're in your phonecar using your carphone to drive a different phonecar. I'm still not sure about bananaphones.

Reactions: 2 users