Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's just FLAT.I don't think Kansas has any hiking?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think it's just FLAT.I don't think Kansas has any hiking?
Goes to show how knowledgeable I am of the middle of the country...I don't think Kansas has any hiking?
No, I stay overnight because I NEED MY 8 HOURS :<. But I haven’t stayed more than 24 hours for a single interview yet.
I’m taking the summer meet up and turning it into a geography lesson for y’allGoes to show how knowledgeable I am of the middle of the country...
I may be exaggerating my sleep habits slightly haha, but I definitely can say I’ve slept at least more than 5 hours a night for all of college.You're gonna need to get over that 8 hours thing lol. You can swing it during preclerkships if you prioritize it, but 8 hours a night in residency is just not realistic with call and ****. I promise you that you can function on less than 8 hours of sleep. I'm not talking like getting 3-4 hours per night like I was doing on deployment, I'm talking like 6 instead of 8.
You'll also need less sleep at that age- in your mid-twenties your brain growth slows down such that your sleep needs are less than HS/college. That is another thing.You're gonna need to get over that 8 hours thing lol. You can swing it during preclerkships if you prioritize it, but 8 hours a night in residency is just not realistic with call and ****. I promise you that you can function on less than 8 hours of sleep. I'm not talking like getting 3-4 hours per night like I was doing on deployment, I'm talking like 6 instead of 8.
So, I have never really looked at your avatar closely and I just gotta say that is one hella adorable cat.You'll also need less sleep at that age- in your mid-twenties your brain growth slows down such that your sleep needs are less than HS/college. That is another thing.
So , like, I need 7+hrs a night, but I'll likely be fine with 6 during residency, 5 years from now. You likely will be ,too.
Did you know that 2/3 of WA and OR are deserts? No? Didn't think so lolI’m taking the summer meet up and turning it into a geography lesson for y’all
You'll also need less sleep at that age- in your mid-twenties your brain growth slows down such that your sleep needs are less than HS/college. That is another thing.
So , like, I need 7+hrs a night, but I'll likely be fine with 6 during residency, 5 years from now. You likely will be ,too.
Ah is that where the Great Basin desert is? I know it’s out there but hadn’t associated it with certain states.Did you know that 2/3 of WA and OR are deserts? No? Didn't think so lol
I have shared this fun fact at every interview.
Yeah but 6 is way more manageable with residency and way more than 3-4. Still not the " 3 hr a night" myth that's circulated, and you certainly don't need at least 8.I'm 35 and still feel better when I get 6-7 than when I get 5 or less. But I'm used to functioning on no sleep because I did it for years in the fleet and with kiddos.
No, that is in Nevada.Ah is that where the Great Basin desert is? I know it’s out there but hadn’t associated it with certain states.
The Chanukah armadillo!I’m fully racking my Jewish brain to try to figure out what this has to do with my religion
Omg best news ever. Thank you. I love you (and so do my future patients).I made a thread on this a few years ago. Residency does give you just enough time to sleep. ( most residents can net 6-7 hours a night staying away from surgery). Assuming you don't have children and you have a stipend for food/takeout, and can manage your chores with your partner, you'll be fine.
No, that is in Nevada.
Look up Columbia Plateau, missoula lake floods, and Palouse.
The coolest part about this region is the glacial Missoula Lake floods. Did you look those up?Deserts in Eastern Washington
The deserts of Eastern Washington include wastelands carved from fertile plains by ice-age floods, dormant waterfalls that once plunged 400 feet to the surge pool below, and an arid refuge where wildlife abounds. If you crave the stark beauty of the desert, Eastern Washington is worth the trip.traveltips.usatoday.com
I learned my fun geography fact of the day! Sad that there doesn’t seem to be like one single desert name like Mojave or Great Basin to wrap it up in, but seems like a really interesting region and biome.
I did! Also really cool. We’re from a big, geographically fun country. Plus I just really love maps, so I’m enjoying this.The coolest part about this region is the glacial Missoula Lake floods. Did you look those up?
Literally my favorite part of basic training and my leadership courses was a land navigation component. Learning how to look at a map and then look at my Compass and realize that I could recognize where I was where I was going and where I came from was fantastic. It made me feel like I was in control of my dominion.I did! Also really cool. We’re from a big, geographically fun country. Plus I just really love maps, so I’m enjoying this.
Oh my personal sense of direction and orientation??? Nowhere to be found. Please do not leave me alone with a compass. (Add this to my flaws)Literally my favorite part of basic training and my leadership courses was a land navigation component. Learning how to look at a map and then look at my Compass and realize that I could recognize where I was where I was going and where I came from was fantastic. It made me feel like I was in control of my dominion.
A fantastic acronym that the army uses is Hidden valley ranch salad dressingOh my personal sense of direction and orientation??? Nowhere to be found. Please do not leave me alone with a compass. (Add this to my flaws)
But I do enjoy pointing at things on maps and knowing what they are. as opposed to actual useful survival skills.
Technically correct either way! It just depends on what time zone you’re using.I was there from 4-6 PM messily eating my donut.
Edit: wait I lied I was there from 6-8 PM. I suck at time.
Just landed for my first interview in a different time zone. I definitely was confused for a good few minutes abojt the time. :xTechnically correct either way! It just depends on what time zone you’re using.
I took a 6 AM flight this morning that landed at 8:30 AM but took 5.5 hours. My body is very confused right now.Just landed for my first interview in a different time zone. I definitely was confused for a good few minutes abojt the time. :x
I’m sad because I’m missing you by just two days. But hey! The interview starts at 10 AM for us 🙂I took a 6 AM flight this morning that landed at 8:30 AM but took 5.5 hours. My body is very confused right now.
Try taking a 5 AM flight that lasts 7 hours but landing at dinner time...I took a 6 AM flight this morning that landed at 8:30 AM but took 5.5 hours. My body is very confused right now.
It starts at 10 AM local time for me! So 1 PM “our time.”I’m sad because I’m missing you by just two days. But hey! The interview starts at 10 AM for us 🙂
Same. I still use my gps around town because I don’t trust my instincts. I won’t survive a zombie apocalypse.Oh my personal sense of direction and orientation??? Nowhere to be found. Please do not leave me alone with a compass. (Add this to my flaws)
But I do enjoy pointing at things on maps and knowing what they are. as opposed to actual useful survival skills.
Update: I turned it back on out of curiosity and learned that dried bull penises are called “Pizzles”Me *turns on NPR*
NPR: “And our story tonight is about two men who walked into a pet store and just grabbed handfuls and handfuls of penises. More specifically dehydrated bull penises. Now to start off with, tell me John, why does your pet shop sell penises?”
Me: *turns off NPR*
It starts at 10 AM local time for me! So 1 PM “our time.”
For my day, there are three groups of applicants, each starting at a different time (actually two groups start at 7 and only my group starts at 10), presumably because the MMI can only accommodate ~10 applicants at a time.??? Mine totally starts at 7 AM local time. That’s wild.
Wow. That's a busy day. They only interview like 400 applicants, so if they do three groups on some days, that's like 15 total interview days? My day has two groups, both at 7.For my day, there are three groups of applicants, each starting at a different time (actually two groups start at 7 and only my group starts at 10), presumably because the MMI can only accommodate ~10 applicants at a time.
Or bully sticks! Dogs go crazy for them!Update: I turned it back on out of curiosity and learned that dried bull penises are called “Pizzles”
Hmm. So I am in the LEFTOVERS / we accidentally sent IIs to these folks group. Jk.Wow. That's a busy day. They only interview like 400 applicants, so if they do three groups on some days, that's like 15 total interview days? My day has two groups, both at 7.
I know they have at least one interview day in February...(are we talking Stanford here?)Hmm. So I am in the LEFTOVERS / we accidentally sent IIs to these folks group. Jk.
I tried but I couldn’t. Too sappy.Does anyone else watch “this is us” - if not, please start. I can’t with this show.
I don’t care about sports but I got second place in my league the last time I played fantasy football.Anyone play fantasy football? Would love to start a thread if there was enough interest
Anyone play fantasy football? Would love to start a thread if there was enough interest
I too am not a sports person, but I wouldn't mind joining for poops and giggles.I don’t care about sports but I got second place in my league the last time I played fantasy football.
Love that 😆 😍I don’t care about sports but I got second place in my league the last time I played fantasy football.
Same. I am all for feces and soft cherubic laughterI too am not a sports person, but I wouldn't mind joining for poops and giggles.
I thought we are doing Boston?This idea kinda got lost - did we ever decide somewhere?
Yeah but 6 is way more manageable with residency and way more than 3-4. Still not the " 3 hr a night" myth that's circulated, and you certainly don't need at least 8.
Worded it badly. Agree with you and was trying to say that @premed20172017 will be fine.I think you might be confusing me with someone else (or maybe you're agreeing with me? I can't tell--it sounds like you're trying to correct me). I was the one who said you could get by with less than 8 hours of sleep. I've gotten less than 8 hours of sleep for years and function just fine.
Guys, I'm a fledgling adult and this is kind of a dumb question but I'm paranoid.
So I've been getting calls from 1 -800 number saying there has been "suspicious activity" on my SSN. I've used it for one or two med school application-related things ( one of my apps had it as a mandatory field, I believe it was LECOM). But, I don't think the SS office calls you through a 1-800 number with an automated voice, right? I'm pretty sure this is BS I'm not sure- I know the IRS and such will never call you, but I'm worried maybe the SS office does and I just don't know? Also to sign up for work I used my SSN.
Like, I would say this is a scam but, the fact that they say there was " suspicious" activity on my SSN right after I did actually use it is making me doubt it a bit.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.