Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m personally very interested in harm reduction measures. I’m all for safe injection sites, Canada has shown us that they can be successful. Also think that we need to stop demonizing MAT for people dealing with substance use disorders. Drug users are so stigmatized in our society, and it really impedes implementing actual, evidence based measures to help them.
This perfectly sums up how I think about this! I see so many patients struggling with addiction who could absolutely benefit from safe injection sites (in addition to the excellent MAT treatment we have).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m personally very interested in harm reduction measures. I’m all for safe injection sites, Canada has shown us that they can be successful. Also think that we need to stop demonizing MAT for people dealing with substance use disorders. Drug users are so stigmatized in our society, and it really impedes implementing actual, evidence based measures to help them.

Do a lot of physicians demonize MAT? I know a lot of docs don't want to deal with it for various reasons, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Also, I'm all for safe injection sites to reduce overdoses and people injecting in 7-11 bathrooms, but a hospital might not be the best place.

And maybe I'm just jaded by my personal experience, but I don't think it's just the stigma here. I have had a couple family members kill themselves with drugs, and they had the most supportive network of family and friends all rooting for them and trying to help them get better. That **** is just so terrible, the addiction is really, really hard to break even when you don't feel stigmatized at all.

There should be a stigma on the drugs and on dealers/manufacturers, but the people who get caught up in it and can't get out shouldn't be stigmatized. They really need help and are in real danger.

Reactions: 1 users
Do a lot of physicians demonize MAT? I know a lot of docs don't want to deal with it for various reasons, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Also, I'm all for safe injection sites to reduce overdoses and people injecting in 7-11 bathrooms, but a hospital might not be the best place.

And maybe I'm just jaded by my personal experience, but I don't think it's just the stigma here. I have had a couple family members kill themselves with drugs, and they had the most supportive network of family and friends all rooting for them and trying to help them get better. That **** is just so terrible, the addiction is really, really hard to break even when you don't feel stigmatized at all.

There should be a stigma on the drugs and on dealers/manufacturers, but the people who get caught up in it and can't get out shouldn't be stigmatized. They really need help and are in real danger.

MAT definitely gets demonized in some sectors ("trading one addiction for another" re: methadone, etc). While most physicians have a better understanding of it than the general public, there's still a fair amount of stigma around it and a trend to just counsel patients "don't do drugs" (lol) rather than considering MAT (despite the evidence that it's the best option to actually prevent overdose deaths). There's also just a general lack of knowledge about MAT - what the options are, how to prescribe/refer, etc. And since some of the options require a special waiver to prescribe, patients often can't find a provider who is able to prescribe it.

I've been heavily involved in harm reduction in med school, and while there are some amazing physicians we work with, it's also very disappointing to see how horribly people who use drugs are treated by the medical system. Doctors, nurses, etc can say and do some really awful things and some of the stories i've heard are heartbreaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
MAT definitely gets demonized in some sectors ("trading one addiction for another" re: methadone, etc). While most physicians have a better understanding of it than the general public, there's still a fair amount of stigma around it and a trend to just counsel patients "don't do drugs" (lol) rather than considering MAT (despite the evidence that it's the best option to actually prevent overdose deaths). There's also just a general lack of knowledge about MAT - what the options are, how to prescribe/refer, etc. And since some of the options require a special waiver to prescribe, patients often can't find a provider who is able to prescribe it.

I've been heavily involved in harm reduction in med school, and while there are some amazing physicians we work with, it's also very disappointing to see how horribly people who use drugs are treated by the medical system. Doctors, nurses, etc can say and do some really awful things and some of the stories i've heard are heartbreaking.

People can be horrible. But yeah, I can see why a lot of physicians don't want to deal with it. There are hurdles to even prescribing it, and then there are definitely risks in dealing with that patient population. But they definitely need more access too.

Todays conclusion:
I am dying to move out...

Reactions: 4 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive I am four eels not a guy.

FB_IMG_1580072174386.jpg

• Haha
Ya'll ever suddenly realize how much you miss your friends from school? Like my old friend from college just texted me and I was like " :D "

On another note, I joined my school's a capella group. We're called the Dermatones.
Nice. I did choir in HS ( as a class but I took it 3/4 years even when I didnt need the credit).
This is totally out of left field- you said you also have dermatitis? Do you have trouble with clothes?Like fabrics that are rough, etc? Mine is on my face but I cantnimagine putting clothes over it

Oh MY GOD. You guys. Remember how the game Plague Inc. got popular all of a sudden? It actually came out in the early 2010's, and I actually played it in HS. Summer between 9th and 10th grade , (2012) I played it like all summer and unlocked an insane amount of achievments. This was on my old iPod touch. I had iPhone 5S in between, and then I got the 8plus in 2017 and still have it. I decided to start playing it again. All my achievements/progress is still there.
I was a troubled kid, and so this is..bringing back some memories. Now I remember why I didn't restart playing this in college- it brings back ..mixed feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Todays conclusion:
I am dying to move out...

I have a countdown timer on my phone to move out day . My parents have been kind enough to let me stay so I can save up some money before med school but at this point we’re all at each other’s throats and I’m dying to move out too

• Haha
Nice. I did choir in HS ( as a class but I took it 3/4 years even when I didnt need the credit).
This is totally out of left field- you said you also have dermatitis? Do you have trouble with clothes?Like fabrics that are rough, etc? Mine is on my face but I cantnimagine putting clothes over it

Mine is only on my hands, so fortunately I don't really have that issue. I actually try to wear gloves as much as possible in the winter to keep it at bay. I just got these new type of gloves a month ago or so that have been working really well. Most gloves don't help very much.

Oh MY GOD. You guys. Remember how the game Plague Inc. got popular all of a sudden? It actually came out in the early 2010's, and I actually played it in HS. Summer between 9th and 10th grade , (2012) I played it like all summer and unlocked an insane amount of achievments. This was on my old iPod touch. I had iPhone 5S in between, and then I got the 8plus in 2017 and still have it. I decided to start playing it again. All my achievements/progress is still there.
I was a troubled kid, and so this is..bringing back some memories. Now I remember why I didn't restart playing this in college- it brings back ..mixed feelings.
Anybody feel like a monster for playing this game? I know a lot of video games are violent and involve attacking/killing people and are just for fun, but something about playing a game where you design a disease to wipe out humanity in a world simulation game feels weird for a med-school-hopeful to be playing :oops:

Anybody feel like a monster for playing this game? I know a lot of video games are violent and involve attacking/killing people and are just for fun, but something about playing a game where you design a disease to wipe out humanity in a world simulation game feels weird for a med-school-hopeful to be playing :oops:

I've never played it, but no not really. It's just a strategy game with a weird concept.

I have a countdown timer on my phone to move out day . My parents have been kind enough to let me stay so I can save up some money before med school but at this point we’re all at each other’s throats and I’m dying to move out too
I missed this reply last night!
Geez, see I don't actually have an A in hand so I don't even know if I'll be moving out.
I think to live with your parents before your "actual" career starts ( or even after it starts but many entry-level jobs these days don't pay enough to allow you to live in the city where your job is) is perfectly normal.
Yeah, I think after a certain age being at odds with your parents and wanting to move out, and like, feeling like your relationship with them will better if you had a little distance is normal.

Just got hit by one of those stupid FBI impersonator spam calls from WA state. It woke me up!( I didnt even answwr the call, but Im almost curious what kind of BS they will accuse me of.

• Haha
Just got hit by one of those stupid FBI impersonator spam calls from WA state. It woke me up!( I didnt even answwr the call, but Im almost curious what kind of BS they will accuse me of.

if you have an iPhone you can block unknown numbers. Most if not all important calls will leave a voicemail.

It left a voicemail tho...

I had to once screen a "DEA" call for the CEO of my physician group. I hung up, called the DEA in DC and the other guy on the line said something along the lines of "if we need to talk to someone, believe me, we wont call". Thats pretty much the philosophy Id ascribe to when receiving purported calls from law enforcement/government agencies.

Calipremed I miss you.

I wish we could matriculate at the same school

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else get crazy dry eyes? I only recently started carrying my drops with me, for SOME reason. Sometimes when I yawn I cover my whole face ( instead of just my mouth) with my hands to make my eyes water. I don't even wear contacts!

• Love
Guys, I was watching TV and an episode had a surgeon who was sacked because he has an intention tremor-
It got me thinking ( along with the fact that the doctor I work for is a surgeon) that there are a lot of health problems that are totally incompatible with surgery- that are perfectly fine with the rest of medicine. Such as that tremor, or rheumatoid arthritis- may make hand writing notes a bit hard, but those conditions wouldn't interfer with say, Family Med, OBGYN,anesthesia or being an endocrinologist, for instance ( or at least, not that I can think of)

Guys, I was watching TV and an episode had a surgeon who was sacked because he has an intention tremor-
It got me thinking ( along with the fact that the doctor I work for is a surgeon) that there are a lot of health problems that are totally incompatible with surgery- that are perfectly fine with the rest of medicine. Such as that tremor, or rheumatoid arthritis- may make hand writing notes a bit hard, but those conditions wouldn't interfer with say, Family Med, OBGYN,anesthesia or being an endocrinologist, for instance ( or at least, not that I can think of)

I've worked with multiple surgeons with essential tremors.

Huh. Maybe this guy's was more severe? But in general- the arthritis example- does my point stand?

They take out insurance on their hands and take beta blockers to ameliorate tremors if they're not too bad.

Source: scribed for several surgeons and wondered the same thing.

• Wow
They take out insurance on their hands and take beta blockers to ameliorate tremors if they're not too bad.

Source: scribed for several surgeons and wondered the same thing.

These guys didn’t take beta blockers as far as I know. They just learned how to operate with their tremors. But I’m sure some surgeons do take them.

• Wow
Huh. Maybe this guy's was more severe? But in general- the arthritis example- does my point stand?

I mean primary care specialties do WAY more note writing than surgery. You could always get dictation software like dragon. As for surgery, that might be hard. Or it might not be. Just depends on the individual disease course and how well it responds to treatment.

• Wow
So as I'm enjoying some Nestle Toll House cookies made from the refrigerated dough, I'm wondering.
I've lived in MA my whole life, and am only recently learning about certain things that are MA/Northeast/East Coast only.
Is refrigerated Toll House cookie dough a MA only thing( like in grocery stores and such)? I know Toll Hour started in MA, and it makes me wonder if this yummy dough is available country wide.

So as I'm enjoying some Nestle Toll House cookies made from the refrigerated dough, I'm wondering.
I've lived in MA my whole life, and am only recently learning about certain things that are MA/Northeast/East Coast only.
Is refrigerated Toll House cookie dough a MA only thing( like in grocery stores and such)? I know Toll Hour started in MA, and it makes me wonder if this yummy dough is available country wide.

No idea. I ate it growing up, but I grew up in the NE.

We have them in FL

I lost 50 pounds last year. Got 20 pounds more to go. The last 20 has been more difficult to lose. Feel like I’m reaching a plateau. Any tips?

Also what is everyone doing during application cycle?

I want to learn to cook more. Does anyone have a recommendation for cook books?

Also what is everyone doing during application cycle?

I want to learn to cook more. Does anyone have a recommendation for cook books?

I learned to cook by trying to remake all of my favorite dishes as a kid. I used online recipes to replace things like canned soup and boxed macaroni with homemade versions. Now I love to cook!

I don't have any cookbooks, but I like Buzzfeed's Things To Cook This Month collection. There are some gems in there.

Eating breakfast before my interview.... pretty nervous lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users