This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you or anyone happen to know if the schools accept Canadian applicants? I know some DO, MD and Dental schools are very Canadian friendly but i'm in the dark about DPM.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you or anyone happen to know if the schools accept Canadian applicants? I know some DO, MD and Dental schools are very Canadian friendly but i'm in the dark about DPM.

NYCPM is Canadian friendly. I can't comment on their stats for obvious reasons but there are at least 2 ~ 3 Canadian students in every class.

3 LOR's, one from neuroscience prof, one from an MD, one from my current work as medical assistant. Will be applying to Sept 2013 stream. Do you know if my chances are any good for NYCPM?

You're golden. LoR's count for squat unless they rat you out as a mediocre unambitious underachieving wannabe-success story. Only then they count :laugh:

Your cGPA is well above avg and your MCAT is too. Good job! A solid MCAT score goes a long way at NYCPM since the admin believe it predicts your ability to pass the board exams (NYCPM had 100% first-time pass rate last cycle-they want to keep it that way). You WILL get an interview (unless hell freezes over) and you WILL be asked about the low-ish scGPA. But don't sweat it-they just want to see if you'll crack under pressure. The interview is all you need to perform well in, just for security. Apply ASAP though.

NYCPM (and NYC as a whole) is VERY Canadian friendly, especially since the school has a crew of students from a canadian francophone DPM program intern at the foot clinic (FCNY) every year. Imho, there is no better place for a Canuck than NYCPM. Although, I do know of 2-3 DPMs that practice in my neck of the woods that graduated from Temple.

Feel free to PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here I have very similar stats to this person above and I am also freaking out. Alot of these school have a 2.75 GPA cut off (looking at their websites). The GPA really has to pulled up. It's going to be difficult, and I don't want to be mean but I think with a 2.5 GPA you'll be screened out.

Quick question -

I went through the dpm schools and I found that close to none of them have a hard MINIMUM GPA requirement. Of course, they will let you know the standard level of GPA they are looking for...

The reason I ask is because before I transferred to the university where I currently am at, I was at a community college where I had to take a 0050 level class (under 100 level classes do not count towards your GPA or give you college credit). It was an introductory math class that was required since I didn't pass the math placement. Long story short, I took the class...it was too easy and I stopped showing up...ended up biting me in the ass and got an F in it since I fell behind. Took it again. Fell into the same trap, and same thing happened. Another F. I know..pathetic, but I wasnt worried at the time since it wasnt calculated in my gpa, nor was I getting credit for it anywas.

However it will be calculated in my AACPMAS GPA, and will absolutely wreck my science GPA. Since transferring I have taken a quarter of Bio-statistics (B+) and a quarter of Calculus (A-)

Will schools be able to look past this and acknowledge that my science gpa is actually much higher than what the AACPMAS will show? Kind of a fluke situation...my science gpa excluding that math class is closer to 3.0

Quick question -

I went through the dpm schools and I found that close to none of them have a hard MINIMUM GPA requirement. Of course, they will let you know the standard level of GPA they are looking for...

The reason I ask is because before I transferred to the university where I currently am at, I was at a community college where I had to take a 0050 level class (under 100 level classes do not count towards your GPA or give you college credit). It was an introductory math class that was required since I didn't pass the math placement. Long story short, I took the class...it was too easy and I stopped showing up...ended up biting me in the ass and got an F in it since I fell behind. Took it again. Fell into the same trap, and same thing happened. Another F. I know..pathetic, but I wasnt worried at the time since it wasnt calculated in my gpa, nor was I getting credit for it anywas.

However it will be calculated in my AACPMAS GPA, and will absolutely wreck my science GPA. Since transferring I have taken a quarter of Bio-statistics (B+) and a quarter of Calculus (A-)

Will schools be able to look past this and acknowledge that my science gpa is actually much higher than what the AACPMAS will show? Kind of a fluke situation...my science gpa excluding that math class is closer to 3.0

as long as you're >3.0 for both science and cumulative you dont have much to worry about. score in the mid 20's or higher and you are golden.

as long as you're >3.0 for both science and cumulative you dont have much to worry about. score in the mid 20's or higher and you are golden.

Im sure my cGPA will be above 3.0 but with my math grades, my sGPA will be hovering around 2.5. Otherwise I wouldn't really be worried about it. Its a flawed system in my opinion...the class didnt even count :mad:

EDIT : - According to AACPM, Math classes are NOT calculated in your science GPA. Its considered Non-Science....which will take a hit on my cGPA but will not be as big.

Can anyone confirm this? Math classes NOT calculated in sGPA?

Last edited:
I know personally I hate the response that I am about to give you b/c you have to actually do it yourself, but in your situation this is what I would do: CALL THE PODIATRY SCHOOLS!!!

This does seem like an odd situation, but again I have never taken a community college credit for any part of my undergrad so I don't know what it would be like for that. But this situation seems more sticky than several other people's problems in my eyes.

I also don't mean to be rude, but how do you fail an Introductory Mathematics class but somehow get a B+ in a high statistics and an A- in a Calculus class? Math was always easy for me and I am so glad they count math as apart of the Science grade since I have a 3.8 math GPA out of 17 credits.

I am pretty sure that according to: https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2012/faq/faq_coursesubjects.html that mathematics and statistics DO count for your science GPA and according to this, these course subjects were for the 2012 incoming applicants

https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2012/faq/faq_coursesubjects.html

Last edited:
I know personally I hate the response that I am about to give you b/c you have to actually do it yourself, but in your situation this is what I would do: CALL THE PODIATRY SCHOOLS!!!

This does seem like an odd situation, but again I have never taken a community college credit for any part of my undergrad so I don't know what it would be like for that. But this situation seems more sticky than several other people's problems in my eyes.

I also don't mean to be rude, but how do you fail an Introductory Mathematics class but somehow get a B+ in a high statistics and an A- in a Calculus class? Math was always easy for me and I am so glad they count math as apart of the Science grade since I have a 3.8 math GPA out of 17 credits.

I am pretty sure that according to: https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2012/faq/faq_coursesubjects.html that mathematics and statistics DO count for your science GPA and according to this, these course subjects were for the 2012 incoming applicants

I looked through several sources, and let me explain why I am asking - I'm still getting mixed answers.

EMAIL I sent yesterday

Hello,

I had a question regarding gpa calculation for a non college level course. For example I took a non 100 level math course (0481) at a community college that did not go towards my gpa nor was I given college credit for it. It was a class required because of a math placement exam freshman year. Does the grade I received go towards my science gpa?

EMAIL response from AACPMAS

Thank you for contacting AACPMAS, this email is in response to your recent
inquiry. Any course for which you were given college credit will be factored
into your AACPMAS GPA. A Math course will not be factored into your Science GPA
, but it will be factored into your Overall GPA.

The response I was given indicates two things - 1.) Since the course did not count as college credit, it will not be in my GPA. And 2.) Math is not factored into Science GPA. Yet, online I am seeing something else. I sent a follow up email.

Furthermore, I spoke to someone at RFUMS and the person who I was talking to seemed like she had no idea what she was talking about....she basically said they will look at whatever math class I took that will count towards my degree, but then also saying they will still look at my old math grades. I didnt get much out of her.

And to answer your question; I am not good at math. The reason why I got high grades in Bio-stats and Calculus is because I worked my ass off, and thats not something I did when I was at community college, nor did I take that class seriously.

Last edited:
I looked through several sources, and let me explain why I am asking - I'm still getting mixed answers.

EMAIL I sent yesterday

EMAIL response from AACPMAS

The response I was given indicates two things - 1.) Since the course did not count as college credit, it will not be in my GPA. And 2.) Math is not factored into Science GPA. Yet, online I am seeing something else. I sent a follow up email.

Furthermore, I spoke to someone at RFUMS and the person who I was talking to seemed like she had no idea what she was talking about....she basically said they will look at whatever math class I took that will count towards my degree, but then also saying they will still look at my old math grades. I didnt get much out of her.

And to answer your question; I am not good at math. The reason why I got high grades in Bio-stats and Calculus is because I worked my ass off, and thats not something I did when I was at community college, nor did I take that class seriously.

I just looked at my GPA cal on AACPMAS website and math was NOT in my science GPA, or what they call it BCP GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics GPA). Math actually has is its own GPA stat, and not included in "Other Science" nor "Non-Science" GPAs. Of course everything then gets lumped together as a cGPA.

Hope this helps!

I just looked at my GPA cal on AACPMAS website and math was NOT in my science GPA, or what they call it BCP GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics GPA). Math actually has is its own GPA stat, and not included in "Other Science" nor "Non-Science" GPAs. Of course everything then gets lumped together as a cGPA.

Hope this helps!

Excellent news! Thanks!

Given that no math classes are pre-reqs for DPM, does having a low math gpa look that bad?

Sorry for all the questions, I am originally pre-pharmacy and am exploring podiatry more and dont know it inside and out yet.

Excellent news! Thanks!

Given that no math classes are pre-reqs for DPM, does having a low math gpa look that bad?

Sorry for all the questions, I am originally pre-pharmacy and am exploring podiatry more and dont know it inside and out yet.

I have no idea what weight Math GPA has with admissions. That's a question that would be better asked to admission people at the schools you are interested in attending. I know Kent is really easy to get a hold of and extremely helpful, but from what everyone has posted, all the schools are extremely helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that is a complete bummer for me. But makes no sense why you would say on your site that math and stats counts towards your science GPA given the asterisk, but when it comes down to actually calculating it math doesn't actually count.

Say one thing and do the opposite

Well that is a complete bummer for me. But makes no sense why you would say on your site that math and stats counts towards your science GPA given the asterisk, but when it comes down to actually calculating it math doesn't actually count.

Say one thing and do the opposite

Yeah its weird. I also called AACPMAS and confirmed with 2 people saying Math is excluded. Math has its own GPA, and when schools ask for your Science GPA, its your Science GPA and not Science + Math. It kind of makes sense, given there are no Math pre-preqs, but im still not really confident in any of the answers I am getting from AACPMAS.

The guy who I emailed however followed up with me and re-tracked his statement and said Math IS included. So there's that...but as stated by the previous poster, through his account Math courses weren't in his science GPA. So I think that guy is just misinformed.

Yeah its weird. I also called AACPMAS and confirmed with 2 people saying Math is excluded. Math has its own GPA, and when schools ask for your Science GPA, its your Science GPA and not Science + Math. It kind of makes sense, given there are no Math pre-preqs, but im still not really confident in any of the answers I am getting from AACPMAS.

The guy who I emailed however followed up with me and re-tracked his statement and said Math IS included. So there's that...but as stated by the previous poster, through his account Math courses weren't in his science GPA. So I think that guy is just misinformed.

Ok I took a second look at my calculations and I think I figured it out....

Once you submit your app, they verify it to transcripts and then calculate all of you GPAs. They present all your info in what I can call only describe as 2 tables: the first breaking down your GPA by academic year, and the second table breaking it down by subject.

For Table 1; Year to year GPA - Math IS included in your Science GPA. I just looked over my coursework and their calculations and matched up the credit hours to confirm this.

For Table 2; Subject GPA - Math is NOT included in the BCP GPA (which could be interpreted as science GPA since it deals with bio, chem, and physic courses). Like I said in an earlier post, math GPA is its own category in this table.

A lot of info, but hopefully this answers all questions about GPA calculations, and I apologize with the semi-wrong info I posted earlier, as I was only sharing the info from table 2. I agree it is somewhat confusing that in one table Math is grouped with Science GPA, but then left out in the 2nd table.

Yeah, not like our future depends on the correct answer to be given to us.

Kinda confused why from 2010 to 2012 math was calculated in the science grade, but for 2013 and beyond they exclude it. I wish it would be calculated. I am also freaking out b/c I am now afraid that the way the AACPM calculates grades I am afraid the way MSU does the grading system based on just a 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0.... that somehow it will be calculated much lower b/c for some reason they feel as if they can just change our cumulative GPA since a school does a different system of grades.

These last two weeks have put me in so much stress and now learning that math IS NOT in your science grade (despite numerous people saying it was and also numerous saying it is not) is making everything much worse for me.

A lot of info, but hopefully this answers all questions about GPA calculations, and I apologize with the semi-wrong info I posted earlier, as I was only sharing the info from table 2. I agree it is somewhat confusing that in one table Math is grouped with Science GPA, but then left out in the 2nd table.

No need to apologize! You gave the answer that people are being told. It just sucks that they can't just state it clear on the website. Really frustrating to know that the people working the admissions and the AACPM can't just figure out which way to do it.

I feel as if you asked 10 people who work for the committee half will give you one answer and half will give you another answer. So we won't know which one is correct b/c the people will say "I misunderstood your question"

Ok I took a second look at my calculations and I think I figured it out....

Once you submit your app, they verify it to transcripts and then calculate all of you GPAs. They present all your info in what I can call only describe as 2 tables: the first breaking down your GPA by academic year, and the second table breaking it down by subject.

For Table 1; Year to year GPA - Math IS included in your Science GPA. I just looked over my coursework and their calculations and matched up the credit hours to confirm this.

For Table 2; Subject GPA - Math is NOT included in the BCP GPA (which could be interpreted as science GPA since it deals with bio, chem, and physic courses). Like I said in an earlier post, math GPA is its own category in this table.

Do you know what they do with summer classes? Would they include them in the previous year (summer after freshman year included in freshman record) or would they be tacked onto the front of the sophomore year?

Do you know what they do with summer classes? Would they include them in the previous year (summer after freshman year included in freshman record) or would they be tacked onto the front of the sophomore year?

They tacked mine on the previous year but I might have classified them as such when filling out my app. Can't remember.

Hi Everyone! I'm a new user here, and recently just became interesed in pre-podiatry. I started out as pre-med but honestly, my grades and MCAT score wouldn't really make the cut for any DO schools, and I found that podiatry interests me a lot more anyway. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any advice as far as how many schools I should apply to (is it too late now?), and what my chances are of getting accepted with a 3.06 and a 22P. Thanks for all of your help! :)

My science gpa is at a 2.83, which I know is on the low side. Should I be re-taking the MCAT? After some research, I noticed my score is right at the average

Last edited:
Some one will take you in trust me try scholl kent temple barrru some one will take you

Apply broadly. Get killer LORs and a fantastic PS. Ur goal is too get interview invites where u can explain urself and earn a seat

Ok, so I have a BS in Biochemistry from SBU. graduted in 2011 with a GPA c2.50 flat. not sure what my science GPA was. took the MCATs on 9/2012 and got 27S
BS: 10
PS: 9
VR: 8
Recently have taken 8 credits in ANP and Chem at Farmingdale State college which was a serious JOKE compared to my undergrad at SBU. currently have a c3.7 and am registered in ANP2 and medical micro. So all this talk about where you do your undergrad and how it doesnt matter bothers me, not gonna lie..when i was in undergrad rumors floated around how an orgo professor at another school bombed one of our orgo tests. not sure if thats true, mightve been rigged mightve not even happened. just took an exam at FSU yesterday and it kind of reminded me of high school biology... thats not the point. The point is that i have proven that i understand basic sciences with my MCAT grade somewhat. I talked to an associate dean at NYCPM who took all my documents and will review them with another dean at the admissions office. Also, ive been working in dermatology as an assistant for over a year. 1000hrs+

what are my chances.

Last edited:
That cGPA will hurt you. You should contact more schools and see if they would consider an interview, since most schools cut off GPA at 2.75. Personally, I don't think the state college/cc is looked upon highly, and masters programs are higher regarded, so maybe look into a one-year SMP. Good job on the MCAT, however.

It is a terrible cum, although i did have an upward trend kind of. I never said anything about attending a cc. LOL.. Anyone ever been through a similar situation as far as having to contact admissions office? annnnd anyone know any SMP's in NY?

Which cycle are you aiming for? You would have a bigger chance if you applied early and broadly for Class of 2018.

Hey guys

A Canadian here.
my GPA is around 3.15 with a MCAT of 26O

I have around 500 hours working with the physiotherapist department, along with other EAs

What is my chance?
What are some of the Canadian friendly schools?

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I found out about podiatry schools not too long ago. What do you think my chances are? Would the fact that I have too few extracurriculars hinder me from an acceptance?

cGPA ~ 3.2
sGPS ~ 3.2
MCAT 28P

Currently in a masters program in biomedical sciences

~40 hours non-clinical volunteering
~20 hour clinical volunteering

I found out about podiatry schools not too long ago. What do you think my chances are? Would the fact that I have too few extracurriculars hinder me from an acceptance?

cGPA ~ 3.2
sGPS ~ 3.2
MCAT 28P

Currently in a masters program in biomedical sciences

~40 hours non-clinical volunteering
~20 hour clinical volunteering
Really the only way extracurricular things will hold you back is if you don't have any shadowing experience with a podiatrist. You should shadow enough to know that podiatry is the career for you because you're going to be asked "How do you know podiatry is for you?" or "Why podiatry?" at every interview. Most (all maybe) schools will require or at least highly recommend a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist as well. Your grades are average, but your MCAT is above average so you should be good with that.

Hey guys

A Canadian here.

I have around 500 hours working with the physiotherapist department, along with other EAs

What is my chance?

Thanks!

You should be good even though the GPA is a bit low because the MCAT sort of balances it out. I don't think any school is friendlier to Canadians than any other. We had a Canuck in my class in Arizona and I''ve met several canadians rotating through from other schools.

Hey guys

A Canadian here.

What is my chance?

Thanks!

NYCPM has quite a few Canadian students. We usually have 3-5 every year. Also, we have an affiliation with one of the Canadian schools (I believe from Quebec) where their 3rd (or 4th?) year students spend a semester on our rotations to gain more clinical exposure.

3.0 GPA
2.7 sGPA
22 MCAT

I know my GPA is low but I went to a very prestigious college that is well known for being difficult and is one of the top 10 colleges in the nation for sending students to medical school.

Any chance this cycle? Or is it too late?

3.0 GPA
2.7 sGPA
22 MCAT

I know my GPA is low but I went to a very prestigious college that is well known for being difficult and is one of the top 10 colleges in the nation for sending students to medical school.

Do already have all your LoRs? Shadowing experience? Also, is there a particular school(s) that you want to apply to? Are you just looking for anywhere you can get a seat this cycle?

As long as your MCAT breakdown isn't below say, 6 on any subject, your scores are pretty par for the course for podiatry (GPA is a little bit on the lower side though). If you apply broadly to schools with larger class sizes like Kent, Scholl, Temple then you should have a chance. I would apply quickly though.

3.0 GPA
2.7 sGPA
22 MCAT

As the previous post dictates, if u have all ur paperwork in order, apply apply apply right away. aim for the larger schools bcuz its already late and ur sGPA is rather low. u should have decent shot IMO.

Does all the pod schools require a LOR from a podiatric?

My transcripts finally arrived omg three weeks later. Now the real waiting begins I hope I still have a chance.

Hey guys just wondering my chances apply towards the middle/endish of this ap cycle. Any input is appreciated.
1. Applying to Barry, Scholl, and DMU
2. cGPA 3.5/sGPA 3.3
3. 23 MCAT
4. Tons of hours shadowing and strong LOR from POD
5. summer work at Veterans hospital (not so much clinical, more clerical not sure this is helpful)
6. very little EC experience
still waiting on LORs from professors and won't be very strong letters.

Hey guys just wondering my chances apply towards the middle/endish of this ap cycle. Any input is appreciated.
2. cGPA 3.5/sGPA 3.3
3. 23 MCAT
5. summer work at Veterans hospital (not so much clinical, more clerical not sure this is helpful)

You'll get into one of the three. Send your transcripts ASAP. You can push the submit button even though you don't have your LORs yet.

2. cGPA 3.5/sGPA 3.3
3. 23 MCAT

Seeing the DMU FB group it is starting to get kind of full, that could be the only sticking point, but you have the numbers.

I emailed the schools I applied to and asked how full they were. Scholl said one third full. DMU said they would never give out exact numbers and to apply early soooo I have no idea about them. But I was surprised at Scholls answer and it gives me hope haha

I emailed the schools I applied to and asked how full they were. Scholl said one third full. DMU said they would never give out exact numbers and to apply early soooo I have no idea about them. But I was surprised at Scholls answer and it gives me hope haha

Several of us have been keeping an eye on DMU. About 2-3 weeks ago DMU had 10 slots open. Haven't checked recently.

You'll get into one of the three. Send your transcripts ASAP. You can push the submit button even though you don't have your LORs yet.

Good to hear. I am just waiting on transcripts to be sent and then my application will be complete and I will submit. I wasn't sure if the lack of ECs would hurt me. I know my gpa and scores are right on average.

Seeing the DMU FB group it is starting to get kind of full, that could be the only sticking point, but you have the numbers.

DMU would probably be my second choice behind Barry because its close to home so that's good. Although I have heard good things about DMU and wouldn't mind an interview there. The podiatrist I shadow says DMU would be her first choice if she was applying now.