This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about you stop bashing me and mind your own business, im not talking to you so theres no need for you to continue giving me advice on what i should/should not do.

Haha you posted on a public forum. And do not be mistaken, when you talk about my stats I will most definitely comment. This conversation is over its like talking to a child. Thanks for some entertainment.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Member 102049 did you apply to all of the schools or just those 3?

I applied to those 3 plus Western and Scholl. Crossing my fingers for the last two right now, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I think stats definitely play a large role in your application, but I'm sure they take into consideration extracurriculars, experiences, letters of recommendations, etc. so two people with relatively similar stats may not be granted acceptance at the same time. But overall, everyone here has the same goal in mind, so let's try to help each other as much as we can! :)

I'm wondering if my letters of recommendations would have helped me a little, I'm still in the process of collecting the last 2. I know it's not required to submit your application, just before you start school, but I can't help but wonder.

Anyway, thanks for all your help/input everyone!

Im crossing my fingers for you too! I hope you get in! My biggest problem is the mcat, idk why but i just cant do well. How did u study for it?

Im crossing my fingers for you too! I hope you get in! My biggest problem is the mcat, idk why but i just cant do well. How did u study for it?

Thanks calibaby1212! I took a Kaplan course last summer, but it didn't help that much. I still have the books, so I'm just reading through them right now. I also tutor in the general sciences so that has really helped as well. (Yes, I tutor although I have a low science GPA, but that's because I slacked off at the beginning of undergrad. I DO know the material pretty well though haha)

That was me Cali and you're always so concerned with grades. You yourself ask almost daily about other people's grades so they DO matter. He didn't ask for a steadfast way on how to get in but a way to make himself more marketable and I have my opinion. They wouldn't state a 3.0 is advisable if it didn't mean something. Bring the GPA up it won't hurt them to do so in any way shape or form. And I got in to kent because I was able to explain my situation, show my tenacity and amazing personality, and really sell myself. Where have you gotten in? Stop being a jerk.

Not that it REALLY matters, but I'm female :) Just out of curiosity, Deleonrg, how were you able to explain your situation? Was it through your personal statement? I wasn't sure if we could/should address grades in the PS or not since there's a word count... congrats on getting into Kent! :thumbup:

Not that it REALLY matters, but I'm female :) Just out of curiosity, Deleonrg, how were you able to explain your situation? Was it through your personal statement? I wasn't sure if we could/should address grades in the PS or not since there's a word count... congrats on getting into Kent! :thumbup:

Pm me and we can chat!

Sorry, but a cGPA 2.88 and sGPA 2.63 should not get you into any of the schools no matter what the rest of your app has in it.

If you really want this, you need to dramatically increase your GPA.

Sorry, but a cGPA 2.88 and sGPA 2.63 should not get you into any of the schools no matter what the rest of your app has in it.

You sure about that? Look at Scholl's or Barry's range. MCAT in the 20s would get you in with that gpa.

With 21 posts and a member since 2009 that's the post you choose to comment on?

People think grades are everything but history has shown those that are smart on paper can make horrible doctors and have terrible bedside manner so the entire application does matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly agree with Deleonrg, im sorry if i affended you in any way but i didnt mean to, my point earlier about the op's grades wasnt to put anyone down but to make a point that grades shouldnt be everything. I have a decent gpa between a 3.2-3.3 but im struggling on the mcat and to me that shouldnt decide whether or not i become a great doctor. I have a great personality and i know what it takes to treat patients and people with respect which is why i want to work with people and help them.

I honestly agree with Deleonrg, im sorry if i affended you in any way but i didnt mean to, my point earlier about the op's grades wasnt to put anyone down but to make a point that grades shouldnt be everything. I have a decent gpa between a 3.2-3.3 but im struggling on the mcat and to me that shouldnt decide whether or not i become a great doctor. I have a great personality and i know what it takes to treat patients and people with respect which is why i want to work with people and help them.

Except for the fact that MCAT scores have a pretty solid correlation to board passing rate...and board passing rate tests your ability to learn the material. Many would argue that MCAT scores are much more indicative of success in medical cool than ugrad gpa. The MCAT is standardized...gpa from institution to institution is not.

Ive heard differently regarding correlation between the mcat and boards.

Except for the fact that MCAT scores have a pretty solid correlation to board passing rate...and board passing rate tests your ability to learn the material. Many would argue that MCAT scores are much more indicative of success in medical cool than ugrad gpa. The MCAT is standardized...gpa from institution to institution is not.

i would have to agree. There is inflation when it comes to GPA varying with schools but the one standard that remains unaltered, whether ur from Harvard or the local community college (no offense intended to anyone who might have gone to a CC. just wanted to make a stark comparison) is the MCAT.

I agree both those are important but not the end all be all. Other factors are important as well. A person may be a great test taker but hates chemistry and can't grasp it for their life thus bringing down their score. It's not black and white. Thanks for the apology. I didn't go to DMU bc I knew if pick kent anyway do why spend the money on travel.

deleonrg, very happy on ur acceptance! so wht did u decide abt ur dogs? are they coming along for the POD school ride?

I just dont want my mcat being the deciding factor and hopefully i get the chance to show off my personality like you did. You should have went to DMU, im sure you would have gotten in.

i would have to agree. There is inflation when it comes to GPA varying with schools but the one standard that remains unaltered, whether ur from Harvard or the local community college (no offense intended to anyone who might have gone to a CC. just wanted to make a stark comparison) is the MCAT.

:thumbup:

And deleonrg- in this scenario are you referring to chem bringing down your MCAT or gpa? If MCAT, from my experience, there aren't enough questions on one specific subject (ie chem) to truly tank a score. It's a very diverse test, with the exception of the VR section, which you either get or you don't. As for GPA, short of being a chem major, not doing great in chem courses isn't going to tank an overall science gpa, as you still have to have Cs (2.0) to pass.

Cali- not sure where you've heard otherwise, but I would question it. Yes, the "total package" is what they're looking for, however it seems as though many more with below average gpas are getting in with above average mcats than the other way round. I'd even wager that adcoms weigh the VR section of the MCAT a little more heavily, as it tests your ability to read critically and discern useful information from useless information, in a stressful test environment, as opposed to typical PS or BS type questions which are more "cut and dry" if you will.

I just dont want my mcat being the deciding factor and hopefully i get the chance to show off my personality like you did. You should have went to DMU, im sure you would have gotten in.

If you can get your MCAT to the 18-20 range, chances are some schools will "give you a chance to show off your personality." If not, and I really don't mean to be offensive, then there shouldn't be a place for you in any medical school. The MCAT is just another standardized test. A 20 is far below 50th percentile. It's not terribly difficult to do, and if someone can't buckle down and study for a few weeks to get a 20, then why should a school take a chance in admitting them?

$0.02

I know this is out of topic but how old is the average pod student?

:thumbup:

And deleonrg- in this scenario are you referring to chem bringing down your MCAT or gpa? If MCAT, from my experience, there aren't enough questions on one specific subject (ie chem) to truly tank a score. It's a very diverse test, with the exception of the VR section, which you either get or you don't. As for GPA, short of being a chem major, not doing great in chem courses isn't going to tank an overall science gpa, as you still have to have Cs (2.0) to pass.

Cali- not sure where you've heard otherwise, but I would question it. Yes, the "total package" is what they're looking for, however it seems as though many more with below average gpas are getting in with above average mcats than the other way round. I'd even wager that adcoms weigh the VR section of the MCAT a little more heavily, as it tests your ability to read critically and discern useful information from useless information, in a stressful test environment, as opposed to typical PS or BS type questions which are more "cut and dry" if you will.

The point of my post is that it's not black and white, look at the whole package of the person. If you get an interview and the opportunity to explain why your grades are lower or this or that, sell yourself the best you can. Point blank, done

deleonrg, very happy on ur acceptance! so wht did u decide abt ur dogs? are they coming along for the POD school ride?

Those b*#$%#S are coming with me haha. I invested way too much time and money to just leave them behind. Besides, no one will love them/abuse them the way I do haha j/k. But no seriously, I couldn't live without them.

Yea, you're right, I probably would have gotten in to all 9 had I visited them, even though I only applied to 4. The other 5 would have heard about me and accepted me as well. But you know, I'm only one person and there's not enough to go around so Kent was the lucky one.

Scholl and temple. I didn't realize temple mailed out their interviews so I found it two weeks later lol.

Lol thats funny, so idk if i asked u before but whats ur sgpa? I just wanna know because i wanna see if i should take a few extra classes to boast it up. My orgo gpa isnt that good so kent told me to take biochemistry which i did and i received a 3.1 in it. Also what else did u have in ur app that made it stand out? Any awesome ec that u did or are apart of?

Oh and by the way my sgpa is around a 3.0, it might be a little higher actually.

Oh and by the way my sgpa is around a 3.0, it might be a little higher actually.

Cali, I don't know how many have said it before, but I'll say it again. Your gpa isn't holding you back. Your MCAT score and whatever fear you have of buckling down, studying your ass off, and getting a good score is. You don't need stellar ECs and your gpa is fine. Look at the stats thread.

Edit: this has gotten so far away from wamc. Seriously, just look at the stats thread.

Thanks...?
I obviously know that my GPA isn't that great, and I posted asking people's opinions on how I could improve my GPA since I've already graduated. Would just taking some classes at a university help improve it? What kind of classes? Would it matter if it was a community college? I don't want to take a whole year of classes, full-time, if it's not necessary.

Just wait first to see if the other schools offer u an interview and if not then have u taken courses like microbiology and biochemistry? U can also do a postbacc and retake the classes u struggled in, if u can get it to at least a 3.0 then u should be fine but like i said i would wait to see what the other schools say first.

Thanks...?
I obviously know that my GPA isn't that great, and I posted asking people's opinions on how I could improve my GPA since I've already graduated. Would just taking some classes at a university help improve it? What kind of classes? Would it matter if it was a community college? I don't want to take a whole year of classes, full-time, if it's not necessary.

there are pre-med post-bac programs, but that is another 1-2 year commitment. my suggestion is to make a 3 month full-time commitment to study hardcore for the MCATs. a good score there is a great indicator that you are capable of studying hard and performing well on standardized exams, which shows administrators that you can handle studying and passing boards (in which we have 3 of them to pass just to get out of school)

Thanks...?

Do not take classes over unless you failed them or recorded lower than a C. It really won't help much because both classes are considered in your GPA, most likely not grade replacement. I would take 2-3 classes you haven't taken before. I took human anatomy( got to look at cadavers, very good class, I loved it) microbiology and maybe physiology. I didn't take physiology but would have loved too. If anything it shows you're continuing to further your education. I took them at a community college. Unless you're prepared to do A 1-2 year commitment I would o a post bacc.

I've shadowed a Podiatrist, and loved it - surprisingly. I went into the physicians office, and was shocked to see so many patients. Would never in a million years believe that foot and ankle care was in such demand. The overall experience has been fantastic.

I had a terrible first 2 years, didn't really care about my classes, and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, but I was leaning towards something in the medical field.

I have a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. My last 60 units are ~ 3.8 GPA.
Without taking courses, and only studying for 2 months, I got a 21R :laugh: :(

Now, I've been taking courses, and my MCAT practice scores are 29-31.

I recently found out that MCAT scores are somewhat lower for Pod schools? Correct if I'm wrong, I'm just saying what I've heard through others.

Should I retake the MCAT or just apply with the 21R?

Thanks guyz.

I would just apply now and see what happens. You seem to have a very strong upward trend which is possibly indicative of academic maturation that may be looked upon favorably by the admissions committees. BTW, yes you are correct, the averages for the MCAT have been lower in some of the pod schools. This link will show you the national matriculant average up to the 2011 matriculant class: http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/Matriculant_MCAT.pdf

I am pretty sure there is more updated information but at least it should give you an idea of where you stand. Personally, I think you will be fine. Best of luck to you!

Apply broadly and get ready to take the MCAT again just in case. I think you'll be fine...

I'd take it again. Don't sell yourself short. If you score high 20s or low 30s you'll be looking at more scholarship money. A few grand may not sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but it's a big return on the $250 ( or whatever it costs) investment to take the MCAT.

Are you looking at specific schools or just looking to get into any school?

Thanks for all the advice guyz.

I'm looking at WesternU. And it's not that late to apply for this year?

My advisor emailed me back. She says I'm a "shoe in" (pun intended).

smh, terrible joke.

You could still apply but it is very late in the cycle. You could very well get in to one of the bigger schools like Kent Temple or Scholl, but limited number of available seats might hurt you with the smaller schools like DMU Western and AZ.

You could still apply but it is very late in the cycle. You could very well get in to one of the bigger schools like Kent Temple or Scholl, but limited number of available seats might hurt you with the smaller schools like DMU Western and AZ.

Says priority registration is April 1. Can't be that late?

and thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure what the priority date truly means, I hope someone else on here could explain that to the both of us. From the conversation I had with Kent's admissions staff back in the fall, you can apply up to June 30th. Not recommended though.

EDIT: Here's an explanation https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2013/faq/faq_deadlines.html
If the school(s) have seats available they will look at you application. Your best bet is to call each school and see where they are in filling their class. Good luck!

Last edited:

However admissions started in September, so we're 8 months into the game, so yes, it's late. I can tell you IF DMU has any spots left, it's no more than 2, and I would imagine the other small schools are about the same.