Official Pulmonary Critical Care 2017-2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you apply to PCCM programs only or apply for purely CCM programs as well?

Its December so needless to say im squaring up for next years rounds. If anybody is still answering to this thread I have a few questions.

I am contemplating signing up for an unaccredited Hospitalist/CMM with 7 months of CCM and 5 months of hospitalist work in a low-mid tier program. I currently am an IMG-US Citizen from community program, with 2 manuscripts ( 1 review article and 1 restrospective study), 1 underway (another review article), to low impact journals (IF 2-4), 8-10 Case reports at both regional and national conferences, with about 5 being published online (not pubmed indexed), 1 metanalysis poster. This year I applied pretty late in the game and very narrowly (early August to 10 programs). Would it be worth my time doing this fellowship or should I rake in the cash for a year as a hospitalist and try again early next year?

PS the unaccredited programs salary is about double of a fellow, in case this should be a factor in the equation.
Did

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to PCCM programs only or apply for purely CCM programs as well?

Did
Just CCM, I applied late because I had some trouble chasing down my authors. This year im gonna go all out and apply to both, I think I might have all my ducks in a row this time.

Just CCM, I applied late because I had some trouble chasing down my authors. This year im gonna go all out and apply to both, I think I might have all my ducks in a row this time.
oh, any additional advice would be much appreciated as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its December so needless to say im squaring up for next years rounds. If anybody is still answering to this thread I have a few questions.

I am contemplating signing up for an unaccredited Hospitalist/CMM with 7 months of CCM and 5 months of hospitalist work in a low-mid tier program. I currently am an IMG-US Citizen from community program, with 2 manuscripts ( 1 review article and 1 restrospective study), 1 underway (another review article), to low impact journals (IF 2-4), 8-10 Case reports at both regional and national conferences, with about 5 being published online (not pubmed indexed), 1 metanalysis poster. This year I applied pretty late in the game and very narrowly (early August to 10 programs). Would it be worth my time doing this fellowship or should I rake in the cash for a year as a hospitalist and try again early next year?

PS the unaccredited programs salary is about double of a fellow, in case this should be a factor in the equation.
Never head of such a thing. Don’t waste your time.

oh, any additional advice would be much appreciated as well!

So CCM programs are tradionally out of the match. However, they are easier to get into than traditional PCCM program. But they also take a lot from in-house and who you know plays a huge role. Someone from my program applied only to PCCM and did not match and was able to get a CCM interview amd spot based on a phone call from one of our PCCM attendings.

CCM programs are out of the match because there is no match for IM based CCM programs - none of them participate in the match. There are approximately 5 times more combined PCCM programs than CCM alone ones. Some CCM programs can be more competitive as there are applicants who have completed training in other IM subspecialties. Usually people who have completed 2 year pulmonary fellowships or nephrologists but during my interview trail I also ran into couple of cardiology fellows looking to add critical care. Many of these types will be strong candidates.

It can be easy to add a pulmonary fellowship after completing a 2 year CCM fellowship but it will take 4 years to complete your training. If you have any interest at all in practicing pulmonary you are better off doing a combined program. 2 year CCM programs are a good option for those who are extremely sure they are not interested in practicing in an outpatient setting. I have an absolute distaste for clinic, have no interest in lung cancer/COPD, and couldn't myself doing 3 years of pulmonary clinic during fellowship - if this is something you can relate to then CCM alone is a good option for you. You can always practice 100% CCM if you are Pulm/CC like many dual trained do but won't be able do any pulmonary if you are only CCM trained.

CCM programs are out of the match because there is no match for IM based CCM programs - none of them participate in the match. There are approximately 5 times more combined PCCM programs than CCM alone ones. Some CCM programs can be more competitive as there are applicants who have completed training in other IM subspecialties. Usually people who have completed 2 year pulmonary fellowships or nephrologists but during my interview trail I also ran into couple of cardiology fellows looking to add critical care. Many of these types will be strong candidates.

It can be easy to add a pulmonary fellowship after completing a 2 year CCM fellowship but it will take 4 years to complete your training. If you have any interest at all in practicing pulmonary you are better off doing a combined program. 2 year CCM programs are a good option for those who are extremely sure they are not interested in practicing in an outpatient setting. I have an absolute distaste for clinic, have no interest in lung cancer/COPD, and couldn't myself doing 3 years of pulmonary clinic during fellowship - if this is something you can relate to then CCM alone is a good option for you. You can always practice 100% CCM if you are Pulm/CC like many dual trained do but won't be able do any pulmonary if you are only CCM trained.

You sound like me. Yeah, my future program has three fellows coming in that finished cards fellowships and are adding CCM training.

The only reason I would consider the CCM/hospitalist job would be if the place also had a PCCM/CCM fellowship you were interested in (which I'm sure they don't if they have an unaccredited program).

Otherwise I'm not sure how useful it would be as a lot of people don't even know they exist. A year or two of hospitalist medicine is not a bad idea because the $ is great and you can payoff loans if you have them. I would lean towards that.

I matched to my #1. I decided very late in my 3rd year of residency to apply to pccm. So I had no choice but to do hospitalist medicine this year. It has been an awesome experience working autonomously and I'm learning a lot this year. The money has been amazing. Ive traveled a lot and bought some toys.

One big advantage I realized during interview season was that I was free to travel as much as I wanted to interviews across the country without the constraints of residency.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I matched to my #1. I decided very late in my 3rd year of residency to apply to pccm. So I had no choice but to do hospitalist medicine this year. It has been an awesome experience working autonomously and I'm learning a lot this year. The money has been amazing. Ive traveled a lot and bought some toys.

One big advantage I realized during interview season was that I was free to travel as much as I wanted to interviews across the country without the constraints of residency.

I'm heading to So Cal in June for my dream fellowship!

Oh I do have to add one comment between ccm vs pccm. It is true that if u have no interest in outpatient pulm and only care for intensivist lifestyle than ccm may make sense. At this point, being an intensivist is what excites me, but the reason I went pccm was that i wanted to keep all options open. For instance, if u wanna stay in academics most faculty are pccm and not just ccm. Also if u have any interest in going into interventional pulm u'd have to have the pulm component. So at this point i have no idea if i want community vs academic or IP vs just straight intensivist, so i wanna have as many options this early on in my career. Also being dual specialized in both critical care medicine & pulm diseases is pretty dope.

Congrats to everyone that pre-matched/matched! If u didnt, hang in there. Your perseverance will pay off.

Applying this year, current PGY2, didn't want to spam the main board so I figured I'll post here. Question is how does it look to have ongoing research projects (IRB approved, in the works, but not submitted yet)? I got no research publications and 2 ongoing projects that are decent. Just worried about my chances. My specs: IMG, low-end uni IM program, 240 +/- 2 on all of my steps, a few case posters, random bull**** fluff. Im getting into the research game late. Thanks in advance. I think yall know what its like to be in my position. Advice may not change the course of my path but it'll treat my anxiety!!

Applying this year, current PGY2, didn't want to spam the main board so I figured I'll post here. Question is how does it look to have ongoing research projects (IRB approved, in the works, but not submitted yet)? I got no research publications and 2 ongoing projects that are decent. Just worried about my chances. My specs: IMG, low-end uni IM program, 240 +/- 2 on all of my steps, a few case posters, random bull**** fluff. Im getting into the research game late. Thanks in advance. I think yall know what its like to be in my position. Advice may not change the course of my path but it'll treat my anxiety!!

I think your board scores should secure you interviews as long as you apply broadly and have good letters of recommendation. Don’t skimp out on applying > 30 programs and be real with your choices.

You’ll match into your top 3 mid tier programs. You’ll get plenty of interviews. You’re not going to WashU, Emory, Duke, Denver or something like that, but you’ll end up in a decent program as long as there isn’t anything else glaring.