Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please help me rank these. I am interested in strong academic programs and am interested in Oncology.

Johns Hopkins
Cornell
U Chicago
Mt Sinai
Mayo Clinic-Rochester, MN
Northwestern
Barnes-Jewish WashU
U Michigan
Cleveland Clinic
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
Dartmouth
Emory
USC
Jefferson
Emory
Mayo-Jacksonville
Boston U

Members don't see this ad.

Please help me rank these. I am interested in strong academic programs and am interested in Oncology.

Johns Hopkins
Cornell
U Chicago
Mt Sinai
Mayo Clinic-Rochester, MN
Northwestern
Barnes-Jewish WashU
U Michigan
Cleveland Clinic
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
Dartmouth
Emory
USC
Jefferson
Emory
Mayo-Jacksonville
Boston U

Hopkins (opens doors for nearly all onc programs)
Cornell (opens doors for Sloan)
Barnes-Jewish=Mayo=Sinai=NW
All the rest

Members don't see this ad :)
"Oft mentioned" is a big stretch. Two posts down someone explained that the term was created to piss off the Hopkinsphile Moonglow. I've never seen it mentioned otherwise.

Probably should have put quotation marks around "oft mentioned" or added smilies or something. This was intended as a bit of a joke, but clearly didn't come through. In any case, Columbia and Duke are both great programs (obviously) despite my Columbia bias.

Appreciate the advice, interested in cards.

Boston Univ
Univ of Minnesota
UAB
Baylor
Hopkins - Bayview
Univ of Maryland
Washington Hospital, dc
Temple
Univ of Miami - Jackson

Geez. It's almost like the only "ranking" anyone can do anymore is regurgitate the same few top places and ignore anyone asking the harder questions about more middle of the road programs. "oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, which do I rank first, ucsf, b&w, or Hopkins?!" Really? Like it really ****ing matters. I'm done helping anyone put together an elite rank listing. Now this is a list I can help with . . . To many elitist, neurotic, gunner-kids posting in mah forumuz for my tastes. I guess its been the same the last three years and will continue to be. I can't fix idiotic.

UAB
Baylor
Minn
Maryland
Bayview
BU
Temple
the rest

To many elitist, neurotic, gunner-kids posting in mah forumuz for my tastes. I guess its been the same the last three years and will continue to be. I can't fix idiotic.

Why so critical? There are a lot of factors to consider when making these decisions and it's valuable for people to hear the perspectives those outside of their home institution or personal bubble. A choice between more recognizable names isn't necessarily an easier one. Ignore the posts you dislike. You don't legislate which questions are asked.

Why so critical? There are a lot of factors to consider when making these decisions and it's valuable for people to hear the perspectives those outside of their home institution or personal bubble. A choice between more recognizable names isn't necessarily an easier one. Ignore the posts you dislike. You don't legislate which questions are asked.

Oh this is rich.

Are you serious?! You actually have the ****ing temerity to tell me to "ignore" posts, when you so obviously couldn't? That's ****ing priceless.

A last word here: I ain't "legislating" **** hoss. Perhaps you may have noticed, you get to post what you want? If you don't like my opinion about the neurotics around here you are free to go outside and play hide and go **** yourself . . . Or . . . Ignore it. Amirite!?!?!??!??

Oh this is rich.

Are you serious?! You actually have the ****ing temerity to tell me to "ignore" posts, when you so obviously couldn't? That's ****ing priceless.

A last word here: I ain't "legislating" **** hoss. Perhaps you may have noticed, you get to post what you want? If you don't like my opinion about the neurotics around here you are free to go outside and play hide and go **** yourself . . . Or . . . Ignore it. Amirite!?!?!??!??

I was just curious why you were so critical. Based on your post count, you're clearly a long-time contributor. It's precisely the advice of you and others like you that people want when they post in the first place, especially in this type of thread. I just don't understand why a certain list composition makes such requests so loathsome. If I was overly adversarial before, I apologize.

My top 3 choices are all in different time zones. I think there are many interesting places to live in this country beyond the coasts and Chicago, and I think that residency is the last really good chance you will have to go to a new town and have an instant 100+ pool of ready-made friends, so why not go someplace sorta out of your comfort zone? Especially if the training is pretty much equivalent, which I happen to think is the case for a large chunk of university programs behind the top 5-10. You can always relocate back home for fellowship and/or practice; it's not THAT difficult.

Wow. That is pretty awesome and open minded.
You really think the friends circle will be that large and ready made? hmmm...we can hope

You really think the friends circle will be that large and ready made? hmmm...we can hope

I don't know if it will be a huge pool of "instant friends" but you're in it together with a big group of co-residents (and residents in other specialties as well) so it certainly gives you something to start with. Whether any of them becomes and stays your BFF will vary, but no matter where you go, you'll have a group of people to have shared work and non-work experiences with.

"oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, which do I rank first, ucsf, b&w, or Hopkins?!" Really? Like it really ****ing matters....To many elitist, neurotic, gunner-kids posting in mah forumuz for my tastes. .. I can't fix idiotic.

I wish there was a LIKE button :D, but this works: :thumbup:

I am considering both pulm critical care and GI for fellowship. I would like a strong academic program, where the residents seem to get along with well with each other. In my case, city size/location is not necessarily something I care a huge amount about.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to rank the following:

Case Western Reserve
U of Chicago
U of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
U of W, Madison
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
Tufts
Wash U
Emory
Vanderbilt

Thanks!

I was just curious why you were so critical. Based on your post count, you're clearly a long-time contributor. It's precisely the advice of you and others like you that people want when they post in the first place, especially in this type of thread. I just don't understand why a certain list composition makes such requests so loathsome. If I was overly adversarial before, I apologize.

No. I get cranky. Sorry.

Look, I remember this being a crazy-making time if the year. But the bottom line is that ANY program on a great list will do for you everything you want it too. So all the mental masturbation about which elite program is "better" is really pretty ridiculous the way we are talking about it.

Rank where YOU liked it best. I get tired of repeating to people that seem to have lost their damn minds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez. It's almost like the only "ranking" anyone can do anymore is regurgitate the same few top places and ignore anyone asking the harder questions about more middle of the road programs. "oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, which do I rank first, ucsf, b&w, or Hopkins?!" Really? Like it really ****ing matters. I'm done helping anyone put together an elite rank listing. Now this is a list I can help with . . . To many elitist, neurotic, gunner-kids posting in mah forumuz for my tastes. I guess its been the same the last three years and will continue to be. I can't fix idiotic.

UAB
Baylor
Minn
Maryland
Bayview
BU
Temple
the rest

Hi jdh71, thanks for your reply. Would you really rank Baylor that high? the fellowship match list didn't seem that impressive... in terms of cards fellowship, I was thinking UAB > BU = Minn > Baylor > Maryland >> temple....... and Bayview is really hard to rank..... what are your thoughts?

I am considering both pulm critical care and GI for fellowship. I would like a strong academic program, where the residents seem to get along with well with each other. In my case, city size/location is not necessarily something I care a huge amount about.

Case Western Reserve
U of Chicago
U of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
U of W, Madison
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
Tufts
Wash U
Emory
Vanderbilt

Thanks!

Vandy=WashU
Chicago=Emory=Wisconsin
NWern=Pitt
Rush=Loyola=Tufts=Case

Hi jdh71, thanks for your reply. Would you really rank Baylor that high? the fellowship match list didn't seem that impressive... in terms of cards fellowship, I was thinking UAB > BU = Minn > Baylor > Maryland >> temple....... and Bayview is really hard to rank..... what are your thoughts?

I don't think that's a bad way to go with your list, honestly. I still like Minn beter than BU, unless you wan to live in Boston, and I don't. I like your changed around list because you've added your on thoughts to it, which makes it a better list.

Much has been said on this board about what goes into a fellowship match. And simply looking at a programs list of card matches and seeing one place sent 2 people to duke for cards and another sent 1, is simply too simplistic way to look a it. You don't know where the people who applied wanted to go.

I put together my list based upon a certain personal gestalt of how I see these programs in the academic food chain for IM and just for IM alone. And the differences may be so small as to be negligible for all practical purposes.

I don't think that's a bad way to go with your list, honestly. I still like Minn beter than BU, unless you wan to live in Boston, and I don't. I like your changed around list because you've added your on thoughts to it, which makes it a better list.

Much has been said on this board about what goes into a fellowship match. And simply looking at a programs list of card matches and seeing one place sent 2 people to duke for cards and another sent 1, is simply too simplistic way to look a it. You don't know where the people who applied wanted to go.

I put together my list based upon a certain personal gestalt of how I see these programs in the academic food chain for IM and just for IM alone. And the differences may be so small as to be negligible for all practical purposes.

Thanks !!

Interested in Onc.

Duke
Mayo-Rochester
Baylor
UCSD
OHSU
Colorado
Utah
Cal-Pac
Cedars
Harbor-UCLA
Mayo-Scottsdale
UC-Davis

Interested in Onc.

Duke
Mayo-Rochester
Baylor
UCSD
OHSU
Colorado
Utah
Cal-Pac
Cedars
Harbor-UCLA
Mayo-Scottsdale
UC-Davis

Interesting list...a little odd even. But here you go, by tiers:

Duke
-----------
Mayo-Rochester
Baylor
UCSD
OHSU
Colorado
Utah
-----------
CPMC
UC-Davis
Harbor
-----------
Mayo-Scottsdale

You could easily split that 2nd group up but they're all similar solid programs with good training and fellowship opportunities. Baylor maybe less so from the Onc perspective (the only reason I would move it down a notch). You could also argue moving Harbor down a notch...or not.

Any input on how these rank based on academic "reputation." Kinda targeted three areas but I have no restriction in geography b/w them. Thanks a bunch!!

Baylor
UTHSCSA
UTH
UIC
Loyola
Rush
UCI
USC
Cedars
Scripps
UCLA-OV

Case Western Reserve
U of Chicago
U of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
U of W, Madison
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
Tufts
Wash U
Emory
Vanderbilt

Thanks!

WashU
Chicago
Northwestern=Vandy
Case=Emory=Pitt
Tufts=Wisconsin
Rush=Loyola

I'm looking to be in DC or surrounding area while preparing for an IM career. I don't anticipate doing a fellowship at this time. I asked about Spanish-speaking populations at all interviews and got vague answers just about everywhere. Which places would you recommend for greater Hispanic populations and how would you factor it into the rest of residency considerations? While that's an interest of mine, I want a solid medicine background to set me up well for practicing in whatever environment I find myself down the road. As an mid-tier school AMG with an average IM application, do I need to risk ranking the Virginia programs and being 2.5 hrs from DC or should DC/Baltimore suffice?

---current thoughts:
GWU
WHC
Maryland
Georgetown
UVA
VCU
---probably won't rank:
Hopkins-Sinai
Howard

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Haha I don't mean they will all be my friends. That of course won't happen. There's always people you won't get along with. What I mean is that I'll be a part of this huge group and we'll all face the same adversities, and by and large, we will bond over that. That's a unique thing, and this is the last time I'll have this vibe - I don't think it will be this way at either the fellowship or attending level. So because of this, I know I can make new, lifelong friends among my fellow residents no matter where I go, and it's why I say if you're fortunate enough to have the opportunity, why not try somewhere new and exciting? Have some faith in yourself and what you have to offer :)

I'm looking to be in DC or surrounding area while preparing for an IM career. I don't anticipate doing a fellowship at this time. I asked about Spanish-speaking populations at all interviews and got vague answers just about everywhere. Which places would you recommend for greater Hispanic populations and how would you factor it into the rest of residency considerations? While that's an interest of mine, I want a solid medicine background to set me up well for practicing in whatever environment I find myself down the road. As an mid-tier school AMG with an average IM application, do I need to risk ranking the Virginia programs and being 2.5 hrs from DC or should DC/Baltimore suffice?

---current thoughts:
GWU
WHC
Maryland
Georgetown
UVA
VCU
---probably won't rank:
Hopkins-Sinai
Howard

Thanks!

Well I think a question you might want to ask is would you rather sit out a year if you don't match into your top 4? What kind of feed back have you gotten at GWU, WHC, Maryland, Georgetown?

Interested in GI
-NYHQ/Cornell
-UPMC Mercy
-UNSOM Las Vegas
-University of Puerto Rico (home) has GI, Cards, Hem-Onc, and most IM subspecialities.

Right now, my rank list right after interviews looks like this.

MSSM
OHSU
UNC
UVa
Emory
Wash U
UTSW
UAB
Jefferson
UF

Will not rank: Wake Forest, BU

Comments? How big of a difference is there between UNC/UVa and Wash U/UTSW? Will I be making a significant sacrifice in fellowship options, esp in terms of location? Also, is the consensus here that UNC, UVa, Emory, OHSU and MSSM all offer similar training and career opportunities and one will not go wrong picking based on location, gut feeling and resident happiness?

Hi, I am interested in Heme/Onc and want to go to a good academic program and be competitive for fellowship. I have my top 3 choice but am unsure of the rest. Your help is greatly appreciated.:luck:

1)Wash U
2)Vandy
3) Emory

University of south florida: PD was great, has moffitt cancer center and they take some fellows internally, but not a lot of their residents go into Heme/Onc and I have heard mixed things about the residency program: not much teaching, did not see any interns on interview day. I don't want to chase fellowship and go to a bad residency program.(any thoughts on this?)

University of Cincinnati
University of Louisville
Rush
Arizona

Thanks.

Right now, my rank list right after interviews looks like this.

MSSM
OHSU
UNC
UVa
Emory
Wash U
UTSW
UAB
Jefferson
UF

Will not rank: Wake Forest, BU

Comments? How big of a difference is there between UNC/UVa and Wash U/UTSW? Will I be making a significant sacrifice in fellowship options, esp in terms of location? Also, is the consensus here that UNC, UVa, Emory, OHSU and MSSM all offer similar training and career opportunities and one will not go wrong picking based on location, gut feeling and resident happiness?

I only interviewed at 4 of those program but your 1 and 2 are the same as mine were (only in reverse order). I too struggled with the "prestige vs happiness" issue and went for happiness and don't in any way regret it. I had my pick of fellowship interviews (Dana Farber is the only place I applied that didn't offer me an interview) so I wouldn't worry about that.

With the exception of WU and UTSW which are the two programs with the best nationwide rep on your list and UF and Jeff (lowest although not bad in any way), the rest are essentially equivalent all things considered. Assuming you're not going to kill yourself if you don't get a Cards spot at Duke or Columbia, you'll be fine anywhere on that list. Rank them how you liked them.

Hi folks,

I asked once before about Pulm/CC for my list... could I ask for a bit of help as I'm also considering Heme/Onc? I'm reasonably sure that I'm ranking UCSF first, but I wanted some input for the rest of my list. Thanks!

UCSF
Stanford
Michigan
MSSM
Columbia
UChicago
Northwestern
UWashington
UCLA
BIDMC

Hi folks,

I asked once before about Pulm/CC for my list... could I ask for a bit of help as I'm also considering Heme/Onc? I'm reasonably sure that I'm ranking UCSF first, but I wanted some input for the rest of my list. Thanks!

UCSF
Stanford
Michigan
MSSM
Columbia
UChicago
Northwestern
UWashington
UCLA
BIDMC

I believe the answer you're looking for is here.

I'm interested in GI. I would appreciate some opinions on how to rank the following programs:

Pitt
UNC
Wisconsin
Baylor
Utah
Jefferson
UIC
Dartmouth
Brown
Cal-Pacific
Cedars-Sinai

interested in general internal medicine/ academic primary care...Any thoughts on the following list?

UW
OHSU
NYU
Montefiore pc/sm
Cornell
MSSM
UCSD
UC Davis

Well I think a question you might want to ask is would you rather sit out a year if you don't match into your top 4? What kind of feed back have you gotten at GWU, WHC, Maryland, Georgetown?

That is why I asked, if I should be safe ranking the 4 or are my chances of not matching reasonably high with that strategy?

Who can tell anything about feedback? Even if a program promised I'd match there, I wouldn't bank on it until March 17. They seem positive yet typically noncommittal.

That is why I asked, if I should be safe ranking the 4 or are my chances of not matching reasonably high with that strategy?

Who can tell anything about feedback? Even if a program promised I'd match there, I wouldn't bank on it until March 17. They seem positive yet typically noncommittal.

Unless you HATE a program, you should rank it. I see no upside to leaving great programs off your rank list simply because IF you match there you won't be doing 10 h&ps in Spanish a day. I don't want to start throwing around words like "stupid", "idiotic", and "******ed" but I'm close.

I would rank all your programs, unless you would rather like working at Starbucks than go to UVA. :D

---current thoughts:
GWU
WHC
Maryland
Georgetown
UVA
VCU
---probably won't rank:
Hopkins-Sinai
Howard

Thanks!

Simply answering the question: The Spanish speaking population in Richmond is tiny (mostly non-immigrant caucasion and non-immigrant black americans). It's small in Baltimore as well. Charlottesville...small. DC has by far the largest Spanish speaking population.

---current thoughts:
GWU
WHC
Maryland
Georgetown
UVA
VCU
---probably won't rank:
Hopkins-Sinai
Howard

Thanks!

You must reaaaaaaaally want to be in DC to rank GWU, or WHC over UMD, UVA and VCU. Georgetown v. UMD and VCU is a fair fight. But I digress...

Gtown and GW both spend time at Fairfax and Virginia Hosp Center, so you'll get your Hispanic populations there. I fear none of the three have a terribly large hispanic population at the mother ships (GU, GWU, WHC), although I may be incorrect re: WHC.

Irrespective, you'll probably match at either of your top 2, if that's your rank list. If you weren't so DC heavy, I'd put UVA v. UMD at one/two.

Simply answering the question: The Spanish speaking population in Richmond is tiny (mostly non-immigrant caucasion and non-immigrant black americans). It's small in Baltimore as well. Charlottesville...small. DC has by far the largest Spanish speaking population.

VCU tends to still get a decent mix of spanish (and mextica) speaking patients but I'd agree that it's not the ideal site for such practice. To be honest, all of these programs are somewhat weak in that arena. UMD being the most urban, inner city program you have, however (outside of VCU), would prob be the safest pick. DC's Hispanic populations by and large aren't at GW/Gtown but they will be at VHC/Fairfax/etc.

Interested in GI
-NYHQ/Cornell
-UPMC Mercy
-UNSOM Las Vegas
-University of Puerto Rico (home) has GI, Cards, Hem-Onc, and most IM subspecialities.

UPMC Mercy>NYHQ>PR>Las Vegas

any insight, please? thank you :)

Reeeeally debating some on my list:
Career goals: clinical education - cards (EP) or rheum vs. GI or hospitalist (almost in that order, with the "or" indicating interchangeability)

Jefferson- great fellowship placement, especially cards and GI. Really great teaching it seems. Feel like it's really easy to get lost in the shuffle with no board review, sheer # of residents, and kind of on your own to find research (obviously for more motivated people).

Temple - again, great fellowship placement. Seems to have a heavier emphasis on educational conferences (really enjoyed their chief rounds). Research day in the beginning of the year highlights some opportunities interns can join (seems to reduce some anxiety to approach mentors and get started).

RWJ - good fellowship placement if you work for it. Research is heavily emphasized and seems reasonably attainable. Real heavy emphasis on education with great morning report and board review (can seem mundane, but it really does make you think). Treats residents well (which can interpreted as cushy, but it seems to be a complete experience).

any insight, please? thank you :)

All three programs will give you excellent training and have a solid rep. Temple is known for GI and H/O...Jefferson's cards and GI divisions are similarly respected. RWJ, in my opinion, is a step behind those two but many on SDN seem impressed by the place.

I liked Temple's educational philosophy - seemed like they were really ahead of the curve (educational methodology, advising, conferences, etc.) and responsive to resident input. Jefferson seemed more like a "traditional" medicine program.

Jeff v. Temple is a good debate - go with your gut between them. I'd say RWJ #3.

Disagree 100%

I would put RWJ, then Jeff then Temple.

Temple and Jeff could be switched depending on your gut feeling, but I would argue that RWJ is above both of these.

All three programs will give you excellent training and have a solid rep. Temple is known for GI and H/O...Jefferson's cards and GI divisions are similarly respected. RWJ, in my opinion, is a step behind those two but many on SDN seem impressed by the place.

I liked Temple's educational philosophy - seemed like they were really ahead of the curve (educational methodology, advising, conferences, etc.) and responsive to resident input. Jefferson seemed more like a "traditional" medicine program.

Jeff v. Temple is a good debate - go with your gut between them. I'd say RWJ #3.

Disagree 100%

I would put RWJ, then Jeff then Temple.

Temple and Jeff could be switched depending on your gut feeling, but I would argue that RWJ is above both of these.

Why? I know almost nothing about it. So I'm asking a serious question because it would help me help other people.

I appreciate your comments. I should have mentioned that I have some complicated family situations that are making being in DC much more of a priority at this time. In another setting, UVA and VCU would be in my top 3 or 4.

I have had trouble getting a good read on Georgetown. The interview day left an unsettling feeling because residents were not accessible to us applicants. At lunch, they gave the impression they weren't satisfied with how the program works, particularly having private and teaching attendings, despite saying all the right things like "I'd come here again, I'm happy I'm here" etc. Was this just a bad day or is there more going on there?

Why? I know almost nothing about it. So I'm asking a serious question because it would help me help other people.

RWJ has a very balanced residency program, putting enough emphasis on clinical training, teaching, and research. Here are some of the main points:

Clinical training is great. You have a good mix of patient populations, from the wealthy to the indigent. Ancillary staff is tremendous. If you don't want to, you will never have to do an EKG or draw blood cultures on the floors. Social work/case management is also great, minimizing those "scut work" tasks. General medicine teams see a wide variety of patients (as opposed to say, jefferson, who has you rotate on GI service, the cardiology... etc). At RWJ, there is more of an emphasis on handling the whole patient and making sure each of their organs systems are covered. The motto is that any good internist should be able to handle all of these problems at once, even if severe, and that consulting should really be a last resort.

Also, not unique to RWJ, but important, there are no private patients on floor services.

Faculty are very supportive. They are there to help you learn. Attendings are very involved in teaching and go out of their way to get everyone involved from the 3rd year medical student to the senior resident. Their approach to conferences is great because they are really focused on the intern and resident (as they are mandatory for both). Its not so much about hearing the input of a specialist (although they do attend), but rather its devised in a way to facilitate the thinking and decision making process for house staff. Board review series every morning for residents not on service is also helpful. The PD is there to make sure you do not fail.

The program is also pretty small (I believe around 20 or so interns). Everyone knows each other very well, and interns/residents are given a lot of individualized attention. Teams are 1 intern, 1 resident, 1 attending. When the time comes to make a call for you, the PD and attendings certainly know you well.

Research is obviously more than available, as is true at many other programs. But residents at rwj have the time to really take advantage of it (call on the floors is q5- not bad! and interns get 1.5-2 months of elective!)

Fellowship match is good. Residents go places that they want to, and are certainly not limited to the NJ area. The program is also very supportive of "alternative plans" i.e. last year they made all sorts of calls for a resident who wanted to go into media. Fellowship match within RWJ is good, except for maybe GI. They have taken a few, but I would say its probably the hardest to match within the program. Heme/onc, endocrine, and cards, on the other hand, are very good at taking rwj residents.

But this is just my take on the place. I would rank it > jeff & temple.

Thank you :)

RWJ has a very balanced residency program, putting enough emphasis on clinical training, teaching, and research. Here are some of the main points:

Clinical training is great. You have a good mix of patient populations, from the wealthy to the indigent. Ancillary staff is tremendous. If you don't want to, you will never have to do an EKG or draw blood cultures on the floors. Social work/case management is also great, minimizing those "scut work" tasks. General medicine teams see a wide variety of patients (as opposed to say, jefferson, who has you rotate on GI service, the cardiology... etc). At RWJ, there is more of an emphasis on handling the whole patient and making sure each of their organs systems are covered. The motto is that any good internist should be able to handle all of these problems at once, even if severe, and that consulting should really be a last resort.

Also, not unique to RWJ, but important, there are no private patients on floor services.

Faculty are very supportive. They are there to help you learn. Attendings are very involved in teaching and go out of their way to get everyone involved from the 3rd year medical student to the senior resident. Their approach to conferences is great because they are really focused on the intern and resident (as they are mandatory for both). Its not so much about hearing the input of a specialist (although they do attend), but rather its devised in a way to facilitate the thinking and decision making process for house staff. Board review series every morning for residents not on service is also helpful. The PD is there to make sure you do not fail.

The program is also pretty small (I believe around 20 or so interns). Everyone knows each other very well, and interns/residents are given a lot of individualized attention. Teams are 1 intern, 1 resident, 1 attending. When the time comes to make a call for you, the PD and attendings certainly know you well.

Research is obviously more than available, as is true at many other programs. But residents at rwj have the time to really take advantage of it (call on the floors is q5- not bad! and interns get 1.5-2 months of elective!)

Fellowship match is good. Residents go places that they want to, and are certainly not limited to the NJ area. The program is also very supportive of "alternative plans" i.e. last year they made all sorts of calls for a resident who wanted to go into media. Fellowship match within RWJ is good, except for maybe GI. They have taken a few, but I would say its probably the hardest to match within the program. Heme/onc, endocrine, and cards, on the other hand, are very good at taking rwj residents.

Really interesting take on RWJ. That's basically what I gathered from the season. I have heard from some people that this complete balance may be viewed as "cushy". At the same token, it seems that the residents are treated well.

I think I'm really struggling with "can this program help me get through reasonably well with passing boards and fellowship placement as long as I come to work every day and try to read every night?"

And from this, I conclude that Jefferson ~ Temple in terms of "learn by doing with general and subspecialties on floors" with Temple having slightly stronger educational goals and emphasis vs. RWJ with general medicine (with variety) on floors and STRONG emphasis on lectures.

I have a feeling I may just end up picking whoever had the best cafeteria or best parking and living areas. Just kidding! Thanks for your help, guys :)