Official: UTSW Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G_Eagle said:
I just got back today from working at camp. Boy am I tan (and tired)! Now I am ready to get settled in and get to know you guys who are already in town. PM me. Maybe we can get together...

Cool! Let's organize some sort of gathering. Who all wants to come? When can you come? Where do you want to meet?

I'm free pretty much any time after next Tuesday until school starts. My suggestion is Friday night, the 16th of July, about a month before school starts. And I'm not familiar enough with Dallas to suggest a place, so I'll leave it up to the Natives.

Members don't see this ad.

I went by Southwestern this afternoon to get my ID badge. This is a cool but strange feeling to have it. The student building's badge machine is down for a few days, but the parking office (visitor's information center) can make it for you. With it, you have full access to the student center's facilities.

We could go to Shakespeare in the Park. never been and always wanted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know when we'll be able to access the library online, and what do we need in order to do so?

You need a few things. One, you need your student information security forms submitted. Second, for outside access you need to set up the VPN connection. I am sure they will explain how to do all that later. Right now, I don't think we have usernames or passwords.

The incoming MS2's are planning a bowling night on Thursday...I got an email about it from another MS1. If and when i find more information, I will pass it on. Could be a good way of networking and finding the answers to many of our questions.

sup guys. BUMP. what a dead thread. :)

1) is sprint service tolerable in dallas? it's not all that great in austin...
2) when/how do we get email accounts?
3) anyone know when white coat is?

1) Don't know about sprint, but I'm happy with my cingular service.
2) I have a feeling they won't give us our e-mail accounts until later this month, but I'm not sure.
3) White coat ceremony is in October...I believe near the end of the month...

I don't go to UT-SW (although I hope to next year) but I do live in the Dallas area and Sprint service is pretty decent in this area. You still get dropped calls every so often but for the most part service is good.

Hey, do any of you want to go to EdgeFest in August (I think it's the 7th)? I really want to go, but don't know anybody to go with. It'd be a good chance to meet each other and stuff. Tickets are on sale now! :D

Hey guys, I'm not going to UTSW but I do live in Dallas and use Sprint--it sucks just as much here as it does everywhere else. I never have more than 2 bars in my house. Go with verizon if quality matters to you!

i just got the nokia 6225 that sprint offers. the reception is amazing but the battery life is so so. as long as you charge every night though, its no problem at all.

i just finished my thesis. freaking. i'm so happy. i'm done with college. :)

just wanted to say HI to all, Summer's been great but I am ready and excited to start Med School!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have T-Mobile and so far so good. My phone works well in almost all parts of the med school and Parkland except for distinct spots.

The only bad part is that when I do lose a signal it takes forever to regain it.

Do we get our financial aide the first day we begin class if we have direct deposit?

Giving My .02 said:
Do we get our financial aide the first day we begin class if we have direct deposit?

i think you get it a few days before. incidentally... does anyone know the schedule of our first few days? i'm away from my packet of information so i can't look it up -- i just know i'm moving in on the 9th.

weeeeeeeee excited.

http://medschool.swmed.edu/
This has the schedule. I already transferred it all to my handheld (yeah, I'm a dork).

Well, I'm cleaning out all my stuff and weeding out what I don't need anymore. It's a long task, but it'll feel good when it's completed. See you later college!!!!! (as I put more and more things in the Goodwill pile)

G_Eagle said:
This has the schedule. I already transferred it all to my handheld (yeah, I'm a dork).

Well, I'm cleaning out all my stuff and weeding out what I don't need anymore. It's a long task, but it'll feel good when it's completed. See you later college!!!!! (as I put more and more things in the Goodwill pile)

is there a good way to link a calendar over to a palm or any other type of calendar device or did you just do it by hand? don't tell me you did all the classes/times/subjects... haha thats craaaaaazyy i say.

also... when do we get email accounts? :)

sunkists said:
i think you get it a few days before. incidentally... does anyone know the schedule of our first few days? i'm away from my packet of information so i can't look it up -- i just know i'm moving in on the 9th.

weeeeeeeee excited.

Sunksists, I know you don't have your information, but G Eagle, or anyone else, do ya'll know? Most of my money is going to rent when I move in during August, so I kind of want to know, how long I will be paying stuff with my credit card!!!!

Giving My .02 said:
Sunksists, I know you don't have your information, but G Eagle, or anyone else, do ya'll know? Most of my money is going to rent when I move in during August, so I kind of want to know, how long I will be paying stuff with my credit card!!!!

thanks g eagle.. that's some crazy classing we have to do. also -- i saw that we watch the "dax video" sometime in the semester. i met this guy while i was researching my thesis -- he's this guy who got caught in a gas explosion and was burned so badly he kept saying he wanted to die in the hospital and the doctors didn't know what to do with him so they saved him through 9 months or so of painful burn treatment/therapy. some of the video is really really graphic. anyway, he's older now and travels around speaking at med schools... he's blind and can walk with a cane but he still says if he could do it all over again, he would still choose to die but now that he's alive he has to respect the fact that he's still living and go on. incidentally, he got a law degree after his accident using brail texts and such... quite a guy.

Giving My .02 said:

I received a reply from Tracy Sutton one of the financial aid peeps and she wrote:

Your registration packet will go out in the mail around August 1st and you will need to complete the forms they send you and return them back to the accounting office and the registrar's office. On August 13th your funds should be deposited into your account after tuition has been taken out. please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Class starts the 17th i think.

Yeah, I put it in by hand (sheepish grin)... It's all there now so you'll know who to ask about what's coming up next. What's critical thinking?

As for e-mail accounts, I am not sure. My brother is going into his 4th year at southwestern, and he said that my account is already active. I'm sure yours would be as well, but we don't have user names or passwords yet... Hmm...

G_Eagle said:
Yeah, I put it in by hand (sheepish grin)... It's all there now so you'll know who to ask about what's coming up next. What's critical thinking?

As for e-mail accounts, I am not sure. My brother is going into his 4th year at southwestern, and he said that my account is already active. I'm sure yours would be as well, but we don't have user names or passwords yet... Hmm...

does your brother have anything enlightening to say about his experience at the school?

can anyone tell me when the date of the white coat ceremony ....i can't find it on any of the calendars. thank!

what is the last thing y'all got from them. I remember mine was the computer forms where they were asking for info to establish a VPN account or something like that. Has anybody received anything else recently?
Also, what are y'all doing about health insurance?

I haven't gotten anything else that I can remember. I am changing over my health insurance to Southwestern's. The one I currently use is much more expensive.

My brother has really liked Southwestern. It is nice having him ahead of me to advise me of obstacles, and he will understand what I am going through.

yeah... health insurance... how do we go about changing this? is it a decent policy?

Thanks for the info! I am getting really excited about August!!! Moving to the metroplex the first week of August, which is not too far from now!!!!!

I called about White Coat a couple of weeks ago. After getting transferred around some, they told me it was the weekend of Halloween. I can't remember if they said it was Saturday or Sunday, though. Of course, they said they weren't 100% sure, but that's what I'm banking on.

I received the orientation packet today. I'm getting even more excited. Are you all going to the water park? I'm assuming we should wear swimsuits...

I looked over the packet again. We will need swimsuits and towels. One discrepancy, though, is what time should we arrive on Saturday? The letter says 9am, but the schedule says we start at 11:30am. Also, the checklist of things to do says to arrive at 11:30am. I guess I'm arriving at 9.

G_Eagle said:
I looked over the packet again. We will need swimsuits and towels. One discrepancy, though, is what time should we arrive on Saturday? The letter says 9am, but the schedule says we start at 11:30am. Also, the checklist of things to do says to arrive at 11:30am. I guess I'm arriving at 9.

I haven't gotten the packet yet (you'd think the fact that I live RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the school would mean I would get stuff sooner, but oh well.) Which Saturday? Oooo this is starting to get exciting...even though nobody responds to my suggestions about getting together :p

Hi guys just a quick question...

I just applied with a 31O MCAT, 3.68 overall GPA, and 3.65 science GPA. Everything is a little below average for UTSW :(. I am also a Texas resident if this matters. What do you guys think my chances are? Thanks in advance :).

ifailedmcat said:
Hi guys just a quick question...

I just applied with a 31O MCAT, 3.68 overall GPA, and 3.65 science GPA. Everything is a little below average for UTSW :(. I am also a Texas resident if this matters. What do you guys think my chances are? Thanks in advance :).

I know of people from my school that Aced the MCAT and had great GPA's and got interviewed, and people who had average GPA's and average MCATs who got interviewed. If you get an interview from them, you have a great chance of getting in, but that also depends on your overall application. Good luck to you, and good luck in the interviews, I bet you get several.

P.S. Check the applicant profiles, and this should help out.

soonerpillow said:
I haven't gotten the packet yet (you'd think the fact that I live RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the school would mean I would get stuff sooner, but oh well.) Which Saturday? Oooo this is starting to get exciting...even though nobody responds to my suggestions about getting together :p

Sorry that I haven't responded, haven't moved up there yet. However, got the packet. It was quite funny.

i'd like to think that this thread is so dead because we're all so interesting and well-rounded and have many important things to do during our day... instead of all of us being too apathetic to post :) haha. jk.

BUMP.

Giving My .02 said:
Sorry that I haven't responded, haven't moved up there yet. However, got the packet. It was quite funny.
Wes Norred has a sense of humor, that's for sure.

I can't believe it's only 3 more weeks! Where did the time go??? I feel like I graduated yesterday!!!

ndi_amaka said:
I can't believe it's only 3 more weeks! Where did the time go??? I feel like I graduated yesterday!!!

Three weeks!?!?!......... :scared: :eek:

I was browsing the Allopathic forum the other day (am I allowed to do that since I haven't actually started med school yet? :confused: ), and there was a thread about going to class or not. Now, I've always gone to class in a sort of neurotic fashion (until my last semester, of course. 5th year senioritis got me bad!), but it sounds like you can really save a lot of time and sanity by not going to class. On the other hand, I'd have to have the discipline to study on my own, plus, I wouldn't get to hang out with you guys as much, forming lifelong friendships, etc. So, I haven't really decided upon my approach to attending class. I think I'm going to go for the first 2-4 weeks and see how it goes. What are your thoughts?

soonerpillow said:
Three weeks!?!?!......... :scared: :eek:

I was browsing the Allopathic forum the other day (am I allowed to do that since I haven't actually started med school yet? :confused: ), and there was a thread about going to class or not. Now, I've always gone to class in a sort of neurotic fashion (until my last semester, of course. 5th year senioritis got me bad!), but it sounds like you can really save a lot of time and sanity by not going to class. On the other hand, I'd have to have the discipline to study on my own, plus, I wouldn't get to hang out with you guys as much, forming lifelong friendships, etc. So, I haven't really decided upon my approach to attending class. I think I'm going to go for the first 2-4 weeks and see how it goes. What are your thoughts?
I just don't see how it's possible to go to class from 9-5 and still squeeze in time to memorize every detail, exercise, eat, and sleep without feeling really burnt out.

I think I will go to class for the first couple weeks but if they are just reading out of the lecture notes and the notetaking service is really good I don't foresee going to anything more than anatomy lecture and lab.

I already know I have the discipline to self study, I did that through much of college and for MCAT.

ndi_amaka said:
I just don't see how it's possible to go to class from 9-5 and still squeeze in time to memorize every detail, exercise, eat, and sleep without feeling really burnt out.

I think I will go to class for the first couple weeks but if they are just reading out of the lecture notes and the notetaking service is really good I don't foresee going to anything more than anatomy lecture and lab.

I already know I have the discipline to self study, I did that through much of college and for MCAT.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the MCAT, I guess I DO have the discipline, it just SUCKED studying that much. :laugh: I didn't study much for college, though, but I went to practically every class. I think I learn better that way...

So, you ARE planning on going to anatomy stuff. Isn't that half the day anyways? :p

I do better going to class, especially if I paid attention!!! I am going to go to class first and try that out first.

Does anyone know how anatomy goes? Is attendence required for all parts, or do you really just have to show up for the tests? Either way, I'll be there -- I was just wondering as it relates to scheduling trips and stuff. Ditto on the whole playing-it-by-ear approach to lecture attendence. I figure I'll go on campus each day but might not actually make it to class.

Yo, can anyone recommend decent furniture stores around in Dallas (esp. for desks and beds)?

I don't think I will be making it out to the waterpark.

I also don't know about anatomy lab. it stinks that we have it on Friday afternoons.....but it's just for one semester so I can deal.

Do you guys want to get together before Aug. 14??

Cybersushi said:
Yo, can anyone recommend decent furniture stores around in Dallas (esp. for desks and beds)?

Eurway has nice stylish furniture at fairly low costs. There are other avenues (e.g. Garage Sale) though they require a little more time/effort. Another avenue to consider is a company called Aaron Rents. Before I got a house here in Dallas, I was renting furniture from them while living in an apartment. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having moving stuff, and being stuck with some worn out furniture.

There are other furniture stores - Haverty's, RoomStore, etc though, personally I wouldn't spend money there since the CBA doesn't pan out.

Let me know if y'all have anyother questions on Dallas. I live about 15-20 minutes from UT Southwestern and work about 5 minutes from there.

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker

(edited to fix typo from I've to I)

"There are other furniture stores - Haverty's, RoomStore, etc though, personally I wouldn't spend money there since the CBA doesn't pan out"

What's a CBA? BTW, Any other Californians goin to UTSW here? :D