Ohio State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the seat/interview invite ratio?
here is the class profile from 2022 for interview/ seat ratio. I don’t think they have one yet for 2023, I can ask my vet director that went to tOSU if she might have it!
0752E22C-B5C2-4FB6-9158-BE5BCC197ABB.jpeg
 
Last year they invited around 508 to interview, and my class has 174.
here is the class profile from 2022 for interview/ seat ratio. I don’t think they have one yet for 2023, I can ask my vet director that went to tOSU if she might have it! View attachment 325675

this is helpful. i'm quietly wondering if ohio got hit by the fauci/covid effect application surge this year like a bunch of the other schools. i'm hoping they'll release stats at the end of interview season, i'm mostly curious. and also wondering what's going to happen if the effect never recedes.
 
this is helpful. i'm quietly wondering if ohio got hit by the fauci/covid effect application surge this year like a bunch of the other schools. i'm hoping they'll release stats at the end of interview season, i'm mostly curious. and also wondering what's going to happen if the effect never recedes.

Considering the length of time and amount of effort it takes to apply to vet school I have a hard time believing that everyone decided to apply simply because of the pandemic
 
Considering the length of time and amount of effort it takes to apply to vet school I have a hard time believing that everyone decided to apply simply because of the pandemic
i get that - i've been working for years as a non-trad. personally though, i suppose it wouldn't surprise me as much if some people (not all) were pressed/encouraged to apply. if people are part of biology/ecology/env sci programs that require the pre-reqs as part of the major, and work with animals throughout their time at school, it feels like less of a reach. at least to me. plus if avma and other allied health organizations are speculating on this, i imagine they're going off of something.
 
i get that - i've been working for years as a non-trad. personally though, i suppose it wouldn't surprise me as much if some people (not all) were pressed/encouraged to apply. if people are part of biology/ecology/env sci programs that require the pre-reqs as part of the major, and work with animals throughout their time at school, it feels like less of a reach. at least to me. plus if avma and other allied health organizations are speculating on this, i imagine they're going off of something.

I mean it’s fair speculation, I’m just not necessarily buying it haha
 
Congrats! Just curious, how did Ohio State’s review compare to other schools reviews? I had file reviews from other schools last year but Ohio state never got back to me about it 🥴
So out of the 4 schools I applied to last year, I only received 2 legit file reviews. UGA just sent me a list of stats for the accepted applicants, and Midwestern sent me a brief email which was not very helpful because it barely said where my application needed improvement. 🙄 I was able to have a zoom call with the Director of Admissions for my file review with Purdue, which was very helpful and she answered all my questions and gave me tips to improve my application this year.

For OSU's file review, they sent me a document that compared my overall, science and last 30 GPAs to the average for all applicants and the average for accepted applicants last year. The rest of the file had descriptions of what they typically look for in the different areas (GPA - overall, science, last 30, vet hours, volunteering, leadership, etc.) and they pretty much checked off what area my application needed to improve in, and wrote in a description box at the bottom what else my application specifically lacked. I felt that it was helpful because it showed me what OSU was looking for and how they were evaluating applicants 🤓
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So out of the 4 schools I applied to last year, I only received 2 legit file reviews. UGA just sent me a list of stats for the accepted applicants, and Midwestern sent me a brief email which was not very helpful because it barely said where my application needed improvement. 🙄 I was able to have a zoom call with the Director of Admissions for my file review with Purdue, which was very helpful and she answered all my questions and gave me tips to improve my application this year.

For OSU's file review, they sent me a document that compared my overall, science and last 30 GPAs to the average for all applicants and the average for accepted applicants last year. The rest of the file had descriptions of what they typically look for in the different areas (GPA - overall, science, last 30, vet hours, volunteering, leadership, etc.) and they pretty much checked off what area my application needed to improve in, and wrote in a description box at the bottom what else my application specifically lacked. I felt that it was helpful because it showed me what OSU was looking for and how they were evaluating applicants 🤓
I received an interview offer but now I got a bit discouraged since my gpa is pretty low........ (science and last 30 especially) 😹 even if i do well on the interview, since my gpa is pretty low it'd be pretty likely that I get waitlisted/rehected
 
I received an interview offer but now I got a bit discouraged since my gpa is pretty low........ (science and last 30 especially) 😹 even if i do well on the interview, since my gpa is pretty low it'd be pretty likely that I get waitlisted/rehected
I’m honestly in the same boat as you! 😅
My GPA isn’t on the higher end either, but I do feel like they look at applicants more holistically. I didn’t think that I would get an interview offer from OSU at all since they rejected me last year for many reasons according to my file review, but I definitely do feel confident in other parts of my application this year! LOL
At this point, we can only work hard to do well on the interview and hope to get an offer from OSU! 🤓
 
I received an interview offer but now I got a bit discouraged since my gpa is pretty low........ (science and last 30 especially) 😹 even if i do well on the interview, since my gpa is pretty low it'd be pretty likely that I get waitlisted/rehected

If you got an interview, you definitely have a chance of being accepted. Don’t focus on your weak areas. Focus on your strengths and show them why you are the best applicant they could ever decide to choose.
 
Does anyone know if they send out interview packets? The other school I’m interviewing at sent out a packet in the mail shortly after the email invite. Just wondering!
 
Hi! Does anyone know if the interviewers will have seen our applications before our interview? Like if it's closed or open file? I'm nervous since I don't really know what to expect them to ask. Thanks^_^
 
Hi! Does anyone know if the interviewers will have seen our applications before our interview? Like if it's closed or open file? I'm nervous since I don't really know what to expect them to ask. Thanks^_^
So I was told last year they were open interviews, but mine ended up being closed! Another student involved in the interview process said on FB that it all depends on the interviewer - they can chose to read your file or not.
 
So I am a very scatter brained person when talking, especially about myself. Would it be frowned upon to have a sheet on my lap with my thoughts organized? 1st time applicant IS only school I applied to.
 
So I am a very scatter brained person when talking, especially about myself. Would it be frowned upon to have a sheet on my lap with my thoughts organized? 1st time applicant IS only school I applied to.

These are zoom interviews right?

I would say a paper with thoughts would be hard because you don’t really know what their going to ask. Also I think constantly looking down at your lap wouldn’t be ideal.

Just my thoughts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they tell you in the beginning if it was open or closed, or did you find that out later?
I didn’t find out it was closed until after. They took notes as I talked about my experiences which I didn’t find odd at the moment. Then I was disappointed I didn’t know ahead of time! I would have given more detail, but I was under the impression they had read my file so they at least somewhat knew what I was referring to.
 
Hey all! Is anyone attending the Jan 20th virtual welcome session?
To people that have done these in the past - is this your only chance to ask questions, or are you invited to ask questions during the interview as well?
I am! 👋 super excited! No idea about if this is our only chance to ask questions... I can't imagine they wouldn't let you ask questions during your interview though?
 
Hey all! Is anyone attending the Jan 20th virtual welcome session?
To people that have done these in the past - is this your only chance to ask questions, or are you invited to ask questions during the interview as well?
Hi! You will have time to ask a few questions during your interview! As long as your interview doesn’t run too long🙂
 
Hi! You will have time to ask a few questions during your interview! As long as your interview doesn’t run too long🙂
good to know! thanks 🙂 do you think questions about campus and the curriculum are better suited for the welcome session or for the interview?
 
I am! 👋 super excited! No idea about if this is our only chance to ask questions... I can't imagine they wouldn't let you ask questions during your interview though?

I’ll be at the welcome session on the 20th!

awesome 🙂 I'm excited too!
after you guys filled out the survey, did you get a second confirmation e-mail regarding the welcome session? I don't think I've gotten one yet.
 
awesome 🙂 I'm excited too!
after you guys filled out the survey, did you get a second confirmation e-mail regarding the welcome session? I don't think I've gotten one yet.
Not yet! I'm thinking they'll send out the confirmation email and link after the deadline to sign up?
 
Not yet! I'm thinking they'll send out the confirmation email and link after the deadline to sign up?
I hope so! It's been such a hectic winter I'm concerned that I somehow clicked through the survey and never submitted it. I'm like 99% sure I did but that anxiety is starting to creep in.
 
I hope so! It's been such a hectic winter I'm concerned that I somehow clicked through the survey and never submitted it. I'm like 99% sure I did but that anxiety is starting to creep in.
I feel that... I just realized that my interview is on 1/23... when I signed up I thought that it was a Thursday.... no.... no... it's a Saturday and I work 9am-10pm. Luckily my coworkers are flexible and will let me disappear for a half an hour to go do my interview 🤦‍♀️
 
I feel that... I just realized that my interview is on 1/23... when I signed up I thought that it was a Thursday.... no.... no... it's a Saturday and I work 9am-10pm. Luckily my coworkers are flexible and will let me disappear for a half an hour to go do my interview 🤦‍♀️
Oh no! Best of luck to you; I'm on the 23rd as well and initially thought it was on a Thursday for some reason too. It works well enough for me luckily.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good to know! thanks 🙂 do you think questions about campus and the curriculum are better suited for the welcome session or for the interview?
I think you could ask at either! I would save your “shorter” questions for the interview! I think I asked about campus during my interview and more curriculum type stuff during the welcome session! Just because my curriculum questions were longer and I had more time to talk during the welcome session!
 
Oh no! Best of luck to you; I'm on the 23rd as well and initially thought it was on a Thursday for some reason too. It works well enough for me luckily.
Oh my goodness! I read this and laughed out loud. I thought the 23rd was a Friday when I signed up for my interview. How funny! Good luck to you both! I haven’t heard back about the welcome session either, so no worries there.
 
Oh no! Best of luck to you; I'm on the 23rd as well and initially thought it was on a Thursday for some reason too. It works well enough for me luckily.
Oh my goodness! I read this and laughed out loud. I thought the 23rd was a Friday when I signed up for my interview. How funny! Good luck to you both! I haven’t heard back about the welcome session either, so no worries there.
I'm glad it wasn't just me 😂 Clients ask me all the time what date it is when I'm grabbing their pet from the car and my response is usually "Ma'am/Sir... you're lucky I know what day it is."

We're all on COVID time now!