Only Mildly Official Countdown to March Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
soooooooooo.... it dawned on me today that March is going to be a pretty ****ty (possibly great?) month for a good many of us on here, what with all the non-rollings and such... and well, just thinking about that makes me a little b!tchy, and angsty, and hungry. [yes, hungry... i eat my emotions... hey.. don't you judge me!!!]

So, what's a girl to do when there is no readily available cake in sight? Start a mildly official countdown thread, of course!

42 more days to go!

Members don't see this ad.

soooooooooo.... it dawned on me today that March is going to be a pretty ****ty (possibly great?) month for a good many of us on here, what with all the non-rollings and such... and well, just thinking about that makes me a little b!tchy, and angsty, and hungry. [yes, hungry... i eat my emotions... hey.. don't you judge me!!!]

So, what's a girl to do when there is no readily available cake in sight? Start a mildly official countdown thread, of course!

42 more days to go!

Yes! A most excellent idea for a thread :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: is it really only 42 days? :eek:

Hopefully people can keep in mind that some of you will be celebrating and others will not.

Remember it when you go to class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! A most excellent idea for a thread :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: is it really only 42 days? :eek:

Ohmigod, having massive when-the-heck-are-they-releasing-mcat-scores flashbacks. :) Although I think my friends and family are even more eager/dreading the Month of March than I am...:luck: :luck: :luck:

wow 42 days. you just blew my mind.

i can't belive it's only 42 days....

When do we start the Countdown to May 15th thread? :idea: Now that will be another intense one. :smuggrin:

better yet, when on may 15 will all the freak out threads start when tons of students continue to hold multiple acceptances and none of the schools do anything about it like always happens?

or the fact that when may 15 comes around, none of the schools even bother to deal with their waitlists until the beginning of june...

i propose a countdown to the countdowns...

better yet, when on may 15 will all the freak out threads start when tons of students continue to hold multiple acceptances and none of the schools do anything about it like always happens?

Or the countdown to the "May 14th, Boycott SDN to Preserve Your Sanity Day", when there will be 15 trillion threads of "Harvard vs. Penn vs. Hopkins vs. UCSF--My life sucks, I can't decide!!!"....

or the fact that when may 15 comes around, none of the schools even bother to deal with their waitlists until the beginning of june...

i propose a countdown to the countdowns...

Good point. You take that one, and I will plan on creating the "Official Waitlist Movement" thread ;)

Ohmigod, having massive when-the-heck-are-they-releasing-mcat-scores flashbacks. :) Although I think my friends and family are even more eager/dreading the Month of March than I am...:luck: :luck: :luck:

Word. I have told all family/friends/small animals to stay away from me, because it's not going to be a pretty month probably.

D'oh, I hate being in limbo. I just want my rejections now so I can get it all over with. :rolleyes: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have forgotten, when is the deadline for schools to tell us our official status? Was it March 15th??

I have forgotten, when is the deadline for schools to tell us our official status? Was it March 15th??

No. I think the only deadline is May 15th, which is for the accepted applicants to withdraw from all but one acceptance. Do the schools even have a deadline to let us know our status? :confused:

No. I think the only deadline is May 15th, which is for the accepted applicants to withdraw from all but one acceptance. Do the schools even have a deadline to let us know our status? :confused:
i think that might be april 15. not sure on that one though. :idea:

41 days till March

Pardon my ignorance, but what's special about March?

the non-rolling schools (harvard, columbia, yale, among others) make decisions around the beginning of march. hence the anticipation...

I am also counting down to March - b/c I :love: Guinness and cute Irish boys.. Dont get so down about rejection season. Keep in mind that March also includes St. Paddy's Day, so you have the option of drowning your med school woes in beer and whiskey. You'll know you didn't drink enough if you remember how you got home. :D

I am also counting down to March - b/c I :love: Guinness and cute Irish boys.. Dont get so down about rejection season. Keep in mind that March also includes St. Paddy's Day, so you have the option of drowning your med school woes in beer and whiskey. You'll know you didn't drink enough if you remember how you got home. :D

A most excellent point! :thumbup: :thumbup:

wait i thought most of the nonrolling schools released decisions MID-MARCH? so really, it's more like 60 days, right?

*sigh* only because i love you guys.. I searched the forums. this is last year's february invites thread.. they might be scraping the bottom of their applicant pools, but hey, an invite is an invite!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=256584

Keep your chins up! It aint over till its over. :)

wait i thought most of the nonrolling schools released decisions MID-MARCH? so really, it's more like 60 days, right?

HMS makes final decisions in late February, and sends out notifications during the first week of March.

Hell yeah!

...Except for the whole cute Irish boys part!!! :p

March is exactly 3 weeks away..the tension is rising

I think I liked it better when it was six months away:scared:

a mere 21 days before utter disappointment comes knocking on my door? count me in! i can't wait...ugh

a mere 21 days before utter disappointment comes knocking on my door? count me in! i can't wait...ugh

Ugh... I know. I wonder if they're going to send stuff out on exactly on the first in which case we could have good news by Saturday, or if they're going to hold off until Friday the 2nd. ARRRRRGH... I don't want to have to wait until the 5th!!!

I seriously tried not to become too attached to any one school -- because I didn't want the disappointment -- but it was too difficult.:(

Ugh... I know. I wonder if they're going to send stuff out on exactly on the first in which case we could have good news by Saturday, or if they're going to hold off until Friday the 2nd. ARRRRRGH... I don't want to have to wait until the 5th!!!

I seriously tried not to become too attached to any one school -- because I didn't want the disappointment -- but it was too difficult.:(

Oh, I tried that....with little success. Right now I have only mentally prepared myself to go to one of two schools. Like planning future outings with friends located in those cities, imagining future living scenarios, etc. Needless to say this is a make-or-break month:oops:

Hello fellow count-downers!!!

I had so much fun (read: anxiety-outlet) in the Waiting-for-may-2006-mcat countdown I thought I'd join this one.

How is everyone filling their time?

Wow march is coming up.... Poop hotdogs are now in short supply!

Luckily I have an admission decision due tomorrow around noon, so I get to focus all of my nervous energy on that for now. After they break my heart tomorrow I will be freaking out until March though...

Wow, the weeks are really moving. Hard to believe that its been almost 7 1/2 months since we were first able to submit the AMCAS for this season. I never thought i'd make it this long. Compared to that, the rest of the season doesn't seem so long.

I have a feeling that unless you applied really, really, really late (meaning they haven't had a look-see over your application yet), if you haven't gotten an interview invite by now (the middle of February) then you aren't going to get one this season unless you are a stellar candidate.

Jiggawha?

No, I got that... I just didn't know what it had to do with the non-rolling countdown. I'm losing it. :laugh: I thought you were responding to one of the "Is there any hope left?" threads, but mistakenly posted your reply here.

Bleh... it's Monday, who cares?

Edit: Probably in reference to the February invites post.

At this stage, you are in one of the following "pools"...

1. Applied at the last minute (December): you might have a chance for an interview as they haven't looked at your application yet. Better hope you are a stellar candidate, because if not, forget it.
2. In the pre-interview hold pool: there is a slight chance you'll get an interview at this stage, but you better be at the top of the list and a stellar candidate cuz their ain't much time/slots left.
2. In the rejection pool: schools like to send out form letters to all of those rejected at one time, they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Or, they just might take your secondary fees and ignore you. Whichever imposes the most pain and agony on the applicant.
3. Interviewed and on waiting list: just sit tight, you'll get in somewhere or have a great chance next year.
4. Accepted: you can sit back and relax. Your future is set!

all well and good, but i think the anxiety surrounding this thread concerns interviewees waiting to hear back from the non-rolling schools who release all their initial decisions in march.

No, I got that... I just didn't know what it had to do with the non-rolling countdown. I'm losing it. :laugh: I thought you were responding to one of the "Is there any hope left?" threads, but mistakenly posted your reply here.

Bleh... it's Monday, who cares?

Edit: Probably in reference to the February invites post.

oops, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet. :laugh:

Ugh, this wait is absolute agony! I'm not the most patient person to begin with, but, wow. And while I know a rejection would be the worst news, I'm starting to feel a waitlist might just be a very close second...

I remember when I was going nuts waiting for my Hopkins decision back in October. I ended up waitlisted. I knew I screwed up the student interview but I still felt sorta confident. It sucked to see that waitlist letter.

There's absolutely no point of getting worked up. Chances are, if you've interviewed back in the winter of last year, that the decision on your file is already made.

I'm not sure when most schools rank applicants post-interview but they likely do so relatively soon after your interview.

There is no point hoping or wondering... the die is already cast. No point of anxiety. Just do your fafsa and watch "Trainspotting." If you are a senior in college, go get drunk with your friends. There's nothing like college... I miss it.

Ugh, this wait is absolute agony! I'm not the most patient person to begin with, but, wow. And while I know a rejection would be the worst news, I'm starting to feel a waitlist might just be a very close second...

I actually think that since I have an acceptance, a waitlist from a top choice would be worse than a rejection... If I get rejected, I'll be disappointed, but I can move on and start getting excited about where I'll actually be going. Waitlist just makes things a lot more complicated and stressful (with moving, spouse's job, etc)... But anyway, don't get me wrong, I know I'm very lucky and thrilled to be going somewhere... But the wait still sucks!

I actually think that since I have an acceptance, a waitlist from a top choice would be worse than a rejection... If I get rejected, I'll be disappointed, but I can move on and start getting excited about where I'll actually be going. Waitlist just makes things a lot more complicated and stressful (with moving, spouse's job, etc)... But anyway, don't get me wrong, I know I'm very lucky and thrilled to be going somewhere... But the wait still sucks!

Exactly. As someone else posted earlier, I've been trying so incredibly hard to form any sort of attachment to a couple of schools that don't announce in March...but yeah. I'm in the same fortunate position, I just want to *know* what my future is in March....not August. :)