Only Mildly Official Countdown to March Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tired, I liked your post. My recommendation would be for you to stop reading the emails, buy a wii, and hole yourself up until your classmates match. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Boo hoo... cry me a river. :p I've got to wait even longer for Penn... the MD/PhD committee makes their decisions on like Thursday but I've got to wait until March 19th because MD decisions take so long.

Nevermind, I'm two buildings over from Suite 100 Annex.... I can go all Spybreak in there one night and glimpse my fate before decisions are posted. MWAH HAHAHAHA

Edit: I'm not starting a new thread for this... we should all facebook one another. Some of us might be classmates. So it has been written... so shall it be done.

i see. you're waiting to hear from *two* top schools. oh you poor person. i mean, what if you got into columbia and not penn? that would be horrible.

and because i don't have a wii, my waiting for my one little school will be in "normal time" rather than "accelerated time." o the suffering.

oh and :p

So having been stalking stoli on Facebook, I've deduced the following:

1.) He's a cutie... no doubt about it.

2.) His life is big pimpin'. Pre-med rock star. :cool: :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think maybe I should have a party this week to help take my mind off of the upcoming decisions.

Then again, the last party I had to take my mind off of application stuff resulted in me wrestling with another girl in a kiddie pool. I found grass in the strangest places for days after that...

On second thought, maybe I'll just stick with the wii. :cool:

Guys! HOW THE HECK did this thread end up so far down? That's pathetic... I had to search for it, man!
How's the waiting going for everyone? I went snowboarding this weekend and hurt myself allll over. But now I'm back and the waiting is, once again, killing me.
I'm waiting for Penn, too, Severus... (and harvard, but I didn't like it that much so I don't really care). I wish freakin March would be over with already!

So having been stalking stoli on Facebook, I've deduced the following:

1.) He's a cutie... no doubt about it.

2.) His life is big pimpin'. Pre-med rock star. :cool: :horns:

haha. you're too nice.

sh;t the day is so near. come on frantz you know you want me! please please please please please please i will be super smiley to everyone for a week if you let me in

ok more than a week

*sigh*

The closer the day comes, the more I don't want to know. :( :rolleyes:

My feelings exactly.

I'm also worried that they will just be sending out acceptances on Fri., so the longer it takes to get to me, the more I'll be convinced it's bad news.

My feelings exactly.

I'm also worried that they will just be sending out acceptances on Fri., so the longer it takes to get to me, the more I'll be convinced it's bad news.

Well, from past years' threads I think that's exactly how it goes since they send out acceptances via priority mail. I figure if I don't have the big packet by Monday, it's a waitlist or rejection for me!! YIPPIE!

Well, from past years' threads I think that's exactly how it goes since they send out acceptances via priority mail. I figure if I don't have the big packet by Monday, it's a waitlist or rejection for me!! YIPPIE!

Damn... I was sort of hoping for an online status instant change at midnight... I guess I should know better by now...

I thought most schools called? if they dont, they should.

That's a lot easier to do for a rolling school.

eh, you have 200 people to call. split that with the top 4 people on the adcomm (dean, associate dean, director, etc). 50 calls each. Not that bad at all. Spread it out over 3 days or so.

I think it would support higher sticking power (number enrolled/number accepted).

Part of the reason I think students like schools like Vandy so much is that they do call, and call later for secondlook, and call later for just general questions, etc. its like they really do care on a personal level instead of just saying that they do. hah.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh, you have 200 people to call. split that with the top 4 people on the adcomm (dean, associate dean, director, etc). 50 calls each. Not that bad at all. Spread it out over 3 days or so.

I think it would support higher sticking power (number enrolled/number accepted).

Part of the reason I think students like schools like Vandy so much is that they do call, and call later for secondlook, and call later for just general questions, etc. its like they really do care on a personal level instead of just saying that they do. hah.

that's assuming that everyone picks up the first time they're called which is not true. I guess you could leave a message, but if half of over 200 people don't pick up then things could get a little sloppy. I agree that it's probably easier to call for a rolling school.

"penn, harvard, yale, cornell..."

man, you guys are all waiting for top 10/20 schools. i don't think i fit in with this crowd anymore. :p

that's assuming that everyone picks up the first time they're called which is not true. I guess you could leave a message, but if half of over 200 people don't pick up then things could get a little sloppy. I agree that it's probably easier to call for a rolling school.

its definitely easier to do so for a rolling school. but i think its worth the frustration to do so for non-rolling schools as well. in my book its so much more personal and professional.

solution: hire 9 people that sound like the dean.

its definitely easier to do so for a rolling school. but i think its worth the frustration to do so for non-rolling schools as well. in my book its so much more personal and professional.

solution: hire 9 people that sound like the dean.
:laugh: good one!

or a really interactive flash-based recording system.

well, looks like (hopefully just) one more week of devastating paralysis for me before february passes and the real sweating can begin. this process never ceases to amaze me. and when i say "amaze", i mean "torture".

well, looks like (hopefully just) one more week of devastating paralysis for me before february passes and the real sweating can begin. this process never ceases to amaze me. and when i say "amaze", i mean "torture".

Word.

I keep obsessing over how much weight letters of interest and intent hold at Columbia... should I send something more? What can I possibly update? Will they even read it, or do they decide on applicants throughout the season and just send decisions out in March? Has my fate already been decided? YARGH! ACK! *Sob*

Word.

I keep obsessing over how much weight letters of interest and intent hold at Columbia... should I send something more? What can I possibly update? Will they even read it, or do they decide on applicants throughout the season and just send decisions out in March? Has my fate already been decided? YARGH! ACK! *Sob*

i've read somewhere on sdn before that columbia really likes to hear that you're gung-ho about their school. not sure about timing though. but loi would be one factor for them to choose wisely for their 25%. i doubt your interest has fallen on deaf ears. :luck:

i've read somewhere on sdn before that columbia really likes to hear that you're gung-ho about their school. not sure about timing though. but loi would be one factor for them to choose wisely for their 25%. i doubt your interest has fallen on deaf ears. :luck:

Do you think promising to tattoo "P&S" on my butt cheeks was a little too much though? :confused:

Do you think promising to tattoo "P&S" on my butt cheeks was a little too much though? :confused:

take a pic and send it to frantz. like for serial.

write a song and send it over, but be careful... lyrics of "P&S" sound suspciously like "penis"

Word.

In December, I asked the Admissions Office if decisions were made on candidates immediately after they interviewed, or if they were made at one time at the end of the interview season. I was told that it was the latter and that there was definitely value in updating the school and reaffirming/re-expressing interest in P&S until that time. At this point? Might be cutting it close. Do I know that for sure? Of course not. How much can LOIs really alter an application with some flaws? No clue. But as someone who a) did not come from an Ivy, b) has some sketchy UG grades, c) doesn't play rugby or play concert piano, and d) is generally not a virtuoso in anything (seems like their students are really extracurricularly accomplished), I wonder if I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing. Bah! Well, if our fates aren't sealed yet, they will be in a matter of days. G'luck:luck:

In December, I asked the Admissions Office if decisions were made on candidates immediately after they interviewed, or if they were made at one time at the end of the interview season. I was told that it was the latter and that there was definitely value in updating the school and reaffirming/re-expressing interest in P&S until that time. At this point? Might be cutting it close. Do I know that for sure? Of course not. How much can LOIs really alter an application with some flaws? No clue. But as someone who a) did not come from an Ivy, b) has some sketchy UG grades, c) doesn't play rugby or play concert piano, and d) is generally not a virtuoso in anything (seems like their students are really extracurricularly accomplished), I wonder if I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing. Bah! Well, if our fates aren't sealed yet, they will be in a matter of days. G'luck:luck:

i wish i had a piece of the 'crag. how cool would that be as an amcas activity.

yea i was on the blue team and i beat 9 GUTS records on my way to the ultimate trophy. patients dying, psst.

violin and rugby suck compared to the agrocrag. do-do-do-do-do you have it?

i wish i had a piece of the 'crag. how cool would that be as an amcas activity.

yea i was on the blue team and i beat 9 GUTS records on my way to the ultimate trophy. patients dying, psst.

violin and rugby suck compared to the agrocrag. do-do-do-do-do you have it?

maybe i've been cowering in my bedroom afraid of the sun for too long, but what are "crag" and "GUTS"? see, maybe i'll get the thin letter for not knowing these things as well:laugh:

maybe i've been cowering in my bedroom afraid of the sun for too long, but what are "crag" and "GUTS"? see, maybe i'll get the thin letter for not knowing these things as well:laugh:

shapeimage_3.png

6a00c2251e4b50549d00c22521dafef219-320pi

hmm. do you mean one letter on each cheek? get out the magic marker and post a pic for a, um, professional opinion. :D

Wow, I finally got around to joining the facebook group...
There are actually cute pre-meds!?!?!??!!!?
By this I mean like...there are a LOT of cute pre-meds?!!?!?

Now how come I haven't yet visited an actual med school where everyone was super cute lol.

is this an sdn facebook group? or pre-med?

woah, talk about blast from the past!! Next we're going to start talking about legends of the hidden temple. Why doesn't Nick have rockin' shows like those on anymore?
they do! i get some random digital cable channel that shows all the old nick game shows from the past (guts, legends, what would you do, double dare, etc.).

I am beginning to think that this will be the longest week of my life...

and it's only Monday.

Woah, I feel like I have been living under a rock. There is a countdown to March AND a facebook group and I am not part of either??? This is what taking that damn physical chemistry course this semester has driven me to.

On another note, Severus would you rather go to an MSTP or a regular MD program? I'm in a bit of a similar position myself waiting on some MD decisions in march. I'm leaning to the MSTP.

I am beginning to think that this will be the longest week of my life...

and it's only Monday.

It's odd... I think I've achieved some very weird state of calm. Is this nirvana or at least some sort of sugar-induced bliss? I have no clue, but at about 1:17 pm today, I just got really, really tired of worrying about it.

:luck: :luck: :luck: Everyone. Here's to hoping we all get some good news this coming month.

On another note, Severus would you rather go to an MSTP or a regular MD program? I'm in a bit of a similar position myself waiting on some MD decisions in march. I'm leaning to the MSTP.

Overall, I'd rather go MSTP.

Howevever, if I find myself in love with a school that I just applied MD to, I'd probably go there and apply for the dual degree during MS1. If I've gotta stay in one place for 8-9 years, I better darn well enjoy the school and location. :D

:luck: (not that you really need it... you have some awesome acceptances in the bag already!!) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Woah, I feel like I have been living under a rock. There is a countdown to March AND a facebook group and I am not part of either??? This is what taking that damn physical chemistry course this semester has driven me to.

physical chem can definitely do that to you. :)

are you on facebook? we should be friends!

physical chem can definitely do that to you. :)

are you on facebook? we should be friends!

Facebook is almost as addicting as SDN. There's a group for MD/PHD 2007 applicants. You should join!

Edit is not working so just going to make a new post.

Totally found and friended you PB&J.

Facebook is almost as addicting as SDN. There's a group for MD/PHD 2007 applicants. You should join!

Holy ****, there is. Awesomeness... stalking begins tonight!!

In other news, I'm dying here. I wonder if they've made decisions yet. Why oh why does Columbia have to interview like three billion people? WHY??Q!?!?!?!

Holy ****, there is. Awesomeness... stalking begins tonight!!

In other news, I'm dying here. I wonder if they've made decisions yet. Why oh why does Columbia have to interview like three billion people? WHY??Q!?!?!?!

I suspect that the decisons have already been made. It's kinda like waiting for your MCAT score. They have your numerical score long before they send it to you. Two days from now, they'll be mailing the envelopes. Good luck.

I suspect that the decisons have already been made...Two days from now, they'll be mailing the envelopes.

an absolutely cringe-worthy prospect. good luck, everyone...

Nah, not at all!

I, um, may or may not have promised my first-born child to one of my Harvard interviewers...

Nah, not at all!

I, um, may or may not have promised my first-born child to one of my Harvard interviewers...

As long as you didn't promise to have your first-born child with one of your Harvard interviewers, I think it's ok.