Oregon State 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oregon doesn't have a mandatory dress code, such as what to wear to lecture right? I heard some schools require students to always be in business casual whenever they are in class. Also do they record each lecture so that students can review outside of class?
There is no dress code. 4th year I think there is a dress code. Green pellas on large animal, business casual on small animal with a white coat. There may be scrub rules, but I'm not sure.
Some professors record lecture, some do not. Others want to, but can't figure out lecture capture. You are welcome to bring a tape recorder and record for yourself, but you need to ask professors if they are ok with it before you share it with anyone/on the shared drive/etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oregon doesn't have a mandatory dress code, such as what to wear to lecture right? I heard some schools require students to always be in business casual whenever they are in class. Also do they record each lecture so that students can review outside of class?
No mandatory dress code. As far as lecture capture, most classes use it in some form or another. It is the primary form of lecture for some classes. Sometimes there can be technical difficulties, but most of the time its available.

Officially accepted my seat! :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is taking everything in me to not order an OSU martingale on etsy lol!

Reactions: 1 users
@katashark @caddisfly Hi there, I'm wondering what kind of scholarships are available for OSU Vet students to apply for, particularly for OOS students? How difficult is it to get them? Thanks in advance.

@katashark @caddisfly Hi there, I'm wondering what kind of scholarships are available for OSU Vet students to apply for, particularly for OOS students? How difficult is it to get them? Thanks in advance.
There are a lot of scholarships that become available while you are a first year. Most of them are small, but every bit helps. We also have a lot of scholarships that are outside of OSU to apply for. A lot of them are interest-dependent. I'm an OOS student as well.
Scholarships
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/sites/vetmed.oregonstate.edu/files/non-osu_scholarship_list.pdf

Hope some of you guys are coming to Open Days over the next few weeks! There are plenty of students that come for a Q&A panel, which is great! Come say hi <3

Reactions: 3 users
Hope some of you guys are coming to Open Days over the next few weeks! There are plenty of students that come for a Q&A panel, which is great! Come say hi <3
I went to Open Day yesterday and the student panel was so helpful! :) I'm really excited to start in the fall. Everyone was incredibly nice and Corvallis is beautiful!

I went to Open Day yesterday and the student panel was so helpful! :) I'm really excited to start in the fall. Everyone was incredibly nice and Corvallis is beautiful!

I'm so glad you liked it! I was on the panel and I was super excited to talk to you guys! Seemed like a great group of students!!

How often do you wear or need to wear scrubs? There is a sale somewhere but I don't wanna jump the gun if they aren't needed

How often do you wear or need to wear scrubs? There is a sale somewhere but I don't wanna jump the gun if they aren't needed

You will not need scrubs until your 3rd year in the program. Even then you will only need from twice per week at the most.
However, I find scrubs to be wonderfully comfortable and they are pricey, so if you found a sale, picking up a pair wouldn't be a bad idea.
If you plan on working in a clinic over the summers too, they will come in handy sooner.

You will not need scrubs until your 3rd year in the program. Even then you will only need from twice per week at the most.
However, I find scrubs to be wonderfully comfortable and they are pricey, so if you found a sale, picking up a pair wouldn't be a bad idea.
If you plan on working in a clinic over the summers too, they will come in handy sooner.
What do y'all wear for anatomy lab?

Also, I can tell you aren't IS since you said pricey lol

Members don't see this ad :)

For gross anatomy lab, you will need a full length lab coat (not one of the half-length, jacket versions). You can either purchase an embroidered one from one of the clubs at the school (you will probably get an email from them in the coming weeks/months) or you can bring one that you already own. I brought mine with me from undergrad.

You will get a white coat at the white coat ceremony, but those are typically not used for anatomy lab. You will want to save your white coat for rounds, rotations, and special events in the future.

Dang it. I have been revealed! Bahaha. Is pricey a super non-Oregon thing to say...?

Dang it. I have been revealed! Bahaha. Is pricey a super non-Oregon thing to say...?
Most of the people I know from Oregon say spendy instead. It's a super regional word which I didn't know until I left the area.

Quick plug for Pet Day 2018!

If you are going to be in the area and want to see the school, participate in fun activities, or snag some OSU CCVM merch before you start Fall term, be sure to come out to Pet Day on May 5th!

Okay, that is all. :)

For anyone else on the wait list: Tess will be able to let us know if they need additional seats filled on 4/17 and if they do need additional spots filled by that day, they will be meeting on the 18th to complete a ranking. These next few days are going to feel like a year.

For anyone else on the wait list: Tess will be able to let us know if they need additional seats filled on 4/17 and if they do need additional spots filled by that day, they will be meeting on the 18th to complete a ranking. These next few days are going to feel like a year.

Are you out of state?

Yes, I am out of state. I'm imagining it's a similar timeline for in state as well though! Hopefully you hear something good!

Gotcha!! That would be ultra painful not knowing your rank this whole time!! In-state they can let you know. I hope I hear something good too. This is the 2nd time I've been on the waitlist..... *dying inside*

I was pulled off the wait list today and accepted my position in the class of 2022. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Will we get a list of supplies that we need at some point?

Also, weird question but do y'all give HW prevention to your dogs/is it recommended? Growing up in OR my parents didn't but I didn't know if that was common practice because HW isn't as prevalent or if they should've given it. I am deciding whether to stock up on HG or just buy it for when I will be in the Midwest.

Will we get a list of supplies that we need at some point?

Also, weird question but do y'all give HW prevention to your dogs/is it recommended? Growing up in OR my parents didn't but I didn't know if that was common practice because HW isn't as prevalent or if they should've given it. I am deciding whether to stock up on HG or just buy it for when I will be in the Midwest.
9D2027EB-208A-4333-B8E7-42E69797B402.gif

Heartworm has prevalence in all 50 states and confirmed positive cases have been found nationwide (even Alaska!) and while the intermediate host (mosquitoes) typically die during winter if it gets cold enough, it’s still a big problem. Most vet schools have discounts or free HW preventive. And then different drug companies give us products for free like frontline or nexguard. Check with a current student as well to see what free stuff y’all get.

Paging @katashark for confirmation. :love:

(they train us in Oklahoma too well on heartworms and ticks. :laugh:)

View attachment 232869

Heartworm has prevalence in all 50 states and confirmed positive cases have been found nationwide (even Alaska!) and while the intermediate host (mosquitoes) typically die during winter if it gets cold enough, it’s still a big problem. Most vet schools have discounts or free HW preventive. And then different drug companies give us products for free like frontline or nexguard. Check with a current student as well to see what free stuff y’all get.

Paging @katashark for confirmation. :love:

(they train us in Oklahoma too well on heartworms and ticks. :laugh:)
What if school is free and they're just charging $45k for the heartgard??? Inflation hit that stuff hard.

Does OSU offer (human) rabies vaccinations?
One school mentioned that they require all first year students to be vaccinated but my primary care physician didn't have any vaccine and wasn't sure where I could get it.

One school mentioned that they require all first year students to be vaccinated but my primary care physician didn't have any vaccine and wasn't sure where I could get it.
Yes, the school offers them fall term of first year. They are somewhat discounted and it can be hard to find places to get it. I believe travel clinics have them, but check prices. They’ll let you know how much they are through the school at some point along the line.

OSU definitely offers it, but it is pricey... But it will be pricey wherever you get it. If you are already working in a clinic and are covered under their health insurance, then the insurance MIGHT cover it, so you should look into that. I worked for a company that had it covered by the health insurance. So I spent a bunch of time tracking down a place to get it done at (not easy to do), so I got it for free, which was really nice. If you don't have that option, then I recommend just doing it at the school. It was around $500 I believe to do it at the school and it at least a couple hundred more everywhere else I looked at getting it done.

OSU definitely offers it, but it is pricey... But it will be pricey wherever you get it. If you are already working in a clinic and are covered under their health insurance, then the insurance MIGHT cover it, so you should look into that. I worked for a company that had it covered by the health insurance. So I spent a bunch of time tracking down a place to get it done at (not easy to do), so I got it for free, which was really nice. If you don't have that option, then I recommend just doing it at the school. It was around $500 I believe to do it at the school and it at least a couple hundred more everywhere else I looked at getting it done.
Is the rabies vaccine the only required immunization for us? I’ve heard of other schools requiring other vaccines, like meningococcal B vaccine.

Oregon State requires the meningococcal B vaccine. Do it early because there is a booster that you need to get a month apart from the first one. :)

Is the rabies vaccine the only required immunization for us? I’ve heard of other schools requiring other vaccines, like meningococcal B vaccine.

@buggymanatee is right! Only exception is if you are over 25 (maybe 26?) then you don't have to get it. You're probably younger than that. But just so you and others know, if you are over that age then you do not need to get it.

Anyone else excited to get the email with more info??! I know I was! But now I have to see if those coveralls will actually fit me.

Do people buy all the textbooks or buy them from previous classmates?

I'm in Portland rn but I will be moving down to Corvallis in the next week. If anyone is looking for housing, contact me! I have two open rooms at my house.

Anyone else excited to get the email with more info??! I know I was! But now I have to see if those coveralls will actually fit me.

Do people buy all the textbooks or buy them from previous classmates?

I'm in Portland rn but I will be moving down to Corvallis in the next week. If anyone is looking for housing, contact me! I have two open rooms at my house.

Purchasing textbooks is kind of a personal preference. There are a couple of texts that you should have for your first year to make things easier, but none of them are really required. A lot of students have put together a document that has all of the good options to have on it so you can reference that. A lot students also put on a book sale at the beginning of each year, so you can get them for pretty cheap then! We also have a relatively extensive, semi-illegal stash of PDF versions of many textbooks.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, some Bigs choose to gift a few of their old textbooks to their Littles. I know my big gave me a copy of the Cunningham physiology text and dissection of the dog book. Personally, I like to have physical copies of the books, but many people use the online PDF versions. If you are the kind of person that prefers to have a physical copy, maybe start looking on Amazon for things to save in your cart, but I can almost guarantee you that you can get a book for much cheaper from an upperclassman. In addition to the book sale in the beginning of Fall, some students choose to post their old books on Facebook and sell them that way. :) I can't wait to have a Little!

@caddisfly @buggymanatee thank you very helpful!

Does anyone know more about the feeding program? What brands are offered and at what discount rate? I am wondering for my greyhound mostly

Does anyone know more about the feeding program? What brands are offered and at what discount rate? I am wondering for my greyhound mostly

The following were from the Oregon State c/o 2021 thread.

Yes! I think there is Royal Canin and Hills programs, as well as Oxbow for any exotics. I personally don't have any pets, but they talk about how to sign up for this at orientation. :) There are some pretty good discounts from what I hear. There are certain days each month (usually Wednesdays) where people can pick up food across the street from the vet school.

Yes, we do have a feeding program. Hill's is by far the least confusing to get products through, and we get a nice discount. Purina has changed the way they do things almost every year for 3 years, so I'm no sure exactly what the process is this year. Royal Canin ships to your home, which is nice. Oxbow only does school deliveries 1-2X per quarter, but they give a nice discount too.

@DVMdreamcometrue yes I was wondering more the discount amount.

What kind/style of shoes do people usually use for anatomy labs and large animal things? I haven't grown up spending that much time around large animals so I am wondering if I need to buy leather or waterproof boots or anything like that. I also didn't know if people wear sneakers or some waterproof shoes for anatomy. Advice/tips?

What kind/style of shoes do people usually use for anatomy labs and large animal things? I haven't grown up spending that much time around large animals so I am wondering if I need to buy leather or waterproof boots or anything like that. I also didn't know if people wear sneakers or some waterproof shoes for anatomy. Advice/tips?
Totally randomly stalking this thread but I suggest checking out sloggers for shoes for anatomy lab. They're waterproof (so juices don't get in your shoes) and they have awesome designs to choose from! I have dairy cows, goats, and paw print shoes. I know they had other designs too!

Totally randomly stalking this thread but I suggest checking out sloggers for shoes for anatomy lab. They're waterproof (so juices don't get in your shoes) and they have awesome designs to choose from! I have dairy cows, goats, and paw print shoes. I know they had other designs too!
I creep through threads all the time, it’s fine

But now I need to go look at these rain boots.....

The only requirement for shoes for gross anatomy lab is that they are closed toed. They can be whatever you want, besides that. For the cats and dogs, there really isn't much in the way of juices that will get everywhere, but there is more of that risk for large animals. However, I found that it preferred to wear comfortable sneakers to lab because you are there for a long time and I just wanted to be as comfortable as possible. For Animal Care labs, large animal teaching labs, and large animal rotations, you will be required to wear boots (like muck boot type stuff) to go to the dairies and stuff like that. So investing in a pair of quality boots is a good idea as you will use them repeatedly throughout your time in the program. However, that being said, I know a LOT of people who just bought a cheap pair of Sloggers like @MixedAnimals77 mentioned and that seems to be working out well for them! Personally, I have a pair of Muck Boots for the dairies and particularly dirty days and a pair of tough hiking boots to wear for long days on my feet in the hospital because they are more comfortable for me.

TL;DR: closed toed shoes for lab and get a pair of water proof boots (quality is often not that important)

Reactions: 2 users
The only requirement for shoes for gross anatomy lab is that they are closed toed. They can be whatever you want, besides that. For the cats and dogs, there really isn't much in the way of juices that will get everywhere, but there is more of that risk for large animals. However, I found that it preferred to wear comfortable sneakers to lab because you are there for a long time and I just wanted to be as comfortable as possible. For Animal Care labs, large animal teaching labs, and large animal rotations, you will be required to wear boots (like muck boot type stuff) to go to the dairies and stuff like that. So investing in a pair of quality boots is a good idea as you will use them repeatedly throughout your time in the program. However, that being said, I know a LOT of people who just bought a cheap pair of Sloggers like @MixedAnimals77 mentioned and that seems to be working out well for them! Personally, I have a pair of Muck Boots for the dairies and particularly dirty days and a pair of tough hiking boots to wear for long days on my feet in the hospital because they are more comfortable for me.

TL;DR: closed toed shoes for lab and get a pair of water proof boots (quality is often not that important)
How high up do the boots need to go for the farm and dirty days? Would a pair of blundstone boots be suitable for that? Or ariats? Or just bogs and muck boots?

How high up do the boots need to go for the farm and dirty days? Would a pair of blundstone boots be suitable for that? Or ariats? Or just bogs and muck boots?

There is no minimum height requirement. That is a personal preference. Mine go up about 3/4 up my lower leg

My muck boots arrived one week after my dairy farm lab for animal care class, I wish I had them sooner because cows poop a lot. I was using my Brahma steel-toed work boots before I got my muck boots. Haha, I still like to use my Brahmas for foal team shifts and minor things. But yeah, the muck boots are a great choice (especially if you are planning on tracking large animal).