Oregon State 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone! I just received an offer today from OSU CVM and I accepted! I have yet to read all of the posts here, but any advice on the basics of what I will need (and/or how I could find that information) would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though I'm a bit behind since I was just offered a seat and would like to be as prepared as I can be. Thank you in advance. I look forward to meeting some of you in the somewhat near future!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I just received an offer today from OSU CVM and I accepted! I have yet to read all of the posts here, but any advice on the basics of what I will need (and/or how I could find that information) would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though I'm a bit behind since I was just offered a seat and would like to be as prepared as I can be. Thank you in advance. I look forward to meeting some of you in the somewhat near future!
CONGRATS!!

Hi all,

This is directed to any current students. My family is considering buying a place in either Albany or maybe a condo in Corvallis. I’ve been living in Corvallis the past two years so I’m familiar with it. However, Albany is much cheaper than Corvallis to purchase something and would require a longer commute. Sometimes I need that therapeutic drive so I don’t think it will bother me much. But mainly my question is - would it be worth more to stay in Corvallis or do ppl do the Albany thing all the time? I don’t want to be too far away but also considering cost etc.

Thanks for any pointers!

How is the CVM merit based scholarship situation at OSU? Are there lots of opportunities for scholarship money if you are in the top x% of the class?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

This is directed to any current students. My family is considering buying a place in either Albany or maybe a condo in Corvallis. I’ve been living in Corvallis the past two years so I’m familiar with it. However, Albany is much cheaper than Corvallis to purchase something and would require a longer commute. Sometimes I need that therapeutic drive so I don’t think it will bother me much. But mainly my question is - would it be worth more to stay in Corvallis or do ppl do the Albany thing all the time? I don’t want to be too far away but also considering cost etc.

Thanks for any pointers!
does oregon state have any requirement for 4th years to be within a certain distance of the school during rotations?? I'm not from oregon and have no idea how far apart these two cities are, but I do know that other schools have a certain max distance you can live, so I just don't want you to buy something and then later find out that it's too far from school.

does oregon state have any requirement for 4th years to be within a certain distance of the school during rotations?? I'm not from oregon and have no idea how far apart these two cities are, but I do know that other schools have a certain max distance you can live, so I just don't want you to buy something and then later find out that it's too far from school.

Many students live in Albany and make the commute to school. That is not unreasonable. I prefer to live in Corvallis because I like to be able to get to the school quickly if I forget something or wanted to study at school. However, it is totally fine to live in Albany. In your fourth year you are required to able to get to the school and be ready to work within 20 minutes of being called in. So if you speed, you can do that from Albany. However, a lot of people who live farther away, just hang around the Corvallis area while they are on call, if possible.

So in summary, living in Albany is definitely is reasonable thing to do, and that decision should really be based on what is the most important to you as an individual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How is the CVM merit based scholarship situation at OSU? Are there lots of opportunities for scholarship money if you are in the top x% of the class?
There are scholarship opportunities varying from $500 to several thousand. Most of them are not based on if you are in the top X% of the class, but there are some for that as well. Scholarships

Hi all! I have been a long time lurker on SDN and this is my first post. I am a current Class of 2021 student in search of a new roommate who wants to be on our lease for next year. We would love to have a fellow vet student and I basically own all of the books you will need for your first year so you will have access to an epic library with us! Please send me a message ASAP if you are in search of a place to live!

Any recommendations on how to go about getting books? Should I wait and try to buy them the first week of school? Is it even necessary to have them? Any resources for getting them online? Any books you think everyone absolutely needs?

I guess that makes sense. I am just drawing from my personal experience. Right before my freshman year, a new science building and a new arts building opened. After my freshman year, a new CS, math, and physics building opened. I got the awesome facilities throughout my college experience but heard about all the construction and crappy facilities that previous years had to deal with. It would be totally different if OSU kept open all their current facilities and if the ones in place weren't out of date, just needed expansion. It sounds like this is possibly more the case? You would know better than me haha.
Hi there! I was looking at some forums for OSU and I see that you are an OSU vet student and I'm currently OOS wailisted. I was wondering if I could ask you some questions for OSU and WSU? I'm also OOS WSU waitlisted and I was just curious how your experience with that was!

Hi there! I was looking at some forums for OSU and I see that you are an OSU vet student and I'm currently OOS wailisted. I was wondering if I could ask you some questions for OSU and WSU? I'm also OOS WSU waitlisted and I was just curious how your experience with that was!
Of course! Feel free to ask them here or send me a PM.

I found out I was accepted to OSU before my WSU interview. Honestly I would've cancelled it but I has already paid for a flight and hotel so I went anyways. I never really intended to go/wanted to go to WSU, especially after being accepted to OSU. I took myself off their waitlist when they sent an email asking if I wanted to stay on it or not. I do know it is very hard to get off their waitlist usually, especially for Pullman.

Of course! Feel free to ask them here or send me a PM.

I found out I was accepted to OSU before my WSU interview. Honestly I would've cancelled it but I has already paid for a flight and hotel so I went anyways. I never really intended to go/wanted to go to WSU, especially after being accepted to OSU. I took myself off their waitlist when they sent an email asking if I wanted to stay on it or not. I do know it is very hard to get off their waitlist usually, especially for Pullman.
I PM'd you!

Hi! I don't know if anyone looks at this anymore, but I heard there were a few open spots in the class of 2022 and I applied to transfer. I was wondering where most students live/ affordable options?

thanks!! (fingers crossed)

Hi! I don't know if anyone looks at this anymore, but I heard there were a few open spots in the class of 2022 and I applied to transfer. I was wondering where most students live/ affordable options?

thanks!! (fingers crossed)
What school are you looking to transfer from? Also, just curious where you heard there were a few open slots?

I am unsure if there are open slots but I can tell you what I know. Afaik, our class (may?) have 1 spot (also possibly more if I am not totally in the know). So far, 4 people from our original class are no longer in our class. Winter quarter, 4 people from the c/o 2021 joined our class (there is a very difficult class that term). One of them is no longer continuing. Another member of the '21 class didn't pass a class this year. I am unsure if they have plans to join ours next year or not, but I do know they get priority over transfers.

As for housing, it's really dependent on what your needs and wants are. I know of several members of our class who live in Salem and Albany, which I would never do just because of the distance. Some people live at the retreat or other complexes super close to school, which I wouldn't want to do personally because of the noise and expense. A lot of people live in 2+ bedroom apartments or townhouses, while I prefer living in a house. Many people live in south town, which is essentially a food desert with 1 grocery store, but can have cheaper houses.
So basically, it really all depends on what your highest priorities are. For me, I wanted to live somewhere that was close to school and in a quiet area where I could have animals. If you could provide specifics, I might be able to help you out a bit more. If price is your #1 requirement, you can find a lot of cheap crappy places around lol. or Southtown, Albany, or philomath could also be more affordable.
I may have an opening in my house in august (roommate doesn't know their plans rn).

Last edited:
What school are you looking to transfer from? Also, just curious where you heard there were a few open slots?

I am unsure if there are open slots but I can tell you what I know. Afaik, our class (may?) have 1 spot (also possibly more if I am not totally in the know). So far, 4 people from our original class are no longer in our class. Winter quarter, 4 people from the c/o 2021 joined our class (there is a very difficult class that term). One of them is no longer continuing. Another member of the '21 class didn't pass a class this year. I am unsure if they have plans to join ours next year or not, but I do know they get priority over transfers.

As for housing, it's really dependent on what your needs and wants are. I know of several members of our class who live in Salem and Albany, which I would never do just because of the distance. Some people live at the retreat or other complexes super close to school, which I wouldn't want to do personally because of the noise and expense. A lot of people live in 2+ bedroom apartments or townhouses, while I prefer living in a house. Many people live in south town, which is essentially a food desert with 1 grocery store, but can have cheaper houses.
So basically, it really all depends on what your highest priorities are. For me, I wanted to live somewhere that was within biking distance to school (I don't own a car) and in a quiet area where I could have animals. If you could provide specifics, I might be able to help you out a bit more. If price is your #1 requirement, you can find a lot of cheap crappy places around lol. or Southtown, Albany, or philomath could also be more affordable.
I may have an opening in my house in august (roommate doesn't know their plans rn).

oh, you know.. people start talking and that's how things go! its a tiny island so word gets around quick. I'm looking to transfer from Ross.

thanks for all the help with housing, you gave a lot of specific areas for to start searching in. I'm definitely more of a quiet, house type as well.. 2 dogs so they need all the space and yard to run in.

if I hear good news, mind if I PM you for more info?? thanks!!

oh, you know.. people start talking and that's how things go! its a tiny island so word gets around quick. I'm looking to transfer from Ross.

thanks for all the help with housing, you gave a lot of specific areas for to start searching in. I'm definitely more of a quiet, house type as well.. 2 dogs so they need all the space and yard to run in.

if I hear good news, mind if I PM you for more info?? thanks!!
Sure feel free to Pm me