Oregon State 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, first rejection. Good luck to the rest of you and have a great time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
@llamasandcows thank you! That was really helpful. Hopefully it’s one of those crazy years they go through the waitlist. Congrats to those who received acceptances and keep your chin up if not! Rootin’ for all of you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email of my OOS alternate standing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Can people who were accepted or waitlisted post their stats? If you're comfortable, of course. I'm curious (and nosy)

Can people who were accepted or waitlisted post their stats? If you're comfortable, of course. I'm curious (and nosy)
OOS WICHE Applicant - Waitlisted
Cumulative GPA - 3.45
Science GPA - ~3.5
Last 45 GPA - 3.92
Vet experience - ~450 hours
GRE V/Q/W 82%, 59%, 82%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if we'll get a packet in the mail or is it just the acceptance email? Still can't believe I got in. I'm so happy especially after having no luck last year.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS Waitlist (from AZ, non-WICHE though)

Cumulative Undergrad GPA = 3.36 from primary school, 3.47 overall
Overall Science GPA = 3.18 (Physics...)
Last 45 Units GPA = 3.8
GRE Analytical Writing = 5.0
GRE Quantitative = 153
GRE Verbal = 155

2000+ Animal Hours (companion animals, rodents, lagomorphs, avians)
2500+ Veterinary Hours (companion animals, caprines, equine, avians, wildlife, fish, porcine, rodents, lagomorphs)
64 Research Hours ( currently on an IACUC protocol for another project currently, but this was when my app was submitted)
300+ Employment Hours (non-animal related)

I think I'll go visit the area just in case they go through the alternate list. I'm excited though

Congratulations to those who were offered invites today! I remember how excited I was when I received my acceptance. If you have any questions about the school or the area, please let me know! I just finished my first quarter of veterinary school and I'm home for the holidays, so feel free to shoot me a message or ask us on the forum. There are a few current students on here that would love to talk to you all.
For those of you on the waitlist, keep your chin up! Waiting can seem like forever, but I promise that the list will move. Oregon State has scheduled Open Days for accepted students in the Spring. They will probably email you about them in the coming weeks. Of the 20 or so people that were at my Open Day, only about four of us accepted our offer at OSU.
Good luck to anyone waiting to hear from other schools! Will hear back soon enough and I hoping for good news!

Waiting can seem like forever, but I promise that the list will move. Oregon State has scheduled Open Days for accepted students in the Spring. They will probably email you about them in the coming weeks. Of the 20 or so people that were at my Open Day, only about four of us accepted our offer at OSU.

Can you clarify for me: are the Open Days exclusively for accepted students? Or do the alternate students also get notified about Open Days? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question!

OOS waitlist (WA)

Cumulative GPA: 3.8
Science: 3.65 (at time of application)
last 45: 3.67
GRE Quant: 165
GRE Verbal: 166

Animal hours: 2569 (including 1200 that was animal-related employment)
Veterinary hours: 292 (plus 270 interning at WSU VTH, which for some reason admissions doesn't consider vet experience :shrug:)
Work hours: 1120 (non-animal related)
Volunteer: 269

OOS Waitlist (from AZ, non-WICHE though)

Cumulative Undergrad GPA = 3.36 from primary school, 3.47 overall
Overall Science GPA = 3.18 (Physics...)
Last 45 Units GPA = 3.8
GRE Analytical Writing = 5.0
GRE Quantitative = 153
GRE Verbal = 155

2000+ Animal Hours (companion animals, rodents, lagomorphs, avians)
2500+ Veterinary Hours (companion animals, caprines, equine, avians, wildlife, fish, porcine, rodents, lagomorphs)
64 Research Hours ( currently on an IACUC protocol for another project currently, but this was when my app was submitted)
300+ Employment Hours (non-animal related)

I think I'll go visit the area just in case they go through the alternate list. I'm excited though

From the time I've spent in Corvallis, which granted isn't much, it seems like a pretty nice place to go to school. As a totally non-biased source (lol) Oregon is simply awesome. There are so many things to do related to the outdoors, music, art, politics, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Alternate, PA resident

BS in Veterinary Science
MS in Food Safety

Cumulative GPA: 3.57
Science: 3.55
Last 45: 3.85

Veterinary hours: 1000+ between large, small, and exotic
Animal hours: 1500
Research: 2400 (worked for the United States Department of Agriculture)
Work hours: 8320 (non-animal related, I currently work in public health/food safety)

Can you clarify for me: are the Open Days exclusively for accepted students? Or do the alternate students also get notified about Open Days? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question!

Open Days are exclusively for accepted OOS students (not sure if WICHE is included in that). But you can always email Tess Collins and schedule a separate visit if you would like! I'm sure she would plan a tour for you if you did it in advance.

Open Days are exclusively for accepted OOS students (not sure if WICHE is included in that). But you can always email Tess Collins and schedule a separate visit if you would like! I'm sure she would plan a tour for you if you did it in advance.
Cool thank you! I probably will do that then.

OOS Accepted
GPA 3.8
Science GPA 3.75
GRE: 74%/86%/93%
Vet experience: 1200 hours
Animal experience: 1400 hours
Research: 800 hours

Omg I am so happy for you!!!!1

Thanks @ziggyandjazzy i've been walking on clouds all day :)

OOS accepted
BS Biology
MA Marine and Environmental Affairs
Cumulative GPA 3.85
Science GPA 3.82
GRE V-165 (96%) Q-155 (59%) A-5.0 (93%)
Vet hours 2100
Animal hours 2100 (including pet care)
Research hours 1600

OOS rejected! Congratulations to everyone :love::love:You're going to vet school!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those who were offered invites today! I remember how excited I was when I received my acceptance. If you have any questions about the school or the area, please let me know! I just finished my first quarter of veterinary school and I'm home for the holidays, so feel free to shoot me a message or ask us on the forum. There are a few current students on here that would love to talk to you all.
For those of you on the waitlist, keep your chin up! Waiting can seem like forever, but I promise that the list will move. Oregon State has scheduled Open Days for accepted students in the Spring. They will probably email you about them in the coming weeks. Of the 20 or so people that were at my Open Day, only about four of us accepted our offer at OSU.
Good luck to anyone waiting to hear from other schools! Will hear back soon enough and I hoping for good news!

@buggymanatee can you talk about some of the pros and cons of the school that you've experienced so far? I'd like to know more, and there's not too much on the Factors When Picking A School thread. You having a good time? :)

OOS Alternate (NY)
BS Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Minors in Biology and Biochemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.675
Science GPA: 3.63
GRE: V-158 (80th %ile), Q-156 (62nd %ile), AWA-5.5 (98th %ile)
Veterinary Hours: 8,763
Non-veterinary animal hours: 3,296
Research hours: 1,875

Just registered for the Open Campus day on March 16 ^_^

Just registered for the Open Campus day on March 16 ^_^
ahhhh I'm so jealous why can't it be january! I want to know!! hahaha. (sorry if this doesn't make sense, finals brain)
Anyways, I'm sure it will be super fun!

@buggymanatee can you talk about some of the pros and cons of the school that you've experienced so far? I'd like to know more, and there's not too much on the Factors When Picking A School thread. You having a good time? :)
I'm a current 2nd year at oregon. DM me any time :) Congrats to all those with offers. Waitlisters, still keep your heads up! Those of you who got less than stellar news, wait for your other schools and continue to improve your application! You've all got this!

Aww man, I wish I brought my little Pros and Cons notebook home for winter break to share that with you. I wrote down details about the programs for each school and made a pros and cons list for each. It was really helpful in reaching a decision, and I highly recommend doing something similar. :D
It really is beautiful out here! That is why I applied in the first place. It is located in a more rural area with a cute little downtown nearby. Downtown Corvallis is awesome! Such great food, drinks, and atmosphere. And even though it's rural, there are still chains nearby (Chipotle, Burger King, Target in Albany). For the school itself, I really fell in love with it because it felt like home... smallest class size (despite the increase in students this year), smaller school, and very caring faculty members. When I visited during the Open Days, I was very impressed by how beautiful the campus is and by how comfortable I felt in the vet school. All of the professors have been super nice as well! There are some downsides... like there is not a lot of room with the increased class size, and the quarter system limits our opportunities for summer internships. However, there are ways of getting around this. Additionally, the Hatfield Marine Center and Wildlife Safari were huge pros as well. I am hoping to work with marine animals/wildlife/research in the future, so the proximity to the coast was also a plus! I am very happy with my decision! I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Aww man, I wish I brought my little Pros and Cons notebook home for winter break to share that with you. I wrote down details about the programs for each school and made a pros and cons list for each. It was really helpful in reaching a decision, and I highly recommend doing something similar. :D
It really is beautiful out here! That is why I applied in the first place. It is located in a more rural area with a cute little downtown nearby. Downtown Corvallis is awesome! Such great food, drinks, and atmosphere. And even though it's rural, there are still chains nearby (Chipotle, Burger King, Target in Albany). For the school itself, I really fell in love with it because it felt like home... smallest class size (despite the increase in students this year), smaller school, and very caring faculty members. When I visited during the Open Days, I was very impressed by how beautiful the campus is and by how comfortable I felt in the vet school. All of the professors have been super nice as well! There are some downsides... like there is not a lot of room with the increased class size, and the quarter system limits our opportunities for summer internships. However, there are ways of getting around this. Additionally, the Hatfield Marine Center and Wildlife Safari were huge pros as well. I am hoping to work with marine animals/wildlife/research in the future, so the proximity to the coast was also a plus! I am very happy with my decision! I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

where else did you get accepted @buggymanatee ?

Current OOS 3rd year student here! Congrats to everyone for getting into the program/waitlisted. Those of you who did not make it, keep the faith and you will get there!! Let me know if you guys have any questions!!

OOS Alternate (NY)
BS Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Minors in Biology and Biochemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.675
Science GPA: 3.63
GRE: V-158 (80th %ile), Q-156 (62nd %ile), AWA-5.5 (98th %ile)
Veterinary Hours: 8,763
Non-veterinary animal hours: 3,296
Research hours: 1,875
Are you a non-trad? I always wonder how people get so many hours! Your vet hours are over 4 years of full time work!! And all your hours are more than 6.5 years total!! Makes me feel so inexperienced lol

Hey any first years hanging out here? I'm wondering how good of a job they did making more room for everyone in the classrooms and anatomy lab with the expanded class size?

Sorry, I've been busy playing WW, lol. It has not been perfect, but I feel like they have done a pretty decent job of ironing out the kinks on us. We have 2 groups in anatomy labs (both micro and gross) and it works pretty smoothly now. Obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't feel like we are missing out on anything.

Are you a non-trad? I always wonder how people get so many hours! Your vet hours are over 4 years of full time work!! And all your hours are more than 6.5 years total!! Makes me feel so inexperienced lol

Hey ziggyandjazzy, no I'm actually 21 but my mother is a veterinarian so every summer I worked my butt off in her clinic and others. During every break, I was in a clinic. I go to college in another state and it has the #1 pre-veterinary program in the world, which gave me so much hands-on experience with every livestock animal imaginable (goats, sheep, beef and dairy cows, dairy calves, chickens, and horses). I worked every free minute to get more and more experience because I crave it. But I did get credit for some of it, for example, in my Dorset Sheep class I got around 5 hours of experience a week for 13 weeks which is 65 hours right there :) Everyone gets experience different ways and I was lucky because I grew up in the veterinary school community, so I bet you're doing great for someone who wasn't in an animal hospital from the time she was in the womb haha :p

Hey ziggyandjazzy, no I'm actually 21 but my mother is a veterinarian so every summer I worked my butt off in her clinic and others. During every break, I was in a clinic. I go to college in another state and it has the #1 pre-veterinary program in the world, which gave me so much hands-on experience with every livestock animal imaginable (goats, sheep, beef and dairy cows, dairy calves, chickens, and horses). I worked every free minute to get more and more experience because I crave it. But I did get credit for some of it, for example, in my Dorset Sheep class I got around 5 hours of experience a week for 13 weeks which is 65 hours right there :) Everyone gets experience different ways and I was lucky because I grew up in the veterinary school community, so I bet you're doing great for someone who wasn't in an animal hospital from the time she was in the womb haha :p

dang girl. what's your undergrad?

The amount of hours you have would mean a full time job since you were 14 then.

The amount of hours you have would mean a full time job since you were 14 then.
@ChoopLoops, UMass Amherst :)

and ziggyandjazzy, my mother owns her own house call practice full time and works full time at a clinic. Just working in that clinic every summer and winter break full time and with my mother's house call practice in addition, accounted for approximately 6,000 of those hours :)
I've been working at vet hospitals since I was 13 and around veterinarians gaining experience for longer. I only included hours from the time I was 13 and upward. Also, I think it should be noted I was accumulating a lot of these hours at the same time. All of my research hours were from a part time job in a lab on campus. I know it may seem implausible to you, but I worked really hard to get where I am. I may have had more advantages, but that doesn't diminish the fact that I honestly had no social life during my undergrad. I never went out to parties because I was studying or gaining experience at clinics, a zoo, becoming certified as a wildlife rehabilitator, and working at 3 farms at once for 3 years. I calculated my hours fairly and went over them over a dozen times to ensure that I was accurate with them. I have kept a log of what I have done since I was 15 so I know my numbers to be fairly accurate. So it is possible to have as many hours as I do :)

and ziggyandjazzy, my mother owns her own house call practice full time and works full time at a clinic. Just working in that clinic every summer and winter break full time and with my mother's house call practice in addition, accounted for approximately 6,000 of those hours :)
I've been working at vet hospitals since I was 13 and around veterinarians gaining experience for longer. I only included hours from the time I was 13 and upward. Also, I think it should be noted I was accumulating a lot of these hours at the same time. All of my research hours were from a part time job in a lab on campus. I know it may seem implausible to you, but I worked really hard to get where I am. I may have had more advantages, but that doesn't diminish the fact that I honestly had no social life during my undergrad. I never went out to parties because I was studying or gaining experience at clinics, a zoo, becoming certified as a wildlife rehabilitator, and working at 3 farms at once for 3 years. I calculated my hours fairly and went over them over a dozen times to ensure that I was accurate with them. I have kept a log of what I have done since I was 15 so I know my numbers to be fairly accurate. So it is possible to have as many hours as I do :)
You go girl! ;) if you don’t make it off the waitlist you’ll for sure get in somewhere! I have pretty similar hours to you too but not as many research hours but I’ve been working at an exotic animal sanctuary since I was 12 and then moved in when I was 16 then worked full time all through college. I kept a log as well just to be sure I was accurate! Good luck with admissions! I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Wow do you think the admissions committees view working at a relative's clinic the same way as other clinics? Perhaps there is no way to know but it would be interesting to see. I haven't seen other people on here whose relatives are vets which I actually find quite surprising. Maybe a lot of people see the ugly side more in depth and say no thanks? lol :p who knows. That's awesome your mom provided such awesome hours for you!

I spent a ton of time at a med school as a kid because my dad worked at one and I took the school bus there in order to get home for 8 years. If I was applying to med school I don't think they would look at the experience as super positive but then again in the description I would have to put something like "played Neopets online and generally bothered researchers" lol.

You go girl! ;) if you don’t make it off the waitlist you’ll for sure get in somewhere! I have pretty similar hours to you too but not as many research hours but I’ve been working at an exotic animal sanctuary since I was 12 and then moved in when I was 16 then worked full time all through college. I kept a log as well just to be sure I was accurate! Good luck with admissions! I’m sure you’ll be fine!
I literally can't imagine working full time through college. Every time I hear someone say they went to school full time and worked full time I am just amazed! I felt busy doing 10 hours a week at a clinic and being a d3 varsity athlete. No way I could've handled full time and kept my GPA. You should be super proud!!

Just an email! I'm WICHE and there are very few positions at OSU so not too surprised. But don't worry too much, I bet everybody will hear soon!;)
Well I’m sure I don’t have the highest GPA out of everyone who applied but I did work very hard and I had to work while I went to college. I was lucky enough to have jobs that were all animal related though.

Would it be inappropriate to have a cat in the headshot they ask for?

I'm getting so excited and nervous for tomorrow! I'm driving down today to spend more time in Corvallis. Any recommendations for restaurants that have good gluten free food? I'm living that celiac life lol.

Just curious... does anyone know from previous years when Oregon State contacted alternate applicants about available seats? Is it usually after the April deadline? Thanks!

Just curious... does anyone know from previous years when Oregon State contacted alternate applicants about available seats? Is it usually after the April deadline? Thanks!

I have heard of a student who heard as late as mid-late June. That was probably a special circumstance. But it is possible!

I think it went pretty well! Once I got into the flow of the MMIs, they were actually kind of fun. But then again, they really suit my personality and strengths quite well. They told us there were 55 people interviewing for 40 slots so that's pretty good odds.

I think it went pretty well! Once I got into the flow of the MMIs, they were actually kind of fun. But then again, they really suit my personality and strengths quite well. They told us there were 55 people interviewing for 40 slots so that's pretty good odds.
Sweet they told you that? I forgot to ask and I’ve been dying to know!

Does anyone know why they interview Oregon residents only? It doesn’t affect me but I’ve just been dying to know out of curiosity.

that's great. and wow really good odds :p
do you know when you'll be hearing back?

@Huckfinnhip Yes Tess Collins said that. There was just over 100 IS applicants. I can't remember the number but something like 101 or 103. She told us 55 interviewees for 40 IS slots and that they will likely only accept 40 but that some will be places on a waitlist. I would imagine that not many people turn it down for IS.

@hdmz_hulagirl Someone asked that question and their answer is what I figured it would be. Tess said that they have historically had a low amount of OOS slots and that they thought it was a large process to undergo, specifically financially for applicants. She also said the process has seemed to work for them so they haven't felt a need to change it.

@ChoopLoops We will hear by the end of the month! Tess said that and I got an email today that said that as well.