Oregon State 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziggyandjazzy

the smallest feline is a masterpiece
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread since one hasn't been posted for OSU yet. Who else is applying? I just noticed they put up the Class of 2021's stats on their website. It looks like they have increased the number of OOS students which is interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured I would start a thread since one hasn't been posted for OSU yet. Who else is applying? I just noticed they put up the Class of 2021's stats on their website. It looks like they have increased the number of OOS students which is interesting.

I was wondering when this thread would get started up! I'm class of 2019 at OSU right now. They did just increase to 72 starting with Class of 2021. 40 IS and 32 OOS from now on! People are excited about it. If you have any questions, let me know! Good luck applying!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering when this thread would get started up! I'm class of 2019 at OSU right now. They did just increase to 72 starting with Class of 2021. 40 IS and 32 OOS from now on! People are excited about it. If you have any questions, let me know! Good luck applying!!
Did they increase the number of OOS students because they need more money? Or have their been expansions of the current facilities to accommodate more students?

I'm planning to visit soon and I'm pretty excited! I'm not that familiar with Corvallis honestly as a lot of my family went to UO. They said the only reason I would be allowed at OSU would be for vet school :p

Did they increase the number of OOS students because they need more money? Or have their been expansions of the current facilities to accommodate more students?

I'm planning to visit soon and I'm pretty excited! I'm not that familiar with Corvallis honestly as a lot of my family went to UO. They said the only reason I would be allowed at OSU would be for vet school :p
My whole family is all UO, but I went to Oregon State for undergrad as well. I got so much crap for it :rolleyes: but I told my family I'd consider UO when I could get college credit for riding horses there...

My understanding is that they are going to expand the facilities, but increased seats first to help pay for it.

My understanding is that they are going to expand the facilities, but increased seats first to help pay for it.
Hm sounds like the next few classes may get the short end of the stick on that deal lol. Is OSU still the smallest vet school or did it surpass someone with increases to class size?

Hm sounds like the next few classes may get the short end of the stick on that deal lol. Is OSU still the smallest vet school or did it surpass someone with increases to class size?
Hmm, I think I heard they are still the smallest, but I'm not positive, sorry.

I don't know if I would necessarily say that the new class is getting the short end of the stick. It is going to be a difficult transition for all of the classes there. But the expansion is supposed to be completed by the time class of 2021 gets to their clinical year. Guess you never know with this stuff, we will see how it goes.
Also, I believe that OSU still has the smallest class size even with the increased number.

I don't know if I would necessarily say that the new class is getting the short end of the stick. It is going to be a difficult transition for all of the classes there. But the expansion is supposed to be completed by the time class of 2021 gets to their clinical year. Guess you never know with this stuff, we will see how it goes.
Also, I believe that OSU still has the smallest class size even with the increased number.
I guess that makes sense. I am just drawing from my personal experience. Right before my freshman year, a new science building and a new arts building opened. After my freshman year, a new CS, math, and physics building opened. I got the awesome facilities throughout my college experience but heard about all the construction and crappy facilities that previous years had to deal with. It would be totally different if OSU kept open all their current facilities and if the ones in place weren't out of date, just needed expansion. It sounds like this is possibly more the case? You would know better than me haha.

I guess that makes sense. I am just drawing from my personal experience. Right before my freshman year in undergrad, a new science building and a new arts building opened. After my freshman year, a new CS, math, and physics building opened. I got the awesome facilities throughout my college experience but heard about all the construction and crappy facilities that previous years had to deal with. It would be totally different if OSU kept open all their current facilities and if the ones in place weren't out of date, just needed expansion. It sounds like this is possibly more the case? You would know better than me haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah ha I hadn't found this thread before. I'm applying *waves* First time applicant, OOS :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ah ha I hadn't found this thread before. I'm applying *waves* First time applicant, OOS :)
How did your tour go?? Lol sorry continuing the conversation in a different thread

Last edited:
Lol its fine, this is a more appropriate place for it anyway :p We're all mixed up on times lol, my tour is tomorrow!
Where else are you applying @ziggyandjazzy ?
WSU, U Missouri, and NC state. I actually figured Pullman is pretty much on the way to a drive to Missoula in a few weeks so I may stop by there as well. Let me know how the tour was! I basically just had the opportunity to ask Tess a lot of questions first. She seemed very nice.

WSU, U Missouri, and NC state. I actually figured Pullman is pretty much on the way to a drive to Missoula in a few weeks so I may stop by there as well. Let me know how the tour was! I basically just had the opportunity to ask Tess a lot of questions first. She seemed very nice.
She is very nice! When I went over my app review for last cycle she was very helpful.

She is very nice! When I went over my app review for last cycle she was very helpful.
What did she say in your app review? I'm a little worried about the diversity of my experiences

Sent you a pm- hope it went through!

@HeatherB will you share with me as well?

@ziggyandjazzy my tour day was really weird. there was some sort of USDA CE going on, and I got put in a tour with a bunch of USDA veterinarians...there were supposed to be 2 tour guides but only one showed up so I had to be in this really big group and didn't get much of a chance to talk to the student guide (which was what I really wanted). To be fair, I got her contact info and we're trying to coordinate a time I can call her and ask more questions. Then when I went upstairs to meet Tess the front desk person was like "oh she's not here, she left for a trip" and I was like "umm no I confirmed our meeting yesterday" o_O So anyway, we had our meeting and it was fine. TBH I felt a lot more welcome when I met with the WSU admissions/recruitment people. They were asking me a lot of questions, wanted to get to know me etc, were very encouraging. I definitely would recommend trying to meet with them!

@HeatherB will you share with me as well?

@ziggyandjazzy my tour day was really weird. there was some sort of USDA CE going on, and I got put in a tour with a bunch of USDA veterinarians...there were supposed to be 2 tour guides but only one showed up so I had to be in this really big group and didn't get much of a chance to talk to the student guide (which was what I really wanted). To be fair, I got her contact info and we're trying to coordinate a time I can call her and ask more questions. Then when I went upstairs to meet Tess the front desk person was like "oh she's not here, she left for a trip" and I was like "umm no I confirmed our meeting yesterday" o_O So anyway, we had our meeting and it was fine. TBH I felt a lot more welcome when I met with the WSU admissions/recruitment people. They were asking me a lot of questions, wanted to get to know me etc, were very encouraging. I definitely would recommend trying to meet with them!
That is totally different from my experience! Now that I think about it though I tried to meet with her later in the week and she said she was going on vacation. I got a personal tour with her and to chat with her and my mom and partner which was nice.

Last edited:
That is totally different from my experience! Now that I think about it though I tried to meet with her later in the week and she said she was going on vacation. I got a personal tour with her and to chat with her and my mom and partner which was nice.

wow. that is extremely frustrating to hear. i made this trip down from seattle and got just shuffled around. man.

wow. that is extremely frustrating to hear. i made this trip down from seattle and got just shuffled around. man.
Dang I'm sorry. You did or didn't get to meet with Tess? I'm sure you just caught them on a bad day unfortunately.

I'm likely going to WSU next week so hopefully I have a good time there.

Hey are there any current students that would be willing to phone chat with me about your experience and the program? I've been trying to get a hold of the person that gave me a tour a few weeks ago but she's been really hard to track down, and I didn't get the best experience on the tour so I was hoping to get more information. I'd love to hear more!

Looks like my macbook pro might be fried. Does OSU require students to have a certain computer? If not, for current students, do you or others find it helpful to have touchscreen capabilities? I'm looking at certain 2-1s like the lenovo yoga 910, the microsoft book, etc. I'm kind of done with Apple for a while lol.

Looks like my macbook pro might be fried. Does OSU require students to have a certain computer? If not, for current students, do you or others find it helpful to have touchscreen capabilities? I'm looking at certain 2-1s like the lenovo yoga 910, the microsoft book, etc. I'm kind of done with Apple for a while lol.
Touchscreen capabilities (without being a full tablet) are a complete game changer. I'm in undergrad at the moment, and don't take my notes on my laptop, but find it infinitely useful for every other purpose. A laptop with a touchscreen will positively impact your everyday efficiency, even if you don't use it for note-taking purposes. If you want to hear a quick tangent regarding efficiency, a second monitor for use at home is a game changer as well if you don't have one set up yet.

Hey are there any current students that would be willing to phone chat with me about your experience and the program? I've been trying to get a hold of the person that gave me a tour a few weeks ago but she's been really hard to track down, and I didn't get the best experience on the tour so I was hoping to get more information. I'd love to hear more!

ChoopLoops, I am a current third year student in the program, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have about the program. I'm sorry to hear that your tour experience was sub par, usually the tour guides are really helpful!

My bad y'all. You know it's bad when I post in completely the wrong thread. Carry on

Last edited:
ChoopLoops, I am a current third year student in the program, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have about the program. I'm sorry to hear that your tour experience was sub par, usually the tour guides are really helpful!

@caddisfly thank you! i ended up asking Tess to send me some names and i was able to talk to some really great classmates of yours :) my application is all sent in! hopefully i'll have good news in a few months and then i'll have more questions for ya :p

Question, I know Oregon states it has 29 positions for Non-residents, but how many OOS students do they offer admissions to? Do they accept 29 and then waitlist everyone else until people who were accepted begin to decline?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the supplement: how close to 200 words should we be? do you think it would be in poor form to go over that amount? They give more characters than my 200 words lol

For the supplement: how close to 200 words should we be? do you think it would be in poor form to go over that amount? They give more characters than my 200 words lol
I came to this thread looking to see if anyone asked this exact question lol. Both of my short essay answers were about 20 words over, but well under the character limit.....plus they give you another box for additional space? I'm curious to see what other people did before I hit the submit button!

I came to this thread looking to see if anyone asked this exact question lol. Both of my short essay answers were about 20 words over, but well under the character limit.....plus they give you another box for additional space? I'm curious to see what other people did before I hit the submit button!
I just submitted mine. One was ~20 words over and close to the character limit and one was ~35 words over and at least 150 characters under. I didn't use the additional space. I figured they won't go through and count each word. Those extra words only added on a sentence or two so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal... at least hopefully lol

I just submitted mine. One was ~20 words over and close to the character limit and one was ~35 words over and at least 150 characters under. I didn't use the additional space. I figured they won't go through and count each word. Those extra words only added on a sentence or two so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal... at least hopefully lol
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one and that it wasn't a 'do not under any circumstances go over 200 words' kind of thing lol

Question, I know Oregon states it has 29 positions for Non-residents, but how many OOS students do they offer admissions to? Do they accept 29 and then waitlist everyone else until people who were accepted begin to decline?

I was under the impression that there were 32 positions for OOS? I could be wrong. But I think they take 40 ISS and 32 OOS for a total of 72 students. As far as I am aware, I believe that they accept the full 32 positions (or maybe even a handful more) and then wait list everyone else and then pull students from the wait list as people decline the offer.

Reactions: 2 users
How much do people usually pay for rent? Like a room in a house 2 miles or less from campus

How much do people usually pay for rent? Like a room in a house 2 miles or less from campus

There is quite a bit of variability. If you want to be within 2 miles of campus, the prices jump up pretty significantly. There are some apartments close to campus that are about $900-$1400ish depending on location, quality, and size. There are also plenty of old houses around campus that people rent rooms out of. I would say on average, to rent a room in a house with other people you are looking anywhere from $450-$650 a month +/- utilities.

There is quite a bit of variability. If you want to be within 2 miles of campus, the prices jump up pretty significantly. There are some apartments close to campus that are about $900-$1400ish depending on location, quality, and size. There are also plenty of old houses around campus that people rent rooms out of. I would say on average, to rent a room in a house with other people you are looking anywhere from $450-$650 a month +/- utilities.
Wow apartments can be expensive!!

I guess that makes sense. I am just drawing from my personal experience. Right before my freshman year, a new science building and a new arts building opened. After my freshman year, a new CS, math, and physics building opened. I got the awesome facilities throughout my college experience but heard about all the construction and crappy facilities that previous years had to deal with. It would be totally different if OSU kept open all their current facilities and if the ones in place weren't out of date, just needed expansion. It sounds like this is possibly more the case? You would know better than me haha.
Hey there! I'm also a third year student. OSU CVM is expanding the services offered at the veterinary hospital, so they need additional space for those clinicians and patients. It's my understanding that we're building teaching space and hospital space outwards from current facilities, and not demolishing current structures. Does that help answer your question? :)

Wow apartments can be expensive!!

Yea, they can get pretty expensive. But there are more reasonably priced apartments if you are willing to live farther from campus. I live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment (900 square feet) that is located about 4.5 miles from campus. And the rent there is $950-$1000. I like it here a lot. If you are going to the apartment route, then getting a multi-bedroomed apartment and roommates is the way to go.

Hey there! I'm also a third year student. OSU CVM is expanding the services offered at the veterinary hospital, so they need additional space for those clinicians and patients. It's my understanding that we're building teaching space and hospital space outwards from current facilities, and not demolishing current structures. Does that help answer your question? :)

I agree with Aerie. Our current facilities are not out of date or crappy by any means. And everything is going to stay open and functioning during construction. They are just adding on to our current facilities and building a new building on our campus as well! It is going to be great once it is all finally done!

Yeah I asked that before I went on a tour. Tess clarified everything and made me feel better about it for sure.

Good luck to those of you who applied this cycle! I'm assuming more people will trickle in as we get closer to December -- Welcome to the thread! I am a first year OOS student at OSU CVM. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to any of us!

P.S. Corvallis is a gem. Cute little town for sure. :love:

Hey!

Were you interviewed for the OOS position? Or have they always conducted interviews for just in-state? I feel more pressure without an interview... how will I stick out enough to be initially accepted. Trying to not refresh my email every five seconds until November/December

Hey!

Were you interviewed for the OOS position? Or have they always conducted interviews for just in-state? I feel more pressure without an interview... how will I stick out enough to be initially accepted. Trying to not refresh my email every five seconds until November/December

Yeah Oregon only interviews in-state applicants. The waiting game has started :eek:

Good luck to those of you who applied this cycle! I'm assuming more people will trickle in as we get closer to December -- Welcome to the thread! I am a first year OOS student at OSU CVM. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to any of us!

P.S. Corvallis is a gem. Cute little town for sure. :love:
I watched ya'lls white coat ceremony. Good luck this year!