Organic Chem - Pre-MD: Organic Chem for Biology Major or Organic Chem for Chemistry Majors...???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dude....

The Dude Abides...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright gentleman,

Got a dilemma. Signing up for organic chem...only problem is my university has two. One set for Biology majors and another more in-depth for Chemistry majors. Which one do I take? If the chemistry major one isn't required for MD schools then I would like to take the one for BIO majors. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Alright gentleman,

Got a dilemma. Signing up for organic chem...only problem is my university has two. One set for Biology majors and another more in-depth for Chemistry majors. Which one do I take? If the chemistry major one isn't required for MD schools then I would like to take the one for BIO majors. Thanks
Hi.
Do I know you?

To answer your question, are you able to get a description of the classes or talk to some students enrolled in them? I would talk to your advisor in this situation, because I really don't know how the courses differ to comment .... My university only offered one organic Chem (1&2) that was for both bio and Chem majors.

Reactions: 1 user
I smell an imposter...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure that there is a lab associated with the version for bio majors. At my school, the lighter O chem series doesn't have a lab, so anyone who is planning on going to med school has to take the more in-depth series in order to get their required two credits of O chem lab.

O chem for bio majors is acceptable as a prereq. Schools used to have a series of chemistry, physics, and calc for life science majors that was acceptable to medical schools.

Some medical schools recommend or imply that selecting a more rigorous course of the two will be noted by an adcom and/or make you more competitive. However, having a good grade will matter more. So take the course that you can do best in
Awesome advice, thank you

Just make sure that there is a lab associated with the version for bio majors. At my school, the lighter O chem series doesn't have a lab, so anyone who is planning on going to med school has to take the more in-depth series in order to get their required two credits of O chem lab.
Fortunately for me both have labs

Some medical schools recommend or imply that selecting a more rigorous course of the two will be noted by an adcom and/or make you more competitive.
Do you really think that this is the case though? several of my interviewers couldn't even remember what major/school I went to, much less course selection.....